what is the best way to find a roadside 1024 parcel?

Zurcon Zanetti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there, 

I am  new to the whole land buying thing. I have lived in a Linden home for years but want to get my own 1024 parcel and put a house on it. I see TONS of abandoned land around but none of it is 1024. Am I stuck buying from a reseller or at a Linden Auction? Also I see some land that is slightly more than 1024... like 1120.. how do I know how much additional that would cost?

thanks!

Hi Zurcon,

First off .. Land that is marked 'Abandoned' is not available for sale, it is precisely that, abandoned. LL will put it to sale if a ticket is opened, but normally (99%) only if you already own adjacent or in the same sim land. The channels for by land are Reseller (as you call it) or Auction .. that is how the land market has worked for years and years, so you are 'stuck' with it.

As to costs .. the initial cost will be off course up to the seller of the the land and can range from very low (ex L$ 0.5 p/sqm) to stupidly high (have seen higher that L$100 p/sqm). What is going to be just as important to you is the tier you have to may monthly. Once you abandon your Linden home, the first 1024 sqm is free, but after that you will have to pay additionally to LL each month (see the land pricing page HERE) .. if you do group land ownership you'll get a 10% bonus on this .. happy to explain how that works if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

Wanda

• Like 1

Eventually the Lab hopes to get land into the Auction queue again, but for now that system is... in hiatus, shall we say. Meanwhile, the "Land" Lindens are more receptive than before to setting abandoned land for sale to individuals, even if you have no other land in the region. This is a fairly big change from the policy before, and will likely change back, and even now it won't work everytime, everywhere. Still, if you find something you like, it's worth a try -- and they've even been known to carve out a suitable size parcel from a larger chunk of abandoned land if the remainder is still reasonably shaped.

Unfortunately there's no search mechanism for abandoned land. You just have to wander the roads with your rucksack like a hobo. Consider it an adventure.

Incidentally, as you may have surmised, that 1120 sq.m. size is popular because it's the exact largest parcel you can buy as a group with a single 1024 Premium bonus tier using the 10% group bonus.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Wandering Soulstar said:

First off .. Land that is marked 'Abandoned' is not available for sale, it is precisely that, abandoned. LL will put it to sale if a ticket is opened, but normally (99%) only if you already own adjacent or in the same sim land. The channels for by land are Reseller (as you call it) or Auction .. that is how the land market has worked for years and years, so you are 'stuck' with it.

this is not accurate.
The rules for buying abandoned land are less tight for a very long time.
If you see abandoned land, no matter if you own land next to it, or own land at all... you can create a ticket and ask LL for selling it to you.
In most cases LL will set the asked land for sale to you. Unless there is reason to believe there are more people wanting that piece of land it will go to auction.
If it's s , lets say, 8192 sqm roadside parcel .. you can still request a 1024 sqm roadside parcel cut from it.
So.. if you see land, and want it, give the right location, and size, and send a ticket to support, chance you get it is quite ok. And for a reasonable price.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Incidentally, as you may have surmised, that 1120 sq.m. size is popular because it's the exact largest parcel you can buy as a group with a single 1024 Premium bonus tier using the 10% group bonus.

Ok, this is new info to me. So all I would have to do it make a group and set it to the group and I would get 1120m instead? 

4 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

this is not accurate.
If you see abandoned land, no matter if you own land next to it, or own land at all... you can create a ticket and ask LL for selling it to you.
In most cases LL will set the asked land for sale to you. Unless there is reason to believe there are more people wanting that piece of land it will go to auction.
If it's s , lets say, 8192 sqm roadside parcel .. you can still request a 1024 sqm roadside parcel cut from it.
So.. if you see land, and want it, give the right location, and size, and send a ticket to support, chance you get it is quite ok. And for a reasonable price.

this is going to give me a lot of options, there is a so much abandoned land out there.  If they set it for sale to me, how is the price determined?

3 minutes ago, Zurcon Zanetti said:

this is going to give me a lot of options, there is a so much abandoned land out there.  If they set it for sale to me, how is the price determined?

Normally LL sells at L$ 1 a sqm.

The system does give a good chance you get it directed to you, but just keep in mind sometimes they do decide to put it on autction without direct sale. But it's really woth a try!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Zurcon Zanetti said:

Ok, this is new info to me. So all I would have to do it make a group and set it to the group and I would get 1120m instead? 

Not quite. There are two distinct group-related things you can do with land, "setting" it to group and "deeding" it to group. To get the group bonus, the land must be deeded to group, and that means the land is actually owned by the group, not an individual. The (slightly) tricky step to avoid going over your free tier when acquiring the land is to side-step buying it as an individual and instead use the About Land option to "Buy For Group" when you're sure you have the correct group active.

(Setting land to group affects how other parcel settings operate, including stuff such as who can enter and rez on land and whose stuff will remain if you turn on auto-return, all dependent on how other land options are set.)

And most important -- all groups must have a minimum of 2 people or the group will disappear.  So create an alt account and make them co-owner of the group. The alt account does not need to be Premium.

And to add to Qie's latest post --- to avoid paying tier charges, be sure to Abandon your Linden Home before trying to buy land.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Not quite. There are two distinct group-related things you can do with land, "setting" it to group and "deeding" it to group. To get the group bonus, the land must be deeded to group, and that means the land is actually owned by the group, not an individual. The (slightly) tricky step to avoid going over your free tier when acquiring the land is to side-step buying it as an individual and instead use the About Land option to "Buy For Group" when you're sure you have the correct group active.

(Setting land to group affects how other parcel settings operate, including stuff such as who can enter and rez on land and whose stuff will remain if you turn on auto-return, all dependent on how other land options are set.)

I can make a group easy enough. I have an alt I don't really use but he's not premium. Does it have to be in this scenario? I'm guessing no

Ok, so I can buy it as one group and set it to another? In case i want to rent it out or set up a store or something?

2 minutes ago, Zurcon Zanetti said:

Ok, so I can buy it as one group and set it to another? In case i want to rent it out or set up a store or something?

Once the land is 'deeded' to a group, it cannot be "set" to a group - it is a one or the other kind of thing.

• Thanks 1

The alt doesn't need to be premium, assuming his role is just to be the second group member (make him an owner, just to be safe).

There's just one group associated with a parcel, though. If it's deeded to that group, it sort of "inherits" all the stuff it would have gotten if set to that group, plus other goodies like the group tier bonus.

• Like 2

I can make "admins" if I rent it to give them rez rights etc or whichever boxes i select. I am familiar with groups, just never bought land with them before 

if I sell the property later, do the proceeds only go to the owner(s)? or all group members? I thought I read something about that. 

BTW, thank you for answering my noob land buyer questions! 

a good way to find 1024 parcels is the search function. set the land size to 1024 or 1120 etc and then set the max price you want to pay

You can sort it by land size. Note: even if the land size at the bottom of the page is like 4096 plots, go to the next page, there will be more 1024 parcels. Not sure why it does that but thats the way it works in firestorm anyway.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2018 at 7:13 PM, Zurcon Zanetti said:

Do not hope that 1024 land by protected road or protected water will be sold to you by default.

LL know it is popular, so they can just as well set it in an auction. That can drive the price up, because you might bid on it and your bid is the highest 1 second before the auction ends, but people have some program to buy it in the last second. They snap it up for a few L more, and offer it to you for double the price. Speaking of experience.

But there are so many who say the opposite. I am not sure if they asked for popular land or not.

Land away from water that is abandoned should be possible to get directly from LL and they set a price to 1L per square m.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

Find what you like and then put in a request. The worst that can happen is that you don't get it but don't limit yourself by someone else's experience. These days LL has been pretty generous in their responses. 

Keep in mind that protected land next to a road isn't nearly as valuable as land next to sailable water. So go for it!

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Do not hope that 1024 land by protected road or protected water will be sold to you by default.

LL know it is popular, so they can just as well set it in an auction. That can drive the price up, because you might bid on it and your bid is the highest 1 second before the auction ends, but people have some program to buy it in the last second. They snap it up for a few L more, and offer it to you for double the price. Speaking of experience.

there are bid sniping programs in SL?

How do you tell who the bidders were?

I am interested as well and have my eye on some. I see some big parcels against a road. From what I read, LL will make it the size you want but because it is against protected area they might put it up for auction and not sell it directly. which isnt the end of the world. There are some 1024 parcels in the area that have been unsold for a while so i would just use those as a back up if the bidding gets crazy.

On 12/27/2018 at 1:07 PM, Ethan Paslong said:

this is not accurate.

so if I want to buy it as my group, I would ask that an 1120 parcel be cut from it? I ask because I have never seen those come up for auction and they seem very rare in the land for sale searches. Should I keep my request to 1024?

How long does it take for them to get it up for auction or for sale? any experience with that? 

Do I ask too many questions? 🤔

1 hour ago, Heathernorton said:

there are bid sniping programs in SL?

How do you tell who the bidders were?

I am interested as well and have my eye on some. I see some big parcels against a road. From what I read, LL will make it the size you want but because it is against protected area they might put it up for auction and not sell it directly. which isnt the end of the world. There are some 1024 parcels in the area that have been unsold for a while so i would just use those as a back up if the bidding gets crazy.

so if I want to buy it as my group, I would ask that an 1120 parcel be cut from it? I ask because I have never seen those come up for auction and they seem very rare in the land for sale searches. Should I keep my request to 1024?

How long does it take for them to get it up for auction or for sale? any experience with that? 

Do I ask too many questions? 🤔

Yes, if they set it to auction, there are bid sniping programs, I don't think it's made in SL but as I understand, it is for any internet bidding auction. I watched the clock tick down and my name changed from the highest bid to the other person in the same second as it ended.

I know it because they contacted me, the name of the highest bid is visible and I could see who won too. So they could see me and snap it up.

1120 is rare so if you ask for a parcel to be divided, why not ask for 1120. It's the same work for LL.

I try to remember, I think it took more than a week, maybe 2. I got no notice about it, I saw the color of the plot had changed to purple on the Firestorm map.

No, but I only took part in one auction. That was enough, so I can't tell if this is common or that it was obvious that I was eager to get it.

Edited by Marianne Little
spelling

28 minutes ago, Heathernorton said:

I've seen several parcels that are too big for sale for less money than a 1024 or an 1120. Is it possible to cut your own 1024/1120 parcel from it and abandon the rest?

You can do that, but if you buy something larger, you will incur a month of tier charges.  Your tier is based on the largest amount of land that is owned, for even a single second, during the month.

You can try asking the seller to cut the parcel for you.

hmmm interesting, I didn´t know about the group buy thing.... I filed a ticket for a piece to be cut off an abandoned plot. If that doesn´t work out I might consider the group option^^

update: I couldn´t get it out of my head so I did the searchies and found ..stuff. It´s all fun and games, I hit about land- buy land for group, agree for the L$ to run away from me - and.... nothing happens.. hm...  what did I miss?c5bc59e44d8762762b2bacaa150886d8.png

Edited by Akasha Sternberg
things happened in between^^

7 hours ago, Akasha Sternberg said:

I couldn´t get it out of my head so I did the searchies and found ..stuff. It´s all fun and games, I hit about land- buy land for group, agree for the L$ to run away from me - and.... nothing happens.. hm...  what did I miss?

I'm assuming you did actually click the 'Purchase' button also.

Temporary borked system maybe.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.