Equipped items randomly moving to Lost and Found folder

Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently some of my items started to get moved to the L&F folder a lot. I was always expecting only to find returned stuff in there but now worn items like cloth and mesh body parts seem to get moved over there on random...

I have no idea what can cause this, can it be the result of crashes?

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

Recently some of my items started to get moved to the L&F folder a lot. I was always expecting only to find returned stuff in there but now worn items like cloth and mesh body parts seem to get moved over there on random...

I've had that happen, and I too believe it's due to crashes (or, if you don't fully crash, connection issues). My suspicion is that the system sees it as a "dropped" (but not fully dropped, at the same time-make sense?) item, and therefore it belongs in lost and found. I can almost understand the logic behind it, I just don't think it really works as intended, if it's indeed intended. I can't remember reading a thread about it on here yet, but it might have been mentioned at some point.

It used to be that sometimes after a crash or corruption, items in your inventory would end up outside the Inventory folder and you'd have a merry dance getting them back inside before you could put them back where they belonged. I think sending orphaned inventory items to the Lost and Found folder was a deliberate fix for that issue.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I've lost my hair a couple of times lately following teleports.  I never thought to look for it in Lost and Found, but maybe that's what's happening.  Just started in the last few days.

No, it doens't dissapear,  it just moves. Even the links to it in the saved outfits remain intact.

10 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Kitty is lossy!

8 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

It used to be that sometimes after a crash or corruption, items in your inventory would end up outside the Inventory folder and you'd have a merry dance getting them back inside before you could put them back where they belonged. I think sending orphaned inventory items to the Lost and Found folder was a deliberate fix for that issue.

That still happens now and then , or, I should say I have seen it happen. However, I haven't been able to reproduce it intentionally, so I'm fairly certain it's just an obscure bug and plenty of other conditions need to exist in order for it to happen(so, it's more rare than other bugs). In fact, I'd go as far as saying those conditions are so specific and obscure that no one is really certain where to look for them(on the backend). Since we, well *I* can't repro it intentionally (haven't seen anyone else able to either), bit hard to work on fixing it, lol. 

The items going to lost and found happens more often, though not SUPER Often, it happens, and at least the reasoning behind it makes a wee bit of sense "icky bug hits-probably due to a connection issue/temporary pause in system to system communication, sl system declares item has no home, item needs a home, I'll give it a home, in the L&F, lol". It's better than losing the item altogether, which we all know happens, but it's still a bit of a pain now and then. 

16 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Sounds more like a connection got reset/hiccuped. Odd thing is I got one of those messages this morning when I clicked to go to the next page in a thread, then the page loaded without me having to refresh or do anything.

I wouldn't worry about it much unless it starts happening frequently.

• 5 months later...

This just happened to me today as well. I didn't crash while I tped and I only tped once yesterday. This morning I found what I am wearing in the lost and found folder.

I had to put them back to their original folders. It's very annoying and should not happen.

Items should never be moved by any means even a crash or a viewer side error, they should be Interface controlled Only and I do not feel safe about my purchases now. Who knows if I had lost something and I did not notice?

Having them in the Lost and Found folder give me the impression they were "Dropped" not even rezzed (otherwise they'd be copies and originals would have been in place) Then they have been returned by LL.

This is very scary!

• 3 years later...

I am having this problem excessively too recently.

Given the thread, I suspect it might be related to using Alchemy Viewer through Wine on a Linux device, where I have recurring "invalid file descriptor" errors, causing the Viewer to crash. Nothing else has changed since the issues started happening.

Still strange that a crash would have such an effect...

I don't know that I am having this more recently, but it is frustrating and can result in important things being lost when cleaning out the lost and found folder if no copy. Paws and eyes from furry avatars,  dance huds, jewelry etc.

I found my teeth in there, for a week I was going around without my teeth in, no one mentioned it to me, presumably amused to see me looking less than my best !

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I don't know that I am having this more recently, but it is frustrating and can result in important things being lost when cleaning out the lost and found folder if no copy. Paws and eyes from furry avatars,  dance huds, jewelry etc.

I found my teeth in there, for a week I was going around without my teeth in, no one mentioned it to me, presumably amused to see me looking less than my best !

I admit I sat here at my lunch break laughing loud while reading this x3 it's bad that no one told you tho x3 I will check my lost and found as soon as I log in after work 😂

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.