JessieHoo

How to stop scripts running for one particular avatar

Hello. Our group owns a parcel in mainland. We want to know how to stop scripts running for one particular avatar (or for one particular group) while let everyone know else run scripts normally. We think it should be possible because I see from firestorm’s land control tool that there is tick boxes letting you to choose whether allow everyone or your group only to run scripts. So I think the script alllowing me to do what I propose should exist in the library, and we just need an interface.  

Thank you very much

In About Land, you can specify that only group members are allowed to run scripts on land owned by the group. Then it's all or nothing.  You can't decide that some group members are allowed to run scripts and others aren't.  That's not an assignable group ability, and it cannot be controlled by LSL scripts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

In About Land, you can specify that only group members are allowed to run scripts on land owned by the group. Then it's all or nothing.  You can't decide that some group members are allowed to run scripts and others aren't.  That's not an assignable group ability, and it cannot be controlled by LSL scripts.

Thank you, but may I ask how this function (running script for a specific group) in SL is achieved? If I know the principle or source code implementing this run script function, then I can change the code for my own need.

Edited by JessieHoo

is not clear what your question is Jessie

do you mean: I want to stop the scripts of a specific avatar from running while allowing all other avatars scripts to run

if so then no we can't we do this.  What we can  do is stop all avatar scripts from running. Or we can stop all avatar scripts from running,  except for scripts owned by avatars in our group

to stop a specific avatar from running scripts on our parcel while allowing all other avatars to run scripts then we have to ban the specific avatar from our parcel

Edited by ellestones

1 hour ago, ellestones said:

do you mean: I want to stop the scripts of a specific avatar from running while allowing all other avatars scripts to run

Yes, I want to do that. As I have seen there seems to be no available tools to do this. So I will research the method the viewers use to only allow group members to run scripts, and modify that method to accomplish my goal.

No, it's not a viewer thing at all. The viewer controls (in all viewers) merely set flags that tell the sim that it should or shouldn't run scripts belonging to a group, or everyone.

I guess on OpenSim one could change the sim code to make that setting specific to specified avatars (or phases of the moon, or whatever), but need to be careful of its performance impact. There's already rather a lot of sim processing whenever an avatar enters a parcel, including to determine if as a group member some of their attached scripts should run.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JessieHoo said:

Thank you, but may I ask how this function (running script for a specific group) in SL is achieved?

It is achieved server-side.  We have no control over that and no access to server code. What you are asking is not possible.

Only RLV can  make a script unrespnsive to the owner. But the script is still active. It also would reqiure the owners permission which can be revoked at any time and the scripts can be simply reset.

The ability to run scripts is controlled on the simulator(region).  

Your only options are:

• Everyone can run scripts
  • Only group members can run scripts
  • Nobody can run scripts

There is no option to say: "Bob can not run scripts." 

As an aside, since you did not specify what problem you are trying to solve, if "Bob" is causing problems you can always ban him from entering the parcel or region.

• Like 3

On 12/15/2018 at 1:03 AM, Rider Linden said:

As an aside, since you did not specify what problem you are trying to solve, if "Bob" is causing problems you can always ban him from entering the parcel or region.

Thank you for the affirmative negative answer. The problem we are facing, is that some people visiting our land always wear very script heavy items which are rarely used (and we think they never use any thing during their visit). We have notified them several times but they do not care to change that. They are our acquaintance. We do not wanna ban them. However we do not want our own scripts running slowly when they are visiting. So I am thinking about how to seamlessly stop them from running scripts in our land without ejecting them or even notifying them (since they do not care). 

I will see if I can find another way around then. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JessieHoo said:

Thank you for the affirmative negative answer. The problem we are facing, is that some people visiting our land always wear very script heavy items which are rarely used (and we think they never use any thing during their visit). We have notified them several times but they do not care to change that. They are our acquaintance. We do not wanna ban them. However we do not want our own scripts running slowly when they are visiting. So I am thinking about how to seamlessly stop them from running scripts in our land without ejecting them or even notifying them (since they do not care). 

Make running scripts a group-only privilege, and prevent certain people from being in the group.

16 minutes ago, JessieHoo said:

You can run a script count code at an entry to sim point that can trigger a time limit for reduction or ejection. That code has been around for years. A free script counter can be obtain easy moded.