Take a word leave a word (game)

Derekmate

7 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Too many words, I'm not sure which to reply to, so I'm gonna pick "Fostering Unity" and my reply is 

Fostering Friendships

:P

The two words Tali had in mind were "Guitar Girl" which followed from my "Steel Guitar" (in which "Rag" is ignored, as is often the case because I post a lot of rags).

That said...

In this case, you can't ignore Rag, as that leaves you with only Friendship (not that friendship isn't enough!).

;-).

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The two words Tali had in mind were "Guitar Girl" which followed from my "Steel Guitar" (in which "Rag" is ignored, as is often the case because I post a lot of rags).

That said...

In this case, you can't ignore Rag, as that leaves you with only Friendship (not that friendship isn't enough!).

;-).

You trying to break dis hyeah game?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You trying to break dis hyeah game?

Yeah, exactly. Post an image or a video you want. I know very well what TalliGurl wanted. But I wanted to also make a point. If you cannot type your words then you are leaving interpretation wide open for the next person.

18 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Yeah, exactly. Post an image or a video you want. I know very well what TalliGurl wanted. But I wanted to also make a point. If you cannot type your words then you are leaving interpretation wide open for the next person.

Any interpretation is limited by the rules of the game. As stated in the OP "say two words and the next person removes one of the words and replaces it with another word". So each post must contain one word that was in the previous post, and that word must have been in, or adjacent to, a word in the post before that. Some posts, mine in particular, do leave some wiggle room, but not a lot.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I interpret Maddie’s post as “Christmas: Friendship”, as she already identified “Rag” (and variants, one assumes) as “null”. 

Friendship Magic

When I post rags and blues tunes, I consider only the tune's title, not the author or performer. I try to avoid tune names with more than three words, including "rag" or "blues". So, I intend "Maple Leaf" rag to be "Maple Leaf" and "Texas Rag" to be Texas Rag. Whether "Rag" is "null" depends on the context. I may post something like "The Beaumont Rag" with the intention that "the" is the null word because the song generally referred to as "Beaumont Rag". In your cited example, I'd intended "Friendship Rag".

Whether anyone understands my intention is, of course, unknown. Sometimes I don't even understand my own intention, so it's all good. "Christmas Friendship" is perhaps better than "Friendship Rag" because I've driven the word "rag" into the ground.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

So each post must contain one word that was in the previous post,

Precisely. And an image or video with not type-written text is not providing any words to keep or take from. If you claim that is the case, then the filename should be the words in question, no?

11 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

When I post rags and blues tunes, I consider only the tune's title, not the author or performer. I try to avoid tune names with more than three words, including "rag" or "blues". So, I intend "Maple Leaf" rag to be "Maple Leaf" and "Texas Rag" to be Texas Rag. Whether "Rag" is "null" depends on the context. I may post something like "The Beaumont Rag" with the intention that "the" is the null word because the song generally referred to as "Beaumont Rag". In your cited example, I'd intended "Friendship Rag".

Whether anyone understands my intention is, of course, unknown. Sometimes I don't even understand my own intention, so it's all good. "Christmas Friendship" is perhaps better than "Friendship Rag" because I've driven the word "rag" into the ground.

(Directed to everyone, just quoting Madeline so you get the gist of my response!  LOL)

No, if you post multi-media that contains more than two words then you leave the interpretation open to the next poster. If you want to specifically use the Title as your two words, then TYPE THE TITLE before your video or song or picture or whatever. DON'T. BE. LAZY. Communication in a type-written medium required type-written communication. Anything else is wide-open to interpretation. :D

Edited by Alyona Su

4 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

(Directed to everyone, not just Madeline!  LOL)

No, if you post multi-media that contains more than two words then you leave the interpretation open to the next poster. If you want to specifically use the Title as your two words, then TYPE THE TITLE before your video or song. DON'T. BE. LAZY.

It's not a matter of being lazy. I actually have to keep a list of tunes I've posted because I can't search the topic for the words I've used and I don't want to post duplicates. It would take me less time overall to type my intended two word phrase before the posted video.

It's more a aesthetic matter for me, and I don't mind that people might not grasp my intention.

• Like 1

It's a fun game, not a contest.  We each get a different kind of joy from it, so a bit of mild ambiguity allows for a broader definition of "joy".  Personally, I look to make a choice that is as unexpected as possible -- one that will bump the thread in a quirky direction.  Some people seem to have a talent for alliteration.  Some people never use an image.  Maddy is on a quest to find a musical twist in every post.  It's really kind of neat that there are so many ways for us to play the same game with the same rules (more or less  🙄 ).

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's a fun game, not a contest.  We each get a different kind of joy from it, so a bit of mild ambiguity allows for a broader definition of "joy".  Personally, I look to make a choice that is as unexpected as possible -- one that will bump the thread in a quirky direction.  Some people seem to have a talent for alliteration.  Some people never use an image.  Maddy is on a quest to find a musical twist in every post.  It's really kind of neat that there are so many ways for us to play the same game with the same rules (more or less  🙄 ).

I agree. I just felt like I was being scolded for my contribution before (I know that was likely not intended, but it did feel like that) - so, let's get back on-topic, shall wee?

PILOT CAR (Been watching the Formula 1 documentary on Netflix LOL)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's really kind of neat that there are so many ways for us to play the same game with the same rules (more or less  🙄 ).

When I see ambiguity, I generally look for as perverse an interpretation as possible. I can't fault Alyona for doing the same.

...sets herself on fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Thanks. Otherwise chaos!

• Like 1