Forcing facebook on Second life members

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1903 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Made a jira report so this issue is no longer private: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-226011

Im an SL premium member and wanted to comment on the great winter log cabin that SL gave to premium members. Imagine my surprise when I learned I am no longer allowed to comment unless Im logged in to facebook. I have to tell you this made me feel devalued. I will not be logging into facebook in order to do anything SL related. I might just be canceling my membership. Because Im really getting tired of websites and more insisting that their users belong to facebook.

Outrageous. you should be caring more about what your users want to tell you not what social media platforms they choose to belong to.

I am logged into secondlife.com. I am logged OUT of facebook. the following screenshot will show you what I see. See the blue link that says login? click it and it says you must log in to facebook in order to post!

Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 8.21.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 8.24.16 AM.png

Edited by Tenly
Adding images to make it clear what is happening and a link to jira for a bug report

I gave up my early Facebook "real name" account as Philip Linden, which briefly -- and unintentionally -- lured other Lindens to friend me. It's a very dangerous platform that's long past its use-by date. It's dying, of course, slowly supplanted by Instagram for now, which will die in turn, but with billions of users these things take a while.

What I'm not following is, as much as I loathe Facebook, if I'm not using it, how am I inconvenienced by not being able to use it to comment on the Premiium freebie cabin? Because, you know, I don't use it. So why should I care?

• Like 3

Quitted Farcebook ages back. The fake positivity on Farcebook is ridiculous, I said the city I live in is bad because the crime rate is high and I got a 30 day ban. Didn't mention any religion or race even. 

Can't even be factual anymore. If your house is on fire remember the correct way to refer to it is 'it is tibit warm'

Edited by iamyourneighbour
  • Like 1

I've never had to be logged into Facebook to do anything connected with SL, unless I was trying to comment on a Facebook page and then it totally makes sense that you'd have to be logged into FB to comment. There are many creators who use FB to advertise their releases. I browse those pages but I don't comment because I keep my FB private and only accessible to my close family members. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There has never been a time when you had to log in with FB to do anything on the SL website or within SL. Never.

Check your settings. Or be more careful when selecting a log in method and never choose FB as  log in.

I made the mistake, some time back, of choosing to use FB to log in to The Sims Resource and when I paid for a sub, it used my FB log in and not the email I have had on record for years. I learned the hard way to never, ever use FB to log into anything that isn't FB. Thankfully, the sub finally ran out recently and I can ditch that second account and use my email like I had always done prior to.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Tenly said:

Imagine my surprise when I learned I am no longer allowed to comment unless Im logged in to facebook.

Ummm.... You commented here, presumably without farcebook?

Are you sure you were trying to comment at an official Linden site? Or was it for some merchant or user created group? We did have a thread on the cottage here.

Anyway. I've piholed Farcebook and never have problems. Maybe you can do the same and pihole it, or add it to your hosts file if you don't have a pihole setup?

ac8f6e93874dcab28bd1d190291dd9e8.thumb.png.28f6b981f192b8cc715b2ad08de71ef3.png

Edited by Callum Meriman

5 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Thanks Whirly for clearing up the confusion!

Guess it was the cheapest and lowest effort commenting system for the Lab to use and abuse us with.

not sure it will be the cheapest... but they'll be able to buy all needed information about you afterwards... so if you didn't buy a purple grandma undies with pink lace borders yet you'll get advertisement for that very soon

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I believe the OP was trying to comment on the destination guide for the premium gifts: https://secondlife.com/destination/premium-gift-kiosk---unttan

You can only comment on the destination guide via a Failbook login.

Oh yeah, I discovered that about a year back when I was going to comment on one of the destinations. It made no sense to me why LL would require a FB connection.  I sort of remember some discussion here in the forums where someone said the FB thing was an accident and they were going to undo it.  I guess it wasn't an accident and they never did undo it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

hmmm I don´t mind FB that much (it´s a sh--hole, I know, but the damage´s been done, I´ve been stupid enough several years ago, yeah...well I gotta live with that), but this is rather uncool. No real problem for me, Kasha has her own FB, too, but it kinda worries me. Everything seems to forcefully switch and jump to this horrbile thing called instagram... Once a connection is needed I´m out. At least on FB you see text posts and not just horrible selfies, you see less, yet still way too many hashtags...brrr I prefer words (preferably without a swear filter)

Not sure why you *need* to leave a comment about the cabin in order to continue using SL?

If you have a complaint or want to report a fault with it, that you want the Lindens to see, submit a support ticket. If you want to say something about it that you want other users to see, post it here.  

• Like 4

I never got a,my space,a face book,a twitter,or a FaceSpaceTwitterBook or any of those kinds of accounts before..

I just figure any place that requires anything like that, is just trying to suck me into that part of the internet..So it must not be that important to me..

In my eyes,trying to find different ways to get people onto their system is just another form of spam. You'll never get me FaceSpaceTwitterBook & company..

Never I say!! \o/

hehehehe

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Not sure why you *need* to leave a comment about the cabin in order to continue using SL?

If you have a complaint or want to report a fault with it, that you want the Lindens to see, submit a support ticket. If you want to say something about it that you want other users to see, post it here.  

What I said was that Im not happy with SL requiring me to log in to facebook to do anything. At this point its just commenting. but what next? I should be able to comment on the SL website without having to get involved with facebook. period. If that doesn't bother you thats fine. But I am personally tired of the facebook invasion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

There has never been a time when you had to log in with FB to do anything on the SL website or within SL. Never.

Check your settings. Or be more careful when selecting a log in method and never choose FB as  log in.

I made the mistake, some time back, of choosing to use FB to log in to The Sims Resource and when I paid for a sub, it used my FB log in and not the email I have had on record for years. I learned the hard way to never, ever use FB to log into anything that isn't FB. Thankfully, the sub finally ran out recently and I can ditch that second account and use my email like I had always done prior to.

I think you need to check your own ability to comment. I had not caught this before because I was logged into tenly facebook and the thumbnail for both fb and SL website is the same. so I did not catch it until I was logged in with my granny fb page which I use to connect with family. I logged out of fb because I thought it was EXTREMELY odd for my FB portrait to be associated with anything in SL. went back to comment, made sure I was logged into the SL website and sure enough I was. Now the icon was blank. which I thought was weird but typed in my comment and got a message saying you must be logged into FACEBOOK in order to post. I popped some images into my original post just for you dear disbeliever. Go try for yourself. make sure you are not logged into facebook before you try to comment on a destination. Specifically I was attempting to comment in the premium section about the lovely cabin I just got.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Oh yeah, I discovered that about a year back when I was going to comment on one of the destinations. It made no sense to me why LL would require a FB connection.  I sort of remember some discussion here in the forums where someone said the FB thing was an accident and they were going to undo it.  I guess it wasn't an accident and they never did undo it.

I think like me, people didnt notice that it was required. I mean if you are logged in as your SL avatar on facebook you might not notice if your avatar on SL website isnt as it should be. I did not realize until I saw that the SL website had grabbed my granny icon from my granny FB page. Sure I could have logged out of that, which I did, and logged into tenly FB page. But I object to FB being part of my SL adventure. Especially when its a requirement. Im personally sick of the FB invasion. I have left other sites that require FB login. The more FB is connected to anything the more spam I get. BTW never give FB your phone number. I had to change my phone number right after giving it to them as I started getting tons of spam phone calls. Not a coincidence. Same thing happened with google. Terribly invasive.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tenly said:

Added some images to my original post so you can see whats going on.

Whirly cleared this up.

10 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I believe the OP was trying to comment on the destination guide for the premium gifts: https://secondlife.com/destination/premium-gift-kiosk---unttan

You can only comment on the destination guide via a Failbook login.

I have never tried to comment on the destination guide so haven't run into this situation personally. But it's clear that the FB icon is there so I wouldn't have even tried to comment had I experienced this. 

It's still not a big issue to me. I have the choice to use it or not. No biggie if I don't want to use FB. Linden Lab has a FB page along with all the other social media sites. It would seem odd for them not to IMO. There are other avenues where you can let your opinion be known if you don't want to use FB. 

12 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I've never had to be logged into Facebook to do anything connected with SL, unless I was trying to comment on a Facebook page and then it totally makes sense that you'd have to be logged into FB to comment. There are many creators who use FB to advertise their releases. I browse those pages but I don't comment because I keep my FB private and only accessible to my close family members. 

Check the images I just added to my original post. Make sure you are logged out of any facebook pages you may have. Then go to secondlife.com. login. go to destinations page. select premium destinations. type a test comment. Not the blue login button saying you must login. But you ARE logged into SL website. and it prompts you to login to facebook in order to comment on an SL page. Not cool. If you are logged out of FB, logged into SL website and are not required to login to FB please let me know what country you are in. Im in USA. dunno if its limited to USA or not.

5 minutes ago, Tenly said:

Check the images I just added to my original post. Make sure you are logged out of any facebook pages you may have. Then go to secondlife.com. login. go to destinations page. select premium destinations. type a test comment. Not the blue login button saying you must login. But you ARE logged into SL website. and it prompts you to login to facebook in order to comment on an SL page. Not cool. If you are logged out of FB, logged into SL website and are not required to login to FB please let me know what country you are in. Im in USA. dunno if its limited to USA or not.

You're responding to an older post. Please read the most current.

6 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I have never tried to comment on the destination guide so haven't run into this situation personally. But it's clear that the FB icon is there so I wouldn't have even tried to comment had I experienced this. 

It's still not a big issue to me. I have the choice to use it or not. No biggie if I don't want to use FB. Linden Lab has a FB page along with all the other social media sites. It would seem odd for them not to IMO. There are other avenues where you can let your opinion be known if you don't want to use FB. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1903 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.