Selling in MP with no premium account

Ewadir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1880 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have just start in SL and as a programmer (with help of my girlfriend, graphic designer), we are creating our first products (tattoo appliers and accessories). But none of us have a premium account. I was reading the Marketplace terms, and its required to link an PayPal account as payment information. 

My doubts: 1. Why? Do LL have a monthly tax or something over stores? 2. I don't want to link a credit card to my PP account, so I can't have a store, right? If so, how could I sell my items? Is it common to sell though some estabilished store?

Thank you very much.

I don't even have a credit card... my PayPal just accepted my bank account as verification...

My guess why they do demand payment info on file it is to prevent money laundring... if the feds decide to investigate someone they will have an adress to hand out.

4 minutes ago, Ewadir said:

That's weird, PayPal issue I suppose. In https://secondlife.com/my/account/billing.php, then in https://cashier.secondlife.com/addpaypal?lang=pt-BR, it asks me to link the PP account, but PP is working like if I was buying something, requiring a credit card with a message "Add a credit card to complete your purchase"...

your papypal has to be verified or it wil not work, "just" a working paypal isn't enough. The verification process is to prove you are the holder of a bank account ( and you can only be a holder of a bank account when you are a identified person by the bank.

4 minutes ago, Ewadir said:

It is verified (bank account), used it many times to get and do payments. Now it's requiring card. Maybe PP have changed.

It should work fine with just a bank account if it is 'verified'.  I would start with an LL Support ticket to pinpoint exactly what that message is meaning.
Create a Support Ticket: https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

or if the message is actually a PayPal message, check with their support - giving very detailed explanation of what you are trying to do.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ewadir said:

It is verified (bank account), used it many times to get and do payments. Now it's requiring card. Maybe PP have changed.

another thing LL requires is instant payment, if your paypal status, and/or bank doesn't support that it will also be declined. Normally a positive balance will take care of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems to me like a PP issue, my account is active, verified, I get freelancer work payments usually. I'll try with PP first and later update here for anyone with the same problem. Thank you all.

Just now, Ethan Paslong said:

another thing LL requires is instant payment, if your paypal status, and/or bank doesn't support that it will also be declined. Normally a positive balance will take care of this.

My PP balance is in Brazilian Real, maybe that's the point. I had similar problem with Steam years ago.

1 minute ago, Ewadir said:

Seems to me like a PP issue, my account is active, verified, I get freelancer work payments usually. I'll try with PP first and later update here for anyone with the same problem. Thank you all.

My PP balance is in Brazilian Real, maybe that's the point. I had similar problem with Steam years ago.

This is something you can solve with paypal itself if i'm not wrong.
You can add a second currency to use, so if you add USD it might be working better.
I'm not sure but something says to me i had USD as currency in the past too before LL (or paypal...) made the automatice transfer to Euro/USD

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ewadir said:

Maybe... I found a curious site claiming you had to ahve a positive balance of at least 25$ US ( at current change course,not neccesarily in US) so I added 5 € to my 20€ changed them to $US (just to be sure) and was at about 27$US back then which did the trick for me, no one was able to confirm this mystical 25$ limit but it seems to exist...

LL billing was blaming PayPal and PP was blaiming LL in not working - none of both hotlines told me about the 25$ trick...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

On 12/27/2018 at 1:36 PM, Fionalein said:

Maybe... I found a curious site claiming you had to ahve a positive balance of at least 25$ US ( at current change course,not neccesarily in US) so I added 5 € to my 20€ changed them to $US (just to be sure) and was at about 27$US back then which did the trick for me, no one was able to confirm this mystical 25$ limit but it seems to exist...

LL billing was blaming PayPal and PP was blaiming LL in not working - none of both hotlines told me about the 25$ trick...

Mine sits at zero and has for years, all it does it takes it directly out of my bank account.  odd.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Mine sits at zero and has for years, all it does it takes it directly out of my bank account.  odd.

apparently only new accounts are bothered with this . and obviously not all - whatever the banksters do there - it's a mysetry.

I tried to contact PayPal yesterday, no response until now. There is a video on YT saying PP is not making payments without a credit card, even if you have a bank account, since 2016. 

Not convinced, I changed my default PP currency to USD and tried to open my store again. No deal: keeps asking for a credit card.

I hate credit cards, so no store for me. I'd be really pissed off trying the 25 USD trick just to be asked for a cc again.

EDIT: and for some reason, I just realize I can't open tickets in Linden Labs site, as suggested by LittleMe Jewel. I try it, but they are not created.

Edited by Ewadir

Seu AV tem pouco mais de 2 meses e está sem Informações de Pagamento, para habilitar será preciso uma primeira transação com Lindens na sua conta, uma compra pequena que seja no Marketplace, se não me engano o mínimo é 5 dólares. Para isso basta comprar algo pequeno, preço baixo mesmo no MKT, não precisa comprar Lindens em si, eu fiz isso com a conta de minha esposa. Todavia cartão de crédito é fundamental pra vida, e hoje em dia existem muitos cartões com zero de taxas, muito fácil obter um, inclusive internacional... A LL não tem nada com relação a sua opção de não ter cartão de crédito, abrir ticket realmente é bobagem...

On 12/30/2018 at 6:34 AM, Axel Naxos said:

Seu AV tem pouco mais de 2 meses e está sem Informações de Pagamento, para habilitar será preciso uma primeira transação com Lindens na sua conta, uma compra pequena que seja no Marketplace, se não me engano o mínimo é 5 dólares. Para isso basta comprar algo pequeno, preço baixo mesmo no MKT, não precisa comprar Lindens em si, eu fiz isso com a conta de minha esposa. Todavia cartão de crédito é fundamental pra vida, e hoje em dia existem muitos cartões com zero de taxas, muito fácil obter um, inclusive internacional... A LL não tem nada com relação a sua opção de não ter cartão de crédito, abrir ticket realmente é bobagem...

Está sem informação de pagamento... porque não consigo inserir a informação de pagamento =D 

Li vários tópicos por aqui, e parece lugar-comum que qualquer conta PayPal, mesmo sem qualquer transação ou saldo, pode ser usada para vínculo com o site da Linden Research. A maioria dos usuários relata não ter vinculado o cartão, então não faz o menor sentido que o PayPal exija um cartão para tal operação. Ligaram pra mim hoje mas não estava em casa, estou aguardando outro contado deles (PP).

O ticket seria para perguntar porque o PayPal está tratando a operação como uma "purchase", já que não estou comprando nada.

Ok, now I have an official answer from PayPal. The problem is: depending on which bank is linked to our PayPal account, transactions in other currencies will be denied. Since it's a USD operation (even I'm not buying nothing at the moment) and my bank is Brazilian (BRL), the operation is denied. They advise was to get a prepaid virtual credit card.

This is really strange to me. I've received USD payments in the same account before, and PayPal was a gate before sending the money to my bank. They are talking like if any Linden Lab money would be taken or put directly in my account, with no prior processing. So what would PayPal be useful for?

Anyway, I'll try the virtual card. Thanks for all responses.

Para qualquer lusófono ou residente de outros países interessados, a resposta oficial do PayPal é que dependendo do banco que foi vinculado à sua conta, a transação é negada, pois o banco não aceita operações em moedas estrangeiras. O conselho do PP foi que, caso você não tenha ou não queira um cartão de crédito, obtenha um cartão pré-pago para completar a tarefa.

Edited by Ewadir

59 minutes ago, Ewadir said:

Ok, now I have an official answer from PayPal. The problem is: depending on which bank is linked to our PayPal account, transactions in other currencies will be denied. Since it's a USD operation (even I'm not buying nothing at the moment) and my bank is Brazilian (BRL), the operation is denied. They advise was to get a prepaid virtual credit card.

This is really strange to me. I've received USD payments in the same account before, and PayPal was a gate before sending the money to my bank. They are talking like if any Linden Lab money would be taken or put directly in my account, with no prior processing. So what would PayPal be useful for?

Anyway, I'll try the virtual card. Thanks for all responses.

Para qualquer lusófono ou residente de outros países interessados, a resposta oficial do PayPal é que dependendo do banco que foi vinculado à sua conta, a transação é negada, pois o banco não aceita operações em moedas estrangeiras. O conselho do PP foi que, caso você não tenha ou não queira um cartão de crédito, obtenha um cartão pré-pago para completar a tarefa.

Could you simply 'Add a currency' as Ethan suggested and then pre-fund that currency with money from your bank?  I'm not even sure that is possible based on the wording of the 'Add a currency' page:

image.png.b80a75f95ca70ba9a6b596c8abda8cc2.png

• Thanks 2

On 12/31/2018 at 6:20 PM, Ewadir said:

Enrolação... vai arrumar um cartão pré-pago, vai cadastrar, SE CONSEGUIR, em geral é recusado, mas caso consiga na hora da habilitação da LL ela vai descontar um valor pra confirmar se está ok toda situação, ou seja, vc vai precisar inserir crédito antes... Vc não ter loja porque não precisa, se precisasse mesmo ia arrumar um cartão...

On 12/28/2018 at 5:35 AM, Ewadir said:

I have just start in SL and as a programmer (with help of my girlfriend, graphic designer), we are creating our first products (tattoo appliers and accessories). But none of us have a premium account. I was reading the Marketplace terms, and its required to link an PayPal account as payment information. 

My doubts: 1. Why? Do LL have a monthly tax or something over stores? 2. I don't want to link a credit card to my PP account, so I can't have a store, right? If so, how could I sell my items? Is it common to sell though some estabilished store?

Thank you very much.

If you don't need verification it will become a copyright hell. Plus if you aren't making enough to cover the premium then there might not be a need to list those items. The premium after stipend is about $5-7 per year. 

On 12/27/2018 at 2:35 PM, Ewadir said:

Thank you very much.

You don't need to be a premium member to sale on the MP, but you do need payment information on file. This is to prevent people from creating accounts with the sole purpose of defrauding users, so consider the payment info requirement as a "proof of ownership" for your account and store.

That said, you are not taxed in any way nor charged anything for running your MP. LL just takes commission from all your sales.

If you want to sell products but don't trust LL with your payment info, there are other vending services (I personally use CasperVend) that will allow you to sell your products inworld, manage vendors, and even send product updates to all who have purchased you items (something the MP doesn't do!). So you have some options.

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2019 at 7:12 PM, Axel Naxos said:

Vc não ter loja porque não precisa, se precisasse mesmo ia arrumar um cartão...

Não sei se é "enrolação", tem experiência com isso ou é só palpite? Foi uma resposta passada a mim por um canal oficial do PayPal.

Como educadamente expliquei ao longo do post, não quero e não vou vincular cartão porque NÃO TENHO, NÃO QUERO TER cartão, e NÃO VOU arrumar um só por causa de SL. E para realizar operações de venda de itens, eu precisaria da loja. A não ser que você tenha uma sugestão mais útil.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:28 PM, iamyourneighbour said:

Plus if you aren't making enough to cover the premium then there might not be a need to list those items. The premium after stipend is about $5-7 per year. 

How can I make "enough to cover the premium" if I can't even start to sell, to begin with? Maybe I didn't get your point.

On 12/31/2018 at 7:21 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Could you simply 'Add a currency' as Ethan suggested and then pre-fund that currency with money from your bank?  I'm not even sure that is possible based on the wording of the 'Add a currency' page:

image.png.b80a75f95ca70ba9a6b596c8abda8cc2.png

Thank you for the suggestion. To be honest, I don't even see this option :P Maybe because my PP account is already with both currencies. I'll see if this is possible (add funds in a different currency from my bank, what would involve an exchange operation).

Some people said their account is zeroed, so to illustrate, this is my current balance: 0 USD and some BRL (that PP insist in show in USD because I changed the "default currency". No luck, anyway.

paypal_br.jpg.8d7678ab9a6efbf66bbbf0b0743d214a.jpg

31 minutes ago, Ewadir said:

How can I make "enough to cover the premium" if I can't even start to sell, to begin with? Maybe I didn't get your point.

You can always sell inworld. Some of the very top stores in SL DON'T sell on the Marketplace. So you could get a little shop (some are VERY cheap or even free) and join some hunts and things. Start small. Most of us did.  The Marketplace is a great place to sell, but not the only way to sell. Still you will need some "seed money" (starting cash). So if you can't use Paypal then a small job might be in order. 

Good luck. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1880 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.