What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Errr, yeah. Regards to your voices. They are telling you some really strange things, apparently.

They may well be, but at least they aren't attempting to destroy someone else's soul or spoil anyone else's Second Life. 

Your turn ...

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I'm really not so affected by the lockdown. I mean I can't go to my favorite park and walk, and stop off on the way home at my favorite organic salad bar. If it goes on and on though I won't be able to visit my family in SF without risking getting ill.

What I'm worried about now is the depression we seem to be headed toward. Food insecurity. Civil unrest.  Somebody broke into my backyard the other day, probably looking for stuff to sell. I managed to get the back gate repaired. That's never happened before.  I just don't know how bad it's going to get.

Oh I think we saw a glimpse of that civil unrest at the beginning of the lock down, when people were queuing at the crack of dawn to buy hand sanitiser and toilet rolls! It is surely making sane people a little "bonkers".  

Trying to only think about life in fortnight chunks at a time. 

7 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Astute observation! People have a tendency not to relativate themselves, but YOU. "There's always someone worse off than you." There probably is, but it's a BS argument, meant to keep everyone silent about their suffering; and the one actually literally 'worst off' wouldn't even know it to boot.

So, yeah, hating those faux relativations. Reminds me, every time, of that poignant stanza from "In Memoriam", by Alfred Lord Tennyson:

One writes, that `Other friends remain,'
That `Loss is common to the race'—
And common is the commonplace,
And vacant chaff well meant for grain.

EDIT: Just agreeing with the pet peeve; not aimed at @Marigold Devin

None taken. LOL

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Oh I think we saw a glimpse of that civil unrest at the beginning of the lock down, when people were queuing at the crack of dawn to buy hand sanitiser and toilet rolls! It is surely making sane people a little "bonkers".  

Trying to only think about life in fortnight chunks at a time. 

Here there are lots of protests trying to get the country back opened up.  Creepy guys with rifles on the courthouse steps.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Here there are lots of protests trying to get the country back opened up.  Creepy guys with rifles on the courthouse steps.

It's all about the economy here, with proposals to open primary schools first, and some weird rules about how we can now visit people - parents for example - but only see them one at a time, and some things aren't making a deal of sense. But I do think we in the UK will get a second wave, and then it will be total lock down, not the half-hearted one we've been enduring, and the army will be brought in to do what the police couldn't/didn't do, and maybe we need that here. 

I would sooner have a harsher lock down, if it means we can stop the movement/progression of the virus. Suffer now, to reap the benefits soon and for longer. 

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

It's all about the economy here, with proposals to open primary schools first, and some weird rules about how we can now visit people - parents for example - but only see them one at a time, and some things aren't making a deal of sense. But I do think we in the UK will get a second wave, and then it will be total lock down, not the half-hearted one we've been enduring, and the army will be brought in to do what the police couldn't/didn't do, and maybe we need that here. 

I would sooner have a harsher lock down, if it means we can stop the movement/progression of the virus. Suffer now, to reap the benefits soon and for longer. 

Yeah there's a patchwork of recommendations here for opening up. And I don't see Trump really caring about possible deaths.

More support should be given to those living hand-to-mouth, often the front line workers keeping the wheels turning, and those with no money coming in and no savings.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

No doubt the suicide rates are going to go up these next few weeks.

I don't have anyone to look after me if I get sick either. And I have to look after someone full-time, so if I get sick there will be no one to look after him either.

It is what it is. For everyone right now. We're all in this minestrone soup together - even while apart.

And if you choose not to look for the positives, then you can be sure the negatives will get in through the cracks in your armour. 

My friend's mother died today. She has got proper reasons for being sad. I want to go hug her, help her sort out what she needs to sort out. She's been told no funeral for six weeks! It's frustrating. But it is what it is.

Yeah, you're really right. It's a hard balance, though, between wallowing in one's own misery (which is absolutely needed at times), and trying to look for the positive, lest one spirals off towards the deep end.

Our own Prime Minister (I'm Dutch), for instance, got rather criticized, the other week, for telling ppl we should all just get used to living like this, as this was now the 'new normal.' Totally understandable, where he's coming from; but no, there's nothing normal about this. People have been embracing, hugging, kissing, etc. each other for tens of thousands of years. It's called humanity. My long-winded point being: tell ppl the truth, but don't oversell it. People need hope. Not vain hope, just hope. And there is. This will eventually all go away, once a vaccin has been found (that doesn't involve drinking bleech). After all, Polio got eradicated too. And nobody, even in the day, was saying we would just have to get used to the 'new normal' of having Polio in our lives. Heck, most kids today don't even know what it is any more, even.

Tl;dr: Things do pass. And that's where I take my positive outlook from. Things make look bleak now, and hope may look slim to some; but, as fave SciFi Captain of mine once said, "Well, I've never known Hope when it wasn't on a diet."

Edited by kiramanell
Will I ever make a post without typos?!
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Yeah, you're really right. It's a hard balance, though, between wallowing in one's own misery (which is absolutely needed at times), and trying to look for the positive, lest one spirals off towards the deep end.

Our own Prime Minister (I'm Dutch), for instance, got rather criticized, the other week, for telling ppl we should all just get used to living like this, as this was now the 'new normal.' Totally understandable, where he's coming from; but no, there's nothing normal about this. People have been embracing, hugging, kissing, etc. each other for tens of thousands of years. It's called humanity. My long-winded point being: tell ppl the truth, but don't oversell it. People need hope. Not vain hope, just hope. And there is. This will eventually all go away, once a vaccin has been found (that doesn't involve drinking bleech). After all, Polio got eradicated too. And nobody, even in the day, was saying we would just have to get used to the 'new normal' of having Polio in our lives. Heck, most kids today don't even know what it is any more, even.

Tl;dr: Things do pass. And that's where I take my positive outlook from. Things make look bleak now, and hope may look slim to some; but, as fave SciFi Captain of mine once said, "Well, I've never known Hope when it wasn't on a diet."

I love your "long-winded" point. 

That phrase "new normal" is one of my pet peeves!

And you are also right - wallowing in one's own misery is essential at times, and believe me, I do it, but I try not to EVER bring it, and inflict it upon fellow members of these forums. None of us truly knows what turmoil each individual is enduring behind their avatars, not even if they have been brave/stupid* enough to open their hearts/souls/gobs via the "How are you feeling today" thread. 

It isn't fair/right/acceptable for anyone to add to anyone else's misery, and I include those who are meant to be our representatives - our world leaders.  

Boris Johnson, our prime minister, was admitted to hospital and treated for covid-19, so it would appear he has more empathy than the average leader, but I don't want to go deeply into politics this late in my day (or in Second Life environment generally really - I come here for escapism).  

We all need a hug - yes, and hope, as you say. We need more hope. 

*delete where applicable

• Thanks 1

I've been elsewhere and away from the thread for a while. I have to say, I prefered the derail about food more that the current derail. Ymmv. This one has an edge to it and there's enough threads with edges. 

Pet peeves: Threads that get shut but should really get taken down. Shut is good but sometimes...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Sadly I think we are stuck with covid for a long time yet,

I agree with you Marigold, except that I think that Covid19 will get watered down like so many of it's ancestors and become part of what we all think of as the common cold. Miserable to be sure but no longer lethal. Mind you, I don't think we'll get there for years but, someday, yeah.

Edited by kali Wylder
to clarify
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I've been elsewhere and away from the thread for a while. I have to say, I prefered the derail about food more that the current derail. Ymmv. This one has an edge to it and there's enough threads with edges. 

Pet peeves: Threads that get shut but should really get taken down. Shut is good but sometimes...

Sorry if I contributed to that. You know me, I tend to walk in, posting stuffz, not realizing there was a wee more subtext/drama going on than I had initially realized. :)  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I agree. I really don't need to see Covid talk in every thread. A little escape, like some food derail, is a welcome change from RL and everywhere else online.

ETA: The inability to escape all virus, all the time online without just shutting the damn computer off is MY pet peeve for the day.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Sorry if I contributed to that. You know me, I tend to walk in, posting stuffz, not realizing there was a wee more subtext/drama going on than I had initially realized. :)  

Just laughing. Sorry. "Geez, Kira, it ain't all about you!" :::hugs:::

But seriously, no apology necessary, at all, even a little. (Are you sure you're not Canadian?) We need to find a way to keep you up to date on the subtexty stuff. 😄

Actually, in a lot of ways, the PP was directed more to moderation styles than anything else, because if I were moderating I'd have taken the whole 2 threads down, but I'm not, they are, and at least it finally closed and I did learn some useful things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I agree. I really don't need to see Covid talk in every thread. A little escape, like some food derail, is a welcome change from RL and everywhere else online.

ETA: The inability to escape all virus, all the time online without just shutting the damn computer off is MY pet peeve for the day.

Yeah, and my thought was "there's already a vent about Covid thread," but since it is "my" thread... meh. People. N stuff.

• Like 3

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

Just laughing. Sorry. "Geez, Kira, it ain't all about you!" :::hugs:::

But seriously, no apology necessary, at all, even a little. (Are you sure you're not Canadian?) We need to find a way to keep you up to date on the subtexty stuff. 😄

Actually, in a lot of ways, the PP was directed more to moderation styles than anything else, because if I were moderating I'd have taken the whole 2 threads down, but I'm not, they are, and at least it finally closed and I did learn some useful things.

I prefer it when they leave the threads up after closing them. I like things to be documented so that future misrepresentations will be a bit more difficult to pull off successfully.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I prefer it when they leave the threads up after closing them. I like things to be documented so that future misrepresentations will be a bit more difficult to pull off successfully.

Yes, I know, and I agree, usually. Back to the old "Let the idiots speak for themselves" thing that Pep used to go on about. I dunno, just something about that one makes me want it to be gone, and it isn't my words or participation there. Bad juju or something. But yes, now that it is locked people who like doing sneaky edits can't.

ETA: They said what they said.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 2

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

Yes, I know, and I agree, usually. Back to the old "Let the idiots speak for themselves" thing that Pep used to go on about. I dunno, just something about that one makes me want it to be gone, and it isn't my words or participation there. Bad juju or something. But yes, now that it is locked people who like doing sneaky edits can't.

And people who like to play the "who, me????" card can't as easily get away with it. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.