What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

People who insist SL is a video game and not the creative platform it has been for 15 years. It's a creative platform with social capabilities that just happens to contain some games and has been used for game development. Get over yourself.

A lot of people in fact I would say most do not participate in the game elements available in sl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

People who insist that SL is a social media and not a game. Sorry, but this just stinks of pretentiousness. It's a video game. Get over it. But why is rhat a bad thing?

While I wouldn't call it social media, I also wouldn't call it a game.

If it is a game, what is my goal, my objective?  How do I win?

• Like 4

From Rhonda Huntress in answer to whether or not SL is a game:

"I have found that underneath it is a game.

It is an inventory management game where you sort and categorize items with increasing complexity while creators strive to develop new items that defy conventional categories.  Soft caps are there to force you to weed out duplicate and superfluous items or risk crashing, being turned into a cloud or worse yet, loosing large portions of your inventory.  Everyone has to play the game to some extent and the rest of the world is there to entice you to add more and more items to your inventory."

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

It is an inventory management game where you sort and categorize items with increasing complexity while creators strive to develop new items that defy conventional categories.  Soft caps are there to force you to weed out duplicate and superfluous items or risk crashing, being turned into a cloud or worse yet, loosing large portions of your inventory.  Everyone has to play the game to some extent and the rest of the world is there to entice you to add more and more items to your inventory."

651294762_InventoryControl.thumb.png.9c5092a9187c74fe569f666b9f5adacd.png

Am I winning?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Must be why I have one account with under 30k and the others are all under 10k with one or two hovering around the 5 - 6k mark. :P

A few definitions of "game":

a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

a contest or sport played according to rules with the players in direct opposition to each other.

A game is an activity or sport usually involving skill, knowledge, or chance, in which you follow fixed rules and try to win against an opponent or to solve a puzzle

a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

Looks to me like SL does not meet any of those definitions.

While SL does have "rules" in the form of the ToS and Community Guidelines, they are not game rules. Post a link to these SL game rules I've never heard of in the 14 years I've been a resident. This one: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Second_Life_Skill_Gaming_Policy doesn't count as those are all rules for playing games within SL, not SL itself. Those rules apply to gambling within SL.

• Like 1

I don't know exactly what SL is, but it sure doesn't feel like a game.  When I can have a sister of over 12 years, and decade long friends, or a boyfriend, or partner, or husband in SL and feel a closeness with him, when these relationships matter for what they are, "game" seems like the wrong word to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Donna Underall said:

I don't know exactly what SL is, but it sure doesn't feel like a game.  When I can have a sister of over 12 years, and decade long friends, or a boyfriend, or partner, or husband in SL and feel a closeness with him, when these relationships matter for what they are, "game" seems like the wrong word to me.

Oh, I like this! It may be the best answer to "SL is a game" I've seen! The other stuff seems like playing with semantics, or employs too strict a comparison with conventional video games.

I do think that SL is, or at least can be (maybe should be) "ludic," which I'd define loosely as "playful." Something that is ludic isn't necessarily "unserious," but rather is about experimentation, or undirected playfulness. It is, in other words, creative. And that doesn't exclude the sorts of features Donna (whose point I am probably going to steal shamelessly) describes at all.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Donna Underall said:

While I don't think that it suits SL to be descripted as a game (because that carries some general expectations with it, that SL does not fullfill), I wouldn't say its because of the relationships. You can forge long time relationships anywhere. I've met my first boyfriend and later my best friend in a game.

2 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Games don't have to have win scenerios, NPCs, or quests. Thinking they have to shows a limited understanding of what a game is.

Apparently I'm dense -- name a game that does not have some sort of stated objective, where you are not trying to accomplish some goal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

A few definitions of "game":

a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

a contest or sport played according to rules with the players in direct opposition to each other.

A game is an activity or sport usually involving skill, knowledge, or chance, in which you follow fixed rules and try to win against an opponent or to solve a puzzle

a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

Looks to me like SL does not meet any of those definitions.

By these definitions, Minecraft is not a game.

While I do still think SL is a game, I do think it's obvious to all that it falls into the grey area between conventional video games and a chat program such as Skype. When you can come up with a reasonable (even if not perfect) justification for either classification... it kinda gets into "does it really make a difference?" territory.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
3 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Games don't have to have win scenerios, NPCs, or quests. Thinking they have to shows a limited understanding of what a game is.

Apparently I'm dense -- name a game that does not have some sort of stated objective, where you are not trying to accomplish some goal. 

I truly hesitate to leap into this old debate, but I can't help feeling that if SL is a game, it's most like 43-Man-Squamish, which has such arcane rules that each event is a free-for-all.  

Image result for 43 man squamish

Some of us are playing to accumulate the best wardrobe.  Some are trying to create the most attractive home.  Some want to play one-upmanship with lavish vehicles.  Some want to establish mini-empires where they have roles in world-dominance.  Some want to see how far they can explore sexual fantasies.  SL allows all of these and many more in a loosely-shaped game of imagination where we each play by our own rules and have different ideas about what constitutes success.  If that's not 43 Man Squamish, I don't know what it is.  😊

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Donna Underall said:

Game seems like the wrong word to me as well, but I don't really care how others describe SL. I imagine there are gamers who've developed lasting MMORPG relationships. It happens in tennis, chess, and auto racing as well. Each space has its own attractions, but the moment you bring people together in virtually any endeavor, the potential for relationships develops.

There are people here who call SL a game, yet behave exactly like those of us who don't. And there are people here who don't call SL a game, yet treat other residents as if they were game pieces, with some goal of "winning". You've seen those people in RL as well. MMORPGs may be more structured than SL, but structure has never limited creative people, has it?

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I do think that SL is, or at least can be (maybe should be) "ludic," which I'd define loosely as "playful." Something that is ludic isn't necessarily "unserious," but rather is about experimentation, or undirected playfulness. It is, in other words, creative. And that doesn't exclude the sorts of features Donna (whose point I am probably going to steal shamelessly) describes at all.

I think everything should be playful!

Aren't games designed for play? I certainly played them with friends in my youth, though with ready access to sand in summer, snow in winter, and tools year-round, a lot of my play (with friends!) involved physical creation. When I went outside to play, I never distinguished between tennis and sandcastling, or chess and snowball fighting. I can create and interact fairly deeply with others in any of those environments.

As I said my good-byes to colleagues at my last client before retiring, one of them thanked me for showing him just how much fun engineering could be. That remains, to this day, the greatest professional compliment I've ever received.

Life is play, during which I learn how to do things, and to be someone.

Oooh, how serendipitous, I just found this... https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/health/oldest-esports-team-gaming-longevity-intl/index.html

Here's a quote from the article...
"We want to win, so we have to train a lot," said team member Inger Grotteblad, 66, nicknamed "Trigger Finger." But she doesn't mind. "The team is so close to each other. We know each other very well."

See!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
18 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Some want to establish mini-empires where they have roles in world-dominance.

Yes, THIS!!!

(And I would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids!)

C'mon Scylla, use your imagination. I've been dominating the world since childhood. Since I'm the only one I need to convince, it's easy.

• Haha 3

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've been dominating the world since childhood. Since I'm the only one I need to convince, it's easy.

It's all a matter of defining the size of your world.  "Your world: Your Imagination," to coin a phrase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

C'mon Scylla, use your imagination. I've been dominating the world since childhood. Since I'm the only one I need to convince, it's easy.

Well, this is true.

It's how I'm able to sustain the illusion that I'm Daphne (rather than Velma, which is really a more accurate role).

C'mon world, ADORE MY HAIR. And save me from that guy wearing the pumpkin head costume.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.