Remedy for Unilip - Mesh Heads - Help Needed

FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I am on my second mesh head.  I am only one week into mesh heads.  So I am a total noob.

Okay, I am having difficulty adjusting the mesh head UPPER lip to not look like a "unilip" for lack of a better word.  

I am getting terrible results in trying to put an indent in the upper lip.

When I try, it looks "clowish".

Any suggestions?

(pic included)

Please excuse shape.  It's just beginning.  I've been working on it about two days now.   I still have to fix eyebrows and all kinds of stuff.  

Second photo is Cleft Depth 63 and lip cleft at 0 - the narrowest it will go.

Snapshot_017 (2).png

Snapshot_030 (2).png

Edited by FairreLilette

It's a Catwa.

I spoke with the group Catwa chat just now.  They seem to think it's the skin I am wearing but that is not the case as I put on the default Catwa skin and the "cupid's bow" is not much better with the Catwa skin.  It's not well defined.   I told them perhaps a lip lining on the upper lip could help define the cupid's bow and maybe I could find a lipstick.

I have the slider on 0 in the second photo, so that's the smallest cupid's bow I can make.  

I didn't know this when I purchased it that you couldn't make a lot of lips like the Classic.

I need smallish lips at times for doll looks and other varieties.   I don't want only large lips.

There are two sliders that change that option, one of them makes the cupid bow, the another changes the width of the upper lip. Sadly I'm not in SL right now so I can't tell the name but they are probably the bottom 2 sliders (ignoring the very last one).

54 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Great.  Do you remember which one?

Oh, yes...her name is Catwa Strawberry...

In the photos, that is not a Catwa skin BUT it is the Catwa Lipstick.  The cupid's bow does not seem well defined.  I see a highlight at the top of the lip but it needs a darkness on the cupid's bow for the highlight to show up, imo.  

Let me look again at this lipstick with the Catwa Strawberry skin.  

I think I need another lipstick though with the cupid's bow better defined.  

26 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

The cupid's bow does not seem well defined.

Yeah, I'm getting that as well.  The lips are rounded off and there is only so much that can be done.

This is what I have come up with so far ...

Lip Width  56
Lip Fullness  44
Lip Thickness  28
Lip Ratio  56
Mouth Position  50
Mouth Corner  50
Lip Cleft Depth  29
Lip Cleft  33
Shift Mouth  50

It's still not what you are after but it is better.

[ETA]
Well, never mind because my slider values look real close to the first picture.

Back to the drawing board

Edited by Rhonda Huntress

1 hour ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

There are two sliders that change that option, one of them makes the cupid bow, the another changes the width of the upper lip. Sadly I'm not in SL right now so I can't tell the name but they are probably the bottom 2 sliders (ignoring the very last one).

Yes, in my first post, I stated:  I have cleft depth at 63 and lip cleft at 0.  

If I have it at 0, that's the narrowest cupid's bow I can make.

I will check for other sliders as soon as I log in, but I don't think there are any other than the two I am using in the photo and as stated in the OP.  

Now, 

I am going to attach more photos.

First photo is Strawberry with the Catwa shape and skin it comes with.  There seems to be a line at the top of the lip above the white.

Second photo is Strawberry Head, my shape and my chosen skin WITH LIPSTICK set to transparent.  This is the lips the skin comes with which is nice but I need something more defined especially a cupid's bow for the upper lip because there is enough highlight above the lip but it needs something to define the highlight there by using something darker so it doesn't look like a unilip sometimes.  

Snapshot_036 (2).png

Snapshot_038 (2).png

14 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Yeah, I'm getting that as well.  The lips are rounded off and there is only so much that can be done.

This is what I have come up with so far ...

Lip Width  56
Lip Fullness  44
Lip Thickness  28
Lip Ratio  56
Mouth Position  50
Mouth Corner  50
Lip Cleft Depth  29
Lip Cleft  33
Shift Mouth  50

It's still not what you are after but it is better.

[ETA]
Well, never mind because my slider values look real close to the first picture.

Back to the drawing board

Ha!  

Yeah, there isn't much that can be done with the sliders but half of Second Life is a magical illusion.  I am sure there are some lipsticks I could find.  It's needle/hay though a lot of the time!

That's why I am asking.

I need a bit of darker on the cupid's bow because there is enough highlight on the skins already.  But, I don't want a stark lip liner.  I'd like a more subtle lip liner look that's more illusion than lip liner.  

It's the shape of the mesh. If the lips aren't pretty much the way you like them out of the box, as far as the cupid's bow, you aren't going to be able to change it much with the sliders. Changing lipsticks that will reshape the bow helps but it too has problems when the light hits the lips in certain ways as it will cause a shadow to be cast where you do not want it. I like a well defined cupid's bow, and only recently have I been able to achieve the look I wanted and it was changing lipsticks. I use a Catwa Lily head.

Here's a pic of my lips. The arrows point to where the shadow falls sometimes. You can barely see it in this pic, but that's at about as bad as it gets. Typically it doesn't bother me at all. 

lips.jpg.22b8adfcbb578a552bd1805948d1bbf3.jpg

I'd prefer a deeper bow but I can live with this. Before the bow was basically non-existent. Lipstick is from Pink Fuel. You might have to use a base lipstick that matches your skin tone to hide the actual lip line.

Edited by Blush Bravin

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

It's the shape of the mesh. If the lips aren't pretty much the way you like them out of the box, as far as the cupid's bow, you aren't going to be able to change it much with the sliders. Changing lipsticks that will reshape the bow helps but it too has problems when the light hits the lips in certain ways as it will cause a shadow to be cast where you do not want it. I like a well defined cupid's bow, and only recently have I been able to achieve the look I wanted and it was changing lipsticks. I use a Catwa Lily head.

Yes, I like a well defined cupid's bow also.  

I have been trying demos for lipsticks but came across a skin I thought I would try, and sure enough the skin creator has created a cupid's bow here.

Look at this following picture:  It's a pretty good cupid's bow.  I am not sure I am interested in the skin BECAUSE right now I am looking to do photos of Angels, Fairies and the "Doll" look and don't need a tan as I'd like the Angels to illuminate and I need a light skin to do that as I want a black night and stars behind the Angels.  It's a nice skin, but tones are not colors I need at this time.   I thought her light was just too light.  But, thought I'd pass it along.

I am sure there has to be a lipstick that is going to work for me.  It's just going to take time.  

Edit in close up of lips.  I haven't changed lip size.  It's just a good fit on these particular skins.  At least I have a go to if I can't find anything else.  I like these lips!  This is tone 2 in the pics.  Tone 1 is extremely light imo.  

Snapshot_049 (2).png

Snapshot_047 (3).png

Edited by FairreLilette
Edit in second photo for close up

Beautiful lip! YS&YS makes beautiful skins. Blush wears a YS&YS and Debi, my main, wears a Skinnery. Keep looking! There are lots and lots of very good skins out there in the very pale tones. You'll find the perfect one. It just takes patience. :)

Oh one thing to consider. If the palest tone from YS&YS is just a tad bit too light and since you wear both a mesh body and head you can tint the skins of both to get it a bit darker. I would not suggest doing this unless the amount you want to tint is very minimal because you do loose a lot of the details in the skin if you tint too strongly.

10 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

finally one thats not having a duck face, or look like glued to a glass plate and it's not ok .... who understands women.... :)

Maybe the Kardashian's bought out Second Life?

You mean millions of these lips in the lipstick section? 

I honestly could care less about the Kardashian's and their lips frankly except I don't personally find them attractive lips.      

kardashian (2).jpg

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Beautiful lip! YS&YS makes beautiful skins. Blush wears a YS&YS and Debi, my main, wears a Skinnery. Keep looking! There are lots and lots of very good skins out there in the very pale tones. You'll find the perfect one. It just takes patience. :)

Oh one thing to consider. If the palest tone from YS&YS is just a tad bit too light and since you wear both a mesh body and head you can tint the skins of both to get it a bit darker. I would not suggest doing this unless the amount you want to tint is very minimal because you do loose a lot of the details in the skin if you tint too strongly.

Oh, they tint.  That's cool.  I did not know that.  

I like a lot of her "fantasy" skins also.  

Thanks a bunch!  

I definitely have these skins on my radar.

But, it is enough with the "Kardashian lip" already, imo.

I would not wear it nor do I find it attractive.  

On 12/10/2018 at 5:52 PM, Ethan Paslong said:

finally one thats not having a duck face, or look like glued to a glass plate and it's not ok .... who understands women.... :)

Catwa offer more diversity than ever, it's not just one mouth to rule them all now. What people buy is a whole different picture. I, for one, hesitate to switch heads because of the price. I am sure others think the same and are used to the lips.

New head buyers perhaps only hear about the Catya head, the oldest with ducklips. So they buy what are recommended for them, or they see all the products for "Catwa Catya" and think that's the head with best options.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.