Forcing facebook on Second life members

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is actually a JIRA report about this, but it's not public.
The title of the JIRA is "Destination pages use Facebook identities instead of SL identities. This is not immediately clear and may lead to disclosure of real identities."

This JIRA report was imported by LL and a Linden added the comment: "Agreed that using Facebook identities in the middle of a site that otherwise uses pseudonyms can be confusing or cause unintentional disclosure. I'm kicking this back to the devs for discussion."

So LL are aware of this problem.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

You're responding to an older post. Please read the most current.

If I understand you correctly you are saying that people logged into the secondlife website should not comment unless they want to use FB to do so. Secondlife and facebook are two different properties. Why should anyone be held hostage to FB while interacting with a secondlife property?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I linked this thread to the JIRA issue, which has a Linden watcher.

I didnt know there was a jira thread. I just made a complaint in support. Would you mind linking me to the jira thread? Others might also like it so if you post it we can all pop over there. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

The title of the JIRA is "Destination pages use Facebook identities instead of SL identities. This is not immediately clear and may lead to disclosure of real identities."

This JIRA report was imported by LL and a Linden added the comment: "Agreed that using Facebook identities in the middle of a site that otherwise uses pseudonyms can be confusing or cause unintentional disclosure. I'm kicking this back to the devs for discussion."

another user said they have been doing this for a year. so I think not enough people are aware and complaining to them to stop doing this. All they did was give you a link so your post does not appear on facebook but if you do not have a facebook account you cant post at all in the sl website. and if you do then sl is using your private FB icon. Well you know what I mean. Ill see if I can find that jira post.

3 minutes ago, Tenly said:

Why should anyone be held hostage to FB while interacting with a secondlife property?

I don't feel as though I'm being held hostage. I am glad there's a jira about it though, because while I don't see it as an issue I do see how some might comment not realizing that they are using FB.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tenly said:

I think you need to check your own ability to comment. I had not caught this before because I was logged into tenly facebook and the thumbnail for both fb and SL website is the same. so I did not catch it until I was logged in with my granny fb page which I use to connect with family. I logged out of fb because I thought it was EXTREMELY odd for my FB portrait to be associated with anything in SL. went back to comment, made sure I was logged into the SL website and sure enough I was. Now the icon was blank. which I thought was weird but typed in my comment and got a message saying you must be logged into FACEBOOK in order to post. I popped some images into my original post just for you dear disbeliever. Go try for yourself. make sure you are not logged into facebook before you try to comment on a destination. Specifically I was attempting to comment in the premium section about the lovely cabin I just got.

I don't have any reason to make comments on the Destination Guide. Zero. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

And in case you didn't bother to read far enough, Whirly, whom I know and have worked with, already informed me of my error. So maybe you should "check your own ability to comment".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tenly said:

another user said they have been doing this for a year.

I think it's been longer than that.  I seem to remember the destination guide comments being linked to FB for as long as I've been around here (which has been about 4 1/2 years).  Once I realized they went to FB and I just shrugged and decided not to comment on any of them.  It's wasn't the first time that I've come across websites with comment links to back to  FB item posts, so I didn't really think it was a big deal or anything to get in a fuss about.  

The FB "Like" button and the "FB Comments Plugin" text are kind of a give away:

4e9a51dcae59c0272f59b5e934718df3.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Also, I do not have any issue with them using a FB plugin. The only issue I see is that someone might comment not realizing they are using their FB identity and thereby making public their private information.

While that is true - the possibility of their RL name appearing on the comment - that doesn't publicly link their RL name and their avatar name (for others viewing the comment).  While that isn't optimal, it's not as bad as it could be.  What might be more troublesome for some people, is that their comment could end up in their activity feed for their RL account on FB. 

• Like 2

I don't know why they even did this as Facebook tends to delete users who create accounts under their second life identities. Facebook seems to be under the assumption that we all want our real life identities out there on the web for all to see. Linking Facebook and SL seems assanine given the above issue.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

It's interesting to see how both of your screenshots just happen to cut off right before the area that my browser shows me a pretty clear label saying "Facebook Comments Plugin."

Why should SL require a facebook plugin. And why should my screenshots be suspicious when Ive clearly shown how anyone can get the same experience. My screenshots cut off where they do because thats what is shown on my screen. Doesnt change my objection to being required to use facebook to comment. No one should have to do that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

But not being open about it. I tried to search for the bug you mention and found it was forbidden for me to view. So I made my own bug report.
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-226011

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

While that is true - the possibility of their RL name appearing on the comment - that doesn't publicly link their RL name and their avatar name (for others viewing the comment).  While that isn't optimal, it's not as bad as it could be.  What might be more troublesome for some people, is that their comment could end up in their activity feed for their RL account on FB. 

This is the problem that I have with the way they have it set up.  Back when I first encountered this issue, I was logged in to FB with my RL account in another tab of my browser and was going to comment on a Destination - and the comment automatically connected to my FB login.  I was surprised to see my RL FB icon next to the comment field.  I hadn't looked closely at the comment area before that, primarily because it just never dawned on me that those comments would use a FB login since nothing else related to SL does so.

It was simple enough to log out of FB and not add a comment to the Destination, but I still found it odd that it would even require FB for that stuff.

I can see a perfectly valid reason why LL would choose to use a FB plugin. They frequently advertise SL on FB. I see the ads quite often. So it stands to reason that if a resident  comments on a destination in SL and that comment is read on someone's wall by family and friends then perhaps some of those who read it might want to give it a try. The problem is that for many SL is their little secret and they don't want anyone to know they participate. So while I see it as a valid reason I don't think it's going to get the outcome they might have envisioned.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is the problem that I have with the way they have it set up.  Back when I first encountered this issue, I was logged in to FB with my RL account in another tab of my browser and was going to comment on a Destination - and the comment automatically connected to my FB login.  I was surprised to see my RL FB icon next to the comment field.  I hadn't looked closely at the comment area before that, primarily because it just never dawned on me that those comments would use a FB login since nothing else related to SL does so.

It was simple enough to log out of FB and not add a comment to the Destination, but I still found it odd that it would even require FB for that stuff.

I just went to the destination guide while I had FB open in another tab in the browser, and the destination guide page did not automatically show connection to my FB login.  Even clicking in the comments box did not show any connection to my FB login (although that does bring up a checkbox for posting on FB which is unchecked initially).  I wonder whether it automatically shows FB login connection is dependent on  FB security or privacy settings? 

1 hour ago, Tenly said:

I think like me, people didnt notice that it was required. I mean if you are logged in as your SL avatar on facebook you might not notice if your avatar on SL website isnt as it should be. I did not realize until I saw that the SL website had grabbed my granny icon from my granny FB page. Sure I could have logged out of that, which I did, and logged into tenly FB page. But I object to FB being part of my SL adventure. Especially when its a requirement. Im personally sick of the FB invasion. I have left other sites that require FB login. The more FB is connected to anything the more spam I get. BTW never give FB your phone number. I had to change my phone number right after giving it to them as I started getting tons of spam phone calls. Not a coincidence. Same thing happened with google. Terribly invasive.

Just curious as to why you have a FB account for your SL avatar name, if you don't want FB being part of your SL adventure.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

FB security or privacy settings? 

12 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

[...]

Check your settings. Or be more careful when selecting a log in method and never choose FB as  log in.

I made the mistake, some time back, of choosing to use FB to log in to The Sims Resource and when I paid for a sub, it used my FB log in and not the email I have had on record for years. I learned the hard way to never, ever use FB to log into anything that isn't FB. Thankfully, the sub finally ran out recently and I can ditch that second account and use my email like I had always done prior to.

I had paid for subs before using my email, not FB. FB didn't even exist when I paid for the first sub. It has to be some setting in FB and not SL or TSR. If not then it's an insidious way for FB to promote itself.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I just went to the destination guide while I had FB open in another tab in the browser, and the destination guide page did not automatically show connection to my FB login.  Even clicking in the comments box did not show any connection to my FB login (although that does bring up a checkbox for posting on FB which is unchecked initially).  I wonder whether it automatically shows FB login connection is dependent on  FB security or privacy settings? 

Or the browser settings or possibly even related to the changes over this last year in regards to FB privacy in general and their automatically letting other apps/sites see your information.  It may indeed act differently now than it did back whenever I noticed the issue.

Since I'm at work right now, I can't go do any testing - they have FB totally blocked here.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.