Timeout Demos ??

LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I usually won't buy from a creator that has a timeout demo, I'm ok with the boxes and rings and even maybe not being able to click every option in the hud.  I usually leave even if it was something I liked and well they just lost a customer. Not going to obsess over one item, when there are so many other places or things to try. Like another poster I want to see how it handles on tp to several locations, does it stay with me and together properly. The only timeout I would even come close to thinking was ok was at least 30 minutes. Then I can tp to my normal places and see how it looks at each one and maybe ask a few people there what they thought about it and if was worth buying or not in their opinion. Less than that is not even worth the time it took to get the demo and put it on.

2 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

The worst i've done for a demo was to have it detach after a few minutes. Is that what everyone is referring to?

Self destruct demos seem massively obnoxious, please don't do that.

What do you guys think about detach on teleport? Would that be more acceptable?

Yes, detaching after a few minutes is the "time-out' that I'm talking about.  And, at least the ones I've encountered, the same one cannot be re-attached because the timer will immediately detach it saying (again) that the time is up.  So, if it came in a box, you have to unpack the box again to get a new copy.  If it came in a folder and you didn't make a copy before trying it on, then you have to actually get a new demo from the store or MP.  All of the above is a total PITA.

The only actual self-destruct things I've encountered is a few items of clothing that will self-destruct if you rez them rather than wearing them.

I would not have any problem with a demo that detached on TP, though you would definitely want to make sure there was something in the package titled something like "!   WARNING - This item WILL detach up TP" (using the exclamation point followed by spaces to ensure it popped to the top of the folder or maybe even a few others with names such that they scatter throughout the folder).

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

On 12/24/2018 at 3:52 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I can understand putting in a timeout script for a demo that does not contain any of those horrid Demo boxes or surrounding spheres, etc. and the demo actually shows the true colors/patterns.  However, if the demo already has a freakin box attached to my arm, why in the world does someone think that a 5 minute timeout is also needed?  

The many times I have wasted the first 4 minutes and 59 seconds  of a 5 minute demo trying to visually peek around that covering box...

Just put a big sign over my head saying "this noob is wearing a demo" and then color the demo funny.

- Actually coloring the demo funny is VERY HANDY. Color each face differently, especially if the purchased product is mod. I often go through all kinds of tricks to figure out exactly where the faces are on mod products that I am demoing...

And there is no valid reason that I have ever read for something to be no-mod... people do it, I disagree with them. If I have options it DOES impact my decision.

(of late I have actually taken to mostly buying clothes/worn things from full-perms shops, because that's basically the same price as many of those no-mod fatpacks... so even if I never remember to send in the info to get the transfer perm unlocked, it still ends p being a better buy than a no-mod fatpack).

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

7 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The many times I have wasted the first 4 minutes and 59 seconds  of a 5 minute demo trying to visually peek around that covering box...

For the most part I agree with this -- any box or hoop or other contraption added, should not obstruct view of the demo item.  In my case, a box was attached to my forearm and the item in question was a sleeveless dress, so the box did not hinder my view in any way.

7 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

then color the demo funny.

Many of the current hair demos will have odd color streaks in them.  These days, I'm not sure that is really enough to prevent people from wearing it as a normal hair though, with the addition of a floating box or something.

The problem with coloring the demo itself funny if it is clothing, is that part of the reason I'm demoing it is to see how the color really looks inworld and on me.  I'm also wanting to see how well the creator actually textured the outfit and more often than not, that funny demo coloring/pattern won't be anything like what I'd be buying.  A demo like this one tells me very little about the creator's texturing ability and nothing about how the item in question would actually look with the colors/patterns being sold.:
image.png.782d12a2b141a0190ba049c3539a55da.png

Back in late 2009, I tried on a hair from Clawtooth that was hilarious.  The pic is below - the object attached to the hand and the mustache were part of the demo, as well as the goofy face animation.  It was perfect, IMO.  It did not obstruct the view of the hair at all and it still allowed you to also see the proper hair coloring,.  Nobody would actually wear that around for very long and others would definitely be able to tell something was going on with it.  These days, if someone did that, they'd have to make it such that it didn't jump the CI much or some people wouldn't buy the item just for that reason - though I'd just check the CI of the attachments and subtract them off.  It was a very original way of marking a demo without interfering with anyone viewing the hair itself.

20091127Clawtooth's Hair Demos (with face animation)1

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

All this complaining about demos, just proves the point that you cannot please everyone, ever!  Everyone seems to have their own idea of what works for them, and everyone is different.  A demo is usually free or like 1L  so it should not be attractive enough to wear out in public as a proper purchased item would be.  We need to be happy that most creators take the extra time to prepare a demo at all as some do not even offer demos.  There is nothing worse than having to take something on blind faith that it will look good on us and pay full price for something and find that it doesn't fit right after the fact.  Personally, I just do NOT even consider buying anything in clothing, if there is no demo, no matter how much I like the look in the picture.  Pictures can be photoshoped to take out bits of body poking through etc.  So demos are necessary.  But having said that, an annoying demo that poofs too soon, or has rings and boxes obscuring the view of the item are not really all that helpful either.  In my view the best demos are the ones that have the proper texture of the item on it, with the word DEMO placed a few times on the item so it is obvious that it is a demo but not too much to detract from the over all view of the item.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

In my view the best demos are the ones that have the proper texture of the item on it, with the word DEMO placed a few times on the item so it is obvious that it is a demo but not too much to detract from the over all view of the item.

^^ This, definitely this - at least for clothing items and skin/makeup.  For shoes, just give me one shoe.  For hair, I am fine with some odd colored streaks and a box looming over my head or something. I even had one hair demo that had the rings around it, but they were far enough away that I could easily cam in and see how the hair truly fit from all angles.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought #1: Usually when I go RL shopping I like to try several different pieces and sometimes I'm on the phone wearing some of it

Thought #2: Although SL is not real people tend to turn it more and more similar to RL 

Thought #3: I'm imagining myself on RL Armani, Boss and even Zara (just to name some brands where I buy) trying some timeout cloths and suddenly I'm RL naked...

Said that, none of my toons will ever buy a timeout demo

On 1/17/2019 at 2:36 AM, Nuno McCullough said:

Said that, none of my toons will ever buy a timeout demo

There were bits and pieces of this said throughout, but I wanted to be crystal clear, because it is very important. Did you mean you just won't try a demo that has a timer? or that you would not buy the final product because you were subjected to a timer? I find that it is often very unclear if a demo is a timer at all until you are trying it, and in my example silly story, I did not catch that fact at all.
I also when timers were a new thing, freaked out on trying a demo and finding no demo signs nothing but the real item, and contacted the creator in a panic that they had boxed their final item in the demo by mistake, this item did not even have a message just some random line in the notecard that came with that I did not read until after the fact and had to IM creator again once my heart stopped racing to say sorry my mistake. 
If there were big signs at the point of procuring a demo that said TIMED DEMO etc, would that make it a better decision, as in maybe trying it at home if chance of naked, or just making sure you are not distracted and the time is enough time and so on ? 

I am really interested in the thoughts on this from all 

1 hour ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

If there were big signs at the point of procuring a demo that said TIMED DEMO etc, would that make it a better decision, as in maybe trying it at home if chance of naked, or just making sure you are not distracted and the time is enough time and so on ? 

Well, I don't like timed demos  if they run out of time before I am done analyzing the item, but for me I am not in the habit of trying on demos and wandering around SL in it lol.. I only try demos at home as a rule  but it is still annoying for it to poof before I am done checking it out.   as for making a difference if the demo said timed .. I doubt it.. I will try a demo if I really like something, so I probably would try it anyhow,  but having said that.. if it poofed too fast, I would be tempted to write the creator and ***** about the sort time given..   But that's just me.. lol

• Like 1

I won't automatically write off a creator just because they use timeout demos.  However, the first time one poofs on me because of time and it is no-copy (yep, they exist) then I won't ever by from the creator again - I don't want to have to buy multiple demos just in case and I definitely am not going to go get another one in those instances.  Otherwise, if the demo poofs, I'll just put on another.  However, if the HUD has so many options that the demo poofs more than once while I'm checking out those options, I'll likely just trash the item.  If it becomes a common thing with a particular creator's items, then they will end up on my 'do not buy' list.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.