What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been hanging out on Social Island, and I've been reminded of two of my longstanding pet peeves...

1. Avatars who don't respond to a friendly greeting, but just run on past.
  2. Avatars who immediately accost you, asking for your location, age, marital status, and phone number (!)  All of the Randy Noobs seem to wear the same avatar, that 70's character with the orange paisley shirt, Sonny Bono hair and mustache, and the little boom box.

I've discovered how to convert Type 2 into Type 1 though...sit in a wheelchair.

Nobody yet has seemed to notice that Disabled Lindal is faster than they are.  They run past, then I fly up, wheelchair and all, fly over them, and land in front of them.  Then I say, "Hello again!" as they come up to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I've been hanging out on Social Island, and I've been reminded of two of my longstanding pet peeves...

1. Avatars who don't respond to a friendly greeting, but just run on past.
  2. Avatars who immediately accost you, asking for your location, age, marital status, and phone number (!)  All of the Randy Noobs seem to wear the same avatar, that 70's character with the orange paisley shirt, Sonny Bono hair and mustache, and the little boom box.

I've discovered how to convert Type 2 into Type 1 though...sit in a wheelchair.

Nobody yet has seemed to notice that Disabled Lindal is faster than they are.  They run past, then I fly up, wheelchair and all, fly over them, and land in front of them.  Then I say, "Hello again!" as they come up to me.

... Avatars that expect me to reply to random greetings, and/or stop and chat, if I'm focused on something important like running past them. Or shopping!

I guess regardless of what you do it'll be someone's peeve. :(

But I can elaborate. It's probably a thing derived from real life. Culturally, we never talk to strangers here unless clearly in a social setting, or drunk. And that value is so deeply ingrained into me that I can't help but bring it into virtual worlds too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Avatars who immediately accost you, asking for your location, age, marital status, and phone number (!) 

• Planet Venus
  • Let me check my profile to be sure
  • Polyamorous; just me and fifteen guys
  • 800-555-1212 (Directory Assistance)

I like to have fun with them.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't know that I've ever been asked for my phone number by someone I didn't know!

I feel so inadequate now.

One hopeful boy gave me HIS number.  I told him he should not be so trusting as to give out his number to anonymous people on the internet, and he never said a word to me again.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

One hopeful boy gave me HIS number.  I told him he should not be so trusting as to give out his number to anonymous people on the internet, and he never said a word to me again.

I found my number written on a bathroom wall once (probably by a jealous ex), does that count?

OK, I'm pretty narked at this, so it's going here. A well-known skin creator has some head appliers out for L$50 this weekend. I bought four tones. They also have V-Tech appliers, so I bought those in the matching four tones. Got home, went to apply everything... and the V-Tech appliers go - as expected - onto the V-Tech add-on, and also the torso of the underlying Maitreya body.

And that's it. They don't apply to the Maitreya lower body. (Yes, I tested all four tones, and yes I was wearing my Maitreya relay.) So now I need to go back and spend even more damn money to buy all four tones of the Maitreya body, just to get my legs the right tone.

Seriously? It's an Omega applier that's suitable for V-Tech wearers. Every other V-Tech compatible skin that I own applies to the entire body; it doesn't just cut off at the waist so that I'm expected to buy yet another applier (which costs twice as much as the V-Tech one) just for the legs. ¬¬

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

OK, I'm pretty narked at this, so it's going here. A well-known skin creator has some head appliers out for L$50 this weekend. I bought four tones. They also have V-Tech appliers, so I bought those in the matching four tones. Got home, went to apply everything... and the V-Tech appliers go - as expected - onto the V-Tech add-on, and also the torso of the underlying Maitreya body.

And that's it. They don't apply to the Maitreya lower body. (Yes, I tested all four tones, and yes I was wearing my Maitreya relay.) So now I need to go back and spend even more damn money to buy all four tones of the Maitreya body, just to get my legs the right tone.

Seriously? It's an Omega applier that's suitable for V-Tech wearers. Every other V-Tech compatible skin that I own applies to the entire body; it doesn't just cut off at the waist so that I'm expected to buy yet another applier (which costs twice as much as the V-Tech one) just for the legs. ¬¬

Probably why I avoided mesh bodies all this time....

Just now, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Probably why I avoided mesh bodies all this time....

It's the only store I've come across out of hundreds that I've tried that has done this. So no, not a reason to avoid having anything to do with mesh bodies. Instead, it's just a reason to avoid buying anything from that particular store again.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Yep, that would get me right royally narked - and unless it was a genuine mistake by the creator, then I call it a scam.

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

Interesting. I’m kind of curious as to what store that was, so that I don’t accidentally make that same mistake myself.

~Vael

6 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Hope it was just a genuine mistake by the creator but if it wasn't, then it's a dishonest and despicable way of forcing customers to buy from you.

I find that to be the case far more often in SL than I should. The group of people who wants SL to be as much like RL as possible have no idea what they are really asking for. And they are getting it. Much to my own disappointment. Including the money (greed) driven [global] society. 

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

I find that to be the case far more often in SL than I should. The group of people who wants SL to be as much like RL as possible have no idea what they are really asking for. And they are getting it. Much to my own disappointment. Including the money (greed) driven [global] society. 

Sadly, I agree. Ah well, their days are numbered.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.