Landlady still using my sim name that I paid for to LL

Caridee Sparta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I had rented a standalone homestead and I still see after 2 weeks since I left,the landlady had not change the sim name and still using my sim name that belongs to me since I have paid to LL for the name change.Is this allowed?Can anyone help as I would like to use my sim name again for myself and do not want people to be confused.I own a Landscaping business in SL and a group with that same name which is already established and people know me from my sim name too.What can be done about this?Any experience and help for this would be so kind.Thank you so much in advance.

Edited by Caridee Sparta

18 answers to this question

You do not own the name.  The name is assigned to that region and can never be used again for another region.  Region names are like avatar login names:  One per person, forever.  The current owner may change the name if she wishes, but you may never use it for another region, even if she does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You do not own the name.  The name is assigned to that region and can never be used again for another region.  Region names are like avatar login names:  One per person, forever.  The current owner may change the name if she wishes, but you may never use it for another region, even if she does.

Thank you for your input.I understand now I do not own the name but but I own a Landscaping Service and a public group name based on the sim name and that's why my intention is to use the same name since I've already establish myself with that name.

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

i seriously doubt you have any right on that sim name, because you never owned it, just rented.
The only one that can answer you is LL, send a ticket to support to let them have a look at it.

Thank you so much for your feedback and I will write to LL and see what they can do about it since I do own a landscape business and a public group of that name and have established myself with that name.

3 minutes ago, Caridee Sparta said:

Thank you so much for your feedback and I will write to LL and see what they can do about it since I do own a landscape business and a public group of that name and have established myself with that name.

business name and group aren't tied to a sim, and you can name any parcel you own the same, it's just not free for a region name at this moment. And taking Rolig is right it won't be available anymore either.

Edited by Ethan Paslong

4 minutes ago, Caridee Sparta said:

Thank you for your input.I understand now I do not own the name but but I own a Landscaping Service and a public group name based on the sim name and that's why my intention is to use the same name since I've already establish myself with that name.

You may of course continue to use the name for your business and for a group, but Linden Lab never allows you to re-use the name of a region.  It really is like an account login name.  The region name is permanently associated in all databases with a specific region, even when that region no longer exists.  If they allowed you to re-use the name for a different region, it would create a confusion in the records: a definite no-no.

• Like 1

i think that you will only have any chance to be able to force a name change of the current sim if you can provide RL evidence that the name is your RL trademark.  And probably also be able to show that the now usage of the region is some kinda landscaping oriented business 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You may of course continue to use the name for your business and for a group, but Linden Lab never allows you to re-use the name of a region.  It really is like an account login name.  The region name is permanently associated in all databases with a specific region, even when that region no longer exists.  If they allowed you to re-use the name for a different region, it would create a confusion in the records: a definite no-no.

Well I thought the landlady will change to her own name creation once the land is reclaimed back since this is my first time experience in this matter,thank you for the explanation.

2 minutes ago, Caridee Sparta said:

Well I thought the landlady will change to her own name creation once the land is reclaimed back since this is my first time experience in this matter,thank you for the explanation.

If an actual region name change has a cost associated with it, I would not expect the landlady to automatically pay to change it to something else after you left.  Though it sounds like even if she does, that you will not be able to use the name again as a region name - but you can certainly use it as a parcel name (even for a region sized parcel). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ellestones said:

i think that you will only have any chance to be able to force a name change of the current sim if you can provide RL evidence that the name is your RL trademark.  And probably also be able to show that the now usage of the region is some kinda landscaping oriented business 

Thank you for your input.I will not force anything and also it's only my SL business and the only reason is I'm afraid that I have to waste time with repeated explanations to people or paid group members and might think the sim is still there since they can see the name and think that I lied about closing the sim.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Caridee Sparta said:

That's a really good idea.  I'm pretty sure that the next person who rents the region will change its name, just as you did.  If not, you might think about sending the new renter a very polite note to explain the history behind the name, suggesting that she change it to something that she might like better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's a really good idea.  I'm pretty sure that the next person who rents the region will change its name, just as you did.  If not, you might think about sending the new renter a very polite note to explain the history behind the name, suggesting that she change it to something that she might like better.

All I can see is that at the moment the sim has the same name as it was before both sim and region name.

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

Sorry Rolig, I'm going to correct you, region names are not reserved and they can be reused by anyone.

If a region is abandoned, or the name changed, the old name becomes available immediately to *anyone* that wants it.

You can look at Tyche's grid survey reports on the other forum to see people picking up old names. She lists them as regions returning to the grid.

What I suggest is that the OP contacts the old agent and buys the name from them. As long as she hasn't burnt her bridges it should be possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/9/2018 at 3:36 AM, Callum Meriman said:

Sorry Rolig, I'm going to correct you, region names are not reserved and they can be reused by anyone.

If a region is abandoned, or the name changed, the old name becomes available immediately to *anyone* that wants it.

You can look at Tyche's grid survey reports on the other forum to see people picking up old names. She lists them as regions returning to the grid.

What I suggest is that the OP contacts the old agent and buys the name from them. As long as she hasn't burnt her bridges it should be possible.

I am not sure what do you mean by "buy" it from the old agent as I already paid about euro26 for the sim name change.I have been informed that not only she didn't change the sim name using her own and still using mine,she changed her mind of renting the whole region to 1 renter and now has divided the region into 2 parcels and rented one out and both parcels region name that is my brand.And every now and then,I have to reply people that are confused since the name of my brand still appears on the sim if they are using the URL.The new renter has not change the name yet as well even though she told me she has her own ideas.I have written to LL and they advised me the only thing to do last to claim the name if normal conversations does not work is to file for a DCMA.

45 minutes ago, Caridee Sparta said:

if normal conversations does not work is to file for a DCMA.

will only work if you own that name under a license, patent or copyright, otherwise you'll be counterclaimed and your dmca will do nothing. with the same time the risk it will get a nasty legal issue with financial consequenses. 
Even you paid for the name change... you left the sim without changing the name back, so the new owner has it as it was left, including name.
In many countries, if a shop name is the same as a non related thing/object/place, you have no claim.

As already mentioned, you can name any parcel at the name you like, and the landmarks will show that name, so there's not a lot of confusement possible about it.
People need to renew their landmark, you could send it out in a group, or even as auto updated by use of your vendor or client list.

27 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

will only work if you own that name under a license, patent or copyright, otherwise you'll be counterclaimed and your dmca will do nothing. with the same time the risk it will get a nasty legal issue with financial consequenses. 
Even you paid for the name change... you left the sim without changing the name back, so the new owner has it as it was left, including name.
In many countries, if a shop name is the same as a non related thing/object/place, you have no claim.

As already mentioned, you can name any parcel at the name you like, and the landmarks will show that name, so there's not a lot of confusement possible about it.
People need to renew their landmark, you could send it out in a group, or even as auto updated by use of your vendor or client list.

Well, that was suggested but I can't be bothered with the fuss for DCMA.I was never informed that I have to change the sim name when I leave the sim nor was i allowed to do that because the landlady already auto return everything to me without me able to go online due to busy RL and that was after 1 day rent overdue even though she was informed few days I would clear the land asap before that while I still have a few days more of rental paid.People have already being notified through all possible channels but its just that people are confused same name being used or associated with anyone else but me.I have never seen or heard anyone doing this before to another person.

12 hours ago, Caridee Sparta said:

Well, that was suggested but I can't be bothered with the fuss for DCMA.I was never informed that I have to change the sim name when I leave the sim nor was i allowed to do that because the landlady already auto return everything to me without me able to go online due to busy RL and that was after 1 day rent overdue even though she was informed few days I would clear the land asap before that while I still have a few days more of rental paid.People have already being notified through all possible channels but its just that people are confused same name being used or associated with anyone else but me.I have never seen or heard anyone doing this before to another person.

If changing the name of a region costs money, then I would not expect that the land owner would automatically pay to have the name changed to something else, nor would I expect that new tenants would automatically be requesting a name change of the region.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.