Bebe, it's cold outside . . .

Storm Clarence

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I asked my friend Bebe to stop by my sim for a chat.  I have a wonderful parcel on a winter sim on Sansara.
We seemed to really warm to each other over the course of a couple of hours chatting.  I really like her, but (there is always a but) her fiends do not like me at all.  And we discussed this. 
She seemed to have some issue of betraying her friends because of the pressure she felt from them to terminate her friendship with me. In the beginning we talked past this issue, but as the evening went on and it got kind of late she wanted to head home.  I really wanted her to stay - and I felt she, too, didn't really want to leave.

Our conversation went something like this:
For context, I merged our IM’s - she is chatting first and my reply follows.

I really can't stay - Bebe it's cold outside
I've got to go away - Bebe it's cold outside
This evening has been - Been hoping that you'd drop in
So very nice - I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice
My friends will start to worry - Beautiful, what's your hurry
My roommate will be pacing the floor - Listen to the fireplace roar
So really I'd better scurry - Beautiful, please don't hurry
Well Maybe just a half a drink more - Put some records on while I pour

The neighbors might think - Bebe, it's bad out there
Say, what's in this drink - No sleds to be had out there
I wish I knew how - Your eyes are like starlight now
To break this spell - I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell
I ought to say no, no, no, sir - Mind if I move a little closer
At least I'm gonna say that I tried - What's the sense in hurting my pride
I really can't stay - Bebe don't hold out
Ahh, but it's cold outside|
C'mon bebe
I simply must go - Bebe, it's cold outside
The answer is no - Ooh bebe, it's cold outside
This welcome has been - I'm lucky that you dropped in
So nice and warm -- Look out the window at that storm
Paddy will be suspicious - Man, your lips look so delicious
Lilith will be there at the door - Waves upon a tropical shore
My friends minds are vicious - Gosh your lips look delicious
Well maybe just a cigarette more - Never such a blizzard before

I've got to get home - Oh, bebe, you'll freeze out there
Say, lend me your coat - It's up to your knees out there
You've really been grand - Your eyes are like starlight now
But don't you see - How can you do this thing to me
There's bound to be talk tomorrow - Making my life long sorrow
At least there will be plenty implied - If you caught pneumonia and died
I really can't stay - Get over that old out
Ahh, but it's cold outside

Bebe it's cold outsid
Brr it's cold...
It's cold out there
Can't you stay awhile longer Bebe
Well... I really shouldn't... alright
Make it worth your while Bebe
Ahh, do that again..

So she stayed, and we had a wonderful evening on this beautiful winter sim on Sansara.

Fade to today: her friends are trying to ban me from Sansara.  What’s your opinion?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Who could resist such a sweet-talkin' guy.  Of course Bebe will rule in your favor and explain (gently, patiently) to her friends that you're not the dude they think you are.  My advice is to throw a party and invite Bebe and her friends.  That hot tub in the snow would be a good gathering place (clothing optional?--maybe not this party).  Some good food, drink and conversation might do the trick as it worked on Bebe, eh?

P.S. Don't ask why I know about that hot tub. |:

I have to admit to being a little tired, and even bored, by discussions of this song. And that's because, in large measure, those who evoke it aren't all that interested in the complexities of the song itself: what they are instead doing is using it as a sort of litmus test. Which side are you on? Nail your colours to the pole! Are you for or against? Are you a misogynist, or a SJW?

What a dumb way to talk about it. And what a pointless hill to choose to die on.

In addition to being charming, funny, and kind of sweet -- and yeah, it IS all of those things -- it also should be understood as a sort of historical document, an interesting re-enactment (albeit through rose-coloured glasses) of the kinds of negotiations in which women once had to engage in order to express their own sexuality.

But that was the 1940s, when social mores and expectations required that a woman who wished to engage in extra-marital sex required some kind of "excuse," which in this song is handily provided by the male singer. And yes, the song does veer dangerously close, without actually crossing the line, to a depiction of what euphemistically used to be called "seduction," i.e., coercion or even rape.

Surely we can enjoy the song, while simultaneously understanding and acknowledging that this does not represent where we are or should be now?

Liking the song is one thing; celebrating it uncritically, as though this scenario represents some kind of golden age of sexual relations that really, we should get back to, is quite another. I don't know about you, but if I want express my sexuality, I want to be able to do it openly, in my own voice, and without fear that, unless I try to find a good "excuse," I'll be labelled as "fallen woman."

As for trying to silence the song . . . well, if we're going to censor all art or culture that doesn't express modern social mores, we're not going to have any art or culture left but that produced within the last 10 years or so. And in the process, we'll be losing our own history, and reducing the complexity of lived human experience to a series of bland prescriptions.

This is where we came from. Play the song! Sing it! Enjoy it!

Just don't imagine that we're ever going to go back to a time where it could be seen as a normative exemplification of the social position of women.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Does this mean the OP actually had a point other than being threatened with a sim ban? O.o

Silly...

He's an old lastnamer, and certainly old enough to know that some "chicks" circle of friends can't get him banned from an entire Madlands continent simply for being addicted to Alpha-Male Superiority BS...

He's just started this thread to try and stir up a row with "feminazi-sjws who deny the superiority of the Alpha Male" over that 1940's song.

Posting history is so important when understanding the purpose of "oddball threads".

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

He's just started this thread to try and stir up a row with "feminazi-sjws 

Mhmm, he was this one in Scylla's baldness thread...

16 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

I am establishing the superiority of the alpha male when it comes to friends - as your OP asked in discussion.  What I wrote is a fact, and there are no alpha males who find this distasteful.  Alpha's survive on friendships and leadership.  My friends are my friends and there are other alpha's in our circle - we don't contend for superiority - we enjoy our friendships.

I find it interesting how people tend to pick on a single thing, such as this song, when there are so many examples of something that could be taken completely wrongly out there in the world that never seems to receive much attention. Lets look at a Johnny Cash song called I''m On Fire. The lyrics start as :

"Hey little girl is your daddy home
Did he go away and leave you all alone
I got a bad desire
I'm on fire"

I mean....if you read ALL of the lyrics for that song....COULD be taken as being pretty rapey and even pedophile like. How do you decide which songs to hate and which to like. And why is it such an issue that a song from the 1940s has the content it does when you take it as being a product of its era. Up until very recently (and some cases still modern) tv shows were rife with racism, sexism, rape jokes, transphobia, homophobia...take your pick. Yet most of this gets ignored for a random ass song from the 1940s?.

Baby it's bad out there

Say what's in this drink

Baby it's cold out there

I really should say no

Baby it's cold out there

I really should go

Baby it's cold out there

I'm slurrin' my wordths

Baby it's cold out there

I'm having can't trooble rhymes

Baby it's cold out there

Everyfing's fuzzy...

9 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

Lets look at a Johnny Cash song called I''m On Fire.

Now you lost all respect I ever had for you... The late Cash may have covered the Springsteen classic, .... duh the youth of today...

"We have fallen upon evil times

and the world has waxed very old and wicked.

Politics are very corrupt.

Children are no longer respectful to their parents."

inscription on an Chaldean tablet, as translated by Prof. Patrick

Edited by Fionalein

2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Now you lost all respect I ever had for you... The late Cash may have covered the Springsteen classic, .... duh the youth of today...

"We have fallen upon evil times

and the world has waxed very old and wicked.

Politics are very corrupt.

Children are no longer respectful to their parents."

inscription on an Chaldean tablet, as translated by Prof. Patrick

My apologies, I will brush up more on my "old people" music in future 😜

Ah well, if we are gunna pick on old songs based on one verse (hey what's in this drink), then even this song is really very dubious...

No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

The French one is worse btw.

Qu'un sang impur
Abreuve nos sillons!

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Fionalein said:

@Madelaine McMasters can easily change that, don't provoke her to do so.

I would never, ever even think of FLAMING Madelaine McMasters: the absolute master of flaming!   I know it's cold outside, but if posting history has anything to do with circumstance, I will relent.  And I am penitent.

Edited by Storm Clarence

On 12/12/2018 at 11:15 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

... it also should be understood as a sort of historical document, an interesting re-enactment (albeit through rose-coloured glasses) of the kinds of negotiations in which women once had to engage in order to express their own sexuality.

But that was the 1940s, when social mores and expectations required that a woman who wished to engage in extra-marital sex required some kind of "excuse," ...

^^ yeah that ^^

is still a few people today who think there is something wrong with women who say yes to sex when asked straight out. And something more wrong, evil even, with women who just flat out ask first

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ellestones said:

^^ yeah that ^^

is still a few people today who think there is something wrong with women who say yes to sex when asked straight out. And something more wrong, evil even, with women who just flat out ask first

Of course it's wrong, they might have asked others before asking them...

It is all part of the "men who had much partners are to be admired, women who had more partners are to be despised" bigottery.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

Of course it's wrong, they might have asked others before asking them...

It is all part of the "men who had much partners are to be admired, women who had more partners are to be despised" bigottery.

Dunno about that, I’m pretty reluctant to tell people I’ve lost count of RL partners.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.