What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is what I know as Butter Beans:

xIEvi4va5UieHN3mccscXvEBCmrG6AWZiOLm5yCdkAzCgc5_DXW1XB11AIdZAL_eXazN0sZZD2G3_MoqGugcplXj5ibZYLWbIfdiMOa9w-XCbPUC9knf02s9_VJW

And this is what I know as Lima Beans:

image.png.8846de08832f045626dff607c468798d.png

Though googling does imply that they are the same bean.

hmmm come to think of it the "butter beans" look like a bean I use in chili (I use 4 different beans, chili is only made in huge quantities in the Ugajin household).  Perhaps it is the same bean, but picked at different times - sort of like with grapes for wine. 

Of course, in my chili, all you can really taste is the pain of your mouth being on fire...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

hmmm come to think of it the "butter beans" look like a bean I use in chili (I use 4 different beans, chili is only made in huge quantities in the Ugajin household).  Perhaps it is the same bean, but picked at different times - sort of like with grapes for wine. 

Of course, in my chili, all you can really taste is the pain of your mouth being on fire...

Oh you guys and your need to be all manly with your uber hot food - but what about the ten times hotter it exits your backside the following day!!! Masochist!

I remember when I was married, making an extra hot chilli con carne for myself and my then hot stuff husband. Far too hot for me, too hot for hubby, most of it went in the bin. Later we found the bin tipped up, contents all over the floor, including most of the chilli, which had been too hot even for the dog!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Hmmmm. I might, perhaps been reminded of a pet peeve here: beans of any ilk in chili! Chili is as some god in the SW intended: meat in sauce. Everything else (beans, onions, cheese...) is garnish. I also lived in Cincinnati for a while. While I like Cincinnati chili (at least some of it), to call the Macedonian meat sauce over spaghetti "chili" is an abomination to all that is chili holy. :)  Of course *I* make The Best chili, using 2-3 kinds of meat,  several kinds of whole dried chili pods that are roasted then soaked, then scraped, then... it's a real p.i.t.a. so I make vats of it because it freezes. 

• Like 2

I'm not a connoisseur of chili, but the best I can remember having was in a CookOff at the Johnson Space Center in Houston sometime in the 1980s.  It wasn't very spicy at all, but the chef had added a cup of bourbon to the pot.  That was one fine meal.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm not a connoisseur of chili, but the best I can remember having was in a CookOff at the Johnson Space Center in Houston sometime in the 1980s.  It wasn't very spicy at all, but the chef had added a cup of bourbon to the pot.  That was one fine meal.

My brother always cooked the finest chilli with a dollop of cocoa powder and a good slug of a rich red wine. Mmmmmmarvellous ! 

Just now, Beth Macbain said:

I usually put beer in mine. 

And beans, because beans are delicious in chili, @Seicher Rae

Yeah, mine has beer in it too, when all the chili pods are simmering. Beans are an acceptable garnish to chili, @Beth Macbain. With the addition of chocolate one is getting close to a mole sauce, but I will allow it. :)

FOOD FIGHT! (And the appropriate Tay Tay gif!)

TS KP food fight.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Hmmmm. I might, perhaps been reminded of a pet peeve here: beans of any ilk in chili! Chili is as some god in the SW intended: meat in sauce. Everything else (beans, onions, cheese...) is garnish. I also lived in Cincinnati for a while. While I like Cincinnati chili (at least some of it), to call the Macedonian meat sauce over spaghetti "chili" is an abomination to all that is chili holy. :)  Of course *I* make The Best chili, using 2-3 kinds of meat,  several kinds of whole dried chili pods that are roasted then soaked, then scraped, then... it's a real p.i.t.a. so I make vats of it because it freezes. 

Isn’t Cincinnati chili made with cinnamon?

617E3289-506A-4B82-8CD0-9FAFCB57B8D2.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janetosilio said:

Isn’t Cincinnati chili made with cinnamon?

617E3289-506A-4B82-8CD0-9FAFCB57B8D2.gif

Yup. And it really was invented by Greek (Macedonian) immigrants to Cincinnati, and other than having meat in a sauce, it has nothing to do with chili. :) It is pretty good, well... if you're in the mood. And I preferred mine on the hotdogs than over the spaghetti. Here's a link to those who have never heard of this stuff (it is regionally HUGE), and a recipe that looks fairly spot-on. https://www.thechunkychef.com/copycat-skyline-cincinnati-chili/

• Like 1

I'm being all about the sharing of knowledge today! :) Here's another link, a pretty great article about why people fuss about chili, and the different types. I make what this article refers to as Texas Red chili... which is definitely no beans cooked with the meat. However, the picture and the article also mention the beloved garnishes. When I make chili, it is accompanied by bowls of various things: chopped fresh tomato, chopped onions--both white and green, chopped avocado, shredded cheese, at least one kind of bean, sour cream, cilantro (yuck yuck yuck), tortilla chips, soft tortillas, white rice... Gah, now I'm hungry. And there ain't NUTHIN' boring about that food table.  This is what someone else's Texas Red looks like, and mine looks similar https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/02/guide-to-chili-styles-types-of-chili-recipes.html

PS. This is a nice change of pace from the normal food fight of "which pizza is best" :)

20150117-game-day-chili-recipes-roundup-03.jpg

Edited by Seicher Rae
correct erroneous link
  • Like 5

On the subject of chili and pet peeves (okay, not really but sort of)...

I can't say this to anyone in my family so I'm saying it here. Every year, my brother and sister-in-all throw a big chili dinner thingie at their house. My sister-in-law, and I do so love her dearly, absolutely refuses to let anyone else bring anything. She makes the chili, and a few other crockpots full of different soups, and she is so proud of it.

Y'all, her chili is an abomination. I mean it's really just the freaking worst. It has no flavor and it's soupy. Chili should not be soupy. It's like... bean water with beef. And it's freaking atrocious. 

There. Got that off my chest. If I said that to anyone in the family I'm fairly certain I'd be kicked out of the family. It's not so much that everyone else loves the bean water - it's that she goes to so much effort to bring all the family together at least once a year and we wouldn't dream of hurting her feelings. 

But her chili is gross.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 3/27/2020 at 11:02 AM, Marigold Devin said:

Oh you guys and your need to be all manly with your uber hot food - but what about the ten times hotter it exits your backside the following day!!! Masochist!

I remember when I was married, making an extra hot chilli con carne for myself and my then hot stuff husband. Far too hot for me, too hot for hubby, most of it went in the bin. Later we found the bin tipped up, contents all over the floor, including most of the chilli, which had been too hot even for the dog!

"Honey, it's cold in here." "Let me light the dog's bum since he hate that hot chili last night!" 🤣

• Haha 1

I'm not fussy about chili, but I do know a good chili joke, or mabye it's a shaggy dog story

Notes from an inexperienced Chili taster named Frank, who was visiting Texas from the East Coast:

Recently I was honoured to be selected as an outstanding famous celebrity in Texas, to be a judge at a Chili cook-off, because no one else wanted to do it. Also the original person called in sick at the last moment, and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the beer wagon when the call came. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides, they told me that I could have free beer during the tasting. So I accepted.

Here are the scorecards from the event:

CHILI # 1: MIKE'S MANIC MONSTER CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A little to heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.

JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavour. Very mild.

FRANK: Holy *****, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway with this stuff. I needed two beers to put the flames out. Hope that's the worst one. Those Texans are crazy.

CHILI # 2: ARTHUR'S AFTERBURNER CHILI

JUDGE ONE: Smokey, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.

JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavour. Needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

FRANK: Keep this out of reach of children! I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave of two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich manoeuvre. They had to walkie-talkie in three extra beers when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3: FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI

JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more beans.

JUDGE TWO: A beanless chili. A bit salty. Good use of red peppers.

FRANK: Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting *****-faced.

CHILI # 4: BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC

JUDGE ONE: Black Bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

JUDGE TWO: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods. Not much of a chili.

FRANK: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills; that 300 lb ***** is starting to look HOT, just like this nuclear-waste I'm eating.

CHILI # 5: LINDA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER

JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef; could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

FRANK: My ears are ringing, and I can no linger focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly from a pitcher onto it. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Freakin' Rednecks! ! !

CHILI # 6: VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY

JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spice and peppers.

JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions and garlic.

FRANK: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames.
No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that ***** Sally. I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone!

CHILI # 7: SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum. Tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment.
I should note that I am worried about Judge # 3.

FRANK: You could put a #)$^@#*&! Grenade in my mouth, pull the #)$^@#*&! pin, and I wouldn't feel a damn thing.
 I've lost the sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili,
 which slid unnoticed out of my X*$(@#^&$ mouth. My pants are full of lava-like *****, to match my X*$(@#^&$ shirt.
 At least the during the autopsy they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful.
I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the four inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8: HELEN'S MOUNT SAINT CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A perfect ending. This is a nice blend chili, safe for all; not too bold, but spicy enough to declare its existence.

JUDGE TWO: This final entry is a good balanced chili, neither mild now hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when
Judge # 3 passed out, fell and pulled the chili pot on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor Yank.

FRANK: - - - - - Mama?- - - (Editor's Note: Judge # 3 was unable to report).

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/27/2020 at 3:11 PM, Beth Macbain said:

On the subject of chili and pet peeves (okay, not really but sort of)...

I can't say this to anyone in my family so I'm saying it here. Every year, my brother and sister-in-all throw a big chili dinner thingie at their house. My sister-in-law, and I do so love her dearly, absolutely refuses to let anyone else bring anything. She makes the chili, and a few other crockpots full of different soups, and she is so proud of it.

Y'all, her chili is an abomination. I mean it's really just the freaking worst. It has no flavor and it's soupy. Chili should not be soupy. It's like... bean water with beef. And it's freaking atrocious. 

There. Got that off my chest. If I said that to anyone in the family I'm fairly certain I'd be kicked out of the family. It's not so much that everyone else loves the bean water - it's that she goes to so much effort to bring all the family together at least once a year and we wouldn't dream of hurting her feelings. 

But her chili is gross.

No need to say a thing.  Just start sending your sister in law chili recipes.  After she gets three or four of them, she will probably take the hint.  (Even better:  get ALL the guests at her dinners to send her a few recipes.)

• Like 1

I'm reminded of camping out on our family acreage in northern Wisconsin with college friends one summer. I made chili the first night, cooking it over the campfire in a cast iron pot. The others, all city kids, thought that was pretty neat. Before starting, I asked everyone whether they wanted it mild or hot. Maybe it was the way I said those two words, the vote was unanimously "hot". So, off I went.

There was a lot of crying at dinner, and they burned through half of our three day supply of liquids in two hours. It wasn't until 4AM that the full realization of our mismatched understanding of "hot" arrived. I can still hear the clenched teeth hissing and moaning from my friends as they each crawled off into the nearby woods to fill the little latrines we'd dug earlier in the day.

One of them described the feeling as if he was inhaling through his ass after sucking on an Altoid with it.

I'd never heard of Altoids before. They're now my favorite mint.

• Haha 6

Here's a pet peeve that just happened and that annoyed me no end: when I'm working in Catwa support group chat and someone comes in with a question. I start to help (as do a few others, publicly, in the chat) and suddenly the person being helped stops responding to us, going completely quiet. A while later, they come back to tell us that they've "had help and someone told them to do XYZ".

Look, if you KNOW the answer to an unusual query before the rest of us have had a chance to finish asking the questions that will ascertain exactly what the issue is (because - in this case - the eventual issue was not what was originally asked about) then give it publicly in the chat so that everyone can benefit from it. Or let us know that you're taking that person into IM to help them, so the rest of us can leave you to it. It's especially annoying when the one who takes the questioner into IM isn't even active in chat, but is just lurking. Please, don't do that. At best it's discourteous; at worst it's downright bloody rude.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 4

Obviously idiot spammers come high on my list but here's something I haven't heard before...….

Here's one Salty Newell got earlier today at the beach. My technical question is at the end...…….

This was the best doomed to fail chat up line I've had so far.

[05:06] (guy): you have already a great set of flickrposts :) love the rain shots kinda

[05:07] (belindasalt): Oh thankyou so much!!

[05:07] (guy): oh you are welcome

[05:08] (belindasalt): I enjoy taking pics in SL

[05:08] (guy): cool there are tons of possibilites ... i prefer rl rather than sl

[05:08] (guy): his flickr link inserted

[05:10] (belindasalt): Ah I see!

[05:10] (guy): something interesting lol why is you vaw inner ***** so big? copied "Print screen" link

[05:11] (guy): the big red attachment o.O

[05:11] (belindasalt): No idea

[05:12] (guy): oh just wondered ... all good sorry

[05:13] (guy): your body is stunning *barely can keep conscious" lol

[07:59] (guy): (Saved Tue Mar 31 13:15:26 2020)well have a wonderful day

My question is this: He sent me a screen shot which was of my pelvis, which was surrounded by a large pinky/red translucent sphere. Like a giant beach ball. What was he looking at to see this, and what does it represent?

Something to do with scripts maybe?

• Haha 1

Belinda, look at yourself (while wearing the stuff you were wearing during this exchange) with transparent textures turned on.  The toggle for that is CTRL+ALT+T.

If you were wearing, for example, an Xcite genital attachment, it includes a transparent sphere.  This is what reacts when a partner touches you in that region.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.