What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

And this coming from a person who has a language that has the words read and read but one of them is pronounced "red".   Not to mention you have a town called Reading that if spoken is pronounced Redding.  How the heck am I supposed to know how to pronounce Reading if no one told me before hand?   We tried to make sense of your babble.  

Ooooh, Linguistic enclaves that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones . . .

(Don't get me started on American pronunciations of French words like "foyer" and "clique." ARRRRGHHHHHH!)

PS. It's so much FUN being Canadian! I can poke you both, and eat popcorn while the dust cloud rises!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ooooh, Linguistic enclaves that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones . . .

(Don't get me started on American pronunciations of French words like "foyer" and "clique." ARRRRGHHHHHH!)

PS. It's so much FUN being Canadian! I can poke you both, and eat popcorn while the dust cloud rises!

Well, I'm half French so don't put me in there.  

No, don't lock the thread because it has off topic stuff.  I was just kidding anyhow.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I lived in Missouri for a while, or Misery as I referred to it. (Waits to see how many people *that* offends.) There is a Versailles, MO. I was horrified, and I was still a teen, when I was told it was pronounced Ver-Sales. sigh

However...Canadian pronunciation, eh? Ya wanna go there? And what part of Canada? Newfoundland? My bff spent a lot of his life in the USA and has more of a neutral accent, but when he gets tired, drunk and/or has been around some hardcore Canadian accents, well. Hm. Been = bean. Oat n aboat = Out and about. And... there are lots of things. You guys don't get a free pass on weirdness, not by a long shot.

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Well, I'm half French so don't put me in there.  

No, don't lock the thread because it has off topic stuff.  I was just kidding anyhow.  

The English language is famously, gloriously, wonderfully, an absolute sh*tshow of a language, and has been ever since 1066, when those damned French-speaking Normans stuck their oar in. I actually love what a dynamic, energetic, on-going disaster English is: it's part of what makes it so rich and beautifully literary. And I love the diversity of it, actually -- how the language has been transformed in places as far away from each other as Auckland, Mumbai, Cape Town, Kingston, and Selma (assuming that it is English that they speak there?).

English is wonderful. Long may it continue to befuddle, confuse, and infuriate!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4

I watch a lot of tv shows that have American backing but are shot in Canada, like in Sea-couver. One of my favorite pastimes is to play "Guess the Canadian actor." The characters are supposedly from the USA (mustn't say "American" eh?), but there's usually some tell. Often something that sounds like "out" doesn't sound right. Off I go to Google, look up the actor, and 99% of time time "Whatshisface is an actor, born in Whosits, Canada..."

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

I lived in Missouri for a while, or Misery as I referred to it. (Waits to see how many people *that* offends.) There is a Versailles, MO. I was horrified, and I was still a teen, when I was told it was pronounced Ver-Sales. sigh

I'm sure L'Académie Française gave up on the Americans long ago. I remember my first visit to New Orleans (aka Nawlins), and how utterly mystified the locals were when I asked directions for places like "Chartres Street." Of course, I wouldn't for a moment want it to change.

7 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

However...Canadian pronunciation, eh? Ya wanna go there? And what part of Canada? Newfoundland? My bff spent a lot of his life in the USA and has more of a neutral accent, but when he gets tired and/or have been around some hardcore Canadian accents, well. Hm. Been = bean. Oat n aboat = Out and about. And... there are lots of things. You guys don't get a free pass on weirdness, not by a long shot.

Guilty as charged. Newfoundlanders in particular -- at least those with really deep accents -- are almost incomprehensible to everyone (including, I've always suspected, each other). Weirdness is good.

But please, PLEASE . . . don't pronounce "foyer" as "foy-errrrr" around me, or I may throw something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Whosits, Canada

I have relatives there. It's famous for its poutine and maple syrup.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
When speaking of the language, one should endeavour to employ it correctly, n'est-ce pas?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

English is wonderful. Long may it continue to befuddle, confuse, and infuriate!

Yes, I've heard Shakespeare and the great English poets attempt to be translated into other languages...it misses in my opinion.  Lost in translation for a play or a recital.  It's better imo to read great literature in it's native tongue or you can really miss out on something great.  

Plus, there is a French poet I love.  The English translations of his poems are considered a loss by the French to those who do not speak French and that the English translation is a failure.

And, even me as an American born and raised...I didn't know what a foy-ER was either.  It's in the foy-ER.   So, I said... "where is that"?    So, even me, as an American with American's, I'm lost sometimes.   Yes, I know it's pronounced foy-A, but foy-ER, I never heard it except a few times.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, to be clear . . .

You're taunting the Americans because they haven't yet managed to screw over quite so much of the globe, with quite the same incompetent aplomb as was managed by your lot?

Give 'em time!

Nah, not "taunting"..."fencing" is all. The fluff ball knows I like pulling the eagles feather's sometimes and she's just pulling the lions tail in return! Sorry...."adorable fluff ball" that should be! lol.
How much time do they need? Since 1945 they've spent trillions and trillions on having the most powerful Army, Air force and Navy (nobody counts the marines because if they were'nt in the military they'd just be knocking in fence posts with their heads for a living!). They could have conquered the world but instead they choose to sail their 19 city sized, very expensive aircraft carrier's for "muscle flexing", while their crews get beaten up in bars around the world wherever they tie up!  
Still, it's saved the rest of us a sh*t ton of cash by letting them play "world police", so all's well that ends well eh?  🙂

22 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

And this coming from a person who has a language that has the words read and read but one of them is pronounced "red".   Not to mention you have a town called Reading that if spoken is pronounced Redding.  How the heck am I supposed to know how to pronounce Reading if no one told me before hand?   We tried to make sense of your babble.  

Repeat after me Fairre..."Worcestershire....Leicestershire"!  Let's face it, American's just aren't good with pronunciations. Half your Cities and towns are named after British towns because you couldn't pronounce the original names ffs!  😉

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm sure L'Académie Française gave up on the Americans long ago. I remember my first visit to New Orleans (aka Nawlins), and how utterly mystified the locals were when I asked directions for places like "Chartres Street." Of course, I wouldn't for a moment want it to change.

Guilty as charged. Newfoundlanders in particular -- at least those with really deep accents -- are almost incomprehensible to everyone (including, I've always suspected, each other). Weirdness is good.

But please, PLEASE . . . don't pronounce "foyer" as "foy-errrrr" around me, or I may throw something.

My older sister, who was a whiz at languages, majored in French. Of course she was taught Parisian French. Then we went to Quebec so she could practice. Let's just say, LOL. She could read everything, but understand the natives? Nope. We were living in the hillbilly part of Virginia when it was time for her to do her student teaching, and she'd come home, bang her head into the wall, and mimic the students' French accents done with a southern drawl. Even I knew it was funny.

Apparently foy-ur IS the accepted American pronunciation via the dictionaries that I just checked. I learned it as foy-ay and that's how I still say it so I think I'm safe. Plus you probably throw like a girl.

I get most irritated by folks who think it is sherbert... they tend to be the one's with foy-urs? snobbity snob snobs :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

My older sister, who was a whiz at languages, majored in French. Of course she was taught Parisian French. Then we went to Quebec so she could practice. Let's just say, LOL. She could read everything, but understand the natives? Nope. We were living in the hillbilly part of Virginia when it was time for her to do her student teaching, and she'd come home, bang her head into the wall, and mimic the students' French accents done with a southern drawl. Even I knew it was funny.

I'm certain I've expounded on this before here, but yeah . . . Quebec French is its own thing. To Anglo-Canadians, even those with some facility in the language, it all seems to sound something like "bar-de-bar-de-bar bar." And it's spoken out of the side of the mouth. (The greatest living exemplar was former Canadian PM Jean Chretien). Ironically, in English Canada we are all taught le français de France. I'm not sure why.

8 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Plus you probably throw like a girl.

Is there really any other way?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Nah, not "taunting"..."fencing" is all. The fluff ball knows I like pulling the eagles feather's sometimes and she's just pulling the lions tail in return! Sorry...."adorable fluff ball" that should be! lol.
How much time do they need? Since 1945 they've spent trillions and trillions on having the most powerful Army, Air force and Navy (nobody counts the marines because if they were'nt in the military they'd just be knocking in fence posts with their heads for a living!). They could have conquered the world but instead they choose to sail their 19 city sized, very expensive aircraft carrier's for "muscle flexing", while their crews get beaten up in bars around the world wherever they tie up!  
Still, it's saved the rest of us a sh*t ton of cash by letting them play "world police", so all's well that ends well eh?  🙂

Repeat after me Fairre..."Worcestershire....Leicestershire"!  Let's face it, American's just aren't good with pronunciations. Half your Cities and towns are named after British towns because you couldn't pronounce the original names ffs!  😉

Yeah, but that's not me.  I even know the appropriate way to pronounce Lancaster.  But, Reading as Redding?  Seriously, Dano, that one's on you.  

Pet peeve: I always love how Mericans effe up French pronunciation. :P Like in that famous song 'Que sera, sera'. It's not pronounced 'K', k!? It's 'ke' (not e, as in the a of 'can', which is Spanish, but as in the 'e' in 'mermaid').

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Pet peeve: I always love how Mericans effe up French pronunciation. :P

So is effe up the correct Dutch-French spelling of eff up? Is the final e pronounced?

Edited by Gatogateau
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ironically, in English Canada we are all taught le français de France. I'm not sure why.

It's because you're ours and we love you and happen to be at peace with France now, so we don't really mind. However, those Frenchie Canucks, we don't like 'em and they should be ignored at all costs!

11 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

But, Reading as Redding?  Seriously, Dano, that one's on you.

Dunno. It just comes natural to me!  😁

Edit: Pet peeve - I dislike the French! (on topic).

Edited by Dano Seale
because reasons!
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

So is effe up the correct Dutch-French spelling of eff up? Is the final e pronounced?

LOL. No, that was just me trying yet another variation of 'F-up', to throw off forum censors.

'Effe' is actually Dutch slang used on forums. The closing E is not silent. It means, loosely translated, 'eventjes' ('even').

ETA: I realized, now you still don't know what it means. :) It means 'quickly', as in:

"Ik moet effe snel naar de winkel."

"I quickly need to run out to the store, for a moment."

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

I dunno if we should go there.  What's done is done in WWI and WWII.  We are becoming a globalized world now.  Things change as they change.  Plus, I'm not policing you.  I don't even know what you are doing over there?  I don't read much British news to be honest.  

8 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Dunno. It just comes natural to me!  😁

Oh, well, that explains everything then.  No, not really.    lol

Question though and asking for an honest answer.  Can you understand American's when you watch an American film?  My Mom put the closed captioning on for British TV shows or movies.  She said "I can't understand those blooming Brits"...so she would put the closed captioning on and read along.  This is a true story.  So, how do American's fair with spoken English for TV and movies in your honest opinion?  

Edited by FairreLilette

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Question though and asking for an honest answer.  Can you understand American's when you watch an American film?

We've been conditioned since the dawn of film & Television to it, it's only the last few years with the black Americans and their "ghetto/street" speak that tends to baffle the older Brit's these days. The Swedes and Dutch, along with many other Euro Nations after learning English tend to speak with strong or slight American accents due to learning most of it from film. tv and music.

1 minute ago, Dano Seale said:

We've been conditioned since the dawn of film & Television to it, it's only the last few years with the black Americans and their "ghetto/street" speak that tends to baffle the older Brit's these days. The Swedes and Dutch, along with many other Euro Nations after learning English tend to speak with strong or slight American accents due to learning most of it from film. tv and music.

Yes, there is a lot of varying dialects here in America.  We don't even understand each other all of the time.  Californian's don't seem to have much of a dialect, imo, though except for a few words such as Wim=bill-ton instead of Wim-bull-don and Winner for Winter.  Otherwise, California does not have a lot of dialects.  If one thinks of Valley Girls, those rarely exist here.  I don't speak anything like that and I grew up in the Valley.  Thus, I think Valley Girls are from Encino where Frank Zappa lived.   Frank Zappa is Moon Unit's father.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

However, those Frenchie Canucks, we don't like 'em and they should be ignored at all costs!

28 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

I dislike the French!

Dano, do I need to find someone with sharper claws than Gato?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Yes. Although we are taught Her Majesty's English in highschool, for the most part, British sound funny to me, nowadays. The preponderance of American English we're bombarded with every day causes it, I reckon. I can still understand British just fine, of course.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Dano, do I need to find someone with sharper claws than Gato?

Had a French/Canadian GF a while back. Ruined any kind of affection for them really. Sorry aboot that!  😔

• Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.