Multiple crashes

KarolinaKatt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

REcetnly my Firestorm has been crashing more and more frequently. Last days more than once every fifth minute. This forced me to make a totall uninstall - cleaned everyting - and install the new Firestorm Beta. But this behaves exactly the same. I have Windows 10 Home edition. I have set all graphics to low, my cache to max, it still crashes badly. I cant no longer do anything in SL. Does anyone have an idea what is happening? I am now practiacally unable to run SL and it is very sad.

The crashes are weired. Parts of SL is first stopping. I notice it is about to chrash when I cannot open profiles, I can rotate my avatar, but not move in any direction. No IM is reaching me and I am probably not able to send IMs either, despite it is looking like that. After some minutes the screen goes grey and a pop up tells me it has crashed.

Tapkoinu, interesting.

Tell me how your internet is set up. Is the problem similar to mine? It is appering when on ethernet on router - NOT when on wifi on the same router. If I disconnect the router and run SL directly from internet, it is at least a bit more persistant, I have been logged out there also, but not been able to verify if it is caused by the same reason.

On 2/25/2019 at 2:25 PM, KarolinaKatt said:

Tapkoinu, interesting.

Tell me how your internet is set up. Is the problem similar to mine? It is appering when on ethernet on router - NOT when on wifi on the same router. If I disconnect the router and run SL directly from internet, it is at least a bit more persistant, I have been logged out there also, but not been able to verify if it is caused by the same reason.

So,  looking at an earlier post someone asked which servers we were on. and i noticed the server i get bumped from consistently is Magnum. I spent some time on a sim on the main one, and I've been fine, no logouts/crash at all. For me, it seems to be completely server based.

My internet is setup  has me on wifi and im next to the router, but consistently ive been testing being on different locations in SL and it seems the same locations in SL were kicking me (Magnum) while others didnt.

Magnum is not a server. It's a channel.  Specifically, one of three beta channels referred to as Server Release Candidate (RC) channels on which Linden Lab runs updates to server code on selected regions before they release them across the grid. Server code is updated every couple of weeks in a rolling fashion as the Lab repairs bugs or introduces improvements for server performance.  You can always read the details of the current release in the Server Release Notes.or by clicking directly on the name of a region's server when you open About Second Life from the Help menu in your viewer.  The RC channels the restarted every Wednesday in the same rolling fashion that Main Channel servers are restarted on Tuesdays. Like all servers in LL's farm, the software and, in fact, the machines assigned to specific regions changes randomly so that each region is rarely on the same server for more than a few weeks at a time.

• Thanks 1

It should, if it really was s server issue and not a problem with your viewer, your computer, or your Internet connection.  So, you can either wait for the next rolling restart (Wednesday for RC channel servers) or the next time they roll out a new server update, OR you can put in a support case and ask them to restart your region (if it's a mainland region.  If it's a private estate, ask the estate owner to restart it).

Edited by Rolig Loon

On 2/27/2019 at 4:45 PM, tapkoinu said:

So, would this mean then,, in theory, once the machines change, the problem I and others are experiencing would correct themselves during the next refresh?

Well... I think it unlikely. When the grid restarts, region by region, the simulator is very likely to move to another set of hardware. Regions in a server are taken down and brought up on a server with the updated simulator software. The server a region was on is taken down once all the regions are offloaded and then gets updated. Once it is updated then regions shutting down come up on it. The idea is to have a region down for the shortest possible time.

I've never heard the Lindens talk about how long the process for an individual server takes. But, the main channel takes 3 to 7 hours to restart. Start and finish times vary from week to week. This is something like 4,000 servers that update. Presumably several are updating at the same time. But, you've seen your computer update and know it takes several minutes on average and sometimes an hour or more. They do not make a region wait. They shut it down and immediately restart in a server with updated software.

So, each week your regions are likely to be on different hardware. This week the RC channels are updating. The main channel is on the same version for the third(?) week. Magnum has run the same version for two weeks (I think) and got updated this week.

So, if you are having the problem on main channel regions, there is no reason the problem would go away this week. On Magnum there is a chance. I suggest you try some Blue Steel and Le Tigre channel regions and see if the problem occurs there. 

File a JIRA. Lindal gave you the link above. Some people have been getting disconnected every few minutes since early February. Older hardware and weak connections seem to be the common attribute of those having the problem. Provide all the info you can region name and as precise a time as possible are key. Server logs are kept for 3 to 4 days.

Look in your log file to see if it provides a reason for the crash/logoff. See 

The only way to get this fixed is to provide the Lindes enough information to figure out what is happening. So, file a JIRA and keep adding to it.

Problems is persisting. I tried today to first log into SL and then connect the ethernet cable from the router. I immediately got stuck from walking, I can still rotate around, but not walk and after a minute or two I get logged out from SL.

I have still not got a new router, cause I am not 100% convinced it is caused by the router. It seems likely, but I would like to know for sure. There are no othere problems when the cable iss conencted, as far as I have seen. That is weired to me.

On 3/24/2019 at 6:00 AM, KarolinaKatt said:

Problems is persisting. I tried today to first log into SL and then connect the ethernet cable from the router. I immediately got stuck from walking, I can still rotate around, but not walk and after a minute or two I get logged out from SL.

I have still not got a new router, cause I am not 100% convinced it is caused by the router. It seems likely, but I would like to know for sure. There are no othere problems when the cable iss conencted, as far as I have seen. That is weired to me.

A common pre-disconnect state is not being able to walk or TP. You can spin and cam around. At this point this viewer is working with what it has and has lost connection to the servers. The viewer reports a disconnect when it finally times out. There are times when connection is restored. The wait is to give the system a chance to recover. Whirly explained this earlier.

Your in your 4th month now... change something.

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Your in your fourth month now... change something.

Sigh yes - I know I probably shold get a new router. I cant come up with anyting else to change. But with a very limited budget, I am scared for the possibility that the router is not the problem. And when it does not shows any problem in any other application, it is making me confused.

I had obviously not understood Whirlys answer, but thank you for explaining once more. It always helps to understand what is happening. But as I said before here, I CAN use a TP to reset SL again, alas for a few minutes only, obviously meaning I retain connection to SL. Can this be within my router only? Dosent it need some action from SL?

I've long since lost track of what you have tried and what you haven't.  Did you add the Google free DNS server to whatever is already in your router?  That's another of the standard things to try when your Internet connection is wonky.   Adding it won't affect anything else, but it gives your system one more routing option when it is trying to determine how to create the most stable connection to the LL servers.

That you can TP and prolong your connection time is very much what others started experiencing with the server updates made 2 or 3 months ago. The Beta Server UG has been discussing the problem for a couple of months. The hope is the latest updates would solve the problem. I missed the last meeting. So, I didn't hear if Rex, the person experiencing the problem, saw it stop or persist. As best we can tell his problem is server side. So, a new router would not help.

14 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

That you can TP and prolong your connection time is very much what others started experiencing with the server updates made 2 or 3 months ago. The Beta Server UG has been discussing the problem for a couple of months. The hope is the latest updates would solve the problem. I missed the last meeting. So, I didn't hear if Rex, the person experiencing the problem, saw it stop or persist. As best we can tell his problem is server side. So, a new router would not help.

Thank you Nalates. I cant decide if it was a good or bad answer, but it did clear things out. I will stick wiht my problems and not hurry to get a new router. Good to know and thanks again.

I just tried filing a bug report in JIRA as the problem started happening again this week. (I probably did it wrong, Its not a very easy thing to figure out or at least it wasnt for me ^^;;;)

Once again, it was the Magnum channel.

• Thanks 1

Thought I would post an update: I filed the bug report and got a response and pretty much, since I encountered the issue using Singularity and not the SL viewer they wont take a look at it. I have to reproduce the problem with the SL viewer and only then they will pretty much care. Ive tried using the SL viewer to reproduce it, but haven't had the problem so..I guess Ill have to use that viewer from now on...which is unfortunate because I really hate its UI very very much and find it makes my machine run slower and physically hotter (Which was why i used Singularity in the first place). So...at this point i'm just...screwed.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:16 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

There are other third party viewers.  Have you tried Firestorm?

Unfortunately, Firestorm caused my laptop to overheat on multiple occasions including causing it to trigger a response where its power cut itself off. the surface of the laptop was so hot it nearly burned my hand. Getting a cooling pad wasn't enough to help it. I love its user interface but my laptop just cant handle it. Its why I went to singularity after, because it was known to be less draining on computer resources.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:30 PM, tapkoinu said:

Thought I would post an update: I filed the bug report and got a response and pretty much, since I encountered the issue using Singularity and not the SL viewer they wont take a look at it. I have to reproduce the problem with the SL viewer and only then they will pretty much care. Ive tried using the SL viewer to reproduce it, but haven't had the problem so..I guess Ill have to use that viewer from now on...which is unfortunate because I really hate its UI very very much and find it makes my machine run slower and physically hotter (Which was why i used Singularity in the first place). So...at this point i'm just...screwed.

There is a known bug with the Singularity release & alpha viewers that causes many users to be disconnected ~ every 15 minutes since LL made recent changes to the server.
Singularity have a fix for these disconnects in their nightly viewer builds.
Make sure you are using the latest nightly version of Singularity viewer from here: https://virtual-nexus.xyz/down/
Does that fix the problem?

Edited by Whirly Fizzle

7 hours ago, tapkoinu said:

Please forgive what may be an obvious question but whats a nightly build? Are these different from the alpha releases?

Thanks for the link!

The nightly is different from the alpha builds yes.
A "nightly" build is just a software development term for a build of a program that tends to be built once a day, or built whenever there is new code added.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_build

I had a chat with Liru from Singularity earlier & he said that there should be a new nightly up on https://virtual-nexus.xyz/down/ today sometime with an even better fix for the 15 minute disconnects and the new fix may possibly help with the TP disconnects too.

• Thanks 1

I have to sadly say that my problem of being logged out from SL when on Ethernet but not on Wifi persist after several months. It is soo frustrating, since my router does not show any errors for anyting else. And I still can "save" from being logged out by making a TP when I notice I freeze from movement. Sorry to repeat this, but maybe someone new reads it or someone alreadey in this thread, got some new ideas.

Thank you Linda. I have gone through it several times and reset it completely at least two times during this problem and nothing have helped. If i knew more speciofically what I should look for, But what confuses me is that it is only problem with SL, and, as I said, if i notice that my avi freeze, which is the start of the logout, I then TP, and I can move again and can use SL normally for a few minutes until it freezes again. I cant understand how this can be the problem.  Nalates Urriah have hinted that it can be the TP problem of SL but It is not the same, I think.

OK update: Router and windows have updates, and some of them seems to have made SL last longer before it disconnects me. Another thing pointing at the router is that I have finally borrowed another router - alas only reaching half the speed I have on my internet - and it seems to work without logging me out. I have a Netgear R6220. Does anyone have an idea of any setting in the router that coudl affect this problem?

And Linda Kidd I misunderstood you a bit. I was talking about resetting my router. THe WDM is not my best thing, I do not really know what to look for there. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.