What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Don't make us come over there and teach you-- How to make cheese, or something. 

Really did the Spaniards in, didn't we.

I love cheese, I spent a lot of summers on a dairy farm in Quebec!

Where you been?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Where you been?

Mostly in Uppsala. Looking for waterfalls that do not exist. 

Actually, it's not entirely true - we do have one.

Islandsfallet-efter.jpg

A majestic meter-or-so drop in elevation! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Islandsfallet-efter.jpg

A majestic meter-or-so drop in elevation! 

Now when you get a tourist that asks “Where’s the waterfall from Vikings?” You know where to direct them. Then tell them...it’s magic.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Be glad for small landmarks. I once rented an apartment in Uppsala for a few months. Without much high ground to climb up for a view, I learned to find my way around by remembering the few things I could spot from a distance like bridges and the domkyrka. Even a tiny waterfall can be worth noticing.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

the domkyrka.

In Uppsala, the Domkyrka is all you need.

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Even a tiny waterfall can be worth noticing.

Yes .. A friend once tried to walk up the fish stairs (right side of the picture) when drunk, we had to rush down stream to pull him out of the river with his girlfriend's handbag. She was less than pleased.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Totally agree with feeling protective of my avatar who I worked hard to make unique and she is me the way I wish I looked.  I never want to copy someones entire look. And I certainly don't want to drag someone down who's out to party hearty with mundane talk of shopping.

I don't have any opinion on Vikings, I've never watched the show. ;)

Edited by kali Wylder
typos drive me crazy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Uppsala fish have legs?

Seeing as 'legs' and 'bones' are the same word in Swedish. Yes?

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I don't have any opinion on Vikings, I've never watched the show. ;)

It was good until the last two seasons, not the most historically accurate show, but super entertaining. Very binge-worthy. 
Travis Fimmel really carried the show on his back; when he left, it really went downhill. He made Ragnar this weird kind of awesome. One of the sons, the one that played Ivar the Boneless tried to channel him, he was decent, but it was all about Ragnar.

• Like 1

@Orwar brutally said, "People who watch Vikings, is a pet peeve of mine. There are no bloody waterfalls in Uppsala! "

image.png.c59aa5e4d19d785afa5bf505ce206d5c.png

But but but the reason I watch is only for the accurate 9th C Norwegian & Swedish geography lessons! And they're wrong? 

image.png.7d15262d555c6d62cbcde1f56ce16774.png

Edited by Seicher Rae
ohhhhh... nothing
  • Haha 3

I think browsing the marketplace could be actually useful if there was a way to filter by listing date, similar to the existing filter by price. Just being able to cut out anything that predates my body would make clothing searching at least vaguely tolerable, for example.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vega Firelyte said:

I guess my personal pet peeve is people who get all twisted out of shape, when you ask them where they found an item.  Some people don't care and tell you right away but there are those who act like you asked for their first born child. 

I agree, and I love helping people who are nice. But one of my peeves is how many people are just rude. Some of it is probably a language barrier, but some of it isn't. Without a "hi" or anything, I have often had people DEMAND, not ask, to know where I have gotten something. I'd say it is about half the time! The most recent one was from a very aggressive person who not only demanded, but demanded I transfer to him the medical mask that is on my profile picture. He hounded me throughout a sim where I was taking photos and got very abusive. Sure, I muted him, and no, he didn't get the mask. If someone can't make at least a basic attempt not to be rude then eff 'em.

On the flip side, I try to be very nice and complimentary and sometimes ask "where did you get that...?" and have met the people who act like it is a big, special sekret. They are the same people who will not tell you the slurl or name of of a place where they took a picture (and you know darn well they know). I chalk it up to massive insecurity.

The "what is she wearing" thingie that Kali mentioned is great. I think I read about it on Strawberry's blog ages ago.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

this person has copied my exact configuration. Same with the ear piercings, too. Same skin. Same jacket. Same necklace. Same hair...

It's more than a little bit creepy... :/

Ok, now that IS creepy. 

My style, if you can tell from my profile photo here, is bohemian.  I'm eclectic in my style and fashion choices.  There was this one incident, where someone had a Marilyn piercing that really resembled the one I have in rl.  I thought it was cool and asked if she wouldn't mind telling me where it was from.  Yeah..she didn't react well.  I do get that people have spent time, money and energy in their avs; I have, so I do get that point.  I am, however, meaning a small item, where it's not a copy but more of they are interested because it just looks cool.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

@Orwar brutally said, "People who watch Vikings, is a pet peeve of mine. There are no bloody waterfalls in Uppsala! "

I imagine you imagining my voice being all dark and sinister, hoarse and imposing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Seicher Rae said:

[...] but with a heavy Norwegian accent...

How very dare you. 

Fact: Norwegians, to a Swede, sound like they're hiccuping their way through an orgasm when they speak. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Orwar said:

How very dare you. 

Fact: Norwegians, to a Swede, sound like they're hiccuping their way through an orgasm when they speak. 

Oooops. Sorry. To a stupid 'merican there's no difference between Norway and Sweden...

(It was a mistake on my part, I got confused as to where you live.)

You also added something different - your own twist to the look and image - whereas in a couple of his images he even angled the camera the same way and used a similar pose. He wasn't just imitating my look; he was imitating ME.

*shudders*

• Sad 1

A vague acquaintance of mine had a stalker go crazy on her again today. They rolled a new account with a similar name and identical display name, joined several high-traffic groups and started to spout large volumes of allegedly personal information, starting from their SL romantic life and then on to contact details and other RL information. This has supposedly happened half a dozen times before. 

As with the recent forum pest, they're left unbanned for hours at a time to spread their damage. When they are finally banned, they are left free to simply roll another account, without any measures put in place to prevent such a thing. In this particular case, the main account of the stalker is known, proof of the link has been provided to LL, and yet the main account has not been touched. Without any meaningful consequences for their actions, this psycho is free to keep up their campaign of hate on LL's own platform.

So I guess my pet peeve is LL's morally unjustifiable approach to moderation of both the forums and the world itself. "Just block lol" is not an acceptable response when someone is conducting a campaign of mass doxxing. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Norwegians, to a Swede, sound like they're hiccuping their way through an orgasm when they speak.

There's something strangely arousing about this image . . .

I may not be as vanilla as I've always thought!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There's something strangely arousing about this image . . .

I may not be as vanilla as I've always thought!

Scylla has a Norwegian-kink?! Gasps.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.