Jump to content

Using only spec maps for shininess in rigged mesh?


Unlikely Quintessa
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Is it safe to use only spec maps to define the glossiness/shine on rigged mesh? Or are enough people disabling materials that its still necessary to add glossiness into the diffuse? For reference I'm making a shiny patent leather dress and would prefer to use mostly spec so the shine is more dynamic but if it means the dress doesn't look shiny to most people it doesn't seem wise.

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are still plenty of people that don't have materials enabled so your best bet would likely be to do a bit of both. Have some shine in the diffuse and some added shine perhaps in using specular. Test of course with both advanced lighting on and off and hopefully you can come to a good mix that will server both folks.  Just my opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Unlikely Quintessa said:

Or are enough people disabling materials that its still necessary to add glossiness into the diffuse?

Difficult to say, the SL Fossils will tell you that "hardly anyone uses materials" but...

Empirical day to day evidence while wearing materials enabled latex ( number of people commenting on the shine) suggests the fossils are wrong...

Some people will suggest you "mix" the "painted fake highlights" with the "calculated spec shine", to try and appease both groups. I'd advise against it.

Painted highlights (regardless if painted by hand or "baked" using a shader in an external 3D app) do NOT work well with calculated highlights, basically they are always in the wrong place for the current lighting, and they tend to swamp the calculated highlights unless those are too strong.

You simply cannot please both groups trying to mix the techniques on a single version, so either pick one, or include a materials and a no materials version in the pack, like for example, Exxess does with their hairs.


 



 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Difficult to say, the SL Fossils will tell you that "hardly anyone uses materials" but...

those fossils mostly run the show

2 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Empirical day to day evidence while wearing materials enabled latex ( number of people commenting on the shine) suggests the fossils are wrong...

you might have fallen to peer group fallacy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Painted highlights (regardless if painted by hand or "baked" using a shader in an external 3D app) do NOT work well with calculated highlights, basically they are always in the wrong place for the current lighting, and they tend to swamp the calculated highlights unless those are too strong.

 

This is what I was trying to avoid, anything beyond low level gloss combined with a very glossy spec looks not so great imo. I think I will offer two versions. Thanks so much!
 



 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...