What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

With all that fondant on, who could say whatā€™s even under it šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£ that hair, good gravy...

I am just a cake fiend.

Just before Christmas I gave up cake for beer. Then I gave up beer for men.

I am back to cake.

But I bought a cake that looked gorgeous - a tray bake, of sponge covered in thin icing with hundreds and thousands. It was so darn awful, I lobbed it out for the birds.Ā 

That was two weeks ago. The cake is still on top of the bin outhouse, even the birds won't eat it!

_____

So I guess my pet peeve here is food, things, (and people) who masquerade as something they are clearly not and are a downright letdown.

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I thought that there are very few 'fully furnished' places in SL, which means that even if the house itself is owned by someone else, the furnishings would be owned by the actual renter.

There are quite a few fully furnished rentals both skybox and houses available for rent. It's all owned by the landlord/lady, not the renter. Some offer you the choice of having all your own stuff or a mix of yours and theirs or just all theirs.

Ā 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I'd eat the b u g g e r. I've had prettier cakes that have turned out not to be all that nice underneath. Just like I've gone out with pretty handsome blokes that have turned out to be evil twunts. I bet she turned out to be moist and delicious.

To be fair, it's better than anything I could do. I think the lady who made it was stepping in for a kids' cake charity when a volunteer professional baker pulled out or something. So it's mean to laugh, but it's so funny.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Just before Christmas I gave up cake for beer. Then I gave up beer for men.

I am back to cake.

You only allow yourself one vice at a time?Ā  How ascetic of you!

(But I agree, cake is the best vice of the three)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I thought that there are very few 'fully furnished' places in SL, which means that even if the house itself is owned by someone else, the furnishings would be owned by the actual renter.

I knew of a place that rented out fully furnished homes.Ā  They were really quite beautiful and the furniture animations worked for anyone who happened to sit.... or rather I should say that my first av did.Ā  She and her partner loved to go on adventures and find out of the way spots with animations.Ā  It was fun.Ā  Maybe it was wrong of us, but we didn't really hurt anything.Ā 

4 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

These contests do not exist in a vacuum, they are part of a creator's holistic marketing strategy. The nature of SL's economy is that creations have no per-item costs, and only overheads and upfront costs (ie; it doesn't matter if a creator sells 10 or 1000 of a thing in a set period, the costs are the same). Smart creators will be liberal shovelling free stuff at their customerbase; in ways that ensures that customerbase shovels cash straight back at them.

Yep, absolutely.

The point I was making about "good will" is, of course, that finding ways to generate that is another potential component of a marketing strategy. We've seen a lot of this around the pandemic in both RL and SL; in-world, some creators have been offering their goods at either a substantial discount, or even entirely free.

And that's very nice, and yay them! But it's also pretty canny.* For instance, mesh head maker X sent out a free limited edition of one of their usually pretty expensive heads for free, and it has had two observable and complementary effects: maker X has been lauded for their generosity, while maker Y, producer of what is I'm sure still the most popular brand of women's mesh heads in SL, has been castigated for not doing something similar.

The other point of this, which is predicated upon the quality of the giveaway, is that people try the "limited edition" version, and like it so much that they drop buckets of cash buying the other products by the maker. And I'm sure that's going to happen, to some degree.

It's hard to quantify the marketing impact of "good will," but I think it exists.

Ā 

* I don't want to sound entirely cynical here. I am sure that some, maybe even most, of those contributing free giveaways during the pandemic genuinely do so at least in part out of a philanthropic desire to help the community. And many creators are very engaged with in-world events like Relay for Life or One Billion Rising; I am sure many of these contribute because they actually care about the cause.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Emphasis mine. This is the reason why the contests aren't "opened up" to those without social media; it would massively dilute the self-replicating advertisement they are hoping for and so undermine the entire raison d'etre of the contest itself.

In terms of how the merchant can address everyone else - that is what group gifts are for. Likewise with seasonal gift cards that many high-volume creators run. If you're not willing to share adverts on social media, there is very little you can contribute in terms of advertising to the creator. What you can contribute is your own wallet; and if you can get people to stand next to a vendor to receive free stuff, a not-insignificant number of those people will also stand next to other vendors to buy stuff shortly afterwards. Everyone wins!

These contests do not exist in a vacuum, they are part of a creator's holistic marketing strategy. The nature of SL's economy is that creations have no per-item costs, and only overheads and upfront costs (ie; it doesn't matter if a creator sells 10 or 1000 of a thing in a set period, the costs are the same). Smart creators will be liberal shovelling free stuff at their customerbase; in ways that ensures that customerbase shovels cash straight back at them.

Ā 

I'm not sure what annoys me more, that you are so 'cold' about it, or that you're right.Ā šŸ¤”

3 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I'm not sure what annoys me more, that you are so 'cold' about it, or that you're right.Ā šŸ¤”

If it makes you feel any better, I work for the government. I'm supposed to be a soulless bureaucratĀ :(

Edited by AyelaNewLife
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, kiramanell said:

Ā 

But if only you were wrong. I guess that's really how the world works.

Not entirely, Kira.

It's how corporations or institutions work. Corporations aren't people (whatever idiocy the US Supreme Court might say): they are money-making machines. They by definition exist for one sole purpose, and they have "evolved" to maximize and excel at it.

People, on the other hand, remain as varied as they've always been -- and a lot of them (sometimes even CEOs!) actually care about other people.

So, take heart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not entirely, Kira.

It's how corporations or institutions work. Corporations aren't people (whatever idiocy the US Supreme Court might say): they are money-making machines. They by definition exist for one sole purpose, and they have "evolved" to maximize and excel at it.

People, on the other hand, remain as varied as they've always been -- and a lot of them (sometimes even CEOs!) actually care about other people.

So, take heart.

Ā 

Thanks, I needed that.Ā ā¤ļø

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Sadly, you are right. Hence why I am back to cake :/Ā 

Ā 

"The cake is a lie!"Ā šŸ˜›Ā (For ppl who actually did play Portal,Ā "The cake is a lie!" is a lie! In the end, there really was cake!). Okay, LOL, nevermind me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One of my fave books, Hyperbole and a Half, has a hilarious story about the author's five-year-old self pitching a fit about a cake her mother made for the grandfather's birthday. The book is full of drawings, you've no doubt seen them as the meme about "Clean all the things!" and that where my sigline image comes from. Pretty much this: CAKE. Like, you'd have to really eff up a cake for it to be inedible.

image.thumb.png.b71b2b19cd40ad09b4b18ee2e7fa050f.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kiramanell said:

Ā 

"The cake is a lie!"Ā šŸ˜›Ā (For ppl who actually did play Portal,Ā "The cake is a lie!" is a lie! In the end, there really was cake!). Okay, LOL, nevermind me.

Thank you for making a recognizable reference to the only FPS I've ever played (well, Portal II as well), and making me feel, for just a moment, a little bit hip. šŸ™‚

Now, if you'd kindly just quote Cave Johnson, so I can jump up and down excitedly, squealing "I KNOW THIS!!!"

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thank you for making a recognizable reference to the only FPS I've ever played (well, Portal II as well), and making me feel, for just a moment, a little bit hip. šŸ™‚

Now, if you'd kindly just quote Cave Johnson, so I can jump up and down excitedly, squealing "I KNOW THIS!!!"

Ā 

Hehe, thank you Scylla!Ā ā¤ļøĀ Here's a wee Cave JohnsonĀ paraphrase, good for our dear Friend Trump:

"They say great science is built on the shoulders of giants. Not here. At the White House, we do all our science from scratch."Ā šŸ˜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

This should, if its not already, be on the make us laugh thread. I laughed.Ā 

Ā 

Yep, Cave Johnson is hilarious. :)Ā And I just popped over to thread too, and it's replete with REALLY funny stuff as well.Ā šŸ˜›

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.