What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

27 minutes ago, Orwar said:

As if they're attempting to speak with a scalding potato stuck at the back of their throat.

This is like the Scandinavian version of how we all made fun of the people in Kentucky when I lived in Ohio.

The Kentuckians made fun of West Virginia.

Not sure who *they* make fun of.

Where I live in New England, they make fun of anyone from "not from around here" which was literally defined to me by a *seriously* speaking co-worker as being about a thirty mile radius.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

The Kentuckians made fun of West Virginia.

Sadly, I grew up in Ky and lived there for almost 30 years. Mostly I heard them make fun of people from Ohio (a good number of whom were migrant Kentuckians) and Michigan. OTOH, I think the unofficial state motto of Ky is 'Hey, at least we are not Mississippi,' as Mississippi is about the only place with worse stats than Ky, except for smoking, which might be West Va. At any rate, they and the state I unfortunately live in now, IN, are all horrible, IMO. If I could do my life over, I would either run away to the Northeast in my teens and just starve there if I couldn't survive, or just shoot myself and at least not have to live my life in racist, xenophobic, homophobic, misogynistic states soaked through with Christian fundamentalism.

• Sad 4

Yeah, I lived in Iowa for a long time back in the 80s.  The joke there was that if the legislature really wanted to do something for Iowa's education stats they should carve of the lowest tier of counties in the state and give them to Missouri.  It would raise the IQ of both states. 

And then the joke in Minnesota is that "IOWA" on a car's license plate means, "Idiot on wheels ahead."

Everybody needs someone to look down on, it seems.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Sadly, I grew up in Ky and lived there for almost 30 years. Mostly I heard them make fun of people from Ohio (a good number of whom were migrant Kentuckians) and Michigan. OTOH, I think the unofficial state motto of Ky is 'Hey, at least we are not Mississippi,' as Mississippi is about the only place with worse stats than Ky, except for smoking, which might be West Va. At any rate, they and the state I unfortunately live in now, IN, are all horrible, IMO. If I could do my life over, I would either run away to the Northeast in my teens and just starve there if I couldn't survive, or just shoot myself and at least not have to live my life in racist, xenophobic, homophobic, misogynistic states soaked through with Christian fundamentalism.

Sadly, I know of what you speak. Although, weird, I wonder if it is a regionalism in KY what other state you make fun of. I always heard WV. You heard Michigan??? I lived in the far eastern part, not far from good old Hazard, but in the boondocks. LoL, Yep, referred to as East of Jesus. I LoL'd at the state motto you gave. I've lived in a lot of places. Some good, some bad, a lot of how you describe things in the last sentence. I miss the Left Coast...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yeah, I lived in Iowa for a long time back in the 80s.  The joke there was that if the legislature really wanted to do something for Iowa's education stats they should carve of the lowest tier of counties in the state and give them to Missouri.  It would raise the IQ of both states. 

And then the joke in Minnesota is that "IOWA" on a car's license plate means, "Idiot on wheels ahead."

Everybody needs someone to look down on, it seems.

One of the first things I learned here in the regionalisms is if you see a car from Massachusetts those be Massholes.

1 minute ago, Seicher Rae said:

I lived in the far eastern part, not far from good old Hazard, but in the boondocks.

I lived in central Ky, about 40 miles south of Lexington, but it was about like living in Appalachia. I grew up in a house heated only by a coal stove in the kitchen. My room was on the second floor in the back, and I would wake up in winter with ice on the inside of my windows. I slept under a thick down comforter I made from a kit, so I was ok as long as I stayed in bed, but getting dressed was a bit chilly, lol.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Jesus, Caer . . .

Pack a few bags. We've chipped in together to hire a taxi to come get you, and take you . . . pretty much anywhere else.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The joke there was that if the legislature really wanted to do something for Iowa's education stats they should carve of the lowest tier of counties in the state and give them to Missouri.  It would raise the IQ of both states. 

When I took a job in IN and moved there my boss said I raised the IQ of both states. He was from Ohio and I guess hated people from KY and IN both. Never quite understood why he hired me because he treated me horribly the whole time I worked for him...

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

they have the viewer set to render friends only. I've never used it, not sure how it works, but if that is what it does, it is a horrible feature.

This usually me. Going to a lot of the main shops that are busy usually gives the hamster that peddles my graphics card a stroke and he can only produce about 6fps! Going "friends only" is like I've threatened to cut his nuts off with clothing shears, and he gets back to about 35-50fps...and I can then move! 

Going back to the 'Vikings' thing (because I can't be bothered going back 4 pages for Orwar's original quote)....I live on the shores of Kattegat, Ragnar's (apparent) home. It's the sea on Skåne's Western coast and Denmark's Eastern coast on the other side. Skåne is Sweden's flattest County and trust me.....there's not a bloody mountain for hundreds of miles!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Jesus, Caer . . .

Pack a few bags. We've chipped in together to hire a taxi to come get you, and take you . . . pretty much anywhere else.

My life choices affect other people, and if I negatively affect others to make things better for myself, I have lost rather than gained. I should have done it when I was responsible for noone but myself. Otherwise I would have been gone long ago, if I had to live like in Rubyfruit Jungle.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dano Seale said:

This usually me. Going to a lot of the main shops that are busy usually gives the hamster that peddles my graphics card a stroke and he can only produce about 6fps! Going "friends only" is like I've threatened to cut his nuts off with clothing shears, and he gets back to about 35-50fps...and I can then move! 

Going back to the 'Vikings' thing (because I can't be bothered going back 4 pages for Orwar's original quote)....I live on the shores of Kattegat, Ragnar's (apparent) home. It's the sea on Skåne's Western coast and Denmark's Eastern coast on the other side. Skåne is Sweden's flattest County and trust me.....there's not a bloody mountain for hundreds of miles!

So when you are set to friends only then you truly don't see anyone else and you can just mow down other, unrendered avatars? I understand the graphic card strain, but can't you do other things? I often will set the sliders to make more jelly dolls cuz I don't give an eff in the shopping events what other people look like! I also set a next to nothing draw distance and will go to the advanced menu/rendering items and turn off just about everything... sky, water, etc. I've been crashed into by so many people that I bet have that friends only setting on. grrrrr

LoL about no bloody mountains there. Like, gosh, Ragnar doesn't climb the massive stone cliff overlooking Kattegat and look broodingly over his territory? Darn. Well, I will suspend disbelief because I love the scenery in the show. I mean, we could totally spam the thread with the inaccuracies in the history, both Viking and English, but meh. A great drinking game could be made every time blood is spilled in the show. X-number of points for a critter. Y-number of points for a critter making a human bleed. Z-number of points for blood eagles. etc. And by points I mean gulps of beverage. Shots of hard liquor would kill you after half an episode.

Still calmer than the forum has been though.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Jesus, Caer . . .

Once again, that is such a delightfully Canadian view of things!

Welcome to the 'merica tween the coasts. (Gross oversimplification, but in quipping I"m not going to cite sources in footnotes, etc.) (I'm never going to stop feeling like I have to make disclaimers.) (sigh)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I also set a next to nothing draw distance and will go to the advanced menu/rendering items and turn off just about everything... sky, water, etc.

The only thing I leave on when out and about is 'basic shadows' because I read once someone said turning that off is just stupid! Same person said you should turn off 'hi-rez snapshots' too. as that makes pic's fuzzy. Earlier, Skell told someone it should be on...and I trust him more than the person who said keep it off, so it's back on now. Tricky business this moving a photo taking ya know! lol.

11 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I've been crashed into by so many people that I bet have that friends only setting on. grrrrr

Unless you're in Firestorm and have the little box checked in the "friends only" activator which keeps it on constantly, teleporting cancels it out. 

14 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Well, I will suspend disbelief because I love the scenery in the show. I mean, we could totally spam the thread with the inaccuracies in the history, both Viking and English,

Most of the series was filmed in Ireland, so go there instead of Sweden for a holiday!  😆  And there's no actual factual knowledge that Vikings ever performed the 'blood eagle'! Though I wouldn't put it past them.

• Like 1

Pet peeve: Feeling like I have to disclaimer every sentence I say on the Forum.

This is a Me problem, not a You problem, I know. It has been ingrained in me since a long time ago, when I would be jumped on for every word, phrase or sentence that could possibly be taken in the wrong way, context or not. Good old conditioning. The sad fact is that it is still getting reinforced in this version of the forum. Things like paying a compliment and having it construed as something... ya know, I'm not totally sure what it was construed as! But that's just the most recent, is why I cite it. It isn't an isolated case, not the only time it happens, and not just with cranks. Certainly the written word can be mistranslated and misunderstood so easily. We all know that. Humor can be really tough, especially with an international audience. So, I get that. I even often flag my sarcasm with [sarcasm font] and folks still miss it. (There are some folks who are lacking the sarcasm/irony genes.) All that is well and good, but ffs, even if I weren't paranoid and super-sensitive, I'd still be feeling the need to make disclaimers due to overly sensitive folk looking for a reason to be offended. Grrrr. Right now with the forum's collective hive mind set to "freak out" it is especially bad.

It's a lot easier to make posts when under the influence of bugs and chemicals, including coffee. Then ya just don't give an eff.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

This is the best default setting to have when you come to the forums. :) 

Well, I can get the mixed up chemicals any time as that would be wrong Rx and coffee. Not sure I can wrangle up the possibly poisonous peanut bug thing, nor would I want to (gah, I can still taste that thing, seriously, and feel the squishy...ew ew ew). But you have a point, I need to up my no effs given levels. That'll never pis5 anyone off... as if.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

This is the best default setting to have when you come to the forums. :) 

And, frankly, the most honest one. I often catch myself writing in a way contrary to my nature. I will add "I think" after sentences, or lard them with "could be" or "maybe", just so as not to offend anyone. The latter part truly IS me; I just wish I could be me, without having to be so darn mindful of everyone's sensitivities, that is. My friends will tell me I'm just exercising Non-Violent Communication; but am I?! Or is it really just honing one's manipulation skills? I hate manipulation. And I hate doing it myself, that way. But if I don't, there''ll be societal hell to pay. LeSigh.

Sorry, Sylvia. I might have taken it a bit deeper than intended. The tl;dr version of which was simply: I admire ppl who just say it like is, like you, ot Seicher. Or Beth, etc.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

And, frankly, the most honest one. I often catch myself writing in a way contrary to my nature. I will add "I think" after sentences, or lard them with "could be" or "maybe", just so as not to offend anyone. The latter part truly IS me; I just wish I could be me, without having to be so darn mindful of everyone's ppl's sensitivities, that is. My friends will tell me I'm just exercising Non-Violent Communication; but am I?! Or is it really just honing one's manipulation skills? I hate manipulation. And I hate doing it myself, that way. But if I don't, there''ll be societal hell to pay. LeSigh.

Sorry, Sylvia. I might have taken it a bit deeper than intended. The tl;dr version of which was simply: I admire ppl who just say it like is, like you, ot Seicher. Or Beth, etc.

Nah, you're fine, though I admit I did giggle a bit that you apologized for such a non-offense, because that just proves your first paragraph.  😛 

I invite you to follow my new plan of using the excellent gif that @Orwar reminded me about today! We will say what we mean ("say it like it is"), then add this as the grand finale' to all of our posts:

tenor-170455012.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I invite you to follow my new plan of using the excellent gif that @Orwar reminded me about today! We will say what we mean ("say it like it is"), then add this as the grand finale' to all of our posts:

tenor-170455012.gif

I may go for something more dramatic

that's what I said.gif

• Haha 2

I REALLY hate when someone gets angry about getting banned from somewhere, makes TWO threads about it, in one of them people are making assumptions BASED on what they've told us and then has the audacity to say " You don't even know what happened!"

NO SH*T WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED! YOU FAILED TO TELL US REALLY ANYTHING, SO WHOSE FAULT IS THAT?!?!?!

Edited by IvyLarae
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

We ARed him and, zap, he was gone in maybe a minute.

I witnessed exactly the same when a 2 day old female was telling us in local she was 14 and then IMing the guys asking if they could tp her to somewhere adult.  We were all friends who jumped into a conference chat immediately voicing our concerns that we all were convinced she really was just 14.  So we all AR'd screenshots of the chat and minutes later she was gone from the club and searching her name brought up nothing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

I REALLY hate when someone gets angry about getting banned from somewhere, makes TWO threads about it, in one of them people are making assumptions BASED on what they've told us and then has the audacity to say " You don't even know what happened!"

NO SH*T WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED! YOU FAILED TO TELL US REALLY ANYTHING, SO WHOSE FAULT IS THAT?!?!?!

I usually assume that if someone is complaining about a ban, yet either doesn't explain the situation or does so only in the vaguest of terms, the ban was probably justified.

Especially if said person says some variation of "all I did was defend myself!".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.