Forcing facebook on Second life members

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1908 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 1/14/2019 at 2:57 PM, Solar Legion said:

Welcome to the forum, where you can comment/post to your heart's content without needing anything more than your Second Life credentials. 

Find a relevant section and leave a comment or start a topic. 

It's that simple, really. 

Can't be arsed?  

That's on you.You're not forced to use the Facebook integration  - period. 

You do seem to troll quite a bit. Without contributing anything at all. Very strange behavior by one supposedly not affected by the issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2019 at 11:21 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

Not true. You have a choice to show your appreciation for a premium gift by snapping a photo and putting it on a blog or Twitter or Flickr or some other non-Facebook property where you are not required to have a RL name. You are not "forced" to use the Destinations/FB hook-up as it is now just because it's there.

You can put Destinations you like on Twitter or Flickr or anywhere besides FB. I do this all the time. I am not particularly interested in liking Destination pages as my RL self, but I do sometimes more for the sake of signalling to other people in SL that it is a good place than anyone in RL who won't care. But I do much more posting on non-FB social media as my avatar. That's why I simply won't accept this "I'm being forced" or "I have no choice". You do have a choice. It requires making a little more effort and not getting instant gratification on the Destinations page with the chosen LL option, that's all.

I do agree that it would be nice if the "Destinations" machine linked not just to FB, but to Flickr, Twitter, Instagram, whatever, to other places where an avatar can make an account without fear. It's a question of adding widgets that we've all added with a few paste-ups on blogs so it's not that big a deal. Yes, it means adding widgets to thousands of pages. 

Why would I want to snap a photo and pop it anywhere else? the whole point of commenting in the appropriate area is to directly show appreciation for the item given. And as the person it was given to. Meaning I tenly log in to SL and I tenly expect to show my appreciation on the SL website. Not via some third party site or using any third party platform which requires me to use an alternate account.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2019 at 5:57 AM, Nikilei said:

I noticed the comments about Facebook and I was wondering if anyone knows why, when you log on or purchase something from the MP, you are connected to Facebook? I noticed it while I was waiting for my very slow internet to go through all the phases it goes through to connect to the MP.  I was reading these connection steps out of curiosity and  "connecting to facebook.com" appeared. I don't have a facebook account and never have.  What is the purpose of this?

That is indeed very odd. And contrary to what another has said, the fact that SL can be found on FB does not have anything to do with you trying to go to the MP and seeing a message like that. Ive not seen that myself. If it happens again maybe grab a screenshot? and maybe ask lindens why that would happen. I know the MP has supposedly been updated so maybe thats been tied into it as well. I sure hope not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tenly said:

You do seem to troll quite a bit. Without contributing anything at all. Very strange behavior by one supposedly not affected by the issue.

Ah yes, pointing out your options is "trolling" ...

Welcome to public fora. Don't want other users pointing out your options? Make a blog post and lock it down.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Tenly said:
On 1/15/2019 at 6:57 AM, Nikilei said:

I noticed the comments about Facebook and I was wondering if anyone knows why, when you log on or purchase something from the MP, you are connected to Facebook? I noticed it while I was waiting for my very slow internet to go through all the phases it goes through to connect to the MP.  I was reading these connection steps out of curiosity and  "connecting to facebook.com" appeared. I don't have a facebook account and never have.  What is the purpose of this?

That is indeed very odd. And contrary to what another has said, the fact that SL can be found on FB does not have anything to do with you trying to go to the MP and seeing a message like that. Ive not seen that myself. If it happens again maybe grab a screenshot? and maybe ask lindens why that would happen. I know the MP has supposedly been updated so maybe thats been tied into it as well. I sure hope not.

Using both the SL viewer and Firestorm, I connected to the MP.  I then initiated a word scan in all of the various folders associated with the viewers on my computer and I couldn't find any reference to Facebook.  Thus I would say that whatever may have happened, it is not a normal SL thing.

19 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
On 1/19/2019 at 5:13 PM, Tenly said:
On 1/15/2019 at 5:57 AM, Nikilei said:

Using both the SL viewer and Firestorm, I connected to the MP.  I then initiated a word scan in all of the various folders associated with the viewers on my computer and I couldn't find any reference to Facebook.  Thus I would say that whatever may have happened, it is not a normal SL thing.

Do you know that little FaceBook icon on the page? The familiar gurple-ish looking one you see all over the Internet? The page connects to FaceBook to grab that icon (That's how that icon links to that particular FaceBook page, I believe.) In the process, FaceBook (and the other little icons on web pages) also search your computer for any other cookies that may be there, like where you've been, searches you've done on google, etc.

Image%202019-01-21%20at%205.34.03%20AM.p

I double-checked that the apparent nudie advert is also covered up with pasties because we wouldn't want Linden Lab's Market Place breaking Linden Lab's Forum rules, right? Bahahahaha!

Which is why I reiterate that Ghostery.com is your friend. (It also makes your Internetz like 10x faster by blocking all that crapola.)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 10:13 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Sorry. we were not, originally, addressing the marketplace. Some other folks have gotten a bit off the original topic in large part due to a particular troll who keeps applying things other than to the topic. And so if you do not see the original post I can defo see why you thought the subject was other than what was intended. The original post states that in order to comment in the SL website, say for "destinations" or in my example, when you love the premium gift, you must be logged into facebook in order to post. 

I think some folks were adding that facebook tracks you. but it can only do that IF you are logged into it and IF you allow them to do so with your browser. I think allowing it is default so if you didnt want them to track you then you can set the browser up to prevent that. But again thats not the issue.

I log into SL website I expect to comment as Tenly logged into the SL website. Not to be forced to get a facebook account or to use my RL FB account to make a comment for my SL identity.

Thankfully some of the lindens realize this is a problem and are looking at how to proceed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2019 at 3:34 AM, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes, pointing out your options is "trolling" ...

Welcome to public fora. Don't want other users pointing out your options? Make a blog post and lock it down.

You do not point out anything helpful. All you do is "laugh" on anyone who is concerned about the issue. i/e your not trying to be helpful. You're just acting like a bored bully with nothing better to do.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Tenly said:

Sorry. we were not, originally, addressing the marketplace. Some other folks have gotten a bit off the original topic in large part due to a particular troll who keeps applying things other than to the topic. And so if you do not see the original post I can defo see why you thought the subject was other than what was intended

If you return to page 1 you will see that I already responded with a comment that was directly related to the original post - about Facebook accounts and commenting on Destination pages. 

However, as is often the case with forum threads, various semi-related comments will get made and my response was directly towards one of those comments.  You also responded to that same MP comment, saying you had not seen such and even requested a screen grab showing it.  Thus my comment about actually trying to prove it one way or the other is just as related as your own comment on the MP stuff.

As much as you might like to control the direction of a thread that you start, there will always be tangent comments, some more related than others, but you can't really control it and not all of said comments are "trolling".

4 hours ago, Tenly said:

You do not point out anything helpful. All you do is "laugh" on anyone who is concerned about the issue. i/e your not trying to be helpful. You're just acting like a bored bully with nothing better to do.  

That's nice. You're also quite wrong in your assessment, hence (in part) the disbelieving, disagreeing laughter. 

You have options, some have been laid out for you. Use them. 

Your responses thus far speak volumes - you don't want options. You don't want information. 

• Haha 3

On 1/27/2019 at 10:58 AM, Tenly said:

Sorry. we were not, originally, addressing the marketplace. Some other folks have gotten a bit off the original topic in large part due to a particular troll who keeps applying things other than to the topic. And so if you do not see the original post I can defo see why you thought the subject was other than what was intended. The original post states that in order to comment in the SL website, say for "destinations" or in my example, when you love the premium gift, you must be logged into facebook in order to post. 

I apologize to everyone for my post. I thought the topic was just LL and Facebook. I did not mean to cause any disruptions.

9 hours ago, Nikilei said:

I apologize to everyone for my post. I thought the topic was just LL and Facebook. I did not mean to cause any disruptions.

Don't even fret about it.  Forum threads often take slight detours on somewhat related tangents.  Tis best to just ignore anyone that gets in a huff about it.  If the original topic matters to people, it will make its way back there.

• Like 1

I’ve learned the hard way that saying negative things about Social Media drops me right in the middle of a flame war 🙂. “You must be really OLD” being a common theme ..

Thats cool. I am and I’m happy to have lived this long 🙂

I have a FB presence as my SL Avatar because several venues I frequent or work for communicate that way, beyond that and a few *dear* friends who share my sense of humor -  FB is pretty uninteresting.

Platform convergence should not be mandatory, especially as FB used to discourage “alternate” accounts that aren’t “real” people; like SL avatars.

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c5584cb6b564c4567

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1908 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.