What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, animats said:

They're for people who want to put up walls or windowless buildings. If you want a private space, areas like that are built for it. Like a skybox, but at ground level and with more prims.

Whatever they are meant for, they are not meant for people who want to get their land solely from LL instead of a third-party.

46 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Whatever they are meant for, they are not meant for people who want to get their land solely from LL instead of a third-party.

Right. Which is why LL should offer Isolation Islands like that. Like buying your own sim from LL, but smaller. Different rules than mainland, to encourage total isolation from your neighbors.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, animats said:

Right. Which is why LL should offer Isolation Islands like that. Like buying your own sim from LL, but smaller. Different rules than mainland, to encourage total isolation from your neighbors.

UPDATED: OK, I reread this a couple of extra times and have now updated this response.

I doubt LL would offer these because it would not be popular unless it was a lot cheaper than paying tier on regular mainland.  I cannot see that happening personally.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

27 minutes ago, animats said:

to encourage total isolation from your neighbors

Except for one thing. That isn't what SL is about. Those who want to be isolated, already are. Those who don't, aren't. That isn't going to change as long as people have a choice between mainland and private estates. If you start trying to force this kind of stuff on people... you think SL is a wasteland now. You haven't seen anything yet. Of course, if your end goal is SL and Sansar shutting down, well... keep on trucking, I guess.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh for cripe sake animats ...

Go. Build. It. Yourself.

No seriously, if you hold such a narrow minded view (and it is narrow minded) then go build your own Grid.

Gads .... 

ETA: Oh yes, and before you mouth off, do try giving this post from this very thread a read, you might find that your overall attitude is quite covered by at least one entry there.

Also, the only reason I bothered to respond to you this time is because Selene partially quoted your drek, spurring my curiosity to see just what you'd said.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I think it's pretty obvious why most of those parcels are empty. I wouldn't want to live there either. There is nothing appealing about those parcels. 

@animats
Ever thought about the possibility, isolation island tennants maybe tend to live downtown or other places they dont really want to be in real life, and in SL they just want to escape that circumstances? Maybe their home gets shaken every minute by a passing tram train, or they have neighbours from hell already? Who knows.
Well, the current situation is not bad at all: You stay far away from that islands, and the island prisoners dont have to deal with you as a neighbour, or any neighbours at all. Thats what i call a win-win situation. :)

I know, my post must look like im deeply offended, but thats not the case, not at all. I have my own isolation island turned into a public hangout what even will appear in the destination guide anytime soon.

Besides that, Second Life´s theme is still "your world, your imagination".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Pet Peeve #14
Someone: "If you have Fire Storm you can <standard viewer function>"
Me: Any viewer can do that so what ever your using is fine.
Someone: "Yeah but only FS can <do this other basic function>."
Me: That's in LL's viewer too.

There seems to be no end to what people like to feel superior about, does there? I'm on a FB group for photography tips. If you use anything other than Black Dragon that qualifies you to be a "lesser than." Um. Ok? BD doesn't run on my computer (never have figured out why, as it should). Sure, it takes nice photos, but there are some real issues with it. But say "this is a raw screenshot taken with Firestorm" and it is all "switch to BD" or "I only use BD." Oh, and raw vs Photoshopped images, that's another one. 

Wait. Wut? Does this mean you use the LL viewer? Zomg. I have to stop commenting to you. . .

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Wait. Wut? Does this mean you use the LL viewer? Zomg. I have to stop commenting to you. . .

The majority of time while bumming around, yes.  I like it best.  I realize I am in the minority here and I will also tell people FS is a better viewer to use.  Just not for me.  I do use FS some.  Maybe it's just my perception but I like the way it responds to windlight better .... plus the vast amount of presets it has stock.

I will use BD from time to time if I am serious about taking a picture for something special.

• Like 1

I confess, I haven't read the last 26 pages so I don't know if this one has been covered already, but mine is from a newbie perspective as I've only been in SL for about a week.

When I search out gifts and freebies I often end up zoomed in to it using the Area Search. When I click the gift it often gives me a link as I am not already a member, fair enough.

My peeve is when places do not offer a group join when you click it and not already a member, they just tell you that you need to be a member of a group, but offer no link to join. What makes matters worse is then glancing around there is no group join button to be found. It's then a game of hunt the group join button and while doing so I lose my zoom on what I was after.

Long and windy. Hope it made sense.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ZoeChanning said:

I confess, I haven't read the last 26 pages so I don't know if this one has been covered already, but mine is from a newbie perspective as I've only been in SL for about a week.

When I search out gifts and freebies I often end up zoomed in to it using the Area Search. When I click the gift it often gives me a link as I am not already a member, fair enough.

My peeve is when places do not offer a group join when you click it and not already a member, they just tell you that you need to be a member of a group, but offer no link to join. What makes matters worse is then glancing around there is no group join button to be found. It's then a game of hunt the group join button and while doing so I lose my zoom on what I was after.

Long and windy. Hope it made sense.

a little trick i use:

a gift set to a group will show that group on its description(first window when you go into edit mode on any object)

click the VIEW button next to that name and the group join window will pop up

Emma :)

• Like 2

Out shopping. Spent plenty of L$ to make me smile. For one reason or another I have to sign out.

Sign back in and try to find what I just purchased. "Sh..!, what did I buy?" Attempts to recall the name of that cute pair of pants and shirt...no chance of finding it fast. This makes me either spend time eyeing my inventory list or TP'ing to the shop (Fameshed or 88, for example) I was at and finding the product name.

I wish the LL could somehow work a radio button in the inventory box listing the last 10-20 purchases by date (place them on top of the inventory list maybe?).

I know I could create a folder to drop new purchases in it, but sometimes I don't think that far ahead.

1 hour ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

I wish the LL could somehow work a radio button in the inventory box listing the last 10-20 purchases by date (place them on top of the inventory list maybe?).

Custom search filter. I use it all the time when i lose recent things Ive just purchased. Set to 1 day.

Edited by ananoelle
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

There seems to be no end to what people like to feel superior about, does there? I'm on a FB group for photography tips. If you use anything other than Black Dragon that qualifies you to be a "lesser than." Um. Ok? BD doesn't run on my computer (never have figured out why, as it should). Sure, it takes nice photos, but there are some real issues with it. But say "this is a raw screenshot taken with Firestorm" and it is all "switch to BD" or "I only use BD." Oh, and raw vs Photoshopped images, that's another one. 

Pet Peeve #1
That quoted #14 is actually my number one. I find it incredibly frustrating to remind people over and over that feature X is not coming from TPV Y but actually from LL.

Pet Peeve #2
People not simply asking me for help on a matter regarding my Viewer...making me rage all day... leading into:

Pet Peeve #3
People saying something along the lines of "i dont want to waste your time" or "i'm sorry to disturb you" or "sorry for being dumb". Just because i'm sitting on a powder keg doesn't mean i'll blow up the moment you waste my "oh so precious" time. That's what i'm here for after all.

10 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

The majority of time while bumming around, yes.  I like it best.  I realize I am in the minority here and I will also tell people FS is a better viewer to use.  Just not for me.  I do use FS some.  Maybe it's just my perception but I like the way it responds to windlight better .... plus the vast amount of presets it has stock.

I will use BD from time to time if I am serious about taking a picture for something special.

Pet Peeve #6
Having to tell people that Windlights are not a selling point of any Viewer as they can be easily moved from Viewer to Viewer and having less starting Windlights is only a sign of some organization rather than what people often perceive as "missing" or "lacking" features. You can always fill any Viewer with as many Windlights as you want (that is until it explodes, if it ever does) but don't make a smaller selection of presets a Viewer problem, it isn't.

---

Pet Peeve #4
Having to explain people in a lengthy and very techy explanation why the back of their head is flickering through their front because they otherwise think its the Viewer's fault.

Pet Peeve #5
Patch Notes. Specifically unreadable ones, unreachable ones or otherwise "missing".... Linden Labs is pretty good at that... not allowing a vast majority of people accessing the corresponding Jira's...

There are probably a million more...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NiranV Dean said:

Windlights are not a selling point of any Viewer as they can be easily moved from Viewer to Viewer

Now there's a feature  that would be sweet -- a way to import settings (windlight or otherwise) form any other viewer currently installed with just the click of menu option.

7 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Now there's a feature  that would be sweet -- a way to import settings (windlight or otherwise) form any other viewer currently installed with just the click of menu option.

Now that's an idea... i'm currently working on windlight stuff... maaaaaybe i can squeeze this in somewhere. Detecting other viewer's appdata windlight folders should be easy (your custom presets) they are usually always in the same folder, detecting their system presets however is tricky the moment the Viewer is not installed in its default folder on either the same drive or C

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NiranV Dean said:

Pet Peeve #69
Not knowing whether i should answer to this or not. Curiosity tells me i should ask you who's this referring to?

It doesn't refer to anyone and wasn't intended to be answered. Its sole intent was to be amusing before it got too deep in here and the thread gets locked.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.