What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, halebore Aeon said:

My biggest pet peeve, to add to that. Is when someone promotes a photo contest, and you have to be in the group. Which costs you money, to just be part of this contest. To take a picture on the dang sim.

But isn't that part of the point of the contest, to earn money for the owner? The equivalent of having to fill in a form to enter a magazine competition in dead-tree days, to make you buy the publication.

7 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

But isn't that part of the point of the contest, to earn money for the owner? The equivalent of having to fill in a form to enter a magazine competition in dead-tree days, to make you buy the publication.

I will not join any contest if I have to sign up and pay for a subscription. I know you are being sarcastic, but even the magazines tell you in the fine print. That you have to sign up with the magazine for you to be eligible to enter the contest. Sim owners do not, they don't leave anything about that. At least nowadays. They go oh photo contest happening at this sim, you tp in. Oh, I need to be a member to get in? Screw your photo contest.

52 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

I know you are being sarcastic

Eh? No I'm not. Why would you think that?

Competitions are commonly (usually?) run as money raisers. It's pretty normal to have to pay an entry fee in some form. Obviously you've got the perfect right not to participate if you don't like it. Just seemed an odd thing to get annoyed about when it's so standard.

Back in the day when I was a store model/assistant, my employer held a model photograph competition. Prize was some Ls and a job modelling at the store. (We were absolutely inundated.) You didn't need to join the group but you did need to pay for each photograph you entered. Would that be preferable?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Depends. Did you ever read my blog post about what really went on behind the runway modeling scene at a once well known modeling agency and how that particular "photo contest" worked? If not, https://phedrelefevre.wordpress.com/category/phedres-phollies/ for context.

As for how the voting works… out of curiosity I logged in on my main, popped over to the voting area and dropped 100Ls on my photo expecting the vote count to go up by 4 since its supposed to be 25L per vote. I got a whopping ONE vote for 100Ls. 100Ls divided by 25Ls equals 4. Hmmm… Needless to say I didn’t ever vote again.  The so called boost voting? Two votes gets you one boost vote but only if you drop a minimum of 500Ls. I still have all of the CWS the notecards I was given. I’m not deleting anything. Instead I am boxing everything to do with CWS in one box and keeping as a reminder to myself and for future reference.

I'm pretty sure I have that box still to remind me never, ever to participate in any way, shape or form in a popularity photo contest.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Depends. Did you ever read my blog post about what really went on behind the runway modeling scene at a once well known modeling agency and how that particular "photo contest" worked? If not, https://phedrelefevre.wordpress.com/category/phedres-phollies/ for context.

I'm pretty sure I have that box still to remind me never, ever to participate in any way, shape or form in a popularity photo contest.

I do remember that post...I was never involved in runway modelling or, indeed, anything beyond the store modelling and customer assistance. Some of the others took it extremely seriously but it was never more than a fun way to earn Ls for me. My employer was terrific and I did my best for her, but I had no interest in the SL modelling scene. Apparently there was a lot of drama and internal politics going on among us store models, but I never knew about it until a few of them got ejected. I just turned up and did my job.

Our photo competition was based on a public vote system to select the finalists and then the store owner and we models chose the winner from amongst them. Inevitably, popularity and alts were going to play a part in influencing the public vote part of the selection process, but I don't know how we could avoid that, and all competitors knew how it worked before they decided to enter. I know for sure that the owner/models selection was kosher because I was involved in that discussion. (I favoured the girl who came second, much preferred her picture.)

If there's corruption then obviously that's a problem, but I still don't think there's anything wrong with an entry fee to a legitimate competition. It might be the price of a magazine, a group subscription or just a straightforward charge. Obviously anyone's got the right to find it annoying and avoid it. It just surprised me a bit because, well, entry fees are pretty normal, aren't they?

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I do remember that post...I was never involved in runway modelling or, indeed, anything beyond the store modelling and customer assistance. Some of the others took it extremely seriously but it was never more than a fun way to earn Ls for me. My employer was terrific and I did my best for her, but I had no interest in the SL modelling scene. Apparently there was a lot of drama and internal politics going on among us store models, but I never knew about it until a few of them got ejected. I just turned up and did my job.

Our photo competition was based on a public vote system to select the finalists and then the store owner and we models chose the winner from amongst them. Inevitably, popularity and alts were going to play a part in influencing the public vote part of the selection process, but I don't know how we could avoid that, and all competitors knew how it worked before they decided to enter. I know for sure that the owner/models selection was kosher because I was involved in that discussion. (I favoured the girl who came second, much preferred her picture.)

If there's corruption then obviously that's a problem, but I still don't think there's anything wrong with an entry fee to a legitimate competition. It might be the price of a magazine, a group subscription or just a straightforward charge. Obviously anyone's got the right to find it annoying and avoid it. It just surprised me a bit because, well, entry fees are pretty normal, aren't they?

The point is, be very careful of any contests in SL. While some are legit (and very well put together and run), many are not. It's not the entry fees that is the problem. It's the pay to vote. If you have the most money and the most friends (and friends of friends, etc), you will win. That's a popularity contest, not a photo contest, which is what most (not all) photo contests really are. 

Having never been popular in SL (or RL  unless you count being the butt of every joke), people like me don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning. What it boils down to is who can afford (financially) to be popular and who can't. Personally, I can't.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

My biggest pet peeve, when it comes to Flickr. Especially as a blogger. Is when groups, either don't put that they have opted out, or when they are taking a break or closed down. There is not a tick box for at least the ones taking a break, to hide the group from adding to it. Heck, if you shut down your group on Flickr, please delete it. Nothing drives me crazy, like having to see, oh this group is closed, this group is taking a break. And the ones that do take a break. Is it really a break, or did you close? Because some of them have been away for over a year.

I grabbed a bunch of demos today from a few different stores. One came as a single object title 'dress-name DEMO', not as a folder of anything.  Not remembering that this particular dress is for Maitreya only, I assumed the single object needed to be unpacked.  Rather than "attaching" to unpack, I rezzed it to the floor.  It turned out to be the actual dress demo rather than a box and it promptly poofed giving a chat message of "DEMO: You are not allowed to rezz this demo, please wear only!".  The "poof" did not result in the item going into my trash - it just flat vanished.  And of course it was No Copy, so there isn't another copy of it in my inventory.  Needless to say, I am not going to bother going back to the store to get another demo and instead will simply add the store to my list of "Forget it, not shopping there".

Why do creators do these things?

image.jpeg.7f6102308549bacd79ac3319a0165f68.jpeg     image.jpeg.ce630199cc3c2eeda93a147b6a730029.jpeg  image.jpeg.dce71b4e6bfdfaaa49ae0e61b1df69d9.jpeg

• Like 4

I recently looked at a modelling course..... yeah I know.......

Turns out you need to commit to classes, or make up lost time, and buy your own catwalk posebslls, and may need skins and shapes......

Well I don't mind having to buy the poseballs and animations, but I'm precious about how I look and won't willingly change my skin or shape.  So it's  a non starter.

Oh and did I mention that its L$5k to do the course? This is not RL...........I don't need the work...... :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

Turns out you need to commit to classes, or make up lost time, and buy your own catwalk posebslls, and may need skins and shapes......

Well I don't mind having to buy the poseballs and animations, but I'm precious about how I look and won't willingly change my skin or shape.  So it's  a non starter.

Oh and did I mention that its L$5k to do the course? This is not RL...........I don't need the work...... :)

Not to mention you must adjust your height so you are 15 feet tall and so skinny, there would be no way you would even be alive looking like that

• Like 2

I’m a jurist for a monthly photo competition. I like how it’s run. The owner/organizer sends me a notecard once a month listing participants and things like theme, guidelines and rules for that month. 

I only know the organizer. I don’t know any of the entrants, any of the other jurists, and the entrants don’t know who any of the jurists are.

Sometimes the number of entrants is high enough to make judging difficult. 

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Hey! You would have been getting off cheap! 

Poseballs? WTF? Dunno what school you are looking at and don't much care but... RUN! don't walk away! RUN!

• Haha 1

What do you actually learn on a modelling course? Is it not just a case of getting a wide range of high quality skins/hairs/bodies/shapes and then AOs for poses and walks? Why would you need to pay someone to teach you to do that?

One reason I loved my employer was that while she required high-quality skin and hair, she didn't give a toss what size or shape you were. We had a couple of plus-size models and my shape, while not plus-sized, wasn't supermodel skinny.

7 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

What do you actually learn on a modelling course? Is it not just a case of getting a wide range of high quality skins/hairs/bodies/shapes and then AOs for poses and walks? Why would you need to pay someone to teach you to do that?

One reason I loved my employer was that while she required high-quality skin and hair, she didn't give a toss what size or shape you were. We had a couple of plus-size models and my shape, while not plus-sized, wasn't supermodel skinny.

Not that simple. You have to know what you are doing with them. And there are other things. Like what do you do when you are on the runway in the middle of a show and you are hit by lag? Just off the top of my head and before my first cuppa. There is just as much to learning how to be a model in SL as there is in RL. 

Modeling schools exist in SL for the same reason they do in RL. Surely you have heard of The Barbizon.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Not that simple. You have to know what you are doing with them. And there are other things. Like what do you do when you are on the runway in the middle of a show and you are hit by lag? Just off the top of my head and before my first cuppa. There is just as much to learning how to be a model in SL as there is in RL. 

Modeling schools exist in SL for the same reason they do in RL. Surely you have heard of The Barbizon.

No, never heard of it. Not exactly the same reasons as RL, surely...controlling and customising an av in SL isn't the same as using your face and body to create a certain aesthetic, especially if you're doing something like a bikini shoot in a ski resort.

So what do you do when hit by lag? I'd like to know, would be good to have a way of thwarting sudden baldness, walking on the spot and all the rest of it. 

14 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

No, never heard of it. Not exactly the same reasons as RL, surely...controlling and customising an av in SL isn't the same as using your face and body to create a certain aesthetic, especially if you're doing something like a bikini shoot in a ski resort.

So what do you do when hit by lag? I'd like to know, would be good to have a way of thwarting sudden baldness, walking on the spot and all the rest of it. 

For many of the same reasons, yes, but, not all. Other than your avatar being pixels and you don't have to bathe it or exercise it, you still have to create that "certain aesthetic" and know how to create it.

Most of the ladies in the beginner classes I took (which I didn't need) had no idea what to do, much less how to do it. My CWS graduating class had fewer drop outs than any of the others (or so I was told) because someone (I wonder who) took the initiative to "tutor" those who were struggling. 

What you do about lag depends on the situation. If you are trying to hit a mark and lag hits, you just do the best you can and stop where the lag lets you, do your poses and then move on to the next mark. It's really no different from a dancer on stage in RL going down. You recover as gracefully as you can and keep going. Even if it is on live tv, like what happened to me as a child. Somehow, according to others, I managed to make the fall look as if it were part of the choreography. But that was only due to the way I landed and it frikkin hurt. But you have to keep going unless you are so severely injured you can't. Ask Gelsey Kirkland about that. Or read her book Dancing on My Grave.

The point is, there is a lot to learn about modeling in SL just as there is a lot to learn about it in RL. You can't just jump in and expect to succeed without knowing what to do.

• Like 1

Oh....and there's this guy I hung out with once.......

I was wearing my Babewatch costume..... a high cut Baywatch style.

Next day he sends me an MP link for a more "realistic" cut Baywatch costume.

This one is like my mother would like.......

Wtf?... I guess thats negging (I had to look it up)......

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 2:38 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

It turned out to be the actual dress demo rather than a box and it promptly poofed giving a chat message of "DEMO: You are not allowed to rezz this demo, please wear only!".  The "poof" did not result in the item going into my trash - it just flat vanished.

I found that script at one of the shops that sell scrips. I tested on an ordinary prim and it imploded when rezzing on the floor. I'd avoid those shops too that use that method.

8 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:
On 8/31/2019 at 2:38 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

It turned out to be the actual dress demo rather than a box and it promptly poofed giving a chat message of "DEMO: You are not allowed to rezz this demo, please wear only!".  The "poof" did not result in the item going into my trash - it just flat vanished.

I found that script at one of the shops that sell scrips. I tested on an ordinary prim and it imploded when rezzing on the floor. I'd avoid those shops too that use that method.

It's a one-liner in LSL: Basically "OnRez - llDie" - LL Die command deletes from the world instantly, does not go into trash, does not pass Go, does not even leave ashes behind. I *HATE* When creators use that. This is the benefit of owning your own place where you can turn OFF scripts (or find a region on Bellisseria and other places where scripts are turned off.)

Edited by Alyona Su

20 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

So I'm out with Skye, and as usual, she gets the hits...…….. 

So after a short seemingly normal chat she gets this...…….

Guy: how come you two are not owned by right Master?

Skye: What???

Guy: :P

Skye: Are you from Gor?

:ph34r:

I really need to go outside more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

Guy: how come you two are not owned by right Master?

I have not heard the "right master" line in years!  All I get are guys trying to submit to me :(

No one wants to talk.  No one wants to dance.  They just want me to spit on them while they kiss my boots. 

Sorry, I didn't intend to make it a whine for attention.  Just an observation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I have not heard the "right master" line in years!  All I get are guys trying to submit to me :(

No one wants to talk.  No one wants to dance.  They just want me to spit on them while they kiss my boots. 

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

So is "right master" a thing? I thought it was bad English.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.