Jump to content
Lucierda Solari

Any Updates on BOM?

Recommended Posts

The BOM viewer was updated 2 days ago.

The best way to keep up to date with what's happening with BOM is to attend the content creation user group. The next meeting is this coming Thursday.

I doubt very much whether we'll see BOM promoted to an RC viewer before Christmas, it's still pretty buggy.
Users of the BOM viewer will be bake failed to all observers - see BUG-225925 - [BOM] Observers on a BOM viewer will always see you bake failed each time you change bake.
 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone please enlighten me what i would use BOM for?
I searched the internet a bit and found out, it was meant to bake the mesh avatar skin and all the applied textures into one single texture, what sounds not bad at all...
Then another user said, thats not the case anymore. Its just made to be able to use old system layer clothes on a "modern" SL®️ mesh avatar.
Right?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Can someone please enlighten me what i would use BOM for?
I searched the internet a bit and found out, it was meant to bake the mesh avatar skin and all the applied textures into one single texture, what sounds not bad at all...
 

This is correct.

1 hour ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Then another user said, thats not the case anymore. Its just made to be able to use old system layer clothes on a "modern" SL®️ mesh avatar.
 

This is incorrect. What really makes this incorrect is the use of the word "old". BoM will allow us to use system layers, any system layers regardless of when made, on the skin layer of mesh avatars. The purpose is to add skin details to a base skin as well as tattoo and even clothing, if you like many don't, to the skin layer of the mesh avatar.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

BoM will allow us to use system layers, any system layers regardless of when made, on the skin layer of mesh avatars. The purpose is to add skin details to a base skin as well as tattoo and even clothing, if you like many don't, to the skin layer of the mesh avatar.

Ok, i can bake any system layer onto my mesh body...
But does BOM also work with applier textures? Like underwear or tattoos for Omega, maitreya, etc...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Ok, i can bake any system layer onto my mesh body...
But does BOM also work with applier textures? Like underwear or tattoos for Omega, maitreya, etc...?

BoM does not work with appliers. Oz Linden has not totally ruled out the possibility that in the future it might be doable, but as of now, no it won't. But remember those appliers use regular old textures (or the UUIDs of those textures) to create the appliers. So creators have the textures and can make system layers for those products that are applier only products. I'm one of those creators and have begun adding system layers to my packages on all new creations in preparation for BoM. I will be updating my best sellers that are applier only packages to include system layers once BoM is really here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I will be updating my best sellers that are applier only packages to include system layers once BoM is really here.

I hope you are not the only one doing this :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was there 🙂 The latest on BOM is that there are three things required to get it out:

  • appearance service update. The main affect of this is that it should fix the black textures issue. This change is now in testing, will be rolling out soon if all goes well.
  • simulator update. This is only needed for one small scripting change, to add abbreviations for the latest BOM texture IDs so they can be used in scripts without giving the explicit values. Hoping that will go out by the end of May.
  • viewer update. BOM viewer needs to be updated with the latest contents from the current default viewer and tested. That update will likely be going out as an update to the BOM RC viewer next week, and then going out as the default viewer once we have enough testing against it, and after the other two items above have been released.
BOM will likely be the next viewer to be promoted to default, as it's currently closest to ready for release.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I make appliers uses current uuid's from our assets right now for the skins,   how will this affect those of us heavily invested in the body and applier markets?   anything I need to change or do here or can I continue on as normal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I make appliers uses current uuid's from our assets right now for the skins,   how will this affect those of us heavily invested in the body and applier markets?   anything I need to change or do here or can I continue on as normal?

You can get started right now. Simply create new system skins. The same way you create a new shape or notecard, etc. I would recommend creating matching system skins for each of your aplliers and including them with the applier, then just update your descriptions with "Includes system version; Bakes on Mesh-Ready" - this will make a great selling point, especially once BoM is released, there will be the mad rush and first-movers always do best in sales.

The primary reason Bakes on Mesh is coming is to depreciate all (or at least most) appliers (and the onion-skinning of mesh). Skins will be the first casualty of this; it is what people will want first and even if only partially used, the skin will be the one used.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

How will this work with the mesh bodies out now that I'm working on? That's my confusing part to me.

Basically you just wear the texture as a skin and just link the body to the proper slots, and it'll just apply the body texture onto it.

Now granted, if your mesh body in question isn't using the standard SL body template, existing texture clothes and other layerables obviously won't match, but you can still use those things with texture clothes and what not that DO match the bodies specific UV.

Edited by Digit Gears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

How will this work with the mesh bodies out now that I'm working on? That's my confusing part to me.

You do not need to be concerned with that *at all* - it is the mesh body creators who must make the standard system layers work with their mesh. Al YOU have to do is make the system layers so they work on a non-mesh, classic system avatar. Nothing at all more than that. And it's easy - since you already have the textures that you're using the UUIDs from for the appliers, all you do is create a new skin, name it, drop the textures into the little texture box, hit save, DONE. That's the full extent of all effort required of you.

For BoM to work on Maitreya body then Maitreya has to do the work to make it compatible. The same for Belleza and Eve/Adam, Jake, Gianni and also all the head makers. The burden is on THEM to make it work right. All you have to do it make the system skins.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 6:48 AM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

How will this work with the mesh bodies out now that I'm working on? That's my confusing part to me.

Think of both appliers and system "wearables" (skins, etc.) as texture delivery systems. The textures you make will be identical for either system assuming the geometry of the body doesn't change.

The only thing that an existing body will need to use BOM is the ability to have its textures set by UUID. That will allow the "magic" texture UUID's to be applied to appropriate sections of the body and then system wearables can be used for the ultimate textures to be applied (and will allow them to be composited together.)

If you're working with a body that doesn't use the default body mapping and uses more than the three "channels" of a default skin you'll need to make sure that enough baking "channels" are available for all the necessary textures. Right now BOM allows for the traditional three channels of the skin (head, upper and lower), two new "left" channels and three new "auxiliary" channels. Right now the five new channels can send any texture but the only type of wearable that can be used with them is the new "universal tattoo."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 2:39 PM, Blush Bravin said:

BoM does not work with appliers. Oz Linden has not totally ruled out the possibility that in the future it might be doable, but as of now, no it won't. But remember those appliers use regular old textures (or the UUIDs of those textures) to create the appliers. So creators have the textures and can make system layers for those products that are applier only products. I'm one of those creators and have begun adding system layers to my packages on all new creations in preparation for BoM. I will be updating my best sellers that are applier only packages to include system layers once BoM is really here.

I have begin to prepare my skins ready in layers too, whcih is easy for me to test since i own also the body lol. I need to say just missing the details about left arm and right and left leg as i saw, because this would be interesting to make asymetric skins and also for tattoo layers

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...