The "We know it so well we think others know it" Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

25 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

If you go to a sim that has damage enabled, you hit a bad/rough sim crossing, the sim you're n goes down, someone uses some kind of weaponry on you, you hit a security orb that boots ya in the butt....whatever have you, the end result is typically that you go

A-flying to the 0.0.0 point (I call it the trash corner...years ago, lots of things used ot end up there when things went wonky on a sim), or at least the edge of the sim-sometimes you get stuck, sometimes you don't (I love watching people flail at this point, most especially myself)

or

B-Home, or to whatever your home is set to (infohub if you have none, I believe)

YOU ARE NOT DEAD. YOU WERE NOT HARMED. NO ONE ACTUALLY HURT YOU. 

Phew! I run into this one a lot, especially in sandboxes, doesn't even matter the av's age newbies and oldbies alike freak out at things like this. I promise, you'll be ok, even if you're angry, frustrated, ready to throat punch someone, whatever your reaction is. I tend to tell people to laugh it off, because it's probably not going to be the last time that happens.

Laugh at your misfortunes or drown in the tears you shed worrying over them. In sl, this is a no brainer...it's friggen comedic gold most of the time :D

Up until the all caps I thought your post was going to have some good techniques (other than relogging) on how to deal with bad sim crossing (like slow down before hitting the crossing). Sorry. I just don't see this as being helpful, which is the point of posting the things you do automatically that others haven't learned about yet. To me, it comes across as being more critical than helpful. Not at all what I had in mind when I started the thread. :(

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Up until the all caps I thought your post was going to have some good techniques (other than relogging) on how to deal with bad sim crossing (like slow down before hitting the crossing). Sorry. I just don't see this as being helpful, which is the point of posting the things you do automatically that others haven't learned about yet. To me, it comes across as being more critical than helpful. Not at all what I had in mind when I started the thread. :(

Shrugs

You might not find it helpful, but the countless at this point people I have run into that need this info, seem to disagree. I'm going with them :D

It doesn't seem to be information a lot of folks know. So, I think it fits, and I'm gonna leave it there 😛 

I also think helping people laugh at their own misfortunes, of which there are a LOT in sl, is absolutely amazing advice and things lots of us do automatically that some folks may not realize. It's ok to laugh when someone turns you into this...and it's ok to laugh at other people if it happens to them too. Laughter keeps us alive 😛

978826709_Snapshot_MadnessRadioIslandInodis(18219312).png.46f4294e75fd132557ed17b531ce9ca9.png

95911371_Snapshot_MadnessRadioIslandInodis(20815312).png.763a2921139b14f7c969b88fb847d431.png

Edited by Tari Landar

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

good techniques (other than relogging) on how to deal with bad sim crossing (like slow down before hitting the crossing).

There are a few ways to improve region crossings, vehicle users know them, but people new to fun things like sailing often don't.

The first is to understand what happens. When you come to the edge of a region and cross into the next all of your scripts are paused, you are stood up, you are teleported to the new region, all of your clothes are reattached and all of your scripts are restarted. You are sat back down into the vehicle. All of this has to happen before the vehicle moves 64 meters, if it takes longer then that you end up on the ocean floor.

To help those steps happen quickly, remove as many scripts as possible (no AO, use descripted hair). Remove as much mesh as possible, all that jewellry takes time to re-attach after the hidden teleport.

And a big one try to let one region crossing complete before you start the next one - which means stay away from corner crossings.

If you are riding a bike, or driving a car Firestorm also has a nifty (optional) pause mode, which healp you steer a straight line as you cross regions. It's worth trying.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Shrugs

You might not find it helpful, but the countless at this point people I have run into that need this info, seem to disagree. I'm going with them :D

It doesn't seem to be information a lot of folks know. So, I think it fits, and I'm gonna leave it there 😛 

Frankly, I don't think anyone finds being yelled at helpful. All caps is still considered yelling in text and rude. I don't think that has changed. 

I didn't ask you to delete it. But I will ask that you, please, use one of the other forms of emphasis that are available and lose the all caps. (Bold, italics, underline, font color.)

3 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Selene did you think about something along this line: "Undeform avatar will only fix it in your viewer it will not affect what others see." 

The post was edited after I made my reply. All that was added while I was typing my reply.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

Frankly, I don't think anyone finds being yelled at helpful. All caps is still considered yelling in text and rude. I don't think that has changed. 

I didn't ask you to delete it. But I will ask that you, please, use one of the other forms of emphasis that are available and lose the all caps. (Bold, italics, underline, font color.)

Hmm, I thought these were sl forums, for sl residents, weird. Mea culpa forum owner, mea culpa ;)

(and yes, that was me being a smartass)

Good thing no one that's ever had to read me type those words out has been offended....

Oh

Dangnabit...sigh

• Like 1

Yes, I have owned a few forums in the past 20 or so years. That has nothing to do with attempting to keep the thread on topic for at least the first page or two.

I've failed in my endeavor for a helpful thread covering the little things most don't even think about anymore that new(er) people may not have encountered yet. Nothing new there.

2948-1232806875.gif.b5dd7f4acc551fb12a99d650804d2ea5.gif

Selene, it's a lovely idea for a thread. "I wish I knew this when I started" threads always are, and they do help people!

On the forums, it's best to think of threads like a small bird. Hold it in your hand and guide it gently and it will flourish and be wonderful...
...Or it might just poop all over you, then peck at your fingers.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tari Landar said:

it's friggen comedic gold most of the time

This! I am called crazy or nuts all the time when I tell people I usually create prim and sit on it and then laugh while watching the griefers do their script-kiddy things. Agriefer's entertainment should also be your own. Because you can always TP somewhere else, or (more importantly) just hit the X )or Red Dot on a Mac) and then relog. They're often gone by the time you come back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Selene, it's a lovely idea for a thread. "I wish I knew this when I started" threads always are, and they do help people!

On the forums, it's best to think of threads like a small bird. Hold it in your hand and guide it gently and it will flourish and be wonderful...
...Or it might just poop all over you, then peck at your fingers.

I posted and made threads on SLU for 9 years... and survived. ;)

• Thanks 1

@Callum Meriman mentioned sailing (lotsafun by the way, you MUST try it if you haven't, and sorry @Selene Gregoire : I shouted, but, but, I HAD TO) -

ANYWAYS... sometimes totally bizarre things happen when crossing regions (I usually laugh when it happens) - like somehow ending up in the next sim or two or three away from your vehicle, but you are still sitting in it as it keeps going, and you cannot stand up and stuffs! The only thing you can do is relog or wait (I think my longest wait was like ten minutes). And even then you have to relog.

BUT if you were just unseated and find yourself underwater or on the side of the road or railroad tracks while your vehicle keeps going you can usually Cam way up high, double-click ahead of your vehicle to TP into that sim, then sit on your vehicle again and continue on! Bahaha. But you can only do that if you were bumped completely off. And you have to be fast with the TP bit. Depending on how the vehicle is scripted you will gain full control again or partial control, or no control then it becomes your own personal Yava Pod. :)

I was once bumped and just let my boat go and relogged home. I got a system message three hours later that my boat was finally returned by the system. In some region I never heard of. Look on the map, my sailboat was a ghostship over 17 sims! Hahahahaha!

No wait... I did a SL oldbie no-no... it crossed 17 *regions*, not sim. More like two sims. ~snorts~

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Yes, I have owned a few forums in the past 20 or so years. That has nothing to do with attempting to keep the thread on topic for at least the first page or two.

I've failed in my endeavor for a helpful thread covering the little things most don't even think about anymore that new(er) people may not have encountered yet. Nothing new there.

2948-1232806875.gif.b5dd7f4acc551fb12a99d650804d2ea5.gif

A lot of people, especially new ones, haven't encountered these issues, and when they do, they freak out, get upset, all kinds of things really. I WAS on topic, and have remained so. Just had a convo with a very long time forum reader, sl user, who only just encountered this kind of issue herself a few days ago.  She even told me "I freaked out and got p***ed", because, well, that's what happens sometimes when things go wonky on us(or we think they do, lol). So, yep, I'm sticking with ..it's not something everyone knows, and good advice to have in your back pocket. Had someone not told ME years ago-I would've probably kept getting annoyed by it(and likely annoying anyone around me while complaining about it, lol), had I not run into this issue with lots of other people over the years(mostly sandboxes and while out traveling the slrr and roads, I dunno about others' experiences), it might not even occur to me that this is something people don't think about, or don't know. It's been long enough since I experienced it to know it's probably not something people think about, just a second reaction. Why not take a few seconds and laugh about it, instead of being utterly frustrated? 

My other bit of advice, to not take one's self too seriously and always allow room for laughter, is the absolute best advice someone has ever given me in life. I port that over to all aspects of my life. It's also very much on topic, lol. 

Aside from my use of caps, which we've covered and I'm cool with agreeing to disagree on that one, what exactly is off topic? Is it because it's something *you* yourself don't think about, so you don't think anyone else will either? Something you've never encountered and therefore can't understand how it could be useful advice? Don't enjoy laughing at your own misfortunes?(I get that one, actually, sometimes it's hard)

Those aren't rhetorical or me being a smartass this time, I actually do want to know. I thought it very sound advice when I got it years ago, and I consider it to be so today when I share it with others. I've not encountered someone that thought otherwise, so I'm intrigued now. 

• Like 1

1) To expand on the sitting on something so a griefer can't move you - if you suddenly realize that you need to quickly sit down and you are wearing mesh clothes or mesh hair or a mesh body - right click on whatever you're wearing that is mesh and choose 'sit down' from the menu. This results in a ground sit.    (I don't know if this is viewer specific, but works with both FS and LL viewer).

2) Locking your house is a good suggestion, but sometimes a house has multiple parts not hard linked together.  Whenever you rez anything from a rez box, after you have things positioned where you want them, and before you delete the rez box - go into edit mode on the rez box and copy the position and rotation values, and put them in a notecard in the inventory folder where you keep the rez box.  If you should ever need to re-rez the item at the same location, you have the position and rotation values to re-rez exactly where it had been. 

3) When I'm traveling on roads, I usually have the mini-map up in the corner of the screen, so that I can see when I'm close to a region crossing.  The thing that I have found most helpful in region crossings is, once you start the crossing and you realize you're scooting off who knows where  - take your hands off of the mouse or keyboard.  The rubber-banding generally quickly corrects itself and leaves you back where you need to be. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

I made this Homeowners Guide long ago for people new to things like locking your house, aligning to the grid, editing linked prims, etc.

https://lagalleriasl.com/sl-homeowners-guide/

That's a nice little handbook, Pam.  May I include the link in the class handouts for my Land and Rentals class?

I have a few curtain sets that I use on some windows, but a lot of time I make my own curtain or shutters which are made so that I can always see out, but others can't see in (from a camera position outside the house - I know that people can always cam in to the interior). 

I create a prim, move it into the window frame area (but not 'into' the window glass).  I stretch it to cover the window's height and width, and then I reduce it's depth so it's very skinny.  I texture it first with a fabric texture or a window shutter texture*.  Next, while still in edit mode, I choose 'Select Face' and select the side facing into the room (of the window covering I just created).  I then switch to the texture tab, click on the texture box and then select from the inventory library, texture folder, the '*Default Transparent Texture'.  After selecting the texture I change the Alpha mode dropdown value to "Alpha Masking" and set the mask-off at 75.  

* The current Linden Home regions each have an infohub for each  of the LH Themes.   The infohubs have a vendor for texture packs for their theme.  These are free and provide a selection of building textures including window shutter textures (from the Tahoe theme pack).  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moirakathleen said:

1) To expand on the sitting on something so a griefer can't move you - if you suddenly realize that you need to quickly sit down and you are wearing mesh clothes or mesh hair or a mesh body - right click on whatever you're wearing that is mesh and choose 'sit down' from the menu. This results in a ground sit.    (I don't know if this is viewer specific, but works with both FS and LL viewer).

[...]

Both the LL viewer and Firestorm give you the Sit Down option in the menu when you right-click on either your system avatar or any mesh or prim attachments, including HUDs. (You might need to click through a few More... options to get there if you're using pie menus.) Also, you can hit Alt+Shift+S to sit. And you can use these to sit even if you're in mid-air, flying, falling or jumping.

• Like 3

Here are some simple things I remember now:

1. When you get stuck on an animation, right click your avatar and select Reset Animations.

2. Do not feed trolls. They just want attention, if you don't give it to them, they'll get bored. Block button is your friend.

3. If you use Firestorm viewer, you can press CTRL+ALT+P to enable Movelock and prevent being moved or pushed by others.

4. When you try a mesh head for the first time, you better start using the shape provided in the head's folder.

5. If you use FS viewer, you can use Favorite Wearables window on Avatar menu to list your most used items, like some HUDs. It's useful to have quick access to them without the need to have them attached all the time.

• Like 5

Now that I have the RL stuff out of the way (for now) here are a few I came up with:

• Always allow your inventory to fully load before teleporting to another location after login.
  • Right click on things (and people) to learn about them and see how things like buildings are put together.
  • Regardless of what you may have read or heard, not everyone is in Second Life for sex. It's not a good idea to start off conversations with “wanna have sex?” nor is it a good way to make friends. Get to know the other person over a period of time that is more than 5 minutes. Relationships don't happen overnight.
  • Don’t feel discouraged if you don’t ‘get it’ right away. You may spend months attaching boxes to your head, distorting your shape, and all manner of other weird and wacky things before you get the hang of how to use and enjoy Second Life. The learning curve is a bit steep and it does take time to get the hang of things. Second Life is a huge playground where you can be what ever strikes your fancy and to build whatever you want. Your only limit is your imagination (and the ToS).
  • You don't have to friend everyone you meet. You can offer your calling card and/or ask for theirs. This shows that you understand there are boundaries, but you would like to keep in touch, and maybe form a more lasting friendship over time. Calling cards can be given by right clicking an avatar and then selecting More from the pie menu then Give Calling Card.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

When passing a risque picture to someone, it is best to right click it and share to their name from your invent instead of trying to drag it to their avatar as sometimes especially in confined spaces you might let go too soon. Especially if its a public place where you have mod rights or own the building.    (don't ask me how I know this)

I've half-made this mistake. It wasn't a risque picture, but I did cover a good 60% of a "security lounge" with the Wood Planks texture from Minecraft.. i have a screenshot of the incident, will add it later.

By the way, you can use WASD to move and Ctrl to pivot your camera while Alt-Camming.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

2 hours ago, DemeraraGirl said:

4. When you try a mesh head for the first time, you better start using the shape provided in the head's folder.

That's very good advice! It's way easier to adjust the included body to your likings, and then move on and make small changes to the face to personalise the look.

Some basic human anatomy:

• Your head is 5 eyes wide. There is 1 eye width over your nose bridge. This can be difficult on some mesh heads, but do your best :D
  • Your mouth corners would normally come to your inside pupils if you are caucasian/asian, and to the outside of your pupils if your avatar is african descent. A smaller mouth for a doll look is always quite acceptable
  • The bottom of your bottom lip is exactly half way between your nostrils and chin.

And a hint not many know of:

• For Catwa heads, the outside eye corners are rigged to your eyebrow bushiness, to stop the sideways S eye look, adjust your bushiness. It's on your hair base, under eyebrows.
Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.