Can't See Animesh

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I bought a half dozen of the much-vaunted new Animesh items, and I can't see them do anything. They are static.

It's my understanding that the viewer from the latest SL download enables you to see Animesh, and it is now the regular download and deployed on the main grid. See the Lindens' blog.

So, first I tried in a regular premium sandbox and saw nothing, and thought, oh, maybe this is not considered "the main grid."

I then went to several sims on the Mainland -- they remain static.

What more do you have to do to see Animesh? I haven't read anywhere that there is a check-off box.

I've tried putting back in inventory and taking out again (the objects I bought don' have "mod" so you can't reset scripts).

I thought perhaps like "Experiences" there is some land menu check-off, but I haven't seen one. So what's up?

I could remark also that SL was working terribly for months, and I had a whole thread about this, in which nearly everyone insisted that this was my fault, on my end.

And then all of a sudden it got a lot better. This has happened so many times over the years that now I reach for the explanation "their softmare" instead of "my computer" each time, although I'm happy to see if Windows is incompatible or drivers need updating or what have you. But it wasn't and they don't.

Now hey, I didn't change anything on my end. Same ISP, same computer, same graphics card, etc. One thing I did -- although this was a few weeks ago -- was to delete the chat notepad file. I noticed that this bad boy went back to 2016, which means it is a humongous file of everything in your room chat for 2 years. It's impossible even to scroll through it. Wow. I didn't know notepad documents could hold that much. Now, I don't mind this -- it's way better than what *used* to happen, which is that every new update deleted all your chat, destroying your records. Somehow, the Lindens for a good long time never cared about this really awful thing, deleting your files on your hard drive like that unnecessarily. Obviously, there's a way to do it otherwise because...now they do. Anyway, just in case the loading of that monster was at issue, I forced the system to generate a clean new file. It didn't seem to make any difference. But I just note it, just in case.

So what made a difference? In the last but current viewer, named after the Ukrainian drink Spotykach, the Linden devs grappled with this uber annoyance which I had called out any number of times to great skepticism which is that you are flying around and the system keeps checking if there are updates needlessly. (They didn't put it that way, but that's the net effect of a feral updater.) You don't need it to do that in mid-session of a log-on. It would be enough for each log-in. It was getting really annoying, leading to stalls and crashes sometimes. It doesn't seem to have gone away completely, but something they did may be accountable for why, now, instead of ten minutes of frozen grey squares and inability to click when you log on, there is only like 3 minutes. Big improvement. Moving from sim to sim seemed not to have long grey-square waits, either. So something in THEIR SOFTMARE changed, as hard as that is to believe.

When they then released Bug Splat, it seemed to improve further. Imagine, they killed bugs and performance improved, who knew.

But meanwhile, I realized that I can't see Animesh, for whatever reason.

UPDATE: So I'm wondering if this is a specific problem in the creations of some creators, they don't work, for whatever reason. I noticed that at an event, I could see the animesh on a thing working. Then I went specifically to Animesh1, the Animesh test grid. And there I could see the samples of things other people had made moving around as they were supposed to.

I rezzed out all the things I had bought. Only one of them moved slightly. The rest didn't budge. So, I dunno, maybe there's an issue for them and not me, or both.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's my understanding that the viewer from the latest SL download enables you to see Animesh, and it is now the regular download and deployed on the main grid. See the Lindens' blog.

Yes, if you update to the newest SL viewer, newest lack dragon or the public firestorm beta preview you should see it. Both the region server and the viewer need to be animesh capable in order to see it. Check if your SL viewer is version 6 or higher.

What more do you have to do to see Animesh? I haven't read anywhere that there is a check-off box.

Nothing, while there is a checkbox it turns rigged mesh into animesh, which is only needed if you want to create an animesh yourself. So as you rightly assume you should be more than able to see it.

I rezzed out all the things I had bought. Only one of them moved slightly. The rest didn't budge. So, I dunno, maybe there's an issue for them and not me, or both.  

This can have other reasons, some animesh items have movement scripts or are phyiscal, so they will change places but remain static.

Here is a small diagnostic to see if your viewer is animesh capable (caution: you might have to relog after that) take an animesh item and wear it. It should appear independent of your avatar. If it snaps to your avatar's rigging instead or folds you into a cat avatar your viewer is not updated yet... if that happens your avatar is most likely deformed and you will have to relog.

I can send you the fullperm Linden created animesh test item folder (or some later poster might point out where you can get that one inworld - sadly I forgot where I got it). Just contact me inworld or reply here if you want me to send it.

UPDATE: here is the test content location http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Animesh2/83/86/26

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

I agree with Fiona, in technical terms the implementation of Animesh is not significantly different to rigged mesh, there is nothing special that needs to be done beyond running the correct viewer. You mentioned bugsplat, which is a preview, and it is possible that that viewer has not had the Animesh branch merged in, as Fiona noted, if the viewer shows version 6 or above then you should be fine.

I would note that there is a lot of junk content on the marketplace that is labelled as Animesh and is not in any way whatsoever related to Animesh, just a typical scam by unscrupulous merchants. There is, however, an increasing amount of legitimate content and I would encourage you to get the sample content that Fiona linked. The "Animesh teddy" in that set can be worn, in which case it will hang limply in your hand, swinging gently, or rezzed on the ground, in which case it will wander using pathfinding.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.