More than one stream...

AnitaLaDodyx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Well...sort of.

There are two streams available for any land parcel, the music stream and the media stream.  The media stream, of course, supports both video and audio.  So, it's possible for one person to be listening to the music stream of the parcel, and another person to be listening to/watching the media stream.

It is not possible, though, for the resident of a skybox and another resident in a house on the ground below to listen to two different music streams.  If they should try, it's rather like two people with remote controls to one entertainment center.  Wars have started for less.

Thank you both.

Rolig, yes, I'm aware....but I was wondering if a separate (different) stream could be played in two different areas of the same parcel.

Lindal, thank you.  I was afraid of that.  And I actually had considered the audio vs video solution....I guess I'll have to look into a bit more.  I had just thought the dual audio might be possible as it seems I've been on sims where different areas with different themes had different music (or at least sounds)....but I guess it's more likely they may have been separate parcels owned by one owner over a larger region.

Thank you both.  I appreciate the time and the advice.

As Lindal mentioned, the parcel media stream can play audio, and other types including the usual video, and even html. The other interesting thing about it is that it can be specific to individual avatars (using PARCEL_MEDIA_COMMAND_AGENT) so it's possible to direct a specific radio station to avatars at one altitude and a different one to those at a different altitude, with a script that pays attention to who's at which location.

(There's also media-on-a-prim, aka "shared media", but it leaks across parcel borders and has other messy problems so I've pretty much given up on it myself. YMMV.)

Edited by Qie Niangao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1925 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.