What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just thought of another one. When a guy ims you and says something like this "You're hot. But you would look better if you weren't covered in tattoos and/or you wore a longer hair" Yeah because I TOTALLY asked for your unsolicited opinion on how a woman should look while I was store hopping. Come back to me when you have a Jason Mamoa looking avi and we'll talk! 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 13 December 2018 at 11:55 PM, LilithServil said:

People who either don't read my profile and picks before talking to me or conveniently only read what they want to see. I can't tell you the amount of times I've had overly muscled male avatars trying to flirt when I clearly state that I'm taken (and not into men anyway). It's worse when they disguise it as casual conversation first and then totally ditch once I catch on and turn the advances down.

Actually, many of them DO read your profile, it's just that...

• They don't understand big words like "lesbian", too many letters for them (Gore-Bore-eans)...
  • They DO understand the words, but just don't care because OBVIOUSLY, you are only a lesbian because you haven't met the right guy, which is them, OBVIOUSLY (did one course module of amateur psycho;logy as part of their liberal arts combined degree in Philosophailure & Macrame)...
  • The Do understand the words, and understand it's not because you dated the wrong guys in the past, or anything like that, but, they see lesbianism as an "illness" that can be CURED by the MIRACLE of Man-Sausage! They won't even charge you for the treatment (online-only alpha-male wannabes)...
  • Or last and by all means least, they read your profile, and hope that if you fall for their smarmy chatup disguised as casual friendly conversation, then you'll invite your girlfriend(s) over to join in a 3-some, 4-some or more-some...

Edited by Klytyna
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

If you do a search of Forum Netiquette you will find a lot of different ones, since most forums have them, but all share the same basic principles, and the same goal: show respect for other readers by making your posts clear and polite, posting in the right forums, etc.That means using the conventions of written language, using a relevant thread title, and omitting insults to prospective readers, esp when requesting help, among many other things.

A forum in which there are no rules, or like this one in which so many people ignore them, and there is no resident moderator to enforce them, creates frustration and aggravation. Therefore it is up to those who use the forum to articulate the Netiquette as well as SL specific rules for those who clearly are unaware. And often they do not like that. But most learn from the experience. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

pet peeves.

1. People who use second life as if it's some kind of dating /instant hook up site.[ Tinder, back page, etc]

2. Nosey people who are SO H.E. double hockey sticks BENT on knowing your real life. When they probably don't even got their own stuff together. Because if they did they wouldn't care about yours.

3. Sim stalkers[ Follow you some sim to sim]

4. Residents with a boatload of alts[ alternative accounts] who use them for nefarious motives

5. Dysfunctional SL families. 

5.  Retro avatars [ flexi prim, bling, box shoes, textured outfits. Minus the mesh]

6. Tyrant sim owners/admins [ And their "Yes man" moderators]

7.  Content creators who give out crappy VIP group gifts. 

Edited by Minx Kurosawa
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

How do they do that???

You don't know how anyone can do that online? O.o really?

They would do it the same way any stalker would do online.  Don't think because it's second life they don't do that on here.

Stalkers are everywhere online.

Edited by Minx Kurosawa
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

Trace someone from sim to sim? Without RLV or something else that gives you perms to know where they are?

No, I don't. Unless it's just to an adjoining sim, in which case you could use the mini-map.

So . . . how do they do it?

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Trace someone from sim to sim? Without RLV or something else that gives you perms to know where they are?

No, I don't. Unless it's just to an adjoining sim, in which case you could use the mini-map.

So . . . how do they do it?

-facepalm- it's a lot more than that. Sim to sim is just a mild example. 

3 minutes ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

-facepalm- it's a lot more than that. Sim to sim is just a mild example. 

This is not a very informative response, Minx.

Doubtless some really obvious way of tracing someone across many sims that I'm missing here -- and to be clear, we're talking about someone who doesn't necessarily want to be followed or "stalked"? -- but I certainly don't know about it. And if it's an actual thing, I'd like to know about it, because it's a potential tool for harassment.

Can you elaborate for me?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is not a very informative response, Minx.

Doubtless some really obvious way of tracing someone across many sims that I'm missing here -- and to be clear, we're talking about someone who doesn't necessarily want to be followed or "stalked"? -- but I certainly don't know about it. And if it's an actual thing, I'd like to know about it, because it's a potential tool for harassment.

Can you elaborate for me?

Because we get a regular stream of people here asking how to stop someone from stalking them from place to place, without them wearing anything to enable it or providing any info,  and we have yet to figure out how it is done. 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

They would do it the same way any stalker would do online.  Don't think because it's second life they don't do that on here.

Stalkers are everywhere online.

I think they're asking how they are following someone from sim to sim? How do they know where they are? I know if you have said someone on their friends list you can enable something that can let them locate you on the map, but how exactly can you do that without some sort of hud???

Edited by IvyLarae
Found a typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Because we get a regular stream of people here asking how to stop someone from stalking them from place to place, without them wearing anything to enable it or providing any info,  and we have yet to figure out how it is done. 

Yes, this. Exactly.

4 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

I think they're asking how they are following someone from sim to sim? How do they know where they are? I know if you have said someone on their friends list you can enable something that can let them locate you on the map, but how exactly can you do that without some sort of hud???

Yes, I have a few friends whose names appear as differently coloured links on my dashboard -- and I think that means I can TP to them just by clicking on that. And, I'm presuming that RLV (the mechanics of which are mostly a mystery to me, tbh) permits something like that too. But in either case, that's not really "stalking": you've deliberately left breadcrumbs to follow.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Minx Kurosawa said:

I don't know what this means.

Online stalkers have a variety of tools, and potential access to kinds of information, that aren't available in SL. So, it's most unlikely to be "the same way."

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, I have a few friends whose names appear as differently coloured links on my dashboard -- and I think that means I can TP to them just by clicking on that. And, I'm presuming that RLV (the mechanics of which are mostly a mystery to me, tbh) permits something like that too. But in either case, that's not really "stalking": you've deliberately left breadcrumbs to follow.

I know of only one thing that could possibly be used for ill intent. It's called the SIN tracker, it's primarily used to find people to role play with, but depending on how you have it set up, people can see and tp to where you're at

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't know what this means.

Online stalkers have a variety of tools, and potential access to kinds of information, that aren't available in SL. So, it's most unlikely to be "the same way."

Odds are this person doesn't know of any ways this can be done, other wise they would list some instead of going around in circles like they are

• Like 4

IN events, when I see a nice vendor, it shows good looking female avatar, nothing else on the photo, no letters, and I have no idea what they are trying to sell.... the name says something like.... The bitter agony (name of the brand) "perplexed move" (name of the item they sell) 😶 and it comes in colors peach rose, lizzard, nude, pearl... and other names. Demo is packed in a box so I am supposed to buy the demo, teleport home, unpack, try the item to see what it is and then go back if I would like to buy it... never happened! 

People who write messages in their profiles and social networks, like.. "ohh I know you and your games you mess with me one more time and you're dead!" Yeah, imagine how much dead this really means if they don't have the courage to tell it straight to someone's face lol

People who use every opportunity to tell you how they know someone who is important/popular in SL. 

And more... 

Edited by Tamara Artis
Typos
  • Like 3

My biggest pet peeve right now is when a merchant makes what can only be considered a mistake on their product* and that mistake is something that I could easily correct myself, but they've also made the item no-mod. If it's that important to "protect your vision" go for it, but please make sure that you've got all your ducks in a row first.

*Examples - a random face set to full-bright for no reason, using a texture with an alpha channel for an opaque surface so you end up with needless alpha-sorting/show through issues, etc.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.