What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Wait. Wut? :::lower lip quivers::: You're saying that many of the real girls in SL are... no no no... MEN? I've been here for 11 years and you are just now letting me know this?

I'm so disillusioned.

:::mopes:::

Yep, and as Rolig says, the men can be women too. 

I know, I was also kind of surprised a few months ago to discover just how unprepared some people are for this inevitability.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Yep, and as Rolig says, the men can be women too. 

I know, I was also kind of surprised a few months ago to discover just how unprepared some people are for this inevitability.

I'm with a Mistress just now, and from our second encounter she told me she was a guy in RL, and introduced me to her guy alt. To me, it doesn't matter, I take people as they present here. She's a great looking avi. Only the chat sometimes gives it away. The key word for me is "babe". There are others.

• Like 3

I've had years-long friends tell me they were surprised to find out I'm amab[1], I've met other people who I've just met that have told me "it was obvious". By and large I haven't worried about it except when I went to do xxx stuff -then I kept myself to the "sh-----le" part of SL so I wouldn't feel like I was being dishonest or have conversations I didn't want to have.  

Speaking of slex, that leads right to one of my pet peeves: people who silently throw me around like a rag doll. If I wanted to play with NPCs, I'd be in opensim.

[1]assigned male at birth, or a gIRL(guy in real life) depending on how harshly you wish to put it.

Edited by Han Held
  • Like 4

Peeve: Lazy ass'd Americans/people who now don't want to be recognised as "male/female". In short - their obsession with acronyms! *

For years it's been like a little sniffley cold you get once a year, you know, the "lol"'s and the "roflmao"'s etc. I could deal with that, it's infected me in real life to a point where checking written letters and emails to "official" folk for spelling mistakes often throws up a couple of subconscious "lol"'s that slipped in there. However, it's now become a pandemic to rival Covid, if slightly less harmful!
I mean, I'm a "Brit'", I live in Sweden, I shouldn't have to memorize 50 US States f***ing acronyms in case I happen to ask someone where they live! If the American I'm chatting to happens to be in or is ex military, (which it seems more of them have been than attended high school!) it becomes like talking with the first alien visitor from Sirius B!

Yes, I know "it's an American game/simulation/forum so GTFO Boomer!" blah blah bollox, but they made them "International", so you have to deal with us and our International "peeves" too!  🙂

TL;DR - Stop being lazy c****!

* Those acronyms I don't know or haven't deciphered yet.
** Thanks to Han Held for the swift translation of "amab" (I knew the gIRL one already).
*** @BelindaN -  Just how old are you in RL anyhow?...The people have a right to know!  🕵️‍♂️

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

The disguise is a lot easier, too.

Is it?! I went to sim once, where women pretended to be men, belching, burping, being excessively loud, heavily drinking, etc. It was hilarious. 🤩 Those signs were rather obvious, of course. But what would make it easier for a women to truly pretend to be a man? (And I'm not counting the use of blatently obvious pickup lines like "I know this sounds ike a pickup line, but I really just want to get to know you as person." Or ostentatiously talking about sports). I think it would be kinda hard to pull off, actually.

But, as others have said as well, however ppl wish to present themselves in SL, congruent with how they're feeling on the inside, is all fine by me.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Yes, I know "it's an American game/simulation/forum so GTFO Boomer!" blah blah bollox, but they made them "International", so you have to deal with us and our International "peeves" too!  🙂

Ok boomer      :)

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

And, to paraphrase Freud, sometimes a cigar is not a cigar. :P Like in STO (a space MMO), you have space missions and ground stuff. They're called Task Force Operations. Guess what the acronym for the Ground TFO is?! 😍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I'm with a Mistress just now, and from our second encounter she told me she was a guy in RL, and introduced me to her guy alt. To me, it doesn't matter, I take people as they present here. She's a great looking avi. Only the chat sometimes gives it away. The key word for me is "babe". There are others.

(First day for me actually seeing ppl's sigs)

I suppose when ppl throw "middle aged Barbie" in your face, that's a clear tell too. 😜

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

(First day for me actually seeing ppl's sigs)

I suppose when ppl throw "middle aged Barbie" in your face, that's a clear tell too. 😜

I only got the middle aged Barbie insult once, out of the blue...............from an unknown who's profile admitted their avi was rubbish.

But I've adopted that tag because I like it!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

some real life women use that term too. its not just a male term.

Interesting....................  I've never heard a woman use Babe to another.............perhaps it's a localised thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BelindaN said:

Interesting....................  I've never heard a woman use Babe to another.............perhaps it's a localised thing.

depends upon sexual preference. babe. hun. babygirl. and a lot of so called male terms have been are and used by women too. there is not really any term that is male or female only in use.

• Like 1

Just now, BelindaN said:

Never heard it by a woman either Usually in a male context, like when you have a 'headache' (*g*), like "C'mon, babe, don't be like that!"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dano Seale said:

Peeve: Lazy ass'd Americans/people who now don't want to be recognised as "male/female". In short - their obsession with acronyms! *

Dano, I really think you need to get Gato to vet your posts again.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

54 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Is it?! I went to sim once, where women pretended to be men, belching, burping, being excessively loud, heavily drinking, etc. It was hilarious. 🤩 Those signs were rather obvious, of course. But what would make it easier for a women to truly pretend to be a man? (And I'm not counting the use of blatently obvious pickup lines like "I know this sounds ike a pickup line, but I really just want to get to know you as person." Or ostentatiously talking about sports). I think it would be kinda hard to pull off, actually.

Just put on the "Greg" library avatar and don't try to overthink it. That'll get you about 90% there. The other 10% is to act like you don't care if your freebie socket wrench matches the rest of your avatar and not to overact like the characters in the aforementioned sim did.

• Like 2

I get called "babe" by other women. I don't find it's the term itself, more what's being said with it, that's more a male or female thing. Never had a man call me "hun" or a woman call me "princess". 

I tend to assume it's a man when a woman with an especially flowery name says things that a woman wouldn't usually say.

Gender bending is probably one of the most obvious things people might want to explore in SL. It makes sense, I'm sure most of us have been curious about what it would be like to have some experiences as the opposite sex. It's a very limited way of experiencing it though. 

• Like 2

How do you determine what women don't say that men do? I grew up around males so it's only natural I picked upon terms and phrases they use/used and use them myself. It doesn't mean I am male. I am most definitely not. I just grew up in a house of mostly males and a neighborhood that had no girls anywhere close to my age. They were all either in high school or college when we moved into that house. I was maybe 5 at the time. 

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

I don't doubt for a minute it's complex Selene. And it gets fogged by cultural influences.

In Yorkshire you get called "Love" or "Duck" by men and women....it really doesn't mean anything.

We also get guys calling each other "Mate" constantly.

The one which grinds me a bit is "Dear". Where I live, only older ladies get called "Dear"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I don't doubt for a minute it's complex Selene. And it gets fogged by cultural influences.

In Yorkshire you get called "Love" or "Duck" by men and women....it really doesn't mean anything.

We also get guys calling each other "Mate" constantly.

The one which grinds me a bit is "Dear". Where I live, only older ladies get called "Dear"

Hehe, I love British! "That'll be sixpence, love!" :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

How do you determine what women don't say that men do? 

It's not an exact science, obviously. Sometimes it's certain turns of phrase, or the position they're espousing, but it's more likely to be in the way the prose is constructed. Just the manner of self-expression. I'm a bit reluctant to give concrete examples because there will always be exceptions, but I just find that overall, at a class level, men and women speak and write differently.

<<I wrote a paragraph here about a couple of times men masquerading as women were outed on another forum I use, for no good reason since men are welcome there, but I changed my mind. IM me if you're interested.>>

I once fed two pieces of my writing into the Gender Genie. It decided one was male and one was female. If I use a gender neutral name online, I'm often assumed to be male until the conversation goes somewhere like sexual harassment, and then I'm apparently pretty convincing. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dano Seale said:

For years it's been like a little sniffley cold you get once a year, you know, the "lol"'s and the "roflmao"'s etc. I could deal with that, it's infected me in real life to a point where checking written letters and emails to "official" folk for spelling mistakes often throws up a couple of subconscious "lol"'s that slipped in there. However, it's now become a pandemic to rival Covid, if slightly less harmful!
I mean, I'm a "Brit'", I live in Sweden, I shouldn't have to memorize 50 US States f***ing acronyms in case I happen to ask someone where they live! If the American I'm chatting to happens to be in or is ex military, (which it seems more of them have been than attended high school!) it becomes like talking with the first alien visitor from Sirius B!

TL;DR - Stop being lazy c****!

* Those acronyms I don't know or haven't deciphered yet.
** Thanks to Han Held for the swift translation of "amab" (I knew the gIRL one already).
*** @BelindaN -  Just how old are you in RL anyhow?...The people have a right to know!  🕵️‍♂️

Srsly? Teh Brit is gonna have a hissy fit at the Americans for abuse of language? WTF r u on about you old git? Oh boo hoo, you haz to learn that KY is a state called Kentucky and not a sexual lubricant except when it is. In KY the sexual lubricant is liquid, comes in a bottle and haz names like Eagle Rare.

ANYway.

Brits :::hiss::: what's with all the extra U's in wourds, huh? Colourful humour that we're too dumb to get requires U's? And stickin' Rs where they don't even exist? Don't get me started on saying school as skool but schedule is all pansy shhedule. You get your knickers in a twist... what century are you living in? And the place names! If it were spelled Brownsville y'all would pronounce it Mollywhoppit. :::kicks litter:::  

So take yer list of TLAs and sit your arse (see? bloody stupid way to spell ass) down and exercise yer bloody brain (which you just might be sittin on).

:::mew:::

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.