What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here's just a few:

• Firestorm choking when I'm in a non-Tiny crowd to the point where I have to set rendering to 'friends only' in crowded shopping events just so that I can function (and so that the viewer would render the vendors instead of some tiny piece of jewelry some lady halfway across the sim is wearing).
  • The fun little GTFO minigame: Seeing how much of me flies off when I take off the HUD.
  • The constant terror of being accused of being a child avatar whenever I'm wearing a default head kemono.
  • Having to buy a Maitreya in order to wear clothes at all.
  • The scarcity of male clothes for mainstream male bodies that aren't Modern Casual (or as some put it: What your Dad thinks is cool.)
  • Firestorm taking a few minutes to boot up when the texture cache is big enough.
  • The explosion of Gatcha rezable objects (as in will get lost in a server hiccup).
  • Events on top of events, with a side dish of events (and you wonder why a lot of creators are plundering Turbosquid these days?)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

I mean, you can do what you want in regards to this topic, to me ( I am only speaking for myself here, I don't claim to speak for anyone else) though its kind of spiteful and counter productive to try to derail a topic when you can create one of your own. I'm not trying to sound rude I just don't really see a point or reason to go on a specific topic and try to change it

If you look at my post again, you'll see that it is  actually a list of my pet peeves, but cunningly (albeit too cunningly for some people) disguised as a list of things I like by the use of negations.

Edited by KT Kingsley
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

people who IM you to say:

[13:54:18] RedactedName: man SL is so boring

hoping to be entertained.

1 hour ago, Magnek Fang said:

The constant terror of being accused of being a child avatar whenever I'm wearing a default head kemono.

I hate that. Even at 1,82metres one is still accused of being a child by the 3 meter people

"No sir, I am not a child, I just choose not to look like a bad Tom of Finland drawing in a hairy aesthetic body"

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My biggest one is the relative scale of male and female avatars. Why are they different? I’ve gotten into many arguments with guys calling me short when my avatar is 185 cm. His can be 185 cm too, yet he’s a full head taller.

Lately it’s been mostly things related to shopping:

TP’ing to an event and landing on someone who...will...not....move.

Vendors that don’t say which body the item is for. Then the demo is in a box you have to unpack to get it’s contents.

Group join fees for groups that don’t even have group gifts.

Boxes that spam you with group stuff and subscription stuff but has no unpacking script

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I know the difference honest!  But my fingers don't.  They are always anticipating what I'm trying to type and getting it wrong. They also like to race each other to the end of the word and mix up the order of the letters accordingly.

You, too? Are you, by any chance, left handed? :D

Ahh man I have a few, some more petty than others.

• Gesture spam. I don't mind gestures for the most part, but the really loud ones with high pitched voices that are usually accompanied by 5 giant lines of "fancy" symbols in the chat... Ugh. Especially when they get used multiple times in a single minute.
  • People who either don't read my profile and picks before talking to me or conveniently only read what they want to see. I can't tell you the amount of times I've had overly muscled male avatars trying to flirt when I clearly state that I'm taken (and not into men anyway). It's worse when they disguise it as casual conversation first and then totally ditch once I catch on and turn the advances down.
  • The total lack of clothes for my preferred bodies. I wear nonhuman meshes most of the time (snokra and thicc fox are favs) and there's such an abysmal selection for them. The clothes for them that I do like are made by the same creator, so all of my outfits look the exact same no matter which mesh I choose to wear, it's such a bummer.
  • Places that don't state that they have a dress code in their info. Being shy and wanting to avoid conflict as it is, having those awkward run-ins where you get yelled at for being nonhuman when it's not stated in the description makes me not want to go out at all.
  • Similarly, places that actually cater to my preferred style/interests are usually full of sexual nonsense, and the M or G rated areas are empty. It makes it so hard to socialize...
  • And worse yet, when you go somewhere that's well populated and everyone's just afk-dancing so there's no one to speak to. When there are active people, they act super cliquey and standoffish.
  • Buying an item only to have to open 2+ boxes before you can use it. I don't mind a single box, but I've run into creators that decide to put every single variation/color in separate boxes aside from the initial unpack.
  • Avatars with unnaturally giant and detailed muscles or boobs bigger than their heads. Not as egregious as everything else, but creepy overly vein-y muscles or boobs that look like they're about to pop gross me out.
  • AOs that have idles that wander 20ft from where your avatar actually is. It's such a shame when the animations themselves actually look really nice, because they're so overly fidgety and awkward to use in public due to running through crowds of people.

Edit: I forgot the worst one.

• Getting chased out of a sim or made to change shapes because people mistake my avatar for a child. Apparently using my actual height (5ft) and not having giant breasts means I'm a child in the eyes of everyone else on SL.
Edited by LilithServil
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

My biggest one is the relative scale of male and female avatars. Why are they different? I’ve gotten into many arguments with guys calling me short when my avatar is 185 cm. His can be 185 cm too, yet he’s a full head taller.

What comes to my mind from that is that you use the height what Firestorm tells. The guys might use Linden Lab viewer. There is big difference what the viewers tell about height (around 20 cm.) So the guy which is 185 cm in Linden lab viewer is actually around 205 cm in Firestorm viewer.

Firestorm viewer is closer to the real height of the avatar. Linden Lab viewer is way off. The only accurate way to measure avatar height is with prim. Stand on a pose stand, without shoes, flat feet, no shoe base on, hover height at zero, arms down, feet together or close to each other, hair off.

Rez a prim, make it semi transparent, move it on your avatar. Then stretch the lower face of the prim so that just slightly touches the soles of the feet. Stretch the upper face of the prim so that it just slightly touches the top of the skull. Now read the height of the prim in the build window. That is the most accurate real height of the avatar.

There is no other way to find out the real accurate height of an avatar. Viewers tell different things, scripted measuring devices tell different things.
The problem is in the fact that Linden Lab viewer tells accurately avatar's agent height. A script can tell avatar agent height too. The agent height is about 20 cm shorter than the avatar body is. Some viewers and scripted devices use the agent height as a base measurement and then add a correction factor or a multiplier to get closer to the real height. But they will never get the height exactly right because avatar heights and body proportions vary greatly. And those affect how much the real body height differs from the avatar agent height. Even now Linden Lab haven't found a way to tell the avatar body height in their viewer. The viewer just says "Height" and that height is the agent height, not the body height. Naturally everybody, without better knowledge, assume that it is avatar's height. And it's not. And this why there is confusion about avatar heights in SL.

(If I remember right there is even bug report in JIRA about this matter made long time ago. Nothing has happened.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2018 at 9:41 AM, Akasha Sternberg said:

- Drama

- know it alls

- people who drain your energy

- "filler" sounds and words - biggest one: "Whoo" - it hurts my ears, it´s loud and high and WHY?`There´s no bloody reason XD You can have fun (and even die - tell that to those shrieks in Horrorfilms xD) without screeching like a maniac xD

- gesturbating

- particles

- emitters on avatars

- bloodlines

- empty profiles

- trolls

- instagram, selfies and hashtags

- random "hi" IMs - or random IMs at all aiming to hit on you

- being hit on  cos:

- not reading my profile

- adult = sex stuff assumption (I want adult sims cos I can swear and stuffs xD)

I´m too lazy to continue XD This might not be complete xD

addition: self-centere, egocentric female reproductive organs who go all "well I´m glad I´m picky" when you try to be helpful in a freebie group with a lot of new people telling them to unpack their stuff rightaway or they´ll end up with 262 items to unpack after grabbing gifts from events and advent stuffs - you can´t see what´s inside those gifts until you unpack them ffs and there´s so much awesome stuff thrown at us for free... I want to be able to meet new stores, see the awesome work of designers who are so generous and maybe feature it in a way or another.... I throw out the stuff I don´t like or use, too - so collecting stuff at first doesn´t mean you´re not picky... ARGH! *original version in my head adds gazillions of swearwords and really nasty insults at her and puts her on my hate list forever xD  - why again am I trying to help anybody after all?

addon:

people whining about being called short  and pestering others with names like Giants cos we don´t shrink to our RL height THIS INSTANT and NAOW!!!!11!!!!1!1!! 
YES I AM taller than some people nowadays - WHY? - cos I adjusted my shape to the average male avatar height back then - to a realistic height difference. I DO have several versions of my shape but I feel best wearing this one. It is FAR from being giantly tall - you should see my runway shape...you´d drown in your tears damni, no matter how good a swimmer you´d consider yourself to be... - I used to call your height "walking male chicken sucker" - and that name was invented by someone at exactly that height compared to her hubby... I TRY my best to be polite and openminded but I swear this is SO annoying.... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Choi said:

I always get a good chuckle reading profile with "I'll die for my < master, mistress, name of lover, etc. etc >"  

I mean... this is pixel life, so are they going to delete their account?

On a tangent to that:

The “This is my bae (bestfriend, whatever)if you mess with them...you have to deal with meeeeee!” picks too.

Edited by janetosilio
  • Like 6

Avatars that play with animations on seats while you're on them. I was lying on a beach and, not for the first time, some wanna-be romeo thinks it's cool to join without a word. Then they're surprised when they're told, in no uncertain terms, their attentions are not wanted.  I could understand if it's new people doing it, I loved clicking things when I was new too, but more often than not, they're experienced avatars.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CharlotteStargazer said:

Avatars that play with animations on seats while you're on them. I was lying on a beach and, not for the first time, some wanna-be romeo thinks it's cool to join without a word. Then they're surprised when they're told, in no uncertain terms, their attentions are not wanted.  I could understand if it's new people doing it, I loved clicking things when I was new too, but more often than not, they're experienced avatars.

The first time I was jumped by a stranger I must day that I didn't  see it coming at all. Now I keep an eye on the radar to see who's lurking close by.

Oh and naked guys wandering around deserted sims.......that's just irritating.

I'm never gonna strike up a chat if you're naked. Or if I can't read your name or pronounce it. Just saying.

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Oh and naked guys wandering around deserted sims.......that's just irritating.

The naked girls wandering around regions are just as annoying, and just as common. Just the naked girls will hang around beaches, while the naked guys will hang around infohubs.

Worse are the naked girls who come into my club - clearly tagged as "Male avatars only please". They clearly think this doesn't include their oversized boobs.

• Like 2

There is one thing that used to mildly annoy me,  but it makes me laugh more than annoy, so, I got over myself real quick, lol.

My first name is *easy* to pronounce, but more than 90% of people seem to get it wrong in-world, lol. It's not exclusive to sl, as I've used the name for a very, very long time, it was part of a business name, and remains so. 

1 hour ago, Tari Landar said:

My first name is *easy* to pronounce, but more than 90% of people seem to get it wrong in-world, lol. 

Tah-ree?
Tar-ee?
Ta-ray?
Abcity?

https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/us-news/airline-staff-makes-fun-of-5-year-old-girls-name-abcde-airline-issues-apology-statement

Edited by Callum Meriman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.