Inventory catastrophe with Firestorm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but here's my problem.

I'm using the Firestorm 5.0.11 viewer, and yesterday I experienced the worst case of inventory loss that I can remember in all my years in SL. I seemed to having a laggier than normal day and at some point I logged out to visit RL for a bit. When I logged back in later that evening, and was about to go out to a club, I noticed that everything in my animation folder was missing. Upon further investigation, it seems like just about everything that I wasn't wearing in my body parts folder is gone as well. The clothing seems to be there for the most part if it was in the clothing folder. Most everything outside the clothing folder is gone as well.

In the past, I've found that logging into the official SL viewer allows me to recover an article of clothing that's gone missing in Firestorm by wearing it there and then logging back into Firestorm. But no luck with the animations. Everything seems to be intact with the SL viewer, but even after opening all my dances and such, they are still not visible when I go back on with Firestorm. Also it would take me forever to recover my other items if I have to wear each one before it can be seen in Firestorm.

I've tried clearing the cache numerous times, to no avail. I was hoping things would be back to normal when I got home tonight, but there's no change. I can go back to using the SL viewer, but I've come to enjoy some of the conveniences of Firestorm and hate to part with it, but I can't live like this. Any thoughts or suggestions? Would re-installing or updating to the the newest version help?

Edited by Dementia Obviate

2 hours ago, Roxy Couturier said:

My suggestion would be to do a clean (re)install of firestorm. (Back up any chat histories you want to save first if you keep them with FS).

Google 'Firestorm clean install' for instructions.

Never do a clean install as a first solution. Clean install is a last resort.

First thing to do is check Inventory using the LL viewer. If it loads then there are other steps to take. Like clearing Inventory Cache (and only Inventory cache).

The link Par posted is the correct link but you do not need to use Method 2 except on the very rare occasion where Inventory has been lost (on your computer) rather than just didn't load fully. The vast majority of the time it is a case of Inventory not fully loading as opposed to items being truly lost. Your Inventory is still in the database and has not been lost by LL. Unless, of course, LL has experienced data loss. Thankfully that is an extremely rare occurence.

ETA: If nothing on the wiki page works then the OP should update to the newest release by doing a clean install.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Never do a clean install as a first solution. Clean install is a last resort.

First thing to do is check Inventory using the LL viewer. If it loads then there are other steps to take. Like clearing Inventory Cache (and only Inventory cache.

Normally, I'd agree, but she already tested LL viewer and had her inventory there and also had cleared cache. In her post she also hinted that she didn't have the most current FS version.

Clean install might be a last resort, but it's one that should fix the problem. And it's a fairly easy thing to do.

10 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Normally, I'd agree, but she already tested LL viewer and had her inventory there and also had cleared cache. In her post she also hinted that she didn't have the most current FS version.

Clean install might be a last resort, but it's one that should fix the problem. And it's a fairly easy thing to do.

A clean install isn't always the best thing to do. Why do a clean install if the issue with the inventory not loading is due to a problem with connectivity? Doing a clean install isn't going to help that one bit.

There is good reason for not doing a clean install right off the bat for just any issue, but I'll let you argue with the support team about it.

• Like 4

Since clearing cache has been mentioned:

Clearing Cache: The DOs and DON'Ts

Be picky about why and when you clear your cache. Clearing cache doesn't fix everything. In fact, it doesn't fix nearly as many problems as many people seem to think. And doing it when it's unnecessary has its drawbacks, including slower initial rez times and excess bandwidth being pulled, which can create sim lag. “Clear your cache” is something we'll recommend ONLY if the problem appears to be cache-related: that is, pertaining to textures or, once in a while, inventory. A full cache is almost always better than an empty one. Here is a basic “DO” list:

When NOT to clear your cache

Don't clear cache as a matter of routine maintenance. If there isn't something actually wrong with your cache, then this does nothing beneficial.

Don't clear it for problems unrelated to the cache. For example, it won't help for:

• teleport issues
  • asset upload issues
  • movement or communication problems
  • most kinds of lag
  • most kinds of crashes
  • a vast majority of bake fails
  • any problems concerning music, video or voice.

There are some exceptions (e.g., crashes related to textures), but in many cases, other causes are more likely, and clearing cache doesn't have to be the first measure. The list above is by no means exhaustive; its purpose is to provide an idea of how many common issues are unrelated (or only occasionally related) to cache.

When to clear your cache

• When many textures appear as distorted rainbows or psychedelic colors, you may choose to clear your texture cache.
  • When your inventory is not loading fully, you may choose to clear your inventory cache.
  • A cache clear may be part of performing a clean install of the viewer.

Note that often, only part of your cache needs to be cleared. While you can clear your full cache by clicking the button in Preferences, it is not hard to perform the needed part of the cache clear manually. You can find your cache folder by going to Preferences and then Network & Files → Directories. Click the “Open” button alongside the path to your cache files location. In there you'll see some files ending with .inv.gz – these are your inventory cache files – and a folder containing your texture cache. More information is here for Firestorm.

https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/cache

How to:  https://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_cache_clear

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

A clean install isn't always the best thing to do. Why do a clean install if the issue with the inventory not loading is due to a problem with connectivity? Doing a clean install isn't going to help that one bit.

There is good reason for not doing a clean install right off the bat for just any issue, but I'll let you argue with the support team about it.

Or I could let them argue for me. From FS D/L page: "If you experience any problems with your viewer after performing a basic install, our first recommendation is to reinstall with a clean install. A clean install is also the best way to avoid many potential issues the first time." Of course, YMMV...

Personally I'd do the clean install with the most current version. FS is a 3rd party viewer and sometimes older versions don't play well with LL updates. I'd rather go with the easy way instead of power cycling my modem and moving files from one program to another. Of course some folk enjoy doing 21 steps rather than one.

Except for FS settings having to be redone, what's the downside of a clean install vs. moving folders and power cycling your modem? I mean you're doing a bunch of steps to avoid.. doing a bunch of steps..

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The link Par posted is the correct link but you do not need to use Method 2 except on the very rare occasion where Inventory has been lost (on your computer) rather than just didn't load fully.

Did i just get it wrong, or how can i loose SL inventory on my computer as it is stored on the LL servers?

12 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Except for FS settings having to be redone, what's the downside of a clean install vs. moving folders and power cycling your modem? I mean you're doing a bunch of steps to avoid.. doing a bunch of steps..

Rebooting the modem? Speaking of last resort things to do. I would check the software before I check the connection. Especially if SL viewer shows normal inventory. So clean install before resetting modem and connection.

24 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Did i just get it wrong, or how can i loose SL inventory on my computer as it is stored on the LL servers?

Your machine holds a cache file that it checks each time you log in. While your actual inventory is stored server side, the manifest is kept on both the server and your computer - that is the cached file. Unless told otherwise, the client treats the cached manifest as the "real" one.

You haven't "lost" anything - it simply fails to be loaded.

4 minutes ago, lavalois said:

Rebooting the modem? Speaking of last resort things to do. I would check the software before I check the connection. Especially if SL viewer shows normal inventory. So clean install before resetting modem and connection.

You would be surprised how many internet related problems can be solved simply by rebooting your router/modem. There is a reason it is among the first few things technical support will ask about (where internet issues are concerned).

If the Linden Lab client shows normal inventory and a Third Party one does not, a clean install is not always required - clear out (manually if you have to) the various caches first. The only reason Firestorm's Download page has a recommendation concerning a clean install has to do with potential settings issues/mismatches and updated files occasionally not playing nice with older ones. It has nothing to do with general technical support and nothing to do with Inventory or other issues. At all.

A complete, fresh install/reinstall is the Nuclear Option - always has been and always will be, be it small scale software all the way through to the OS itself. It is the Last Ditch effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

If the Linden Lab client shows normal inventory and a Third Party one does not, a clean install is not always required - clear out (manually if you have to) the various caches first.

I never said it was always required. I said I would do a clean install before resetting my modem.

49 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

A complete, fresh install/reinstall is the Nuclear Option - always has been and always will be, be it small scale software all the way through to the OS itself. It is the Last Ditch effort.

I would say resetting the modem is the nuclear option, especially when everything appears to be as it should in SL viewer.

There is a big difference between resetting your router/modem and unplugging it/forcing it to power cycle (which is what is often meant when most Technical Support brings up "resetting" it).

The former is indeed a bit more Nuclear as it entails setting it back to Factory Default. The latter is nothing more than a power cycle or a quick restart/refresh of your internet connection (akin to power cycling your actual computer or similar hardware).  Hence why I said rebooting it - not resetting it. There is a difference.

Non OS level software should only be reinstalled as a last resort, prior to escalating your problem solving to OS level troubleshooting.

Much the same with some hardware: Power cycle/reboot comes well before a reset (if such is an option).

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

Nah, you're both wrong.  Clearing inventory cache, resetting the router/modem, and even a clean reinstall are all standard troubleshooting responses to inventory issues.

the NUCLEAR option is wiping your hard drive and reinstalling Windows and all your apps.

(I recently had to go nuclear.)

nuke.jpg.3ca69a5434a0b6d12cb494c49e752270.jpg

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Yep.  And I should also note, it was in response to some malware I contracted, NOT due to any SL problems.

Been there - last time was back in the XP days. I haven't used Windows since XP went EOL - partly thanks to not having a PC I can call mine.

Mind by "used" I mean as a daily driver. I have helped friends and family with their Windows PCs since that time - both in person and through remote applications such as Team Viewer.

Edited by Solar Legion

4 hours ago, Roxy Couturier said:

I have had this happen and it is simply a small corrupted file ( 99% likely and as others have said).  So that tip on the wiki should fix it.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.