Second Life on Steam?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

no but we'r always prepared to help you and report the post.

Sure go for it, i don't really care. If you want to stay ignorant thats not my business. Someone else might find it helpful to deal with them. 

I know what SL is, i been around for 2 - 3 years, seen everything SL has to offer, may they be roleplay, business, sandboxes, clubs and so on. Talked to alot of people, know what backgrounds they have, why they are on SL, what they want from SL. Those are just some of the points i heard from them. 

There is a ton of drama on SL, people with PTD, Anxiety, Mental Health issues, Handicaps and the list goes on. Its not a very happy place of rainbows and unicorns as some may believe. Atleast you can help those people by letting them know of threats that may bring them more pain. SL is supposed to be a place where people can relax after work, chat, hangout and meet other cool peeps. 

Edited by Dqhp8507
  • Haha 1

Accounts with Linden as their last name are the only Moderation or Administration accounts here. Everyone else is a user of the service, many of us with long years of experience where Second Life, Linden Lab itself and even the forums are concerned.

Until Steam loses its reputation as a games repository and rearranges its system to have proper categories and categorization for what they offer, neither Sansar nor Second Life - nor any other similar bit of social software - belongs on Steam. At all.

The idea that the only exposure non-users have (or that their primary exposure) to Second Life consists of Griefer/Troll videos on YouTube is .... Ludicrous at best. As is this idea that older content being for sale still is some major detriment.

Can't be arsed to do more than just download a client and log in, expecting some miraculous experience? Shove off.

Oh, you've been a user of Second Life for about three years and actually think you've seen everything?

No, you haven't. You really haven't. No one has.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Accounts with Linden as their last name are the only Moderation or Administration accounts here. Everyone else is a user of the service, many of us with long years of experience where Second Life, Linden Lab itself and even the forums are concerned.

Until Steam loses its reputation as a games repository and rearranges its system to have proper categories and categorization for what they offer, neither Sansar nor Second Life - nor any other similar bit of social software - belongs on Steam. At all.

The idea that the only exposure non-users have (or that their primary exposure) to Second Life consists of Griefer/Troll videos on YouTube is .... Ludicrous at best. As is this idea that older content being for sale still is some major detriment.

Can't be arsed to do more than just download a client and log in, expecting some miraculous experience? Shove off.

Oh, you've been a user of Second Life for about three years and actually think you've seen everything?

No, you haven't. You really haven't. No one has.

Sure i have, i experienced everything there is, feel free to tell me i have not. I seen all the good and bad sides of SL, i been trough some really weird and creepy stuff in the darker parts of SL. Even seen what illegal things are going on, LL seems to deal with most of those though. Child and animal sexual abuse is some i can mention.

Anyhow, SL needs to be reworked and cleaned up, more guides for newcommers to be setup, theres a ton of things that people are confused about when they first enter. Where to find good avatars, where people are hanging, what viewers to use...

Edited by Dqhp8507
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

As for graphics, SL needs to update it mainland areas or any public LL owned ones to actual mesh instead of sculpties or prims from the old days

Contrary to popular opinion amongst clueless "leet gamer noobs", most of the Madlands "fossil tech prim-waste" areas are in fact NOT run by LL, but by the people who "bought" that land to use as they see fit, and LL won't be replacing other peoples houses and shops with anything, least of all expensive custom made meshs...

36 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

SL also needs some serious cleanup and do something about the traffic meters. Right now the most traffic goes to places with AFK adult sims, where people sit around on furniture and get tipped from sexual activities or places with bots everywere. Traffic needs to be redone to monitor how active people are instead, by moving around, chatting, or voicing.

I love the way you define "active" as only being people who move around, chat and use voice-spam.

Many people in SL spend time not moving around, or chatting because...

They are cammed half a sim away shopping the low lag way, or editing the sim build to put in nice new mesh, or deep in their inventories sorting stuff, or writing scripts, or in 7 different IM conversations and 3 group chats, and because they only have ONE pair of hands with which to operate their keyboard.

28 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

And why it matters, it matters because people want to be around places were people are actually active, to find people to talk to or hang around. Not deserted places where people refuse to talk or just stand around for days doing nothing. It is what makes them leave quickly again.

Again... When I'm logged into SL, it's MY time, and my dime... Not yours.

You have NO RIGHT to expect or demand that I talk to you, instead of doing whatever it is I'm doing.

I've actually had this sort of crap from people inworld.

I was on a pose stand, editing some attachments I'd just boought from the vendor board by the pose stand (which the merchant thoughtfully provided for their customers), when one of the "active is moving and voicing" morons wandered past.

The moron accused me via IM of being a bot, because I wasn't moving around, or voicing.

I told the moron that...

1. I wasn't a bot.
  2. I wasn't moving around or chatting because I was editing my appearance, and until he wandered by I was the only person in the store, and I NEVER use voice-spam.
  3. to fornicate off and fornicate himself to death rectally with a chainsaw, sideways, andleave me alone as I was busy.

If you want to make demands on MY time, pay me for it, I'll talk to you for an hourly fee. Otherwise I'll CHOOSE who Iwant to speak to, thanks all the same.

20 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

And im doing a good thing to put them out there,

Actually, no you're not...

A griefer griefs, gets reported, gets banned and makes a NEW ACCOUNT... Any "names" you publicise will be out of datew before you have finished typing them, so it helps NOBODY in-world, all you are doing is showing where to find the videos on SpewTube, thus increasing their hits and encouraging them to make more.

• Like 6

That's nice - meanwhile reality is that you haven't. Period.

See, Second life is constantly changing: Sims being redesigned or going offline, users coming and going along with all the oh so lovely changes (mostly personal) that general interaction brings in.

It's a bit like saying you've seen or experienced everything the real world has to offer. No, you haven't and stating otherwise - no matter how many times you do so, changes noting. At all.

You're not the first user to pull that here - or on other forums. You won't be the last. And all of you are lying, without exception.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Contrary to popular opinion amongst clueless "leet gamer noobs", most of the Madlands "fossil tech prim-waste" areas are in fact NOT run by LL, but by the people who "bought" that land to use as they see fit, and LL won't be replacing other peoples houses and shops with anything, least of all expensive custom made meshs...

I love the way you define "active" as only being people who move around, chat and use voice-spam.

Many people in SL spend time not moving around, or chatting because...

They are cammed half a sim away shopping the low lag way, or editing the sim build to put in nice new mesh, or deep in their inventories sorting stuff, or writing scripts, or in 7 different IM conversations and 3 group chats, and because they only have ONE pair of hands with which to operate their keyboard.

Again... When I'm logged into SL, it's MY time, and my dime... Not yours.

You have NO RIGHT to expect or demand that I talk to you, instead of doing whatever it is I'm doing.

I've actually had this sort of crap from people inworld.

I was on a pose stand, editing some attachments I'd just boought from the vendor board by the pose stand (which the merchant thoughtfully provided for their customers), when one of the "active is moving and voicing" morons wandered past.

The moron accused me via IM of being a bot, because I wasn't moving around, or voicing.

I told the moron that...

1. I wasn't a bot.
  2. I wasn't moving around or chatting because I was editing my appearance, and until he wandered by I was the only person in the store, and I NEVER use voice-spam.
  3. to fornicate off and fornicate himself to death rectally with a chainsaw, sideways, andleave me alone as I was busy.

If you want to make demands on MY time, pay me for it, I'll talk to you for an hourly fee. Otherwise I'll CHOOSE who Iwant to speak to, thanks all the same.

Actually, no you're not...

A griefer griefs, gets reported, gets banned and makes a NEW ACCOUNT... Any "names" you publicise will be out of datew before you have finished typing them, so it helps NOBODY in-world, all you are doing is showing where to find the videos on SpewTube, thus increasing their hits and encouraging them to make more.

Read my posts again. Im not personally attacking you if that is what you believe, im simply stating what people think and want. I don't know who you are or why you are quoting my posts. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

more guides for newcommers to be setup, theres a ton of things that people are confused about when they first enter. Where to find good avatars, where people are hanging, what viewers to use...

the best guide to SL is TIME, the want it and want it yesterday, and for free people will never get used to it.
When new people enter they should not hunt for the best avatar, not for the best viewer but for the basics how SL works, and áfter that all the rest.
It took "us" years to get the full hang of things and still every time find things that are new.

It will be nearly impossible to do so, but as in the "old days" ( that you never experienced) you needed some very basic skills before you even were able to enter the whole grid. It would be a real good thing to have something like that again.

• Like 3

Now for your oh so lovely edit after the fact: Even when they had a far more comprehensive new user area up and running, there were those who came into Second Life and somehow managed to get through those areas without actually learning a single thing.

Where to get a "good" avatar? Why, that's up to the End User - no one else.

What client program to use for connecting to Second Life? Also up to the End User.

Where to go/where people are hanging? Up to the End User to decide on the first variant, up to the End User to discover on the second.

That is part of the point of Second Life: It is what you make of it.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

the best guide to SL is TIME, the want it and want it yesterday, and for free people will never get used to it.
When new people enter they should not hunt for the best avatar, not for the best viewer but for the basics how SL works, and áfter that all the rest.
It took "us" years to get the full hang of things and still every time find things that are new.

It will be nearly impossible to do so, but as in the "old days" ( that you never experienced) you needed some very basic skills before you even were able to enter the whole grid. It would be a real good thing to have something like that again.

I heard from someone SL used to have way more people, mostly due to how small areas were, with only the mainlands and not the huge range of dead private sims, new people found quickly where others hanged and built. They also told me most people worked together, creating new things rather than splitting apart and starting new clubs or sandboxes that die within a week. Everyone wants to make their own things and when it doesn't work, they leave SL for good. 

Yeah it took me about a week to learn how SL worked or were to go. Someone teached me how Firestorm worked and i been using it since, helps alot and offers more than the standard viewer does, such as flying in no fly zones or seeing who cams on you. Requires quite a bit of time to learn how to operate SL and that can be a problem for new users if they have a low attention span. 

Edited by Dqhp8507

20 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

Sure i have, i experienced everything there is, feel free to tell me i have not. I seen all the good and bad sides of SL, i been trough some really weird and creepy stuff in the darker parts of SL. Even seen what illegal things are going on, LL seems to deal with most of those though. Child and animal sexual abuse is some i can mention.

So, you've averaged visiting over 63 different regions a day every day in the last three years, with no repeats?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

So, you've averaged visiting over 63 different regions a day every day in the last three years, with no repeats?

I tend to avoid dead sims, mostly visited the ones that are actually active or have people in them, seen some places that are still around but completely abandoned, not sure how those people pay for those sims, they are insanely expencive to keep up. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

rather than splitting apart and starting new clubs or sandboxes that die within a week.

This is not a new thing

4 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

Everyone wants to make their own things

Not everyone but correct me if i am wrong...  everything in second life is made by residents.  Isn't that the point? 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

This is not a new thing

Not everyone but correct me if i am wrong...  everything in second life is made by residents.  Isn't that the point? 

Yeah it is i guess, its nice that people can be creative and make their own things, but in turn, some become anti social or refuse to work with others, creating a competetive scene where no one trusts one another. 

Another thing i forgot to mention is the copy botting that happens in SL, creators don't have any kind of security to prevent it since there are viewers that simply bypasses it. Alot of creators left due to copy botting. Everything gets copy botted, avatars, houses, clothes, vehicles and other types of objects, some just gave up on creating anything for others.

Edited by Dqhp8507
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

I tend to avoid dead sims, mostly visited the ones that are actually active or have people in them, seen some places that are still around but completely abandoned, not sure how those people pay for those sims, they are insanely expencive to keep up. 

It's quite impressive how you've spent 24 hours a day in Second Life and are fluent in languages like Russian, Portuguese and Japanese.

• Like 2

Just now, Cindy Evanier said:

Your World.  Your imagination.  Mean anything to you?   You seem to want to dictate what people should be doing in their SL.  

No im simply stating a few problems that LL should look into to make SL a better place. If you don't like what i say, simply don't reply to me and ignore me. Íts easy. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

not the huge range of dead private sims

there are no dead private sims, but they are what the name says : private, there's always somebody paying for it and he does with it what he wants. If that is no public function doesn't mean it's dead.
I had a sim for most of the time i been here, but indeed private, for my own use, not for horny chasing shadows noobs.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

Read my posts again. Im not personally attacking you if that is what you believe, im simply stating what people think and want. I don't know who you are or why you are quoting my posts.

I don't have to read them again, they were rubbish the first time and that hasn't changed.

Why am I replying to your rubbish? Because it's rubbish that needs correcting.

You claim only people who move and voice are active, you are wrong.

You claim that you have some entitlement to be spoken to by people you encounter, you are wrong.

You claim that listing griefer-trash SpewTube channels is a "public service and a force for good", you are wrong.

You claim that LL should take responsibility for editing privately owned land and it's contents because YOU don't think the contents are attractive enough or modern enough, you are wrong.

9 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

I heard from someone SL used to have way more people, mostly due to how small areas were, with only the mainlands and not the huge range of dead private sims

Private regions are not "dead", because unlike the Madlands, when a private region becomes "dead", that is nobody uses it or PAYS FOR IT anymore, LL SWITCH IT OFF and its GONE.

Any private region that currently exists, is being payed for, with real money by a real person. Not DEAD, just because there wasn't a crowd of ignorant spewtubers voicespamming each other there when you happened to wander past.

Again, you were wrong.

12 minutes ago, Dqhp8507 said:

They also told me most people

Well done! You found some old 2005-2008 era fossils by the sound of it, one of those who lament the so called "golden age" when you could get RL rich just by logging into a "game" and "noobs knew their place", and there wasn't any of "this mesh-stuff, which is of the DEVIL", and everyone had "proper last names".

Just because they told you a load of idealised mis-remembered crap, from long ago, doesn't make any of it actually true.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.