Careful replying to offline IMs if you don't want people to know your email

purrrkitten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, purrrkitten said:

I replied to an offline IM, and it included my email in the message.

So just a heads up. :)

The person doesn't see that. It only shows what you typed in the message JUST as if you were writing from inworld. At least that is the way it has always worked.  Maybe someone official will verify that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

The person doesn't see that. It only shows what you typed in the message JUST as if you were writing from inworld. At least that is the way it has always worked.  Maybe someone official will verify that. 

They saw it. They said "Is your email blah@blah.com?"

6 minutes ago, purrrkitten said:

They saw it. They said "Is your email blah@blah.com?"

This surprises me. I use offline messaging a fair bit, and receive them too, and in neither case have I ever seen an email address part of the message. Can I ask what viewer you're using?

Also, I think it's always wise to use a dedicated email address for SL, unless you're comfortable with RL info getting out.

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This surprises me. I use offline messaging a fair bit, and receive them too, and in neither case have I ever seen an email address part of the message. Can I ask what viewer you're using?

Also, I think it's always wise to use a dedicated email address for SL, unless you're comfortable with RL info getting out.

You mean what email service? Gmail. 

I don't see how viewer plays a part in this, but I use firestorm. 

Just now, purrrkitten said:

You mean what email service? Gmail. 

I don't see how viewer plays a part in this, but I use firestorm. 

I assume that the viewer may have something to do with it, as you set it up a little differently in each.

Yeah, I'm using Firestorm too. Going through my offline content, I can't see any email addresses in the messages I've received, so, as I say, I'm surprised. Maybe it makes a difference if you are replying to an offline or online message from within your own email service, rather than from in-world?

• Confused 1

It's not a glitch, it does happen. If you erase the message from SL and only send your response, it will not show your email. Otherwise it does. This has been true (for me) for years. Just tested again, and absolutely includes my email if I don't erase the original message.

edited to add an example:

[12/18/2018 12:37 PM]  ArwensCreations: this is a test
[12/18/2018 12:37 PM]  Second Life: User not online - message will be stored and delivered later.
-- Instant message logging enabled --
[12:39 PM]  Arwen Serpente: This is a test       From: ArwensCreations <cqvejd6vikkilctpq2sd6xozqrmtucufa2dn5o577egnhca7dw2726yttdo5wvoa@im.agni.lindenlab.com>  To: Arwen Serpente <my email was here>   Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 3:38 PM  Subject: Message From Second Life [20:37] ArwensCreations: this is a test

Edited by Arwen Serpente
  • Like 3

Just now, Arwen Serpente said:

It's not a glitch, it does happen. If you erase the message from SL and only send your response, it will not show your email. Otherwise it does. This has been true (for me) for years. Just tested again, and absolutely includes my email if I don't erase the original message.

Arwen, are you replying from within SL, or through your email service? I assume the latter, or you wouldn't need to erase the original?

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It might also depend on whether or not you quote the original email in your reply, because those quotes often include info like the below - not sure how much of that goes through:

image.png.0af53aad52c38f23430d9aefe0df95c8.png

I think I'll do some testing with alts this evening.

Ahhhhh.

This would correspond with what Arwen was saying? That makes some sense, sort of.

3 minutes ago, Arwen Serpente said:

Cool. Now we all know this a thing and to delete the original message if you don't want your email to show. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, purrrkitten said:

This thread is about replying from email...

Yes, I understand that. But there are a number of different permutations possible, including, for instance, having a synchronous back-and-forth with someone who is also offline, using just email. I was just trying to work out the exact context.

2 minutes ago, Arwen Serpente said:

I'm replying from my offline email. My alt is online sending a message to my main. When my main responds with the entire message that was sent, the email is shown. If the reply is sent and the original message is erased, no email is shown.

Thanks for the confirmation - that is pretty much what I suspected.  

Possibly the people that have never encountered this do not have their email set up to include the original message when replying - so there is no original message to remove.  That is an option with my email client.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It might also depend on whether or not you quote the original email in your reply, because those quotes often include info like the below - not sure how much of that goes through:

image.png.0af53aad52c38f23430d9aefe0df95c8.png

I think I'll do some testing with alts this evening.

Yes, I never just REPLY (mostly because of all that junk they put in there).

And of course agree you should have an SL email, not your RL one LOL.  Mine is all over for events and things so not a secret.  

Good thread!!!  BUT I am thinking that you don't get the email if it goes to a phone?  I have someone I IM back and forth with with him offline and I never see his email, but I DO see all that gobbledy ***** forwarding message.

Edited by Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.