Take a word leave a word (game)

Derekmate

9 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

Which two words are you going with?

I've fallen into the habit of selecting either rags or blues tunes for my entries. When I first started doing this, I'd replace one word of the previous pair with "rag" or "blues" as in "Tiger Rag", but I quickly ran out of material, and I was overusing the genre terms. So I switched to two word titles, like "Maple Leaf Rag", and hoped people would understand that "rag" (or blues) is to be ignored. You should also ignore extraneous information in the YouTube song description, such as artist or composer. So, in "Sweet Virgin Blues (Studio)", I intended the word pair to be "Sweet Virgin". Now and then I might insert a tune with a one word name, like "Vatican Rag", and in those cases "rag" is not to be ignored.

When I parse other people's potentially ambiguous entries, I hunt for the most plausible two-consecutive-word sequence, ignoring what I think is extraneous. You are free, of course, to pick any words you wish from what I post. As Rhonda noted, I'm not above posting tunes with YouTube titles that are intentionally ambiguous, such as "Victor Military Band Slippery Military Rag", where I'd kept the word "Military" from the previous post. While I'd intended "Slippery Military" to be my word-pair, I understood that "Victor Military", "Military Band" and "Military Rag" were all defensible solutions. Rhonda, to my delight, took a right turn where I'd intended a left. That's part of the fun of this thread.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CheriColette said:

It was 'sweet virgin' Erwin (just glance over the blues/rag, bits in the song titles)

Title was "sweet virgin blues," which is 3 words, which is why I asked:

10 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

Which two words are you going with?

To which he answered:

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've fallen into the habit of selecting either rags or blues tunes for my entries. When I first started doing this, I'd replace one word of the previous pair with "rag" or "blues" as in "Tiger Rag", but I quickly ran out of material, and I was overusing the genre terms. So I switched to two word titles, like "Maple Leaf Rag", and hoped people would understand that "rag" (or blues) is to be ignored. You should also ignore extraneous information in the YouTube song description, such as artist or composer. So, in "Sweet Virgin Blues (Studio)", I intended the word pair to be "Sweet Virgin". Now and then I might insert a tune with a one word name, like "Vatican Rag", and in those cases "rag" is not to be ignored.

When I parse other people's potentially ambiguous entries, I hunt for the most plausible two-consecutive-word sequence, ignoring what I think is extraneous. You are free, of course, to pick any words you wish from what I post. As Rhonda noted, I'm not above posting tunes with YouTube titles that are intentionally ambiguous, such as "Victor Military Band Slippery Military Rag", where I'd kept the word "Military" from the previous post. While I'd intended "Slippery Military" to be my word-pair, I understood that "Victor Military", "Military Band" and "Military Rag" were all defensible solutions. Rhonda, to my delight, took a right turn where I'd intended a left. That's part of the fun of this thread.

• Like 1