Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

You can make a surface shiny from the texture tab by clicking the drop-down field that normally says "diffuse texture" and changing it to "specular" and then choosing from a range of values in the further field, but there is no way in SL to actually cause a reflection of the avatar in a surface.  Most of the dressing table or wall mirrors simply use a texture to try and replicate the glaze of a mirror.

 

If you want to create a snapshot of your avatar apparently looking at their reflection in the mirror you will have to do it outside of SL using image-manipulation software.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

You can make a surface shiny from the texture tab by clicking the drop-down field that normally says "diffuse texture" and changing it to "specular" and then choosing from a range of values in the further field, but there is no way in SL to actually cause a reflection of the avatar in a surface.  Most of the dressing table or wall mirrors simply use a texture to try and replicate the glaze of a mirror.

 

If you want to create a snapshot of your avatar apparently looking at their reflection in the mirror you will have to do it outside of SL using image-manipulation software.

That's a pitty.. Thank you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can fake a mirror using projectors but it won't reflect your avatar. The effect is pretty cool though. You must have ALM enabled for these projector mirrors to be visible.
Instructions here: https://modemworld.me/2018/05/12/projectors-as-mirrors-in-second-life/

Real mirror reflections *are* possible, but it would require code changes to the viewer.
There is proof of concept code given on STORM-2055 - Real mirror reflections on prims
It's fun to play with if you can self compile your own viewer - see video below.
Unfortunately LL don't seem  very interested in adding real mirror reflections to SL.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not hard to implement in software, but it takes an extra rendering pass, like shadows, so it slows down the frame rate. It's rarely seen in video games.hitmanmirror.png.ec127255b3af616d5a746826a8e75e4e.png

One of the few working mirrors in a video game - from Hitman. When games do have mirrors, they're usually not too big, and the number of objects they reflect is kept low. Big shiny building reflecting images of a city off the glass, no.

If you want mirrors which can reflect image from other mirrors, another rendering pass.

Or ray-tracing hardware. The NVidia GeForce 2080 has ray-tracing hardware. Costs over $1000. Nothing supports this yet.

So it can be done, but not on a large scale cheaply.

There was a fashion show in SL within the last year where the entire build was repeated, upside down, underneath a transparent prim, to get a reflecting pool effect.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, animats said:

It's not hard to implement in software, but it takes an extra rendering pass, like shadows, so it slows down the frame rate. It's rarely seen in video games.

"Sims 2" had working mirrors more than 12 years ago.

11 hours ago, animats said:

When games do have mirrors, they're usually not too big, and the number of objects they reflect is kept low

One of the expansion packs added "ballet school" full height wall mirrors, so you could build an entire wall covered in reflective glass. Custom content makers added mirrored floor and ceiling tiles too.

11 hours ago, animats said:

The NVidia GeForce 2080 has ray-tracing hardware. Costs over $1000. Nothing supports this yet.

Sims 2 Mirrors ran on standard nvidia cards that cost $60-$100, 12 years ago...

11 hours ago, animats said:

There was a fashion show in SL within the last year where the entire build was repeated, upside down, underneath a transparent prim, to get a reflecting pool effect.

Actually, that "trend" is more than 7 years old, there was one merchant who made a mirrored version of their entire store.

Unfortunately, she also made her own mirrored vendor boards, complete with scripts, so her place lagged like a swine...


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Klytyna said:

"Sims 2" had working mirrors more than 12 years ago.

And working mirrors in Sims 2 also lagged your system as hell if your system wasn't on par.

3 hours ago, Klytyna said:

One of the expansion packs added "ballet school" full height wall mirrors, so you could build an entire wall covered in reflective glass. Custom content makers added mirrored floor and ceiling tiles too.

And the more mirrors you added, the more lag was caused.

3 hours ago, Klytyna said:
14 hours ago, animats said:

Or ray-tracing hardware. The NVidia GeForce 2080 has ray-tracing hardware. Costs over $1000. Nothing supports this yet.

Sims 2 Mirrors ran on standard nvidia cards that cost $60-$100, 12 years ago...

Not relevant. Sims 2 didn't use ray tracing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a way to make a working mirror in SL for pictures, though. But it involves building your entire set on its side, using SL water as your mirror, and adapting your windlight settings to craete a mirror in the water.

It's all explained in Strawberry Singh's blog. Do note the post is over 6 years old, this method may have been broken by software updates since.

https://strawberrysingh.com/2012/08/11/mirror-mirror/

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lavalois said:

There is a way to make a working mirror in SL for pictures, though. But it involves building your entire set on its side, using SL water as your mirror, and adapting your windlight settings to craete a mirror in the water.

Nice idea... if i forget to detach my avatars physics, some body parts will look pretty windswept.
 

11 minutes ago, lavalois said:

And working mirrors in Sims 2 also lagged your system as hell if your system wasn't on par.

We already can choose in the graphic settings and within the "photo tools", if we want to use shadows or the advanced lighting model, for example. Why that wouldnt work with a mirror surface? Leave it up to the user, if he/she wants to toggle a mirror button, or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mirror, mirror... on water surface... it works well and is not even laggy.

Here is a real reflection of the avatar on water surface. No photoshop tricks.
58e661b26d57c_IcarusWings.jpg.aba16a45ba8d4abf590762c4f1080924.jpg


And here is a real mirror reflection using Linden water as the mirror surface. No photoshop tricks.
SL-Water-Mirror.jpg.5767e46fd2402cc9424e50d6c83e1032.jpg


One more. Again real reflection on water.
SL-water-reflection.jpg.ea48cbcb7ab7671e8603edf8ddaed027.jpg

When sailing I always keep all water reflection on. Does it cause lots of lag? No it doesn't. How it reduces fps is barely noticeable. In all above picture cases the fps drop is also barely noticeable. So mirrors are possible in SL. And they wouldn't cause lots of lag if used wisely. And naturally if LL made mirror surface available, then the viewer should have the possibility to turn mirror reflections On/Off, just like it is now possible to do that with water reflection.

Why LL doesn't give us mirrors? It must be something else than the often mentioned lag.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...