Jump to content

What are some of your pet peeves?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 98 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

It shouldn't matter how you look or what lifestyle you are in, you should be able to enjoy the grid without the abuse like everyone else. I am getting sick and tired of seeing this all the time, and you have a bunch of people who will join in on it. Take a few seconds to learn about lifestyles or certain looks, instead of being so ignorant and bullying them to the point they are scared to even be themselves. This is what happened to furries, and they went into hiding for many years.

Yes i wish they would accept us anywhere, unfortunately i need to change to more adult look when i go to a place like Muddys, but i don't go there too often. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh I just have one pet peeve. I really can't stand people who are annoyed by either of the following: empty profiles, 'unreadable' fonts, unmatching body parts, flexi prims, AO-less avis, jazz hands,

DJs/hosts teleport inviting their "friends"

I'm not apportioning blame for what's been going on in this forum recently, because that's one thing that appears to start a thread on its downward spiral. Like many of us here - I am absolutely

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Jeny Howlett said:

Yes i wish they would accept us anywhere, unfortunately i need to change to more adult look when i go to a place like Muddys, but i don't go there too often. 

I think I may have been there once. I found i honestly boring, a club where people casually stand around and chit chat. No one was dancing when I went there. But yeah it just feels like the people who are fighting to stop discrimination, are the ones who are causing it for people they just don't understand in SL. Because what you will notice, it is mainly the women who have the HG or Freya body, who are curvy, who tend to constantly have their claws out and will attack anyone for not looking like them. Yet you point out or just ask why someone looks this way,  because you are purely just curious as to what attracts them to that specific look. You literally are lambasted and attacked, cause somehow you are shaming them. Well if you don't like being shamed yourself in RL, stop doing it to others in SL. But yeah I just wish people would let people express themselves in SL and not feel like they are gonna be forced underground to be able to do it. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jeny Howlett said:

Yes i wish they would accept us anywhere, unfortunately i need to change to more adult look when i go to a place like Muddys, but i don't go there too often. 

On the bright side, I've often seen furries and ferals at Big Daddy's - they're there to have fun same as anyone else and they seem to be treated like everyone else, so I can't see it being a problem for Kawaii.

Muddy's always seemed a bit more 'uptight' to me than Big Daddy's, but that's just my personal observation

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

On the bright side, I've often seen furries and ferals at Big Daddy's - they're there to have fun same as anyone else and they seem to be treated like everyone else, so I can't see it being a problem for Kawaii.

Muddy's always seemed a bit more 'uptight' to me than Big Daddy's, but that's just my personal observation

I don't know, I just wish everyone could walk the grid freely while following TOS. Without those need for standards in how they look act, or present themselves. That is all I am asking.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

I don't know, I just wish everyone could walk the grid freely while following TOS. Without those need for standards in how they look act, or present themselves. That is all I am asking.

It's not a tough ask but people can be so stubborn that they refuse to separate rl from sl.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AnyaJurelle said:

It's not a tough ask but people can be so stubborn that they refuse to separate rl from sl.

But even in RL, there will people who will look exactly like that. There will be people into those lifestyles, or want to look Kawaii. Do they have a problem with these people in RL too? There is no set standard look of an adult, when it comes to the face. Hell, there are adults who are underdeveloped or who are vertically challenged.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

I think I may have been there once. I found i honestly boring, a club where people casually stand around and chit chat. No one was dancing when I went there. But yeah it just feels like the people who are fighting to stop discrimination, are the ones who are causing it for people they just don't understand in SL. Because what you will notice, it is mainly the women who have the HG or Freya body, who are curvy, who tend to constantly have their claws out and will attack anyone for not looking like them. Yet you point out or just ask why someone looks this way,  because you are purely just curious as to what attracts them to that specific look. You literally are lambasted and attacked, cause somehow you are shaming them. Well if you don't like being shamed yourself in RL, stop doing it to others in SL. But yeah I just wish people would let people express themselves in SL and not feel like they are gonna be forced underground to be able to do it. 

I mean, how do you phrase those questions? Hopefully more diplomatically than "Why are you so curvy?" Imagine that question from the other angle. "Why are you so short?" "Why are you so flat?" or whatever, that kind of curiosity would be very easily read as condescending.

As for why people like being curvy, well. Conventional beauty goes a long way to answer that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

I mean, how do you phrase those questions? Hopefully more diplomatically than "Why are you so curvy?" Imagine that question from the other angle. "Why are you so short?" "Why are you so flat?" or whatever, that kind of curiosity would be very easily read as condescending.

As for why people like being curvy, well. Conventional beauty goes a long way to answer that.

Well I would think that asking someone what attracts them to the specific look they are in is the best approach. I don't think anyone is meaning to be condescending, I think they are merely curious and want to try to understand what attracts people to those specific looks. I think that people do word it wrong, but I don't think their intentions are to shame or to be condescending. I think they are just plain curious. Like asking why are people interested in the furry lifestyle. People are very inquisitive and curious by nature, today not so much. They tend to want to put down people instead of taking the time to understand and educate themselves.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

Well I would think that asking someone what attracts them to the specific look they are in is the best approach. I don't think anyone is meaning to be condescending, I think they are merely curious and want to try to understand what attracts people to those specific looks. I think that people do word it wrong, but I don't think their intentions are to shame or to be condescending. I think they are just plain curious. Like asking why are people interested in the furry lifestyle. People are very inquisitive and curious by nature, today not so much. They tend to want to put down people instead of taking the time to understand and educate themselves.

What sort of answer are you expecting to get? If someone asked me why I look the way I do, the answer would be because I like it. I can see why a question about why someone chooses to have a curvy avatar would raise some hackles.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eva Knoller said:

What sort of answer are you expecting to get? If someone asked me why I look the way I do, the answer would be because I like it. I can see why a question about why someone chooses to have a curvy avatar would raise some hackles.

At that point in time, this had nothing to do with the curvy look. I was using that argument as an example. Basically what I was trying to say, is people need to take the time and ask questions, to understand people better. Instead of bringing them down, take the time to learn about them. You might find out you have a lot in common. Sorry for using that example, I will try not to use an example such as that again. But at the same time, if you read up. It was also kinda going on about the hypocrisies here. Basically it's not okay to ask questions, but it's okay for these same people who feel attacked, to attack others.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

But at the same time, I don't mind people asking me about being trans. I would rather ask questions, than have to deal with the discrimination or like they know everything.  The more you know. That is what I am getting at, I would rather take the time to explain about who I am, than having to sit there and endure attacks or having people act like they know more about me being trans, and somehow I know less then them. As they say, Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. Yet, knowing is half the battle. We live in a world, both SL and RL. Where people would rather live in ignorance, than take the few minutes it takes to ask questions and educate themselves. I am all for an educated populace, not an ignorant populace.

 

Edited by halebore Aeon
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, halebore Aeon said:

At that point in time, this had nothing to do with the curvy look. I was using that argument as an example. Basically what I was trying to say, is people need to take the time and ask questions, to understand people better. Instead of bringing them down, take the time to learn about them. You might find out you have a lot in common. Sorry for using that example, I will try not to use an example such as that again. But at the same time, if you read up. It was also kinda going on about the hypocrisies here. Basically it's not okay to ask questions, but it's okay for these same people who feel attacked, to attack others.

 

Okay, I think I get what you are saying. The curvy part did not offend, as I don’t have a particularly curvy avatar. Avatar appearance and identity is s very personal thing, so I can see why someone would take offense to being asked why they look the way they do, especially if the question came out of nowhere. It would be different if the question happened naturally over the course of a conversation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eva Knoller said:

Okay, I think I get what you are saying. The curvy part did not offend, as I don’t have a particularly curvy avatar. Avatar appearance and identity is s very personal thing, so I can see why someone would take offense to being asked why they look the way they do, especially if the question came out of nowhere. It would be different if the question happened naturally over the course of a conversation.

I think the issue is, and this is just me. You may disagree, and that is totally fine. In today's world, whether it be SL or RL. People would rather live blissfully ignorant, rather than taking the time to learn stuff, ask questions, figure out what makes people tick. But even when asked, just in say Facebook groups. Which to be honest, some of them could have worded it better. Instead of feeling like you are attacked, maybe take the time and talk to them about it. Help them understand, we won't know why people like a certain look or lifestyle, or understand that lifestyle unless we ask. I totally understand it's personal, but you don't need to get into the semantics.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

I think the issue is, and this is just me. You may disagree, and that is totally fine. In today's world, whether it be SL or RL. People would rather live blissfully ignorant, rather than taking the time to learn stuff, ask questions, figure out what makes people tick. But even when asked, just in say Facebook groups. Which to be honest, some of them could have worded it better. Instead of feeling like you are attacked, maybe take the time and talk to them about it. Help them understand, we won't know why people like a certain look or lifestyle, or understand that lifestyle unless we ask. I totally understand it's personal, but you don't need to get into the semantics.

 

We don’t disagree. 🙂 It’s good that you care about taking the time to learn what makes people tick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

We don’t disagree. 🙂 It’s good that you care about taking the time to learn what makes people tick.

That is how I was raised, instead of assuming and getting my info from books and the internet. Get my info straight from the source, you will learn way more than what a book or the internet can teach you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

That is how I was raised, instead of assuming and getting my info from books and the internet. Get my info straight from the source, you will learn way more than what a book or the internet can teach you.

Ditto. The real issue, and it's not limited to Second Life, is that people take whatever they hear, even from strangers, as pure fact, rather than learning first-hand about anything. This, in turn, makes people cynical, a pent-up angst inside that they may not even realize. And that, in turn, makes every single contact with anyone else a reason to put themselves on-guard, anything said to or asked of them is immediately presumed to be for nefarious reason.

As I understand it, and in my own little world-bubble growing up, society as a whole used to be a lot more, for the most part, generally polite; people pretty much presumed the positives of things, now so many things seem to be automatically presumed to be of a negative nature. With the prevalence of these attitudes, I genuinely and literally feel that we who always try to presume the positive side of things are now becoming more and more of a minority in the world.

Edited by Alyona Su
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Ditto. The real issue, and it's not limited to Second Life, is that people take whatever they hear, even from strangers, as pure fact, rather than learning first-hand about anything. This, in turn, makes people cynical, a pent-up angst inside that they may not even realize. And that, in turn, makes every single contact with anyone else a reason to put themselves on-guard, anything said to or asked of them is immediately presumed to be for nefarious reason.

As I understand it, and in my own little world-bubble growing up, society as a whole used to be a lot more generally and and, for the most part, people pretty much presumed the positives of things, now most things are automatically presumed to be of a negative nature. With the prevalence of these attitudes, I genuinely and literally feel that we who always try to presume the positive side of things are now becoming more and more of a minority in the world.

I would have to agree with you there, like I am so scared to ask questions sometimes due to me being possibly attacked and wrongfully ousted as ignorant or discriminating or shaming someone. But yet that is not my intention, and never will be my intention. I just want to know, I am very curious and inquisitive. Excuse me for trying to learn and understand certain looks and lifestyles. This is why you rarely see me ask questions on my FB. Which i am not gonna assume you have one. But even then, yeah my behaviour in the past can make people a bit on the up goes the wall side. Now I am just naturally curious, and it feels like if I ask a question, that I do my best to word it appropriately. As to make it sound like I want to know, and want to understand. That somehow I am part of the problem itself, and that I am ignorant. And I don't want to get all my knowledge from books and the internet. Especially videos on YouTube, as this person is talking from their own personal experiences and why they like said look and lifestyle. And each person may have different individual reasons as to why they do this and that, so if you get your sources straight from the horses mouth, instead of the internet and books. You are gonna have a better understanding, as to why each individual does it.

Edited by halebore Aeon
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

Creators running giveaways on Facebook. I get that you want publicity, but why Facebook? How many SL residents even have Facebook accounts (that they post SL stuff on), given that they demand RL details?

And more relevantly, how many Facebook users would care about that picture of shiny virtual clothes that you shared? Nobody who ever was in my friend list, that much I know for sure.

Surely twitter or Flickr would both be much more suitable if you insist on social media. There is also the radical ideal of doing giveaways in-world, but banish the thought!

As a form of advertising, FB, Twitter, Flickr, all of those, are worthless. They do not reach the target audience because most of that audience isn't on any of those websites simply because those sites are not part of SL and not owned by LL. Advertising on those sites isn't going to bring in new customers. The majority of people on those sites have no interest whatsoever in SL or anything outside of their social cliques, if they aren't already a resident.

And yes I am one of those people they will never reach by advertising on any of those social media sites. I don't swim in toxic waters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

The biggest one was the whole Kawaii look. If I remember someone posted that they found it creepy, and hundreds of people were just on attack mode... this has been going on for as long as I can remember. 

 

Really? I seem to remember that whole thing kawaii neko/anime thing being HUGE inworld, just a couple of years ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CallumBH said:

Really? I seem to remember that whole thing kawaii neko/anime thing being HUGE inworld, just a couple of years ago. 

Yes, but my point is that these people are being attacked. Just because of how they look. Somehow these people seem to go this look, and then somehow first thing that pops in there head is coitus and intercourse. But yet, for most it's not all about that. They just want to look cute, and feel cute. That is all. How hard is that for people to fathom?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

Yes, but my point is that these people are being attacked. Just because of how they look. Somehow these people seem to go this look, and then somehow first thing that pops in there head is coitus and intercourse. But yet, for most it's not all about that. They just want to look cute, and feel cute. That is all. How hard is that for people to fathom?

Ah OK. I thought it was so ubiquitous as to not raise eyebrows anymore. SL has definitely become a lot more 'normal' in style and content compared to, say, 2010.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CallumBH said:

Ah OK. I thought it was so ubiquitous as to not raise eyebrows anymore. SL has definitely become a lot more 'normal' in style and content compared to, say, 2010.

But today that is becoming part of the norm, the unique look of a furry, or a neko or even the person with the kawaii look. They are slowly starting come out of hiding, and when people basically lambast them, and practically attack them. No wonder why they went into hiding in the first place. It reminds me of a sim I lived on once, a close friend owned it. And for like the first year or two, they allowed furries and other people like that. Then around late 2014, they totally changed that. So basically people were expected to change, or GTFO for short. I can see why you see a lot more normal looking people, because they are scared to express themselves. Essentially the same in RL. But this needs to stop, this discrimination of people who are classified as "creepy, weird and not normal" It really needs to stop. But because it's not seen as much on SL because they have other platforms to make fun of these people. There is nothing LL can do, and anyone who stands up for them. Gets labelled with such horrible and disgusting labels. Really makes you want to just give up, but I am too stubborn and will keep on fighting the good fight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna start going around in my Cardboard Boxbot avatar, or my Famous Chicken Suit.

I don't think it's exactly that people are scared to express themselves, Halebore.  It's more that they are just locked into a mindset of "look as hot as possible as a human".  There is so much content for that paradigm that most people just don't even consider the options further out on the curve.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'm gonna start going around in my Cardboard Boxbot avatar, or my Famous Chicken Suit.

I don't think it's exactly that people are scared to express themselves, Halebore.  It's more that they are just locked into a mindset of "look as hot as possible as a human".  There is so much content for that paradigm that most people just don't even consider the options further out on the curve.

I am currently dating someone, and I have seen a few people. Which I didn't say all. I am not gonna let my opinions become facts here. But He is very afraid to come out as himself, because everytime he does. The constant hate in his FB and SL IM's is ridiculous. They have literally broke down his confidence, and I have to pep talk him to try and boost his confidence and insecurities. I really do feel bad, that he constantly goes through with it, and that people are just this way. But if you look at FB, especially one group in particular. The people who attack this ideal or lifestyle, are the ones who have set standards on what is normal and what is not normal in SL. And everyone has to follow them, or your shunned and made fun of and attacked for being outside the norms.

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 98 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...