What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Our laptops pop up a restart countdown box - giving us 30 minutes to finish whatever and let the reboot happen.  It is highly frustrating, especially when it happens twice in the same morning - and the first reboot was actually 2 reboots.  We used to be able to do a 4-hour delay, twice, before it forced the reboot.  Those delays would at least let me finish the work day before doing the reboot.  Given how each time takes 15-30 minutes, that at least prevent some of the irritation.

I'm still sometimes can't believe that we are still on Win 7 - though given how so many companies like to delay upgrades for as long as possible, I'm not totally surprised.

Look at it this way. You're getting paid to post on the forum while you wait for the updates to complete. :D

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Look at it this way. You're getting paid to post on the forum while you wait for the updates to complete. :D

Actually, it is interrupting my forum posting.  I don't use my phone for forum stuff -- heck I barely use my phone for anything unless we are traveling. So my forum activity during the work day is via the browser on the laptop.  If the laptop is spending 30 minutes updating and rebooting, that is 30 minutes that I am NOT getting my forum fix.

Hi, my name is LittleMe and I may be an SL Forum addict.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, it is interrupting my forum posting.  I don't use my phone for forum stuff -- heck I barely use my phone for anything unless we are traveling. So my forum activity during the work day is via the browser on the laptop.  If the laptop is spending 30 minutes updating and rebooting, that is 30 minutes that I am NOT getting my forum fix.

Hi, my name is LittleMe and I may be an SL Forum addict.

Ah. I thought you would be using your phone if you didn't have access to another pc. Isn't that what those that have cell phones do? I know some that do when they don't have access to a pc. Maybe not on the LL forum but on others.

It's what I would do if I had a cell phone and was addicted...

I am not addicted! You are! Everytime I get online YOU are there!

heehee.gif.5526b454f491c4d227cfb65693b65855.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm still sometimes can't believe that we are still on Win 7 - though given how so many companies like to delay upgrades for as long as possible, I'm not totally surprised.

The only thing that surprised me about it is that the company I work for, which likes to try and do everything as cheap as possible, actually upgraded to Win10 more than a year ago. And oh boy, you should have heard the complaints from people who didn't like it.

17 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Ah. I thought you would be using your phone if you didn't have access to another pc. Isn't that what those that have cell phones do? I know some that do when they don't have access to a pc. Maybe not on the LL forum but on others.

I browse the forum on my phone during breaks at work, and when I'm on the bus. 

But I am in no way addicted, no not at all...

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I hate trying to read any web browser on my phone.  That darn screen is just too tiny - I can't squint quite that much.

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I hate trying to read any web browser on my phone.  That darn screen is just too tiny - I can't squint quite that much.

A pair of low powered reading glasses might help. I'd suggest a magnifying glass but you wouldn't be able to hold it and the phone at the same time unless you got a mounted one like this:

51UNGbjMDRL._AC_SX425_.jpg

or this:

table-mounted-magnifying-glass-table-top

Just a thought. :) 

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

A pair of low powered reading glasses might help. I'd suggest a magnifying glass but you wouldn't be able to hold it and the phone at the same time unless you got a mounted one like this:

51UNGbjMDRL._AC_SX425_.jpg

or this:

table-mounted-magnifying-glass-table-top

Just a thought. :) 

I already have bifocals, but that still doesn't really help much with the phone screen. 

I'm kinda liking those magnifying glasses though.  :D

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I already have bifocals, but that still doesn't really help much with the phone screen. 

I'm kinda liking those magnifying glasses though.  :D

I need bifocals myself. Dunno know I'm going to do in a few months when it's time for a new prescription. I can't afford the exam or the glasses.

They come in pretty darn handy at times. ;)

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I get limited laptop time, especially Wednesdays and Thursdays, and so I'm on my phone a lot those days, and any other day, especially when travelling by train or when I'm in bed.......

Forum addict? Moi???🤔

17 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I get limited laptop time, especially Wednesdays and Thursdays, and so I'm on my phone a lot those days, and any other day, especially when travelling by train or when I'm in bed.......

Forum addict? Moi???🤔

Other half and I learned a long time ago that sharing a pc just will not work. Even more so now, two decades later. That was one of the reasons we fought like cats and dogs the first couple of years. Thankfully, my mom stepped in and helped us out making it possible for him to get some used parts and build one for himself. She even admitted that she didn't want to like him but found she was liking him in spite of herself. lol

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

And many cases a computer is cheaper then a phone.  Although the last time I was in a big box store --- they only had 2 models for comps and expanded the phones into their former space. I'd love to see the cell networks have an issue and crash and burn and see most everyone have withdrawals. :)

Someone is crusin for a brusin. xD

when i read someone s profile and see this:

By you Instant Messaging me, you hereby AGREE AND RELEASE ALL RIGHT TO ME being liable within the TOS Agreement and rights to your privacy consenting for me to use your chat logs as I want to, may it be copy and paste to others in Second Life. If you do not agree then DO NOT INSTANT MESSAGE ME. You hereby have been warned this is happening and Linden Labs states that I have warned you and you have agreed to the said instant message you send to me. You do not hold any legal right to to turn a report to Linden Labs for this matter and I agree I am not accountable for this action when I do it and you are consenting for me to do with your instant message what I wish.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Panteleeva said:

By you Instant Messaging me, you hereby AGREE AND RELEASE ALL RIGHT TO ME being liable within the TOS Agreement and rights to your privacy consenting for me to use your chat logs as I want to, may it be copy and paste to others in Second Life. If you do not agree then DO NOT INSTANT MESSAGE ME. You hereby have been warned this is happening and Linden Labs states that I have warned you and you have agreed to the said instant message you send to me. You do not hold any legal right to to turn a report to Linden Labs for this matter and I agree I am not accountable for this action when I do it and you are consenting for me to do with your instant message what I wish.

@Dakota Linden, @Oz Linden and many other Lindens have mentioned many times in these forums that statements like this do not and cannot override the TOS and you can still AR these people if they break that rule. In the U.S. the Supreme Court has also ruled on subjects like this, stating that a person cannot "sign away their rights". It's the same with Linden Lab Terms of Service and Community Standards.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Panteleeva said:

I have a rebuttal to that sort of bs on one of my picks. 

This is the kind of thing that happens when people rp being an attorney and manage to convince others they are legit. That bs, no matter how it is worded, will never stand up in court in the US. Those kinds of picks are not legal contracts and do not absolve any wrongdoing.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Well... if you are leaving one region and crossing into another that is on a different sim (server) it is a sim crossing.

I like to think what happens is:
We see on our screen that avatar moves from one region to another region. Everybody knows (or should know) that a region is the 256 m x 256 m area. When crossing regions then in the servers a simulator handover happens (not a sim crossing).

And anyway, on inworld signs "region crossing" is natural, because that's what we see is happening. We cross the border from one region to another region. What we see inworld is not a "sim", it indeed is a region.

I know that "sim" is hard coded in many brains to mean something what it actually is not. Therefore people still speak of "sim" crossings.

17 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

I like to think what happens is:
We see on our screen that avatar moves from one region to another region. Everybody knows (or should know) that a region is the 256 m x 256 m area. When crossing regions then in the servers a simulator handover happens (not a sim crossing).

And anyway, on inworld signs "region crossing" is natural, because that's what we see is happening. We cross the border from one region to another region. What we see inworld is not a "sim", it indeed is a region.

I know that "sim" is hard coded in many brains to mean something what it actually is not. Therefore people still speak of "sim" crossings.

Not going to argue semantics. I've been in SL since 2004 and they were called sims back then by everyone including the Lindens

Old habits die hard, if they die at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Not going to argue semantics. I've been in SL since 2004 and they were called sims back then by everyone including the Lindens

Old habits die hard, if they die at all.

Yes, I understand. I've been in SL since 2007 and everybody was calling regions sims. Only quite recently I got out from the old habit - blame Patch. ¬¬;)
(And now I get annoyed when I see regions to be called sims; it has become a pet peeve. Help!) :S:o

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Yes, I understand. I've been in SL since 2007 and everybody was calling regions sims. Only quite recently I got out from the old habit - blame Patch. ¬¬;)
(And now I get annoyed when I see regions to be called sims; it has become a pet peeve. Help!) :S:o

I use both terms. That way I can annoy everyone equally. xD

• Haha 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.