SL Mesh Men are a Bunch of Hotties!

FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Why don't you switch to a male avatar, if they are more satisfied with them in every aspect?

Why?

Cost is the first issue.

And second, I like being a woman.  Although I want to do "fantasy" avatars too...Angel, Fairy, Elf, for example plus human.  I bet men Angels would be beautiful to do for photos in black and white.  

I just don't have the extra money right now.  

4 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't like that white line above the lip like shown in the last photo. 

You aware thats not white line painted on skin, right? Thats actually what makes the makeup / skin more realistic - same as RL lip gloss - it react on light source and at some point its shiny, like that ee6876bef70971e5896dd2d27d6d0293.jpg

Its not white line painted on the head, on the skin or on the lipstick, its light.

A lot of heads has optional shine, even types of "skin shine" - like more or less oily, glam, more visible pores etc - all of them react on windlight and light sources. So speaking about more or less realistic you don't like what makes the heads closer to RL and in same time you complain about female heads / skin being not realistic. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Angelina String said:

Just to clarify - that white line is not in the skin, that's just me wearing to much lip gloss and standing straight beneath a spotlight - aka reflections:)

I'm not sure where that white line is from but I've seen it a lot recently and I cannot remember if it's from lipstick demos or skins.  It's even on the default head I have.  

The following photo is the mesh head I am wearing now with her default skin.  There is a white line.  (I took the photo about five days ago because I needed to know how to get rid of that white line there.)

Snapshot_036 (2).png

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I'm not sure where that white line is from but I've seen it a lot recently and I cannot remember if it's from lipstick demos or skins.  It's even on the default head I have.  

The following photo is the mesh head I am wearing now with her default skin.  There is a white line.  (I took the photo about five days ago because I needed to know how to get rid of that white line there.)

Snapshot_036 (2).png

I do beleive thats gloss on the lipstick layer, not white line.

Maybe try to more understand how things like WL, lights, materials and such a things work in SL before you will jump into conclusions - like white lines - what do not really exist because they are how your gloss on lips reflects light (whatever the light was, local light in the building (lamp), sun, your facelight ...). If you would understand how it works, you would not see it as ugly, because you would turn the gloss off in the head HUD or you would use less glossy lipstick etc ... 

A lot of things has really easy solution, when you know what to do.

Your "white line" fits the saying "its not a bug, its a feature". Its not a mistake, that it is there and its not just a white line. Its light reflection to archieve the illusion of glossy make up. How to fix it? Either play around with the HUD that came with your head or try different make up.

8 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

There is a white line.  (I took the photo about five days ago because I needed to know how to get rid of that white line there.)

That "white line" is a natural sheen highlight on the lipstick from where light would reflect. the same happens in RL to get rid of it you'd need find a matte lipstick applier with no sheen, highlights or shading on it

16 minutes ago, loverdag said:

You aware thats not white line painted on skin, right? Thats actually what makes the makeup / skin more realistic - same as RL lip gloss - it react on light source and at some point its shiny, like that ee6876bef70971e5896dd2d27d6d0293.jpg

Its not white line painted on the head, on the skin or on the lipstick, its light.

A lot of heads has optional shine, even types of "skin shine" - like more or less oily, glam, more visible pores etc - all of them react on windlight and light sources. So speaking about more or less realistic you don't like what makes the heads closer to RL and in same time you complain about female heads / skin being not realistic. 

@loverdag

I stated I'd like a skin more realistic BEFORE makeup though.    

But, yes, there is a weird white line sometimes that is overdone and doesn't look right too me. 

And, if I don't make myself heard...how will creator's know what I am looking for...even if it's not particularly main stream.  

I know many people complain about stuff before they actually even know how to work stuff.  I see it all the time in reviews.  It's actually the person who doesn't know how to work the item giving a bad review.  However, we, as creator's, need to remember everyone needs to start somewhere so we need to include better instructions.  I do my best to write out instructions in my listings but sometimes I know I need to do better...like approaching instructions as if it's someone just starting the first day.  

I think I mentioned, I found an YS & YS skin I like for a good cupid's bow...but in the photo I will show it's tone 2 and then tone 1 may as well be vampire it's almost pure white.  I still like the skin though but need a lighter skin to make an Angel and have the skin reflect a little...so I understand a little about reflection but am just starting.  Started SL photography about three weeks ago.  Am newbie there too.

Snapshot_049 (2).png

4 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

to get rid of it you'd need find a matte lipstick applier with no sheen, highlights or shading on it

And she would also need to check the main HUD for her mesh head, to ensure that there is no gloss/shine setting on either lips or skin.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

@loverdag

I stated I'd like a skin more realistic BEFORE makeup though.    

But, yes, there is a weird white line sometimes that is overdone and doesn't look right too me. 

And, if I don't make myself heard...how will creator's know what I am looking for...even if it's not particularly main stream.  

I know many people complain about stuff before they actually even know how to work stuff.  I see it all the time in reviews.  It's actually the person who doesn't know how to work the item giving a bad review.  However, we, as creator's, need to remember everyone needs to start somewhere so we need to include better instructions.  I do my best to write out instructions in my listings but sometimes I know I need to do better...like approaching instructions as if it's someone just starting the first day.  

I think I mentioned, I found an YS & YS skin I like for a good cupid's bow...but in the photo I will show it's tone 2 and then tone 1 may as well be vampire it's almost pure white.  I still like the skin though but need a lighter skin to make an Angel and have the skin reflect a little...so I understand a little about reflection but am just starting.  Started SL photography about three weeks ago.  Am newbie there too.

If you have "shine on" on your heads layers (skin and / or lipstick), all skins and makeups will be shiny, because the shine is on the mesh. Please follow instructions from Skell and pay attention to main HUD for your head, watch video tutorials or something. Or ask for help instead, as you said yourself, giving "bad reviews". 

As you said, you "just started" and probably didn't give yourself enough time to understand how it works, same with fashion, you still didn't visit enough shopping events and mainstores of the brand what aren't on MP etc, so its too early to say that fashion you want doens't exist in SL. 

Edited by loverdag

1 hour ago, loverdag said:

If you have "shine on" on your heads layers (skin and / or lipstick), all skins and makeups will be shiny, because the shine is on the mesh. Please follow instructions from Skell and pay attention to main HUD for your head, watch video tutorials or something. Or ask for help instead, as you said yourself, giving "bad reviews". 

As you said, you "just started" and probably didn't give yourself enough time to understand how it works, same with fashion, you still didn't visit enough shopping events and mainstores of the brand what aren't on MP etc, so its too early to say that fashion you want doens't exist in SL. 

Okay, I need to watch the video on Youtube because the slider is all the way down (like towards the bottom of the computer screen) and it won't move.  I went to a low lag sim as we have lots of twinkling lights around where I live but still the slider will not move.  

Let me watch the video I found on my head on Youtube and see if that helps this glossiness.  If not, I can contact the Catwa inworld group and ask because the slider will not move and I pressed the SKIN BUTTON and ALL and still the slider will not move.  

47 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Okay, I need to watch the video on Youtube because the slider is all the way down (like towards the bottom of the computer screen) and it won't move.  I went to a low lag sim as we have lots of twinkling lights around where I live but still the slider will not move.  

Let me watch the video I found on my head on Youtube and see if that helps this glossiness.  If not, I can contact the Catwa inworld group and ask because the slider will not move and I pressed the SKIN BUTTON and ALL and still the slider will not move.  

If the Shine slider won't move then there are several possible causes. If you literally can't drag the slider up and down at all, there may be another HUD that's overlapping the Catwa Master HUD and preventing you from moving it. Toggle CTRL + ALT + T and anything transparent will show up as red. Sometimes when HUDs minimise they just go mostly invisible, so you could have something overlapping the Catwa HUD.

If that's all okay, go to the Catwa store and get a redelivery of your head using the terminal at the landing point. Try using the redelivered HUD (no need to add a fresh copy of your head just yet. If that works, you're all set. (BTW, no need for the slider to remove all shine; you can just click either the skin or lips icon and click the 'x' beneath the slider.)

If a redelivered HUD doesn't work, check that you've not de-scripted your head. Do other appliers work on it? If they do, try a complete reset of your head. Assuming it's a Catwa Bento head, that's the 2nd tab of the Master HUD. Look on the far right for the red 'RESET' button. Click any of the icons beneath it, then click 'reset'. The top icon is to reset just the skin, the middle icon is to reset the appliers, and the 'all' icon will reset the head back to out-of-the-box default skin.

If the reset won't do anything, then try the fresh re-delivered copy of your head.

Edited by Skell Dagger

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

If the Shine slider won't move then there are several possible causes. If you literally can't drag the slider up and down at all, there may be another HUD that's overlapping the Catwa Master HUD and preventing you from moving it. Toggle CTRL + ALT + T and anything transparent will show up as red. Sometimes when HUDs minimise they just go mostly invisible, so you could have something overlapping the Catwa HUD.

If that's all okay, go to the Catwa store and get a redelivery of your head using the terminal at the landing point. Try using the redelivered HUD (no need to add a fresh copy of your head just yet. If that works, you're all set. (BTW, no need for the slider to remove all shine; you can just click either the skin or lips icon and click the 'x' beneath the slider.)

If a redelivered HUD doesn't work, check that you've not de-scripted your head. Do other appliers work on it? If they do, try a complete reset of your head. Assuming it's a Catwa Bento head, that's the 2nd tab of the Master HUD. Look on the far right for the red 'RESET' button. Click any of the icons beneath it, then click 'reset'. The top icon is to reset just the skin, the middle icon is to reset the appliers, and the 'all' icon will reset the head back to out-of-the-box default skin.

If the reset won't do anything, then try the fresh re-delivered copy of your head.

K...I'll do that.  Thanks!

Meanwhile, I never thought of this before...but it's kind of neat...just type in Second Life Mesh Head Skin Female or Male in Google Images and you can see all kinds of skin at a glance and then go to the page by clicking on the image.

Doing the above and using Google Images may save me a lot of time in looking for what I want instead of rushing into stuff not knowing what I am doing.  

Also, it does seem some skins have a white line above the lips (see photo #4 but there are others) and what I want is a darker natural lip with almost no white at the top of the lip, almost like a very subtle lip liner at the top of the lip (a bit more like photos 1 through 3).  Even some male skins do have a white line above the lip as in photo #4 but looks like a add on was put onto the lips.  See various images below.  Some photos could be using glossiness though, even on the male skin.  I'm not sure.   (I choose some of the men photos because they don't have the make up on.)  Then see last photo of the women...she has 3 varities of lips - the last is obviously a matte lipstick and no white line.  

Also, in the photo of the male with the SILVER "winged" necklace (photo #4)...where do I find jewelry like that please?  It's amazing!  It's just amazing!

men.png

male.jpg

yori.jpg

jewelry.jpg

lips.jpg

Edited by FairreLilette

In addition, the last two images there all feature very strong lighting (less in the GA.EG ad than in the female skin triptych) close to the face. I noticed it also in your earlier image of your avatar: the brightness on areas such as the chin, tip of the nose, and above/between the brows is a clear giveaway that lighting is being used, either in the form of a facelight or projected lighting in front of the avatar. When a bright photography Windlight (such as CalWL, any of the Nam's Optimal ones, or NB Alpine Skinlight) is being used, the lighting effect is compounded even more.

A couple of examples below. On both images the lip shine setting on the Catwa Master HUD is pushed to 100%, but on the left image the lips appear matte while on the right image they're very glossy. Why? Because the projected lighting is off to the avatar's right. In the left image the avatar is turned away from the light, whereas in the right image the avatar is turned toward the light, hence the reflection:

shine_example.jpg.8d2c4d95baaabcf21eb3748ef67a11af.jpg

Wear a facelight, however, and that light will always be directly in front of your face.

It's also worth bearing in mind that many appliers - including some skins - make use of materials. So if you're using Advanced Lighting settings there's a strong chance that any lighting in the area - be it a worn light such as a facelight - or an environmental light will cause shine on areas of the face, even if you have your head's shine settings switched off.

56 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Also, in the photo of the male with the SILVER "winged" necklace (photo #4)...where do I find jewelry like that please?  It's amazing!  It's just amazing!

Gabriel have an old group freebie like that, but I'd suggest trying RealEvil for something of similar (indeed better) quality to the one in that 7DS ad.

Edited by Skell Dagger

12 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Also, it does seem some skins have a white line above the lips (see photo #4 but there are others) and what I want is a darker natural lip with almost no white at the top of the lip, almost like a very subtle lip liner at the top of the lip (a bit more like photos 1 through 3).  Even some male skins do have a white line above the lip as in photo #4 but looks like a add on was put onto the lips.  See various images below.  Some photos could be using glossiness though, even on the male skin.  I'm not sure.   (I choose some of the men photos because they don't have the make up on.)  Then see last photo of the women...she has 3 varities of lips - the last is obviously a matte lipstick and no white line.  

How do you know its part of the skin (the skin texture)? 

How do you know tis not INTENTIONALY set shine on the MESH, on the head lips layer?

We told you its not white line painted on skin, we told you how to allow it or restrict it on your MESH head - because its not part of the skin and its OPTIONAL -  ... and you are back to "white lines on skin"?

(Do not answer, those are rhetorical questions.)

53 minutes ago, loverdag said:

How do you know its part of the skin (the skin texture)? 

How do you know tis not INTENTIONALY set shine on the MESH, on the head lips layer?

We told you its not white line painted on skin, we told you how to allow it or restrict it on your MESH head - because its not part of the skin and its OPTIONAL -  ... and you are back to "white lines on skin"?

(Do not answer, those are rhetorical questions.)

No, I don't know...that's what I was trying to say because of the myriad of lighting effects.  I have no idea what lighting or extra "lumi" like lighting is being used.  

Also, in photo of the women with three different lips...you can see it is some kind of shininess added because it's even less under her eyes.

I need to try some matte lipsticks.  

I will try in the same lighting I was using so I can see how the difference is.

3 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

the slider is all the way down (like towards the bottom of the computer screen) and it won't move

I just logged in to take some sample photos for this thread, and I realised what may be the issue here. That slider won't move until you select either the whole of the skin, or the lower (left) or upper (right) layer of the lips icon, as per the arrowed image below:

catwa_hud_lipshine.jpg.99d85d6a6be66bc164302de53619bd32.jpg

And here are the two images that I took, to show examples of how lip shine can even happen on a male skin with no lipstick etc added. On the left, the shine is at 100% and on the right it's completely off. While the facial hair covers much of it, note the 'white line' on the top of the upper lip, as well as the shine in the centre of the lower lip.

male_shine_example.png.524f6fba9ea5216b0f8cc87980b39ac7.png

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

In addition, the last two images there all feature very strong lighting (less in the GA.EG ad than in the female skin triptych) close to the face. I noticed it also in your earlier image of your avatar: the brightness on areas such as the chin, tip of the nose, and above/between the brows is a clear giveaway that lighting is being used, either in the form of a facelight or projected lighting in front of the avatar. When a bright photography Windlight (such as CalWL, any of the Nam's Optimal ones, or NB Alpine Skinlight) is being used, the lighting effect is compounded even more.

A couple of examples below. On both images the lip shine setting on the Catwa Master HUD is pushed to 100%, but on the left image the lips appear matte while on the right image they're very glossy. Why? Because the projected lighting is off to the avatar's right. In the left image the avatar is turned away from the light, whereas in the right image the avatar is turned toward the light, hence the reflection:

shine_example.jpg.8d2c4d95baaabcf21eb3748ef67a11af.jpg

Wear a facelight, however, and that light will always be directly in front of your face.

It's also worth bearing in mind that many appliers - including some skins - make use of materials. So if you're using Advanced Lighting settings there's a strong chance that any lighting in the area - be it a worn light such as a facelight - or an environmental light will cause shine on areas of the face, even if you have your head's shine settings switched off.

Gabriel have an old group freebie like that, but I'd suggest trying RealEvil for something of similar (indeed better) quality to the one in that 7DS ad.

Yes, I see.  That's cool!  Wow!

Thanks for the link to the jewelry.  That silver winged necklace was free?  That's a gorgeous piece for sure!  

5 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I just logged in to take some sample photos for this thread, and I realised what may be the issue here. That slider won't move until you select either the whole of the skin, or the lower (left) or upper (right) layer of the lips icon, as per the arrowed image below:

catwa_hud_lipshine.jpg.99d85d6a6be66bc164302de53619bd32.jpg

And here are the two images that I took, to show examples of how lip shine can even happen on a male skin with no lipstick etc added. On the left, the shine is at 100% and on the right it's completely off. While the facial hair covers much of it, note the 'white line' on the top of the upper lip, as well as the shine in the centre of the lower lip.

male_shine_example.png.524f6fba9ea5216b0f8cc87980b39ac7.png

Oh wow, what a difference!  

and @loverdag  how was I supposed to know there wasn't a white line there when there is?   How could I know it's just a lighting or glossiness effect?  Mind read?  I am not a mind reader.  

Just type in Google Images Second Life Mesh Head Skin and it's all almost white lines on all the faces on the lips.  How was I to know what was going on with that?  All, I know is I see a white line, loverdag.  

You know, give me a little time here to catch on 'cause I don't want that white line there.  So, I need glossiness OFF.  

5 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

So, I need glossiness OFF.

Yep, that's a good start. And when you're trying demos of skins and makeup, make sure you're wearing a facelight or standing near a projected light, to see if the skin/makeup makes use of materials (which will cause shine even if you have your head's glossiness/shine switched off). Normally I'd not recommend a facelight, but for checking materials a bright light that will make it obvious is a good way to check for it.

46 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

and @loverdag  how was I supposed to know there wasn't a white line there when there is?   How could I know it's just a lighting or glossiness effect?  Mind read?  I am not a mind reader.  

We told you. We showed you pictures (Angelina showed herself in other light without the "white line"). We explained to you that you need turn it off on the mesh, because its not skin.

6 hours ago, loverdag said:

If you have "shine on" on your heads layers (skin and / or lipstick), all skins and makeups will be shiny, because the shine is on the mesh.

6 hours ago, loverdag said:

You aware thats not white line painted on skin, right?

2 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Also, it does seem some skins have a white line above the lips (see photo #4 but there are others) and what I want is a darker natural lip with almost no white at the top of the lip, almost like a very subtle lip liner at the top of the lip (a bit more like photos 1 through 3).  Even some male skins do have a white line above the lip as in photo #4 but looks like a add on was put onto the lips. 

1 hour ago, loverdag said:

We told you. We showed you pictures (Angelina showed herself in other light without the "white line"). We explained to you that you need turn it off on the mesh, because its not skin.

I'm going to have to give @FairreLilette a little slack here.. Have you actually read the notecards that come with mesh heads/bodies? They have little to no info in them on how anything actually works. You have to join their group, if they have one, and even then most of the members are like the ones that have responded here. Most of what was said here to her was very pretentious. Responding as if she should know the inner workings of a mesh body just because they bought it. 

At least Skell posted pictures of the hud and how to turn off the shine.. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.