What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Speaking of @Scylla Rhiadra, and we were, weren't we? I noticed she snuck in here and made a hasty retreat. Canadians! Amirite? Why do they get to be out of the food fight? All's fair in Forum Food Love and War! When their claim to fame is moose meat, sauted  fried (southern Canada) beaver tail in brown sauce, Timbits and bad coffee, and french fries with squeaky cheese and canned gravy...

image.png.2cdf64382dcf659f68e898f2cc263bd2.pngimage.png.93da03f9b3004c520332c4493ea47b64.pngimage.png.09b67cce2430d59d181c9209071b9722.pngimage.png.99b0974b8ee3272b8e87242f4980effb.pngimage.png.4d0a597e0106103a3a90505d59d2d684.png

And that my friends, is why there should be a border wall!

(Paid for by the Canadians.)

Edited by Seicher Rae
knew that sounded wrong
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

In defense of British food, bangers and mash is possibly the best thing the UK have given the world since Monty Python.

Oh, and Crunchies bars. And fish and chips. Oooh... and Smarties! The real ones, not the nasty American ones! Yorkshire Pudding! Shepherd's Pie! Scotch eggs! Crumpets! And I love mushy peas, too!

I've just spent three solid hours in Zoom meetings, looking forward to resurfacing in the "real" world here, only to find that the food wars are still in progress. AND I missed lunch.   [Sigh]

However ..... since the topic is still open, I have to agree with Beth that bangers and mash is a great British invention.  Not exactly a culinary delight, but quite satisfying.  Ditto for fish and chips.  In fact, more so for fish and chips.  With malt vinegar.  I can leave the rest of Beth's menu to one side, but those two belong on my menu.  Having said that, though, the very best fish and chips I have had in recent years were not in England at all, but in St John's, Newfoundland. They know fish.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos, of course
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

In fact, more so for fish and chips.  With malt vinegar.  I can leave the rest of Beth's menu to one side, but those two belong on my menu.  Having said that, though, the very best fish and chips I have had in recent years were not in England at all, but in St John's, Newfoundland. They know fish.

Bangers and mash are ok, imho. But good fish and chips? Yum. With malt vinegar? Of course. Sadly, I only ever got to Heathrow, so haven't been out and about in England. However, I had divine fish and chips (and Guinness) in Ireland. Also Dublin was the place I had my best Indian meal evah. Over on the west side of Ireland we had a wonderful fish dinner. Oddly, the worst potatoes I ever had were in a hotel in Leixlip. Ireland doesn't spring to mind as a culinary hot spot either, but I had some good meals there. Fish n chips... gah! Guinness! whah! I want!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

In defense of British food, bangers and mash is possibly the best thing the UK have given the world since Monty Python.

Steak and Kidney pie has entered the chat

26554C30-DFA9-4E36-91E8-7EECA665B8C7.jpeg

Edited by Janet Voxel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Speaking of @Scylla Rhiadra, and we were, weren't we? I noticed she snuck in here and made a hasty retreat. Canadians! Amirite? Why do they get to be out of the food fight? All's fair in Forum Food Love and War! When their claim to fame is moose meat, sauted  fried (southern Canada) beaver tail in brown sauce, Timbits and bad coffee, and french fries with squeaky cheese and canned gravy...image.png.99b0974b8ee3272b8e87242f4980effb.pngimage.png.4d0a597e0106103a3a90505d59d2d684.png

And that my friends, is why there should be a border wall!

(Paid for by the Canadians.)

Ooooooh nooooo she didn’!!!!!

Poutine and Tim Hortons are immediately off the table in this discussion!

*takes off earrings*

Meet me in the parking lot at 6!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

The Scandinavian palette certainly isn't the easiest to approach as an outsider, we've salted, smoked, pickled, dried and soured things for the sake of preservation for so long that we don't think twice about serving black pudding in elementary school. It may appear wild and weird, but it's all balanced so that the flavours compliment each other and build off of each other. We like flavour, damn it! 

We've already gone around the topic of lutfisk in a previous incarnation of this discussion, so I'll stand off to one side instead of offering a new opinion about whether it counts as "cuisine" or "flavorful". It is distinctive.  On the general topic of smoked, salted, and pickled foods, however, I agree that Scandinavians win the prize.

• Like 2

Just now, Janet Voxel said:

Ooooooh nooooo she didn’!!!!!

Poutine and Tim Hortons are immediately off the table in this discussion!

*takes off earrings*

Meet me in the parking lot at 6!!!

You're in social isolation! (Probably) You still wearing earrings, ffs?

As to the poutine, I had to scroll quite a bit to find a rather disgusting looking photo of the stuff. Most were too yummy looking for a Nyah! post. 

image.png.cada5255a22f2d63cfda7e0ca8e26986.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

On the general topic of smoked, salted, and pickled foods, however, I agree that Scandinavians win the prize.

Not quite sure what THAT prize would look like...

image.thumb.png.08bc9a7fa3ac2843365242b66e844ac5.png

Pretty sure I've pis5ed off enough people by now that I'm so "blocked" I'm invisible. Bwahahahaha

And that ^^^ is how one wins the Internet. :)

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

You must be around Montreal? I've heard stories of such things, from my bff. I think he was high at the time... but I heard stories.

You can do that too up here!

Speaking of another thing that’s better!

Edited by Janet Voxel
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

You guys keep talking about food instead of peeves... someone is gonna get pissy and get the thread closed. Most of us don't want that.

Point taken. Most of the earlier stuff was linked to peeves. Even if someone gets pissy (surprised we can type that word), hopefully the moderators are moderate enough just to see people having fun, especially in a 170+ page thread. But point taken...

:::sulks:::

If someone IS getting pissy, might I suggest posting a legit peeve, so that we can go about carping on topic?

ETA: Pet Peeve: Someone who gets pissy about the people having fun and not using the forums "in the right way." 

And btw, Selene, I have made rants, peeve or otherwise, about people "lecturing" about topics. You did a good job there in just two, pleasant, gentle reminder sentences. Some other people, in other threads, should take note on how it is done.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 3

Good Canadian food:

Tourtiere (delicious and spicy, esp. with cinnamon)

Back Bacon on a bun (invented in Toronto, by Carousel Bakery at the St. Lawrence Market, where you still get the best ones. The bun is a kaiser!)

Montreal Smoked Meat on Rye (with hot mustard. Except don't get it in Montreal yet, because it's the Covid-19 epicentre in Canada.)

Montreal Bagels (just seriously the best bagels ever -- chewy and a little doughy and sweet)

Maple Syrup (in moderation, people, in moderation)

Indian curry wrapped in roti (is to Canada what Chicken Tikka Masala is to Britain: a sort of delicious adaptation of Indian cuisine)

MALT TOAST!! (is a super delicious thing, how do you people outside of Ontario not have it?)

Butter tarts (in very small doses: more than a couple of bites make me light headed)

Nanaimo bars (as above)

Not So Good Canadian Food:

Poutine of any sort (because what a horrible way to treat french fries! What did they ever do to you?)

Tim Horton's anything

Of course, the best thing about living anywhere reasonably cosmopolitan is the array of world cuisines available. I live in one of the most diverse cities in the world; there are literally more falafel and shawarma sandwich places in this city than there are McDonald's. Which is very good, because falafel is pretty much my favourite food in the world.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Yeah, just stop me from derailing! Just you try and stop me!
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

It’s still better than Dunkin Donuts....

God yes. Or Country Time.

And a kazillion times better than Crispy Creme

PET PEEVE:

Tim Horton's used to have not terrible donuts, when they were made fresh in each store, and not delivered frozen. AND THEN AMERICANS BOUGHT THE COMPANY!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm an infrequent poster but have found myself lurking more and more lately. Kudos to you all for managing to keep this thread going as long as it has. Sometimes some well paced derailment is JUST what's needed.

However my new pet peeve is......... not once in the Great Food Derailment of 2020 did even ONE of you mention spotted dick!

Edited by Neilina
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Neilina said:

I'm an infrequent poster but have found myself lurking more and more lately. Kudos to you all for managing to keep this thread going as long as it has. Sometimes some well paced derailment is JUST what's needed.

However my new pet peeve is......... not once in the Great Food Derailment of 2020 did even ONE of you mention spotted dick!

My immediate impulse was to respond with "I don't eat dick" but I have the feeling someone would take offense, report me for it and I'd never be heard from again.

But it would be worth it because that is freaking hilarious.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

My immediate impulse was to respond with "I don't eat dick" but I have the feeling someone would take offense, report me for it and I'd never be heard from again.

And if I ever spotted one, I'd keep it all to myself. 😁

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

PET PEEVE:

Tim Horton's used to have not terrible donuts, when they were made fresh in each store, and not delivered frozen. AND THEN AMERICANS BOUGHT THE COMPANY!

Bff whines about this All.Of.The.Damned.Time.:)

Will add to the peeving about Dunkin, but more for their coffee than the doughnuts. Where I live in New England, ffs, they think THAT is good coffee. YUCK. Bitter, nasty stuff, but the locals drink it with so much cream/milk and sugar as to render it coffee sweetened milk. :::shudder::: And they WORSHIP Dunkin here. I think in our tiny little area we have THREE! We don't have effing Chipotles, but we have THREE DD?

Oh. I think I was supposed to stop talking about food...

But but but... bad coffee. BAD coffee!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Peeve: Why can we now type dick (I remember ages ago that we couldn't) but we cannot type ana1 which is a perfectly legit word, along with v4gina.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.