LittleMe Jewell

Timeout Demos ??

I can understand putting in a timeout script for a demo that does not contain any of those horrid Demo boxes or surrounding spheres, etc. and the demo actually shows the true colors/patterns.  However, if the demo already has a freakin box attached to my arm, why in the world does someone think that a 5 minute timeout is also needed?  

And when timeout demos are appropriate, it would be so much more 'buyer friendly' if timeout scripts gave you at least 10-15 minutes rather than 5 minutes (especially if there is a HUD with multiple colors/patterns to check).  Even if I can unpack the demo box and wear a new copy, it is just such a PITA to have to do so.  Worse yet is when the demo is No Copy and you have to actually return to the store if you want a fresh demo -- those just flat out become automatic No-Buy and often the creator gets the same designation.

Yes, this is part question and part rant.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

However, if the demo already has a freakin box attached to my arm, why in the world does someone think that a 5 minute timeout is also needed?

Because they don't want you to buy from them?

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, this is part question and part rant.

"Thank you for visiting Clueless Ashats Retail Fashions, your demo has been sent to you..."

Ok... folder received, now can I try it here, no, tp somewhere else...

*woooosh*

Right, strip off... Now add the bikini... Where's the damn hud! Ah there it is... Add that...

Argh, rez you sod, rez...

"Your demo has expired, thank you for choosing Clueless Asshats Retail Fashions..."

Needless to say I did NOT buy a copy of that swimsuit...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Not really a rant at all, I think you are just voicing what a lot of us are thinking..  Time outs on demos are indeed a pain in the XXXX.   I also hate all those boxes and ring attachments on demos,  most times I can't see how the item looks at all on me because it is obscured completely by those annoying rings/boxes/ whatever.  Just give me a demo of the actual item with DEMO stamped on it somewhere ..  at least with that I can see the fit which after all is the reason for the demo in the first place..  Isn't it?

• Like 3

How about, after a day or so, the "DEMO" sign comes up? Or limit the number of times the item can be put on after the first two hours of use. Sure, some people will get the demo and wear it to an event or club, but that's advertising.

• Like 1

I never even had a problem with some of the boxes - say those that attach to my wrist for a clothing item that isn't long sleeved and only if the box isn't going to distort the CI much. 

And I wouldn't mind timers if the time was longer - taking into account lag and possibly needing to cycle through many color / pattern options of a HUD.  A 5-minute timer is too short for almost anything. If there is no lag on texture rendering and no HUD, then 5 minutes **might** be enough. 

However, if the DEMO 'box' is already attached to my wrist then there is no need at all for a timer.  If someone prefers using a timer instead of using some sort of box, then please, please, please make it a minimum of 15 minutes and I'd actually much prefer 30.  That allows for the random distractions that can come in the middle of trying these on.

I like to see how something holds up through TPs and just daily slife. Does the hair's LOD fall off? How long does the dress take to show up after a TP? The front might look great but maybe the back view lets it down enough I'm not keen on looking at it while walking. Timed demos get in the way of this sort of thing.

Not to mention the fact I'm usually distracted by friends and building and can take days to get around to buying something. Best one though was completely forgetting about a lovely hair in the push of getting a hunt prize finished until I logged back into the beta grid and there she was with the demo still on her head :SwingingFriends:

Maybe I'm missing something but in most cases I think timed demos are more of a comfort to merchants than actual deterrent to misuse. For slow, careful shoppers like myself, they're just deterrents.

• Like 1

I have to agree I've never been a fan of demos that time out. I need lots of time to demo a product. Another issue is please don't place demo signs so that they cover up what I'm trying on. For instance, if I'm demoing a skirt then don't hide the skirt with demo signs floating in front of my pelvis. 

• Like 2

Timeout demos drive me nuts! I want to cycle through my AO and look at my most frequent animations to see if I can properly set up the alpha without nonsense. I wear a lot of corsets so that stuff is important to me and can be difficult. I've never gotten a new demo, I just nevermind on the product and buy something else.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Asylum Habilis said:

've never gotten a new demo, I just nevermind on the product and buy something else.

yup me too.  I wonder if designers who use the time out demos with a very short time out on them, realize that they are losing sales because of their demos.  The whole purpose of a demo is to see if the item stands up to the way you intend to use it and yes that often includes checking the item under animation and dance circumstances etc.  How, can the designer expect to make a sale if the demo item poofs part way through the testing process?  Most of us are going to be so annoyed that we just delete the demo and move on to something else.. who has the time to go get another demo, or even re rezz the original box to get another copy if that is in fact even possible, which in many cases it is not.

• Like 4

I don't know is Market Place sends a "sales" email to creators for L$0 items or not, but if I discover a demo is on a timer, then I will buy a 10-pack, sometimes twice, and hope the creator gets a freakin' clue. If the demo costsL$1 - then I'll buy 10, one at a time so I intentionally spam their email inbox.

What really cracks me up are those time-limited demos that are COPY. Uhhh, seriously!? Then I just create a folder, copy the demo into it before wearing - wear, when time runs out I copy from that back up and wear again.

The *real kicker* are those 10 minute demos that cost L$10 - yeah, they're really out there, and what's worse is they give zero indication it's a time-limited demo. Not allowed to name-and-shame here, otherwise, I'd post a very specific warning here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

The *real kicker* are those 10 minute demos that cost L$10 - yeah, they're really out there

Now that is terrible!  I don't mind paying 1L for a demo but if I ever come across a 10L demo, I just simply would not pay that for a demo period.

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I don't know is Market Place sends a "sales" email to creators for L$0 

And yes they do send these to the creator's email as a sales item.

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I don't know is Market Place sends a "sales" email to creators for L$0 items or not, but if I discover a demo is on a timer, then I will buy a 10-pack, sometimes twice, and hope the creator gets a freakin' clue. If the demo costsL$1 - then I'll buy 10, one at a time so I intentionally spam their email inbox.

9 minutes ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

Awesome, next time I encounter a timeout demo, I'm going to go see if the creator has an MP store and buy tons of them, in individual transactions.   

Or -- do they get emails about individual demos purchased from inworld vendors?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

17 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

do they get emails about individual demos purchased from inworld vendors?

Only if the vendor system has that option, and if the creator chooses to use that option.. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It depends how they have their notifications set up. I don't get an email on $0 purchases, but I do see them in my account transaction list. I'll be honest about it though, I often times just set it to not see $0 transactions even there. So it just depends on the merchant I think. If you really want to be sure the merchant knows you don't like the time out demo why not send the person a message or a notecard? 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

Now that is terrible!  I don't mind paying 1L for a demo but if I ever come across a 10L demo, I just simply would not pay that for a demo period.

It was a Steampunk airship that I was really interested in. So I decided to "risk" it. I rezzed on their platform (at 3500 meters high) and figured I'd fly it down to the ground. So I started flying down, it's a blimp. so it flies SLOOOOW. Then at about 2000 meters, it went POOF! And I was like WTF? Then I saw the message in chat "Your 10-minute demo is finished...detached.... blah, blah. And I just let myself fall all the way to the ground. I was P*ss'd. LOL NO mention that demo is time-limited in their MP or anywhere else. It didn't even warn of a time limit when rezzed.

I'll never buy from that creator ever. Left a scalding review on their MP (and another reason I prefer to buy from MP)

44 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Awesome, next time I encounter a timeout demo, I'm going to go see if the creator has an MP store and buy tons of them, in individual transactions.   

Yes, they do for market place - I don;t think they get any kind of email from in-world vendors unless that vendor has that capability and if it does, I'm sure it can be configured not to for demos, etc.

Every. Single. Transaction. A couple friends always complaining to me that they wish there was a preference to turn that off for all transactions under a certain L$ threshold. I just wasn't sure it also works for L$0 transactions (because apparently in-world there's no "cha-ching" sound, etc. But that could be because in world it's L$10 or more before that happens. But they DO get the Market Place "Sales" email.

Edited by Alyona Su

19 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

If you really want to be sure the merchant knows you don't like the time out demo why not send the person a message or a notecard? 

I have done this quite a few times in the past and pretty much always the response is that other than using huge boxes/demo-signs/etc.. it is the only protection they have against people wearing the demo to an event or wearing it for pictures or (somehow) copying the item, blah-blah-blah - and way too many people complain about the boxes/demo-signs.  So they see no option for protection other than a short timeout.  They don't really see it as a major problem to have to put another copy on.

One creator did say that she would think about increasing the time from 5 min to 10-15 min.

24 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

why not send the person a message or a notecard?

Lots easier to just vote with wallet. (Speaking for myself, of course) - because you're not going to change their mind and they will just look down on you as a whiner.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Lots easier to just vote with wallet. (Speaking for myself, of course) - because you're not going to change their mind and they will just look down on you as a whiner.

Unfortunately this is too often true.  There are some that listen to customers, but since most people don't really bother letting a creator know when they just don't like the way something is done, the creator often just assumes the complainer is an isolated case.

My experience has usually been a positive one when contacting a creator, unfortunately that's not always the case though. I know I try to accommodate my customers whenever possible but sometimes it's just not possible. The problem with voting with your pocketbook without contacting the creator is that the person doesn't know what the problem is or that there is even a problem unless you personally contact the person about the issue. If the response is negative, as in attitude not necessarily being able to sort out the problem, then you have your answer and in my case I would not be back at that particular shop. If the creator treats me with respect and acknowledges my problem even though they can't fix it then I will give the creator another try.

Edited by Blush Bravin

With timeout demos, I tend to handle it mostly like I do with inconveniences in RL -- how much I like an item/store/creator plays largely in how much inconvenience I'll put up with before I write them off.

I realize the creators are trying to find a balance on how to handle demos and attaching huge boxes or spheres to the middle of your body can make viewing the demo very difficult, not to mention increasing the CI, which more people do pay attention to these days (even if the CI values are mostly wrong).   Overall, I understand what they are trying to do and why.  My biggest complaint about the timeout demos themselves is that so many of them these days seem to be only 5 minutes - which is just such a PITA.

However, what prompted me to create this thread in the first place, was encountering a demo that not only had a timeout script, but also had a 'demo box' attached to it.  I cannot for the life of me see any reason for doing both.

These are, Detach>trash>block. 

Not wasting my time when they only give me 5 mintues and I need last 20 to 30 to test every avatar I have setup for the clothes.   

So whom I do not buy from  No copy>No demo>demos with time limits

simple.  keeps me buying from the Good quality content creators we do have in SL and some the small guys have close to the same items for half the prices and true demos and oh did I mention copy items! and demos!   \o/ 

• Like 1

On December 25, 2018 at 12:45 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

then please, please, please make it a minimum of 15 minutes and I'd actually much prefer 30.  That allows for the random distractions that can come in the middle of trying these on.

I have things in inventory that I only wore 30 minutes.

• Haha 2

this is just a story :)

I was at an early access to an event once, shopping away, never pay much attention to open chat at all, demoing and moving on buy buy buying and so on. When I shop an event though I tend to put on a demo, buy or move along but stay in the demo, so imagine my surprise when I happened to get past three walls of items, bought up a storm, had many other bloggers and store owners shopping around me and so on, and then I tabbed out because I had to deal with something RL, tabbed back in after I have no clue how long and was standing there naked. Now just for some perspective on that,  in the olden days before alphas and so on, if I ever had an issue with clothing not rezzing I would scream and run away, I have even been known to hurl myself into a lake I was near because a swimsuit did not rez. I have learned to deal with the mesh taking a few more moments to rez but am usually alphad out or have underwear on etc, but STARKERS in the middle of an event, I lost my damn mind.  I did not even know why I was naked, and then reverse engineered my experience, looked at chat history and saw the little message about a timer demo. So while I am glad that the event was awesome and no one really cared about me standing there naked, that was all in my modest mind, it took some heavy puffing into a brown paper bag to bring me back down off my imaginary ceiling :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The worst i've done for a demo was to have it detach after a few minutes. Is that what everyone is referring to?

Self destruct demos seem massively obnoxious, please don't do that.

What do you guys think about detach on teleport? Would that be more acceptable?