WARNING loser making the rounds in sl giving ppl viruses or something else?

Quinn Lysette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i was just on a hub when a bew member 1 day old sent me a gift some kinda gift card aka maybe a virus or something worse ??  they are giving away giftcards or something watch out it s a virus or i dont know seems way suspicious to me i didnt accpt i blocked and reported

Edited by Quinn Lysette
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's a money stealer, not a virus. One of the Avatars doing it is SLGifts.Resident

When the person who gets the gift card adds it, they get a bright yellow warning that says (roughly) "This object wants to take your money. If you allow this it can take all of your money at any time [Allow Access] [Deny]" If they ignore this prominent warning and be an idiot that allows access to their wallet, then they lose their lindens.

Correct action is to report the avatar and delete the HUD.

AND DAMNED WELL READ THAT YELLOW DIALOG

I have little pity for people who are foolish enough to ignore the text "...it can take all your money at any time...."

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

Hypothetically, if you clicked on agree in the yellow box, is the griefing object able to drain your account immediately?

Immediately, although this is up to the scripter who is doing it.

This is a screenshot of the warning. It's very hard to mistake. CLICK DENY and you are safe.

25eb98c69790b23f3f99bb87756a7f3c.png.cdcd9e0e2210bfe4be0aed1a5c9bbc47.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

This is a screenshot of the warning. It's very hard to mistake. CLICK DENY and you are safe.

25eb98c69790b23f3f99bb87756a7f3c.png.cdcd9e0e2210bfe4be0aed1a5c9bbc47.png

As a default security precaution always always ignore those two buttons and click on the X button to close the window instead (unless there is not X in such case I would consider rather to relog)

A useful script if you'd like your alts to take money from the account with which you always buy your L$. It would save actually logging into an otherwise often unused account in order just to 'gift' money over, which is what I do.

I got this 'gift card 'offer' today too. I just declined and blocked the user. I was in UBER at the time.

29 minutes ago, Cronix Byron said:

As a default security precaution always always ignore those two buttons and click on the X button to close the window instead (unless there is not X in such case I would consider rather to relog)

yeah, Nah.

Changes to the SL application mean these dialogs now survive a restart. Additionally, that prevents you from detaching the money stealing syphon hud|object.

This is one you must deny.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Thanks for the info. I've only seen this once while setting up a shop vending machine and it was legitimate but when I saw the warning it was definitely one I paid attention to. Hope they ban that person handing out those gift cards. 

• Like 1

Yeah, its the ole gift card/gift item/redelivery of an item you never bought scam. Just do not attach the item at all to begin with and if you did by accident or curiosity, click deny then detach it. then ar the account that gave it to you.

lots of people that prey on the noobs in sl at this time hoping they will just accept then attach then not read and click ok. happens every year around the holidays.

it can't give you a virus because nothing in sl can directly access your computer outside of the client itself without some other object/application already on your computer acting as a go-between

• Like 1

Griefers have been handing out 'viruses' to newbies. They're technically replicators, flooding the land with tiny, hard to grab copies of themselves when rezzed. They replicate exponentially up to a certain generation, or up to the point where the available Land Impact has reached zero. Each of these rezzed objects then sends instant messages to a list of 'enemies', i.e. a list of people the griefer has ever encountered and got upset by. They're hard to remove, because they're owned by the unwitting victim, who also gets ARred by the people who are flooded with IMs from these things. They're hard to grab, because they are tiny tortured prims with their center of geometry way off the 'visible' (highlight transparancy mode)  part. I was victim of such an outbreak because I told a griefer to get a life. I believe LL had quite a hard time dealing with this particular attack. It crippled offline IMs and email notifications for many residents for at least a year.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/17/2018 at 8:46 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Hypothetically, if you clicked on agree in the yellow box, is the griefing object able to drain your account immediately? Does it have to be rezzed in a script enabled sim? This is why my alts have no money. Just in case I accidentally click on things.

If you allow it, then the object can take money from your account immediately.  However, it doesn't have to do so...it could be programmed to take only small amounts of money, at fairly long intervals, in the hopes you might not notice.  Objects with this permission can take money from your account as long as they are rezzed in world.  Some of the nastier ones teleport themselves far away from you, making it more difficult to find and delete them.

If they zero out your balance, but remain in world, you're still not safe from them.  If you deposit more money in your account, they can take it.

NOTE:  This function is not used only by griefing objects.  If you use a rental box system or a vendor system in your business, or if you have Skill Games or other games that can award $L prizes, or if you use a tip jar that skims off a percentage for your club's management, they all need to have this permission.  Just be sure you trust any object that asks for this permission, before you hit Allow Access!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.