What do YOU do in Second Life?

HivieHivie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1931 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Why dont you tell us first, what you did already inworld, and why it made you asking in the forum? Are you bored already?

To put it simply, NO. 

Second Life has been the most addictive thing I've ever played, Currently I'm just finding ways to get free Lindens [Linden realms, fishing, etc,] messing around and being silly with my discord friends, it's been pretty nice for my first week and I'm already addicted tbh. 

Mainly asking because I know that I might get bored with what I'm doing already, so I want to see what others do so I can get an idea and then branch onto that and obviously make my SL experience way more better than it already is.

Plus I'm just curious as well since I see people who've been here for like 10 years and I'm just like 'woah what have you been doing for the past decade?'.

• Like 3

Don't bite the newbies, please.

I've been in SL for about a year. At first, I just looked around, impressed with the huge, but rather empty world. Then I discovered New Babbage, the big steampunk sim, and spent about a month there. Then I tried some sex sims for a while. An Asian woman advised me on how to improve my avatar and where to get clothing. Finally had a good avatar. Then I tried driving around. I discovered that didn't work too well. And I thought, "Do I really want to open the hood on this thing and understand how it works? The magic will go away."

But I did. Then I bought some land and set up a small cafe and a tiny bike shop. I started building bikes and riding around, a lot. Over 1000km in Second Life. I've driven most of the roads in Second Life. Learned the scripting language and wrote my own vehicle controllers. Built bikes good for long road trips. Worked on region crossing problems. Bought more land and set up a bigger and better bike shop. Started going to Server User Group and meeting the people who do some of the better building and scripting in SL, plus the Linden Labs development team. Took up helicopter flying. I've been sailing a few times, and have sailing enthusiast friends. It's very peaceful.

Started working in Blender so I could make my own mesh objects. Built a few things, most recently a working escalator. Now I have enough Blender skills to go back to bike design, once I get done with the escalators and moving sidewalks. Turns out people like those.

I've made some good friends. Met some very competent people. Dealt with neighbor problems. It's been interesting.

I treat SL as a working world. I usually walk, drive, or fly rather than teleport if at all possible. Gives me a sense of place.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, HivieHivie said:

what have you been doing for the past decade?'.

Dancing, managing a club or 2, owning my own club, DJ for fun, building, exploring sims, making friends, running a business with my partner, posing for friends who take pictures, more dancing.  Spending too much money on dances, landscaping, trashing the landscaping and starting again, taking some building classes, occasional standing on my platform pondering what to do or invent cleaning, more exploring, profile perving, shopping. Helps that I have a partner for almost the whole time I have been in SL to do stuff with too.  Horse riding, driving, flying, I like the mainland pod rides too.  I am sure there is more stuff 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, animats said:

Don't bite the newbies, please.

Just a little?

1 hour ago, HivieHivie said:

What do YOU usually do in Second Life?, what activities do you do on a day to day basis In world?.

• A bit of building, a bit of scripting, a bit of roleplay, a lot of cuddles.
  • Exploring, managing my rental estate, managing my club, sailing, landscaping, taking photos.
  • Working on my avatar.
  • Shopping! OMG!
  • Talking a lot! And did I say talking?
  • Tending my grapes (which is a huge waste of time, but a break from the rest)
  • Getting burnt out sometimes, then coming back enthused.

And mostly going "crap, crap, crap, crap" to the approaching deadline I set myself to get something completed.

• Like 2

I had better times in the past, when building with prims and sculpts was still a thing. Sitting in sandboxes with friends and doing something creative. But that changed a lot since mesh came up.
Since then im more into filling up my wardrobe, simhopping, trying to make mocap dances and animations...

Glad, you are that amazed about SL. Welcome. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Resi Pfeffer said:

I know, my answer sounded a bit rude... :)
Just wanted to be sure, its not another single post from a sock puppet, who asks a question, and then replies never again. Happens quite a lot.

We might be in someones end of year assignment :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HivieHivie said:

What do YOU usually do in Second Life?, what activities do you do on a day to day basis In world?.

I'm new so I'm just finding ideas of what others do in Second Life. 

what i do?.... erm can't post that at the general part of the forums 😇

• Haha 6

Ok, these aren't all daily activities, but are all things I enjoy doing in sl, and highly recommend, it's a big list, fair warning- take lots of breaths, it's a giant run on sentence. (and it's in no particular order other than how they pop into my head and back out my fingers 😛 )

bowling, golfing(mostly mini, few times regular, prefer mini),baseball, arcades, surfing, swimming, diving, skydiving, parachuting, bungee jumping, driving vehicles(of any sort, just about all over the grid, despite being one of the worst drivers ever in sl), skiing, sledding, ice skating, roller skating, amusement parks, zoos, boating(about on par with my other vehicle driving skills in sl), opening up the map, picking a spot without really looking and tp-ing in(this has mixed results, use caution and common sense/courtesy towards others, since you never know where you'll land), finding obscure places it seems time has forgot(or sl, in general), building, tearing things apart, rebuilding them again, writing obscure scripts that only sometimes work (and, often, work in unintended ways), raising breedables (sigh...), museums, visiting sims that are rl replicas/designed to be somewhat close to their rl counterparts,  flying up super super super high then falling and splatting on unsuspecting people, getting into weaponry wars, helping out newbies or oldbies or any bies for that matter, taking pictures, river rafting(if you can find it, place I used to go is gone now, I haven't looked recently but places for this were really limited a few years ago, might be better now), riding my dinosaur around the grid-especially places he doesn't belong, wandering through sl woods and nature sims, going to the beach, climbing mountains, running around like a fool with my head cut off for no reason other than I can, riding the SLRR, riding subway trains, okay riding any trains-I really like trains, building sandcastles, playing with my sl blocks, ummmm... 

I lost my train of thought, it's been derailed I think. I'll come back if I think of more :D 

I thought of more, lmao..

riding horses, sitting on things I'm probably not supposed to be sitting on (you'll note in another post I mentioned zoos, this is a particularly fun place to test this one out , provided the owner has a sense of humor-and all I have seen, do), riding a skateboard around the grid, wearing my hamster av which has an adorable AO and running around the grid like that, fishing, coin hunting, used to do realms(been a few years I think, for me),  hunts, finding really cool freebies (*not* clothing...I'll wear the same clothes for years and not change, lol), chasing fireflies (my neck of the woods = lightning bugs), playing with fireworks(making and setting them off, I'm terrible at the former, great at the latter), visiting carnivals, participating in charity events

I seriously do all kinds of things in sl, the only real limitations are contained within your own head (TOS/sim rules notwithstanding). If you can think it, odds are good it may well exist in sl somewhere. If it does not...go make it :D 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I spend most of SL time on my own, in my own little world. I enjoy my own company, it is peaceful and relaxing. 

Every now and again, with a new outfit or look, I will visit a few places to go fishing. Mostly the fish get thrown back in, but occasionally I catch a nice one and we share some time together. It doesn't happen that often (as fussy means less), but when it does it can be rather nice. 

Searching out freebies and cheapies with occasional big spends on extra nice things, but I've often found that full-price purchases often gather far more dust in my inventory than many of the really nice free things. Search Google for SL frees and events etc.. There's loads of blogs out there which collectively update almost constantly. Then unboxing in a peaceful sandbox (or home, if you're posh) and sifting through trying things out before dumping 90%+ of it, but left with some lovely items afterwards.

Occasionally, if I find a nice setting or backdrop, I'll try taking a few photos for my profile feed. Perhaps then choosing ONE un-edited outside of SL picture to post in this forum's "How does your avatar look today" thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

I spend most of SL time on my own, in my own little world. I enjoy my own company, it is peaceful and relaxing. 

Every now and again, with a new outfit or look, I will visit a few places to go fishing.

Start pretending that I'm a fish. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am usually doing one of  three things.

1. Shopping/putting together outfits. Sometimes i will use clothing  items I have in a new  way to come up  with a new look if I do not  want  to  spend any money.

2. Trying to make money so I can shop, which means pole dancing, or  making  paintings/ working on one of  my galleries mostly.

3. Making pictures.

I’ve been in SL for the better part of a decade, although my eldest avatar is somewhere around 12 years old. What I “do” has changed over those years but I feel I’ve done it all (with the exception of Gor RP). 

Current hobbies include: family roleplay, landscaping & sim design, photography, wedding planning & coordinating, and hopping around photography sims to do more of the above. 

9 hours ago, HivieHivie said:

My daily activity in Second Life is stay at home playing with everything related to avatar customization, creating shapes and looks, but I often go out to shopping and search for freebies too.

When I have more time, generally on weekends, I usually visit places to take landscape pictures - and a few pics of my avatar too. I also love to play immersive games and do hunts.

I do a lot of other things when time allows, but answering your question, that's how I basically spend most of my time in world.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1931 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.