Multiple Marketplace Stores per Avatar

AceyXx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was just wondering why it isn't a thing to have a multiple marketplace stores per avatar, I would love this feature. I'd like to be able to create different stores for different categories of things I make so that it'll carry the brand not just in one mish mash store that has everything. I understand that there are categories on the side where users can just filter through that way... but it's just the brand. It also avoids making "shop avatars" or at least lessens it. 

33 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

My first thought was gacha store 1, gacha store 2, gacha store 3  as another MP clutter area

There might be legit reasons, like not wantig to sell dinkie outfits and adult RLV toys with the same shop - but that is what people have alts for.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rockridge Constantine said:

I wondered the same thing.  I currently sell PlantPets on MP and would like to keep that as a separate business from say reselling gacha items. i would rather not have an alt account for each business.

i don't see the difference between seperate stores or a store held by a alt.
What could be of use is have categories in the store itself instead of one huge pile of listed items.

My guess is that since the separation can be accomplished via multiple accounts, i.e. using alts, then there will never be the ability to have multiple stores per avatar account. The avatar name is basically the store id, thus it would likely take a huge rewrite to change that underlying setup.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

pi don't see the difference between seperate stores or a store held by a alt.
What could be of use is have categories in the store itself instead of one huge pile of listed items.

The stores do have categories, assuming people use them, right on the side. You can sort a merchant's store the same way you can sort the entire MP.  This sort is what removes the need (or ability) for individual stores to have their own categories (especially self created ones which wouldn't mesh well with the remainder of the mp, and you just know people would pick/make random categories if they could, lol).

There are some merchants that don't seem to use categories right when listing, well, they use them right, just not *my* version of right. For example, I just went through this some months back when trying to help a friend find plain damn jeans. Some merchants will use the jeans category(thank you!!) while others, stick with bottoms and don't expand beyond that, or put them under pants. TECHNICALLY, they are correct (and as we've all seen from the recent gacha thread...LL is okay with people being "technically right", lmao). But it would be nice if people used the categories that exist. If you sell jeans, list them under jeans. It's not super annoying to me, it just is what it is,but, it definitely stopped me from buying from, or recommending, a great deal of well known merchants, lol. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 12/16/2018 at 3:50 PM, Tari Landar said:

TECHNICALLY, they are correct (and as we've all seen from the recent gacha thread...LL is okay with people being "technically right", lmao). But it would be nice if people used the categories that exist. If you sell jeans, list them under jeans. It's not super annoying to me, it just is what it is,but, it definitely stopped me from buying from, or recommending, a great deal of well known merchants, lol. 

Greetings!

They are not correct.  

The Marketplace Listing Guidelines specifically says NOT to put items in top level categories unless there is no appropriate sub-category.  If the item is for a pair of jeans, then the listing MUST be put into the Jeans sub-category or the category choice is wrong. 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines#category-guidelines

There are even 2 examples in the Listing Guidelines to try to help sellers better understand.

Unfortunately, far too many sellers do this, and far too many users just do not bother to report those listings when they see them so it never gets addressed or fixed. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Unfortunately, far too many sellers do this, and far too many users just do not bother to report those listings when they see them so it never gets addressed or fixed.

You most likely won't like the comment but it's a logic result, it's confusing, not consequent and never ending story, users could spend their whole days in cleaning other's mess "mistakes". Unless LL gets a grip on MP it will never be solved. You can''t put this on users.

3 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

far too many users just do not bother to report those listings when they see them so it never gets addressed or fixed. 

My bet would be that the vast majority of users either don't realize something is in the wrong category and/or don't know that they can report items for not being far enough down in the sub-categories.  

Or, like me, they find the flagging categories extremely non-obvious.  The first time I went to flag an item as not in the right category", it never dawned on me that the top 'Reason for Flag' should be "Item Not As Advertised", yet that is where the 'Detailed Reason' of "Incorrect Listing Category" is found.  The first time I tried this, I simply assumed that as a regular consumer, rather than an MP store owner, certain flagging reasons were possibly not available to me.

Per the Jeans example above, the pair of jeans would likely have been advertised as Jeans and thus "Not as Advertised" seems totally wrong for a primary flagging reason.  

So, if you want users to flag items more, I'd highly recommend an overhaul to that flagging setup.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5

I was confused about the flagging categories too. I didn't realize that there was an option given to flag for incorrect category, thinking there had to be some special complex procedure for it, until I went hunting through several different menu items looking for it and found it. And I only did that when there was an egregious problem making my item search difficult instead of only being an irritation. There was a subcategory for something completely unrelated to avatar accessories flooded with a particular type of avatar accessory, with the titles not consistent enough to filter out with a NOT search. I didn't bother trying to flag lesser problems when I couldn't find the right category quickly.

It's not intuitive and seems like an easy fix, just add more text to one menu label on the flag page.

Edited by callistanull
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 9:50 PM, Tari Landar said:

Some merchants will use the jeans category(thank you!!) while others, stick with bottoms and don't expand beyond that, or put them under pants. TECHNICALLY, they are correct (and as we've all seen from the recent gacha thread...LL is okay with people being "technically right", lmao). But it would be nice if people used the categories that exist. If you sell jeans, list them under jeans. It's not super annoying to me, it just is what it is,but, it definitely stopped me from buying from, or recommending, a great deal of well known merchants, lol. 

People just don't care, too many of us (merchants) think that's okay because they never heard someone being punished because if that. The explanation I've heard for this is, when people look for general pants they might see those jeans and decide to buy them lol, so it is like showing your item to wider audience which is good because, even if people don't buy them instantly, they can save them for future so to them, this trend feels somehow like advertising. 

On 12/18/2018 at 8:11 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

My bet would be that the vast majority of users either don't realize something is in the wrong category and/or don't know that they can report items for not being far enough down in the sub-categories.  

Or, like me, they find the flagging categories extremely non-obvious.  The first time I went to flag an item as not in the right category", it never dawned on me that the top 'Reason for Flag' should be "Item Not As Advertised", yet that is where the 'Detailed Reason' of "Incorrect Listing Category" is found.  The first time I tried this, I simply assumed that as a regular consumer, rather than an MP store owner, certain flagging reasons were possibly not available to me.

Per the Jeans example above, the pair of jeans would likely have been advertised as Jeans and thus "Not as Advertised" seems totally wrong for a primary flagging reason.  

So, if you want users to flag items more, I'd highly recommend an overhaul to that flagging setup.

Same for me, I had no idea about this... I think the reasons for flagging are kinda confusing and when I click it, I rather give up flagging because it feels like whatever I click it will be wrong reason. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.