Always Salty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Mesh is showing up distorted in Firestorm. My computer's graphics is an Nvidia Geforce 960 m. Computer model is Asus G551JW. I am also connected by Ethernet cable. This doesn't happen for me on the Second Life Viewer or Black Dragon.

Steps I've taken in an attempt to fix it so far:

1. Clean installs twice
  2. Updated graphics card
  3. Updated to the newer Firestorm
  4. Tinkered with graphics settings in Firestorm. Unticking and reticking VBO, etc.
  5. Made sure Firestorm is using Nvidia and not intel.
  6. Restarted PC
  7. Moved the graphics slider from low to ultra, etc. for any changes.
  8. Maxed out LOD
  9. Followed all instructions here https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/mesh_issues

Here are some examples of the distortion:

A Skye tree https://gyazo.com/712851bdfc032bcf2caaa3c426ee6503

A Truth Hair and Signature Body https://gyazo.com/55648eeb24f0230d7654660ec73903a8

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas. I'm stumped and don't know what else to Google to solve this issue.

This looks strange, how does tuff look in the official viewer?

10 minutes ago, squirrelslayer said:
  • Maxed out LOD

this might actually make it worse... it will make your viewer load too many details and then it might give up midway.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

This looks strange, how does tuff look in the official viewer?

this might actually make it worse... it will make your viewer load too many details and then it might give up midway.

Okay. I will drop the LOD to 2.

And here is the same tree and avatar in the official viewer.

https://gyazo.com/e303f5acab1034da074b7ec07354af0e

https://gyazo.com/68da7d73221f005d551b72c14f65f8e5

What is your ping time? And does the mesh stay corrupted?

My ping as reported in the Statistics Bar is normally from 178 ms to 224 ms - if over 268ms problems like slow mesh rezzing etc occur.

Lately I would say, the general performance of SL has declined and  is more sensitive to ping time.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

go to HELP - ABOUT FIRESTORM in the viewer and paste all the details here.  The details there might point to a clue.  

Firestorm 6.0.1 (56538) Dec 13 2018 20:35:34 (64bit) (Firestorm-Betax64) with Havok support
Release Notes

You are at 182.3, 27.3, 28.4 in Terrace Bay located at sim10545.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.52.51:13006)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Terrace Bay/182/27/28
(global coordinates 117,942.0, 419,355.0, 28.4)
Second Life Server 18.12.05.522294
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (2593.99 MHz)
Memory: 8082 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134.471)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 20.19.15.4549
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 416.94

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.5
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 1.10.09
Dullahan: 1.1.1080 / CEF: 3.3325.1750.gaabe4c4 / Chromium: 65.0.3325.146
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x986 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1.5
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1450 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium-High (4/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: 1024 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2018-12-19T2:15:21
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 0/23,001 (0.0%)
December 21 2018 01:18:16 SLT

6 minutes ago, Rachel1206 said:

What is your ping time? And does the mesh stay corrupted?

My ping as reported in the Statistics Bar is normally from 178 ms to 224 ms - if over 268ms problems like slow mesh rezzing etc occur.

Lately I would say, the general performance of SL has declined and  is more sensitive to ping time.

I believe my Ping is 46-86. But here is a screenshot in case I'm looking at the wrong line. The mesh remains looking funny. Sometimes it changes into a different distortion with each login.

https://gyazo.com/70e80f2b26d400db54580a0e060fc89c

Edited by squirrelslayer
More info

5 hours ago, squirrelslayer said:

I believe my Ping is 46-86. But here is a screenshot in case I'm looking at the wrong line. The mesh remains looking funny. Sometimes it changes into a different distortion with each login.

Well that is excellent ping time, so we can rule that out.

7 hours ago, squirrelslayer said:

Updated graphics card

7 hours ago, squirrelslayer said:

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 20.19.15.4549
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 416.94

I assume you mean you updated the graphics card driver, not the card itself, but that's not a new driver. It's not that old -- appears to have been released November 13th of this year and there have been only three newer versions since -- but assuming you tried updating the driver more recently, it raises the question of what's preventing update(s) from installing.

(But really only Firestorm support is likely to find the trouble because it's only happening with that viewer. Still could be some configuration set differently for Firestorm, of course.)

15 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I assume you mean you updated the graphics card driver, not the card itself, but that's not a new driver. It's not that old -- appears to have been released November 13th of this year and there have been only three newer versions since -- but assuming you tried updating the driver more recently, it raises the question of what's preventing update(s) from installing.

(But really only Firestorm support is likely to find the trouble because it's only happening with that viewer. Still could be some configuration set differently for Firestorm, of course.)

You assumed correctly and the reason it didn't download was user error. I just assumed the available Driver for the Nvidia experience was just for the control panel and not the driver-driver itself. Getting that taken care of seems to have helped a bit. I now get rainbow speckled textures on random objects now but no longer have the mesh distortion.

22 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Ok I am no expert but your bandwidth looks a bit high to me.  Try knocking that down to 1000. 

It's all good. You asked for info which I didn't think to provide which helps people much better. :D It's not a game-breaking issue. Only a minor inconvenience of switching viewers to take snapshots.

Thanks again to everyone that replied.

4 hours ago, squirrelslayer said:

You assumed correctly and the reason it didn't download was user error. I just assumed the available Driver for the Nvidia experience was just for the control panel and not the driver-driver itself. Getting that taken care of seems to have helped a bit. I now get rainbow speckled textures on random objects now but no longer have the mesh distortion.

It's all good. You asked for info which I didn't think to provide which helps people much better. :D It's not a game-breaking issue. Only a minor inconvenience of switching viewers to take snapshots.

Thanks again to everyone that replied.

Ahah!

Rainbow-speckled textures are a symptom of a problem with "HTTP pipelining", which was meant as a way of getting textures into your viewer more quickly but in a fair number of cases it can cause things to get scrambled. Pipelining may have been the cause of your odd mesh problems to begin with.

Go to the "Advanced" menu and go to "Debug Settings", then pull up "HTTPPipelining" and set it to "false."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.