What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, halebore Aeon said:

I have to say one big grievance for me, is when I close out of chat in SL and someone new types something in that group chat and it pops back up. Unless it's a function in Firestorm I can disable, then it really needs to be added. There have been times, I have closed out those chats 4 -5 times and I really don't want to have to leave the groups. As they are places I really like. But I just wish LL or the firestorm team would put in a function, if it already hasn't been added. That once you close the group chat, even if a new person types something, it won't pop back up.

There is a Firestorm setting that lets you specify how long after you close group chat that it is basically disabled for, so it won't reopen again for at least that long.  I don't remember where it is set -- maybe search for Group or Chat and see what you find.

On 11/15/2019 at 4:33 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

There is a Firestorm setting that lets you specify how long after you close group chat that it is basically disabled for, so it won't reopen again for at least that long.  I don't remember where it is set -- maybe search for Group or Chat and see what you find.

Activation of group-chat-snooze the little zz button in the upper right corner of the group chat box.  Default snooze time is 900 seconds.  Adjust default globally by Preferences -> Chat -> Chat Window -> Group Chat Snooze Duration.  You may also set individual snooze duration(s) by check the little box under "Group Chat Snooze Duration"

35 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

"Spend L$17897 more with us and get 5% off!!!"

Yes! Especially in stores, where its _really_ hard to even reach that 5% level. It makes the discount levels superficial and pointless. If shop owners don't really want to give a discount, they just shouldn't.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Yes! Especially in stores, where its _really_ hard to even reach that 5% level. It makes the discount levels superficial and pointless. If shop owners don't really want to give a discount, they just shouldn't.

Not to mention they don't have that much product in their store to even reach that amount!

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

It's like some RL fast-food places, one that I hate, but was dragged to that starts with an M have these "breakfast" burritos and their counter-top signage says "Only $0.99 each. Or buy two and save, only $1.98!" - the sad fact is people fall for that all the time. Not to mention it's about $0.15 worth of food, based on the portion sizes.

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Stuff like this - found on a product vendor today.

image.png.4888e34eefe7c8ca9bcae13fc4df8715.png

In fairness, though: Could it be that the vendor is pulling permissions data from the box contents? In that case, it could be the scripts inside the item forcing the no-mod information on the vendor. But your point is definitely relative. LOL

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

In fairness, though: Could it be that the vendor is pulling permissions data from the box contents? In that case, it could be the scripts inside the item forcing the no-mod information on the vendor.

Of course, but the merchant is selling the entire product, including the scripts in it.  What counts to the buyer are the permissions on whatever she is paying for. If no-mod scripts make the product no-mod, it's false advertising to say that it's Copy/Mod. My guess is that it's at least clumsy proofreading.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

I totally agree with that, and I am like. When in the heck, will I ever spend that much in just one store? I know of one place, that expects you to spend 10k, to even get a 5% discount. I rarely spend 10k in one store as it is. Maybe a 1k here and there, but I will never drop 10k all at once.

9 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Of course, but the merchant is selling the entire product, including the scripts in it.  What counts to the buyer are the permissions on whatever she is paying for. If no-mod scripts make the product no-mod, it's false advertising to say that it's Copy/Mod. My guess is that it's at least clumsy proofreading.

I agree. It becomes false advertising on a technicality. Which is why I never buy from in-world vendors unless IO can demo first. Also why I prefer to shop Market Place; the creator has the opportunity to use a lot of description space (where they can specific the true permissions of each component of the item. And if they do not use that description space to be properly descriptive, I then imagine they are just as lazy with the creation of said item.

So this one is less of a peeve and more of a "differing preferences can cause friction (but my preference is of course the best)":

If I say "I'm headed to bed", or "real life calls", or any other variation of "I need to log off" - stop talking at me. I'm doing you the courtesy of giving you prior notice that I will be logging off in the next couple of minutes. Finish your thought, quickly mention anything else you wanted to say, then let me go. Don't keep on yapping indefinitely... I've started leaving mid-sentence with the people that refuse to take the hint.

And that applies to you too - if you say goodnight/I need to leave, I'm mentally closing off our conversation then waiting for you to leave. So don't still be here talking at me 20 minutes later, because I'll have stopped actively trying to have a conversation with you. Just leave.

On the other hand, unless there's some minor emergency or other situation which means you genuinely need to leave this second... at least give me a chance to say "goodnight!" before logging off? Common courtesy and all that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

In fairness, though: Could it be that the vendor is pulling permissions data from the box contents? In that case, it could be the scripts inside the item forcing the no-mod information on the vendor. But your point is definitely relative. LOL

This particular item doesn't have any scripts in it -- no texture change or animations in it.  And the same store has vendors with scripted items - beds, etc... - that do have scripts and the picture permissions and vendor permissions match, all showing Mod allow.  

While the majority of the items in the store are modifiable, there were a couple of items that were designated as No Mod (via both the picture and vendor), so I didn't want to chance it.  I sent a message to the creator and hopefully he'll respond.

It was a plausible thought, although I'm not sure I've ever seen a vendor that does that - and not the case this time.

3 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

So this one is less of a peeve and more of a "differing preferences can cause friction (but my preference is of course the best)":

If I say "I'm headed to bed", or "real life calls", or any other variation of "I need to log off" - stop talking at me. I'm doing you the courtesy of giving you prior notice that I will be logging off in the next couple of minutes. Finish your thought, quickly mention anything else you wanted to say, then let me go. Don't keep on yapping indefinitely... I've started leaving mid-sentence with the people that refuse to take the hint.

And that applies to you too - if you say goodnight/I need to leave, I'm mentally closing off our conversation then waiting for you to leave. So don't still be here talking at me 20 minutes later, because I'll have stopped actively trying to have a conversation with you. Just leave.

On the other hand, unless there's some minor emergency or other situation which means you genuinely need to leave this second... at least give me a chance to say "goodnight!" before logging off? Common courtesy and all that.

Please, yes. To all of it. And even if you have to leave this second type "gtg" or something equally brief. I've stood around an insta-poof for a while wondering if they got kicked out of SL and have to log back in. And no, their house wasn't burning down.

4 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Please, yes. To all of it. And even if you have to leave this second type "gtg" or something equally brief. I've stood around an insta-poof for a while wondering if they got kicked out of SL and have to log back in. And no, their house wasn't burning down.

Or sometimes they go poof due to their ISP. There was some in world that happens and they said many times Cromcrap would dump them off. They're in a older neighborhood and the cable company hasn't updated their circuits yet.

7 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Or sometimes they go poof due to their ISP. There was some in world that happens and they said many times Cromcrap would dump them off. They're in a older neighborhood and the cable company hasn't updated their circuits yet.

That's why I said (above) that I stood around (waiting) after an insta-poof, thinking they'd been dropped, when no, they just were done talking.

So here's a story. Months ago I used to visit a wilderness sim. Often there was a guy just hanging around. We exchanged chat, and all was good. Then one day the conversation got much deeper, and adult.....

He was pushing for an exclusive relationship, and when I refused, he flipped, and got really nasty. His parting shot was that he would report me to LL for breaching terms and conditions. He freaked me out and I was so upset that I had to consult my Great Aunt Rhonda. 😊 who put my mind at rest. I've never seen him since that encounter.

Yesterday, I was at Muddy's. A guy with the same name, but with one 'x' instead of two, hit me up. "Shields Up". After a short conversation, in which he told me his RL situation and asked me if I was married with kids, I knew it was the same guy. I just tpd away. Does he really think I don't remember? What's wrong with these people?

For the avoidance of doubt, yes I'm married in RL with a daughter. 😛

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

That's why I said (above) that I stood around (waiting) after an insta-poof, thinking they'd been dropped, when no, they just were done talking.

True. Now they give a warning "If we drop, it's Comcrap!"  Before we moved a few years ago our old ISP would have more crash and burns then at a NASCAR race!

17 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

So here's a story. Months ago I used to visit a wilderness sim. Often there was a guy just hanging around. We exchanged chat, and all was good. Then one day the conversation got much deeper, and adult.....

He was pushing for an exclusive relationship, and when I refused, he flipped, and got really nasty. His parting shot was that he would report me to LL for breaching terms and conditions. He freaked me out and I was so upset that I had to consult my Great Aunt Rhonda. 😊 who put my mind at rest. I've never seen him since that encounter.

Yesterday, I was at Muddy's. A guy with the same name, but with one 'x' instead of two, hit me up. "Shields Up". After a short conversation, in which he told me his RL situation and asked me if I was married with kids, I knew it was the same guy. I just tpd away. Does he really think I don't remember? What's wrong with these people?

For the avoidance of doubt, yes I'm married in RL with a daughter. 😛

It's not really even a case of memory; he just had to look at the chat history in the IM window that he opened to see his little tantrum.

Bullet dodged, really.

20 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Sadly, this type of thing is fairly common. The bright side is, most of the time those types tip you off pretty quickly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.