Build university in second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Mgemyk said:

Dear all 

i am working in one of the biggest universities in Egypt and i need help to build our university in second life.

is there any kind of help here ? 🙄

Discussions for educational organizations and educational use of Second Life is this section, not about how to build it.
You will need your own plans about it first and possibly discuss it here than.
It's possible some residents are able to help after that.

For the discount program you can have  look here, but won't be available for RP purposes

http://go.secondlife.com/landing/education/

• 3 months later...

Considering what more can be done to further the sustainable growth of SL should include education nwo doubt.  The most rewarding experiences I have found in SL include that aspect of interaction.  I am currently taking Blender classes in SL and its amazing how good the classes are.  I have actually learned how to start taming that huge beast that Blender is.  That brings me to another thought or question though.......A "real" virtual university.  Its a shame there is not one on SL that I know of that's all I am saying.  I hope the decline is addressed in a way that offers something actually valuable, like real world certificates that could be earned in SL. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 9:11 AM, Karmandi Caeran said:

A "real" virtual university.  Its a shame there is not one on SL that I know of that's all I am saying.  I hope the decline is addressed in a way that offers something actually valuable, like real world certificates that could be earned in SL. 

About 12 years ago you could have seen the rise of a lot RL companies, schools or any other kind of institutions in SL. As soon as they found out, not enough people are willing to buy virtual Nike shoes or taking classes in a university, the decline began.

But that should not stop you.
Build, whats in your mind, and if you need answers, you probably can get some qualified ones by visiting the "builders brewery"
You´ll find them inworld easily using the search, or have a look at their sheduled classes first.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 6:11 PM, Karmandi Caeran said:

Considering what more can be done to further the sustainable growth of SL should include education nwo doubt.  The most rewarding experiences I have found in SL include that aspect of interaction.  I am currently taking Blender classes in SL and its amazing how good the classes are.  I have actually learned how to start taming that huge beast that Blender is.  That brings me to another thought or question though.......A "real" virtual university.  Its a shame there is not one on SL that I know of that's all I am saying.  I hope the decline is addressed in a way that offers something actually valuable, like real world certificates that could be earned in SL. 

I don't see why not tbh. Quite a lot of qualifications can be done online now with just tick and flicks. 

The issue is due to online learning does not require elements of SL, so the extra step of getting into SL would be seen as an obstacle than bonus, and also consider people who doesn't even know where the shift key sits (they exist, I met them)

Where for the concurrent users, SL is a fun sandbox, so you use SL as a mean to the end of the fun sandbox where you can build ridiculous shaped towns. 

IMO, education facility is great, like BB for example, but it's just not well suited for wider educational facilities consider some people use stone age computers and won't even know how to WASD. If SL were to have education they need to have systems where the registrant is a grey man/woman sitting  right into a lecture, and let the tech capable ones to go around and discover instead.

Edited by iamyourneighbour

• 4 weeks later...

It wasn't just that these companies couldn't sell product through Second Life, it was that Linden used to offer discounts for sims to institutions and made deals with companies... so people got excited.  When that went away, and the price of a sim was like $1400. a month, well... they left.  Plus SL was hit by a huge wave of scandal where it was asserted pedophiles and perverts were hanging out.  That negative press was hard to overcome.

I miss the universities. Mostly because they were fantastic for squatting in the sky above the campuses, with prim allowances of like 15,000 or more still left to play with.  It was awesomes. These days I'm premium so it's not the end of the world.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.