Maestro85

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi i don't know why people are so contempt with loosing everything they invested in for a program that's so under developed compared to its predecessor but, Second Life has had too many invest in land, avatars, and several objects that are now irreplaceable. Yet Linden labs refuses to sympathize with any of its customers on this issue and doesn't offer any of us solutions to the problem. So now iv'e thought about actually starting a fundraising campaign to preserve second life and getting open simulator on board to at least propose a business transaction with linden labs regarding there old project second life witch there about to abandon soon. So instead of loosing all of our accounts and everything we worked so hard to achieve there, LL sells there old project Second Life to open simulator and put it under new management. Like seriously they get to make money and nobody looses there ***** win win right?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7

13 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Maestro85 said:

Hi i don't know why people are so contempt with loosing everything they invested in for a program that's so under developed compared to its predecessor but, Second Life has had too many invest in land, avatars, and several objects that are now irreplaceable. Yet Linden labs refuses to sympathize with any of its customers on this issue and doesn't offer any of us solutions to the problem. So now iv'e thought about actually starting a fundraising campaign to preserve second life and getting open simulator on board to at least propose a business transaction with linden labs regarding there old project second life witch there about to abandon soon. So instead of loosing all of our accounts and everything we worked so hard to achieve there, LL sells there old project Second Life to open simulator and put it under new management. Like seriously they get to make money and nobody looses there ***** win win right?

I'm not sure where you got your information about the "old" project second life or why you think it's about to be abandoned soon, but I think you should check your sources or your understanding of what you heard.

For an update about what LL has been busy with in the Second Life product, you might want to check out their latest blog post:  https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/entry/2461-second-life-end-of-year-update-wrapping-up-2018-what’s-next-for-2019/

• Like 5

So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Maestro85 said:

sorry buddy, but i'm not going to spend a single cent or L$ at your fundraiser.

SL is a great place to be, and i hope WE as users, can  keep it profitable for LL to run if for 25 years more.
If it stops, it has been a wonderful 13 years for me ( and whats still comming up) i will miss it, but well... my clothes here don't fit in rl anyway so won't be a big loss.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think OP meant “content” not “contempt”? 

Yeah, you have to filter a lot of the words to see what he really means.  I'm not really sure why it was posted in Answers, though. He's not asking about how SL works. This is a thread for General Discussion to kick around.

• Like 2

Maestro, SL isn't going away any time soon.  It's still Linden Lab's main profit center.  It is true they have been working on another virtual world, Sansar.  But Sansar has got a LONG way to go to reach main stream acceptance (if it ever does), and the user base it's aimed at is not the same user base that's attracted to Second Life.

As Moirakathleen points out, LL has been very actively supporting and improving SL over the last couple of years.  That's not what a company that's planning to dump a product usually does.

If you are really afraid SL is about to die, you could create your own virtual world based on OpenSim.  It's been tried, in fact.  InWorldz tried to be an alternative to SL, and did manage to attract a number of people who were dissatisfied with SL for one reason or another.  But InWorldz closed down earlier this year.  OSGrid is another OpenSim alternative, and as far as I know it is still open.  However, the number of people who use OpenSim grids is FAR lower than those who use SL.

Sl is not going anywhere anytime soon, as long as this cash-cow continues to bring in money they are not going to abandon it. its still being worked on and developed and supported.

On 12/20/2018 at 3:39 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

I think OP meant “content” not “contempt”? 

Yes, I think they mean content, and they don't mean user content aka created things but the type of accepting something happening content and not fighting back.

And I think they are just wanting to scam people out of money which is a popular gambit for this time of year. "join my fundraiser and help xyz(me) keep abc(dont really care about) from doing jkl(would happen anyways)" 

Seriously no fundraiser is ever going to get enough money to even tickle LL into even thinking about selling... not even if every single logged in person at this moment gave 100$ would it be enough.

Also sounds like maybe they are jaded about Sansar and any experience they have had in it or the fact that they cannot afford the proper equipment to join in so are seeking to scam people to giving them the money to be able to afford to play in Sansar(buy a vr supported rig). The ole denounce what I really want to do but can't gambit.

On 12/20/2018 at 7:25 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

Maestro, SL isn't going away any time soon.  It's still Linden Lab's main profit center.  It is true they have been working on another virtual world, Sansar.  But Sansar has got a LONG way to go to reach main stream acceptance (if it ever does), and the user base it's aimed at is not the same user base that's attracted to Second Life.

As Moirakathleen points out, LL has been very actively supporting and improving SL over the last couple of years.  That's not what a company that's planning to dump a product usually does.

If you are really afraid SL is about to die, you could create your own virtual world based on OpenSim.  It's been tried, in fact.  InWorldz tried to be an alternative to SL, and did manage to attract a number of people who were dissatisfied with SL for one reason or another.  But InWorldz closed down earlier this year.  OSGrid is another OpenSim alternative, and as far as I know it is still open.  However, the number of people who use OpenSim grids is FAR lower than those who use SL.

Actually according to Hypergrid Business this is not correct. Mostly it  is because there are tons and tons and TONS of folks using Opensim in worlds closed to the general public (much like private islands here which of course do get counted in as "SL"). So "Opensim" is much larger than most folks think it is.  Some Googling will likely find articles and charts. Those are no longer being kept up as the website focus changed, but I was really surprised at the statistics.  

Maybe the total of people using OpenSim is large, but the concurrency numbers for any OS based grid are orders of magnitude below SL's.  One might think of SL as a city, with lots of people packed into a relatively small area, and OpenSim as a rural landscape, dotted here and there with tiny towns.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Maybe the total of people using OpenSim is large, but the concurrency numbers for any OS based grid are orders of magnitude below SL's.  One might think of SL as a city, with lots of people packed into a relatively small area, and OpenSim as a rural landscape, dotted here and there with tiny towns.

And to add on to that, that are tiny towns in a rural landscape with very little municipal infrastructure (no dedicated paid dev or maintenance teams or many of the other background services that we expect here) and very little communication (if any) with other little towns (outside of tourists if they are hypergrid enabled).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.