Forcing facebook on Second life members

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Much ado about literally nothing .

There is a public space, not directly linked to Facebook where you can comment on Blog posts and such, it's called the Forum. You know, that place you came to complain. 

As for the JIRA... Certain entry types are set to reporter and Linden Staff only and this has been the norm for a while. Making a new entry is pointless as one already exists. Public or not is rather irrelevant. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

There is a public space, not directly linked to Facebook where you can comment on Blog posts and such, it's called the Forum.

But but... what about the warning below link to the Forums that reads "Thære be Dragons!" ?

15 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Can anyone who creates a Jira set it to private or public as they wish?

Yes. And then the Lab is kind of bound to leave it private if the submitter set it that way.

The Lab can also move Jiras to the super-private "security" class, but that's not relevant to this... although it almost is; note that Soft commented, so it appears the Lab realizes there's a valid business concern with letting Facebook associate SL user identities with Facebook's (presumed) RL identities. Of course that's what pays the bills for Facebook, but given that outfit's abysmal security record, it now could be difficult for LL to argue (to customers, or in court) that it acted responsibly in willingly giving that association to Facebook.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Facebook, I've had several real ones with my real self off and on, but I keep hiding from a certain family member, each time they would find me, I'd have to delete the account, I finally a year back deleted it totally,   since nothing in my 11 years has linked me to RL from SL,  I do not fear that person finding me.

9 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Cookies and other trackers like those included on every page with any sort of FB widget link the two. The connection will be there in the data.

what data?  that's the key, with ghostery, ublock and a few custom grease monkey related,  I get nothing between the 2.    I learned many many years ago to watch my steps to keep a certain family member from locating me or tying me to other related things.

20 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

what data?  that's the key, with ghostery, ublock and a few custom grease monkey related,  I get nothing between the 2.    I learned many many years ago to watch my steps to keep a certain family member from locating me or tying me to other related things.

Maybe you're sufficiently protected. Maybe your protection began early enough. Maybe it hasn't had any exploitable gaps.

Given what we're finding out about FB and friends, I think it's foolish to assume the protections we have are adequate. They're co-ordinating and sharing information on a level most of us can't really comprehend. Preventing an individual from tracking you is complicated enough, but this goes well beyond.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Given what we're finding out about FB and friends, I think it's foolish to assume the protections we have are adequate. They're co-ordinating and sharing information on a level most of us can't really comprehend. Preventing an individual from tracking you is complicated enough, but this goes well beyond.

This. When SL started putting Facebook tracking beacons on logged-in SL pages, it wasn't well known how widely Facebook distributes their tracking data. Now we know that far too many organizations have access to Facebook data. So it's time for LL to remove Facebook integration.

• Like 6

I think some people need to take off their tinfoil hat prims. LL isn't making you do anything, and no one is spying on you just by seeing the FB integrated comment section in the destination guide. Why do people insist on fabricating such nonsense? If you don't want to use Facebook, then don't. If you don't want to log in to comment, then don't. What exactly is the problem here?

Edited by HarrisonMcKenzie

11 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Trouble is, your phone. That's far harder to protect from Farcebook's tentacles.

You can remove the preinstalled app (if it's there) but it's a lot harder to keep a mobile browser in check.

My phone also goes through my pihole, but I am pretty sure there will be some app on it that leaks somehow.

For people with personal safety issues, domestic violence issues, or even jobs that need significant ongoing security clearances; Facebook is a real risk. Especially if google gets hold of a public comment made by accident under your real name and then archives it.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Trouble is, your phone. That's far harder to protect from Farcebook's tentacles.

You can remove the preinstalled app (if it's there) but it's a lot harder to keep a mobile browser in check.

My phone also goes through my pihole, but I am pretty sure there will be some app on it that leaks somehow.

For people with personal safety issues, domestic violence issues, or even jobs that need significant ongoing security clearances; Facebook is a real risk. Especially if google gets hold of a public comment made by accident under your real name and then archives it.

only thing that ever touched facebook was the laptop, the phone, mm year I tend to purge the version it comes with and install a defacto from the public android repo.  my 7.1 is clean of the bloat.  lol att thinking they were funny.

I'm half convinced that the next time Zuckerbaby leaves this client state of the Soviet Union (USA) and travels to the free world (EU) they're going to arrest him and throw the entire book of EU laws at him, from cover to cover... heck they will probably write some new laws while he is on the plane just to be sure about it...

As Kara Swisher of the Recode Media podcast notes pretty much weekly... you have a guy with absolutely zero training in the humanities running the largest social sciences experiment in human history... and thinking that because he dropped out of college but lives on top of a dragon's hoard, he knows what the heck he's doing...

That whole thing is one massive hive of scum and villainy...

If you could wire a monkey to a machine that slapped them in the face everytime they smashed a red button, but dripped a drop of meth into their system at the same time... it would be called Facebook.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I'm half convinced that the next time Zuckerbaby leaves this client state of the Soviet Union (USA) and travels to the free world (EU) they're going to arrest him and throw the entire book of EU laws at him, from cover to cover... heck they will probably write some new laws while he is on the plane just to be sure about it...

As Kara Swisher of the Recode Media podcast notes pretty much weekly... you have a guy with absolutely zero training in the humanities running the largest social sciences experiment in human history... and thinking that because he dropped out of college but lives on top of a dragon's hoard, he knows what the heck he's doing...

That whole thing is one massive hive of scum and villainy...

If you could wire a monkey to a machine that slapped them in the face everytime they smashed a red button, but dripped a drop of meth into their system at the same time... it would be called Facebook.

When's the film of all this due out??? ;)

12 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

When's the film of all this due out??? ;)

Hah... Yeah I guess I've let on that I'm not exactly a fan of FB... 😉

What I am enjoying seeing lately is the Valley (SIlicon Valley) is also starting to be fed up with them.

That said every single last time I drive by their HQ... there's this giant sign out front of (oddly not sure if I remember this right) the like button, and it always has tourists standing in front of it to get a picture... so somebody is still on the bandwagon.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

That said every single last time I drive by their HQ... there's this giant sign out front of (oddly not sure if I remember this right) the like button, and it always has tourists standing in front of it to get a picture... so somebody is still on the bandwagon.

A bit like the people in world who have a like attachment floating off to the side of their head and "nnn people have liked this" 9_9

4 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

A bit like the people in world who have a like attachment floating off to the side of their head and "nnn people have liked this" 9_9

Somewhere in my inventory I have a yellow glowing exclamation point that I can wear over my head. Great to wear in xxx-clubs or at OOC events for RP communities. :P

I think I actually have that 'like' attachment too... found it years back and ran around with it for a bit in jest.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.