Selling others peoples stuff.

Talligurl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am working on an art gallery, that would sell art made by others. I want to be able to deliver that art to the customer, along with a notecard that can contain a link to the original artists MP store, and also a landmark to an in world store, All that I can do by putting it all in a delivery box. I also want the original artist to receive 90 percent, with the store getting 10 percent, again that I can do. I have a couple pictures already set up to do this. Here is the issue, to do this I need to get a full perm copy of the art. I am wondering if there is a way to do this without having to get a full perm copy I would love to hear it. A couple of considerations, 

1. I want creative control over where the art is in the gallery, and the ability to move it without having to get the original artist involved.

2. I prefer that the art be displayed on the walls looking like painting on a wall, and not in those Casperlink things.

Thanks.

Am I right in assuming you want to be able to sell multiple copies of each piece of art?

If so, I can see your conundrum, and the only solution I can think of  (and this applies even without that being the case, lol) which would be just as problematic and annoying(I think) would be to have the artist rez it, give you rights to move when necessary and otherwise not let you have rights to move/edit objects (make sense?). I'm gonna watch this thread to see if there are any better solutions-I'm sure there are, lots of smart folks here. This could be very useful info in the future for me.  

9 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Here is the issue, to do this I need to get a full perm copy of the art. I am wondering if there is a way to do this without having to get a full perm copy I would love to hear it

The artist could put his "copy/nomod/notrans" art into a delivery box by himself and then give you the box back. Maybe?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

The artist could put his "copy/nomod/notrans" art into a delivery box by himself and then give you the box back. Maybe?

That won't work. You cannot give away/sell anything that you don't have transfer rights on. Even when using a vendor system.

3 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Talligurl said:

I am working on an art gallery, that would sell art made by others. I want to be able to deliver that art to the customer, along with a notecard that can contain a link to the original artists MP store, and also a landmark to an in world store, All that I can do by putting it all in a delivery box. I also want the original artist to receive 90 percent, with the store getting 10 percent, again that I can do. I have a couple pictures already set up to do this. Here is the issue, to do this I need to get a full perm copy of the art. I am wondering if there is a way to do this without having to get a full perm copy I would love to hear it. A couple of considerations,

1. I want creative control over where the art is in the gallery, and the ability to move it without having to get the original artist involved.

2. I prefer that the art be displayed on the walls looking like painting on a wall, and not in those Casperlink things.

Thanks.

I've sold art in a gallery in the past, with a profit split...

Standard way was to let the ARTIST hang the art in the gallery, and they hang a special vendorised version...

The vendorised version has a "no mod/no trans" payment split script YOU made and gave to the artist in it AND a copy of the 'retail version' of the art & NC & LM,  and is set to sell a copy of the contents, so when a buyer clicks the painting they get a copy of the retail version of the art with whatever permissions the artist chooses (copy/mod, no copy/trans, whatever) but NOT a copy of the no mod/no trans payment split script.

If you want control over whats hung where, Friend the artist, and get them to give you edit rights, so you can edit the items position.

Edited by Klytyna

I've been commissioned in the past to make a wearable for a musician to give to his fans. He wanted me to make a poster that could be used to distribute the wearable as well. Of course this was given free to fans, but it certainly would have been easy enough to include a script for commission had it been sold. The problem was that he needed to be able to rez the object at his concerts, so of course he needed to "own" the poster. But I did not want my work to be given out full perm. I could have given him edit rights but to be honest that's not something I like giving out and would have been a deal breaker for me. The solution was for me to pass him the poster and clothing item full perm and have him change the permissions on the items after receiving the them. I then checked if he'd set permissions correctly. The key is working with someone you trust to not abuse or steal your work because the item was passed full perm. 

If you have a relationship with the artist and trust is given then perhaps this would be the solution in your case.

• Like 1

Delivery script. He puts down a server somewhere on the grid with the art in it. You put down a vendor. When the vendor gets paid, it shares profit with him and it asks the server to make the delivery.

Everyone keeps their own perms that way. 

You'll probably need to hire someone to write a custom script for it if you want a good, clean script. Otherwise you could probably cobble something inefficient together from the MP. 

• Like 2

Maybe you can do like event owners do? Setup everything (including pictures with frames) and simply invite artists to sell their work there. 

And I meant that you design the whole setup, move frames to the place you want them to be (you can even take snapshots of the photos you plan to use on certain frames so that when you move it around, you get the feeling of how its going to look once the photos are out there for sale) and only after you have everything setup, you invite artists to come over and setup their vendors or whatever method of sales they prefer. It's not much different than event setup.

I don't believe you can make this happen without involving the original artist. At least a little bit :) Involving the original artist is good, at least how I see it. I know it's hard to get creative people leave their platforms and actually spend some time with real people but if you can make it happen, you will probably get some great new friends! 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.